test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official M16: Paladin Feedback

Comments

• Options
    majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    Looks like the new Oathkeeper class feature, Pulse of life, looks like it sends out its heal in four pulses after the daily is used. Sorta like a Discount Beacon of Hope.
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    I haven’t gotten to do much testing yet, but right now the changes of this mod to stats and our encounters feels like a double nerf. I still need to do a lot more testing admittedly, but first impressions are not good.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    karvarekarvare Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Was there a drop in HPs somewhere? I am down almost 100k HP.
    Edit:
    Found the problem, boons no longer give any HPs it seems.
  • Options
    Yeah, this patch needs a total rework & gear and boons at a minimum before continuing with testing.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Ok so I have done a rework of my gear and boons and arrived at a set of "end game" stuff that works.

This is what my stats and gear look like (rank 13 Radiants all slots, but 1 Offence with a Rank 11 Tene in it, Bronzewood and Eclipse enchants for weapon and armor):

So with those stats in mind here is some feedback:

The 4 mythic artifacts is the only thing in my gear that seems unreasonable, as it is needed because the old mythics are now iL 150 and simply do not provide the stat bonuses needed to meet the needs of the new content; that's before we talk about what is needed to get those 4 artifacts. While not specifically Paladin related I think this is an important consideration for all players and something the devs need to reflect on or adjust in the coming weeks.

Now onto the Paladin proper.

I ran a 1 Rune Expedition with a Blademaster this morning before adjusting my stats. During this run I slotted Vow to have some aggro pull, but didn't worry significantly about trying to get aggro - at the gear level of the 2 characters a 1 Rune Expedition is solo content. However I did notice that Vow's aggro might as well have not existed, I suspect because at that time I wasn't over ArP cap the loss of damage and the mechanics of Vow meant that he was easily overpowering its effect.

This evening I tweaked my gear to what is shown above and things felt much better.

Despite earlier concerns about Smite, the power and rotations (Relentless, Smite, Burning Light in Expedition, Burning Light, Smite, Bond in LotMM) felt smooth and effective enough to hold their place in a rotation.

Specifically with this change, once my gear was set, solo content felt reasonable, and I could see the value in tanks and heals for party content (which I look forwards to trying in earnest at some stage *fingers crossed*)

So at this point the things that stand out for me as needing attention are:

Oathkeeper
    - Oath of Devotion needs to be enabled.

Justicar
    - Vow of Enmity still feels lackluster, either through lack of damage or too long a cool down.

- Divine Palisade- its still terrible. (I did hold and test it, but its basically a paladin only effect, unless someone gets lucky and is standing in it and gets Palisade on their feet.) As a worst case solution for Justicar, Divine Palisade should be turned into Channel Divinity with an aggro generation and 10% personal DR attached if nothing else (see next point).

Oathkeeper & Justicar
    - Divinity it did feel a little better, but Composure is still permanently locked in my Passives, which is counter to the goals of trap powers etc. Divinity should recover to full when out of combat immediately, and be adjusted in combat to have the effect of Composure included.

- Feats. Still a meh selection that lock players into choices and are full of traps.

I don't expect people that want to use Templar's Wrath to have a million Temps and never take any damage to be happy with the current preview situation. But it does seem to be making progress towards the global game goals.

Next up is testing with my Mod15 gear and Vanrakdoom drops OP.
    Post edited by obsidiancran3 on
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    So I'm on the 19k iL version of the toon in Vanrakdoom.

There is a 24k iL paladin with 420k HP and everything else is in end game stat range.
    There is a level 79 with 18k iL and 280k HP and still in Mod15 end game gear.

Then there is me with 460k HP....

I have to wonder if this is why people are finding things hard on Paladins?

Well I went through Waning Darkness (the 19k one is parked outside it for testing purposes) and even with basically doing 50% damage it was a fairly straightforward run with the Paly (and my similarly geared Wiz).

The main thing is the "stop, go" nature of having to wait for Divinity (essentially absent for Wiz, about 2 times I paused for 5s while waiting for a cool down vs after every fight or during fights waiting for Divinity).

The change to Smite made it so that I was ultimately able to swap to Bane for trash clearing and just use Smite for the boss vampire fight at the end. (And the dragon if I would have gone on with it).

Other wise nothing new to report from the level 80 end game, at least that is relevant to the paladin.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • Options
    ananxiousnoob#0947 ananxiousnoob Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    @obsidiancran3 First of all can I just thank you, and everyone else, for doing all this testing. It is interesting to read about what you and others have found. I saw your comment about the IL24k 420HP paladin and the lvl 79 IL18k 280 HP paladin you came across perhaps finding things hard. As an IL16k 203HP paladin , on console, it has given me even greater cause for concern than I already had. I have to admit to being enamoured of and dependant upon, Templar’s Wrath to get me through all situations on live lol
  • Options
    emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    Im afraid to post now, even tho I got plenty to say
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • Options
    fns2005fns2005 Member Posts: 350 Arc User
    > @karvare said:
    >
    Not So Divine Pali... aww hell Cone of Suck, well you managed to actually make this even worse than it was. So congratulations, didn't think it was possible. Drains divinity and the stamina I will need to recharge that divinity? April Fools?

I agree here the divinity and stamina drain could be too much.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

So I'm on the 19k iL version of the toon in Vanrakdoom.

There is a 24k iL paladin with 420k HP and everything else is in end game stat range.
    There is a level 79 with 18k iL and 280k HP and still in Mod15 end game gear.

Then there is me with 460k HP....

