test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Devs, Awareness and Accuracy sound wrong. i checked Thesaurus.

wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
edited March 2019 in Player Feedback (PC)
i was send here by moderator to give suggestion and to make my case what sound wrong, after i checked Thesaurus and Merriam-Webster.

ok, devs, you picked 2 wrong words, Accuracy and Awareness. poor choices of words and left me more confused and possible other players may get confused.

let start with Accuracy, i look up Merriam-Webster, it mean hit right on, lucky hit, perfect shot, precision, and exactness,
so, in my word, it meants "How good you land a hit successfully"

then in your word for "dodging ability", that blew my mind more confusing, how can you say accuracy for dodge, evade, or even "repose".
correct word for Evasion ability to dodge, side-stepped, or shield up, fend off, "parry", and counter-move. since Evasion sound so much better for dodgings.
Accuracy is for perfect shot if hit successfully.

next up, Awareness, it means alert, perception, recognition, and insight.
your word is expose or piercing for armor peneration.
so, Awareness seem wrong choice for attacking to expose the flaws in defenses, then it would be "Expose", but sound better as "Piercing"
if dont like those words, then use "Assault" for breaking thru the armor defenses.

Comments

• Options
    hercules125hercules125 Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    If their goal is simplicity, I honestly wish they'd go back to the old City of Heroes system:
    1. Damage - increase amount of damage done to the enemy
    2. Defense - decrease the probability of being hit by the enemy
    3. Resist - decrease the amount of damage done to you when you are hit by the enemy
    4. Accuracy - increase your chance to hit
    5. Recharge - decrease the cooldown time for your powers
    Nice and simple, and very easy to understand.
  • Options
    i like recharge for cooldown shorter timers. but what they do with devs' pick of the words? as you said, accuracy was for chance to hit. that was correct. but why they choose for evade ability?
  • Options
    frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    edited March 2019
    I'm afraid you still misunderstand. Read this very carefully and try to understand. Language seems to be a major issue here.

Awareness is a counter stat to Combat Advantage. Not Armor Penetration. By being more aware of your surroundings and the enemies, you're able to counter the combat advantage they get by flanking you.

And, what do you even mean by dodging? There is no stat for dodging... Or are you referring to Deflection? Deflection doesn't help you dodge or evade, you still get hit. It helps you redirect a portion of the damage. For example:-

FrozenFire
  • Options
    what? i dont understand that poorly diagram, which is "awareness or accuracy'? i almost agree, but then realized getting my mind twisted. enough! i am going to ask linguist.
  • Options
    Accuracy from thesaurus. https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/accuracy there is a list.
    i fail to see accuracy as "dodge", not list dodge or evasion as accuracy, it means successfully hit, not evade.

then, Awareness, devs said "armor penetration", i see "tactility" listed in page 3, https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/awareness?s=t
    again, failed to see as penetration as awareness.

in my definition of what i see at first glance, when i first asked in older post i had few days ago, were assume Awareness as perception, seeing hidden objects, secret doors or traps, and invisible or cloaked creatures.
    and Accuracy that i assumed also was for "perfect hit" or to hit successfully.

so you are saying i am wrong? thesaurus wrong?
    then show me exactly where those words it means so i can look up, i had search and wasting my time showing that error devs picked.
  • Options
    lordtweety#3604 lordtweety Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    Use a dictionary. Do not use a thesaurus if you want to get the "correct" meaning if a word. A thesaurus week only give you synonyms. A synonym does not have the same meaning. Not if you are wanting to be pedantic. @frozenfirevr 's diagram is an accurate depiction of deflect.
    Main: Angels Scar
    Guild: Ruathym Corsairs
  • Options
    lordtweety#3604 lordtweety Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    And forgive the autocorrect, trying to type on a phone while on a bus.
    Main: Angels Scar
    Guild: Ruathym Corsairs
  • Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    wylonus said:

i was send here by moderator to give suggestion and to make my case what sound wrong, after i checked Thesaurus and Merriam-Webster.

ok, devs, you picked 2 wrong words, Accuracy and Awareness. poor choices of words and left me more confused and possible other players may get confused.

let start with Accuracy, i look up Merriam-Webster, it mean hit right on, lucky hit, perfect shot, precision, and exactness,
    so, in my word, it meants "How good you land a hit successfully"

then in your word for "dodging ability", that blew my mind more confusing, how can you say accuracy for dodge, evade, or even "repose".
    correct word for Evasion ability to dodge, side-stepped, or shield up, fend off, "parry", and counter-move. since Evasion sound so much better for dodgings.
    Accuracy is for perfect shot if hit successfully.

next up, Awareness, it means alert, perception, recognition, and insight.
    your word is expose or piercing for armor peneration.
    so, Awareness seem wrong choice for attacking to expose the flaws in defenses, then it would be "Expose", but sound better as "Piercing"
    if dont like those words, then use "Assault" for breaking thru the armor defenses.

Piercing? Piercing killed PvP! Kill it! Killit with fire!
  • Options
    frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    wylonus said:

i fail to see accuracy as "dodge", not list dodge or evasion as accuracy, it means successfully hit, not evade.

Accuracy is NOT dodge!!!
    wylonus said:

then, Awareness, devs said "armor penetration", i see "tactility" listed in page 3, https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/awareness?s=t
    again, failed to see as penetration as awareness.

Awareness is NOT Armor Penetration.

You clearly aren't reading what I'm saying from the very beginning. I give up.
    FrozenFire
  • Options
    wylonus said:

i dont understand that poorly diagram

Sorry I tried... :expressionless:
    FrozenFire
  • Options
    it okay, you tried. i look at diagram, and wonder which was accuracy or awareness.

i already ask who was linguist, saying i was correct, and you were somewhat correct and bit of wrong from what he thinks, saying they could be "millennials" who use Urban Dictionary or non english team who might translate badly. but that not me saying.
    other asian made games did use Accuracy, so it was asian term, not an english term, so, those players could understood, so then it made me realized why i couldnt find in american/english dictionary.
    okay, so, i get it now, and understood. it just awkward to me. please give me few days to absorb because i am old school 57 yrs old.
    once again, still not comfortable on those 2 words. when i see those words. and my mind said "ew! so gross"

let stop badgering.

so, my message was meant for devs.
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Neither was accuracy or awareness - he was trying to explain to you Deflection - which is the stat that accuracy is the OPPOSITE of.

They are opposed stats:

Accuracy is opposed to Deflection - meaning the higher your Accuracy score the less like your opponent will deflect your damage. Note: deflect damage (reduced damage), not dodge the attack completely. This is an offensive stat.

Awareness is opposed to Combat Advantage. This means the better your Awareness, the higher your chance to avoid the combat advantage damage your opponent is getting on you. This is a defensive stat.

Please note: in no way at all does armor penetration figure into these stats. Back away from your initial assumptions because, while you are certainly correct that Awareness would be the wrong word for Armor Penetration within Neverwinter, that correct statement has nothing to do with Neverwinter as there is already a separate stat for Armor Penetration. Likewise, when you say Awareness doesn't mean the same thing as evasion or dodging, you're also correct. Accuracy is not the same thing as Evasion or Dodging, it's in fact the opposite of that in a fight - which is basically how it's implemented in Neverwinter - Accuracy is designed to counter the opponent's attempt to deflect (aka evade) your damage (see Frozenfirevr's Deflection diagram above).

So you need to take a step back and realize that you've almost entirely misunderstood the stats you're questioning. I believe there's a language barrier here, so make sure you are attempting to define the correct terms in the correct context before continuing this conversation because if you don't, I can tell you right now, with regards to the devs, this post will go absolutely nowhere because it's completely inaccurate as far as the game of Neverwinter is concerned.

#argumentum ad logicam
  • Options
    thank you Kvet, your post made it very clear and easy to understand, i got it now. just give me few days to absorb. others had tried but you did better and beyond to make me understand.
    good night, tired and ready to wrap up.
    i am sending apologies to others for trying.