I have to wonder if this is why people are finding things hard on Paladins?

Well I went through Waning Darkness (the 19k one is parked outside it for testing purposes) and even with basically doing 50% damage it was a fairly straightforward run with the Paly.

The main thing is the "stop, go" nature of having to wait for Divinity.

The change to Smite made it so that I was ultimately able to swap to Bane for trash clearing and just use Smite for the boss vampire fight at the end. (And the dragon if I would have gone on with it).

Other wise nothing new to report from the level 80 end game, at least that is relevant to the paladin.

Other wise nothing new to report from the level 80 end game, at least that is relevant to the paladin ?

Are you kidding me? How about the massive nerf to everything? Is that not new to you? It is to me. The slower Divinity Recovery was not new considering @asterdahl warned us. But its one thing to read abt it and another to experience it..

How abt the useless Dailies? 1500 mag Daily does 30-40k dmg to an average mob? Not a boss, an average mob. Whats the point of Dailies if they cant even 1shot some random pve, solo mob?

Every week on preview has been either a massive buff or a massive nerf. @asterdahl did say they have a vision for the Justicar and I guess for all other classes, yet the nerf/buff cycle implies otherwise - namely they are either clueless or simply baiting us. I just hope once this is over and m16 is live we gonna end up on a buff cycle rather than nerf.

Here's another thing - reactive blocking, something that would actually reward players who pay attnt, is not present in Neverwinter. You gotta either stay holding Block all the time or take the hit. You know why? Cause critters attack animations are off, off and they've nvr been fixed. A random boss looks like he's abt to attack, you raise your Shield, nothing happens, you drop your Shield in order to execute an Encounter or an At Will and boom, you take a hit. So @asterdahl fix your game before making us hide behind shields will ya..
    Post edited by emilemo on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    @emilemo did you read both my feedback posts?

The comment on the end of the one you quoted was in context of my other post. I have the same list of things that bother me about the Paladin at iL24k and iL19k level 80. Things are just slightly more obvious at the lower iL, but they are the same things.

Also as noted, with this weeks patch the first things you need to do are respec your feats, put your powers back (I used Composure and Aura of Vengeance) and then make sure your Armor Pen is above 50k if you can, above 60k ideally. Then go play around with things.

A big change happened, you need to figure out what that means for your character again.

Oh and viewed in isolation last week's tank buff and this weeks stat changes are indeed a buff/nerf cycle, but viewed together as part of a planned change the overall effect is easier to see. Squishy toons got better access to higher damage in effect, but those extra HP tanks got are more needed as the squishy folk are going to loose them right fast. A hit that my Paladin might raise their shield for and take nothing nearly kills my 300k HP SW... so it does all work together to make 1/1/3 parties more of a desired thing.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • Options

@obsidiancran3 First of all can I just thank you, and everyone else, for doing all this testing. It is interesting to read about what you and others have found. I saw your comment about the IL24k 420HP paladin and the lvl 79 IL18k 280 HP paladin you came across perhaps finding things hard. As an IL16k 203HP paladin , on console, it has given me even greater cause for concern than I already had. I have to admit to being enamoured of and dependant upon, Templar’s Wrath to get me through all situations on live lol

My 19k version is high 16k on live. Rank 13 Radiants in defense and the usual other choices. On preview with her Augment out she is 460k HP, without it (at blue) she is 330k HP. Right now its a bit of a "wait and see" game for companions, but if things stay as they are now Augment is a strong choice for tanks on the pet front.

In Mod16, you will have to use your shield to soak hits. You cannot dodge them like DC,SW,HR, or CW. So block it is. Fortunately blocking is not without its benefits for us.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • Options
    soarokisoaroki Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    @asterdahl
    TAB proposition " Overflow divinity "

Your overflow divinity incrases your threat, and you gain 10% more hp,
    incrases your incoming damage 5%, and enhance your shield, allies within 15' gain 10% damage resistance

Cost divinity or stacks
    For exemple: ,,When you or your ally take damage from a foe you gain stacks, when you have 30 stacks u gain Overflow divinity... "

---

Comment and proposition:

Each or most feats, looks like "You must use this skill!" namely:
    * Secred shield - Fine but, gives boost to skill
    * Valorous Judgement - I think it is THE MOST useless feat in this game, who came up with idea like this?

* Divine reciprocation - Heal for tank? why we dont get for example something like this: When you take damage from a foe you have a 10% chance to apply heal or " When you take damage from a foe you gain stacks, when you have (10 stacks for exemple) your next attack restore 1/2% your max stamina or hp/divinity, ap"

* Bound to the land - Fine but, once again its boost to skill, forcing us to use it

If you change TAB mechanic, feats could modify it's behavior. I think it is better solution because TAB is used by every player, and skill composition is just personal preference, so why force people to use specific skills.

* Divine justice - many have problem with solo campagin, i thinik it should also give boost to stamina/divinity.

Finally, a few words about auras, and gameplay
    * Aura of protection, Aura of wrath are weak, in end game, as far as i know, everyone will achieve stat caps in PvE,T i think this aura should be able to exceed percentage cap

* Aura of Valor, should decrease threat generated by party, slightly more than now, acctualy even with this aura, DC healer is able to be on top of threat list.

Composure, Divine Challenger" Grant's smite the added effect of placing you at the top of the threat list of the target" DC had better agro then me. Boss sometimes was going crazy

Companions tank, with healer can do the same work as paladin.
    BUG or...? Paladin has less basic stats than other classes. I wrote it 5 days ago.
    Constitution does not increase HP, ok, ok maybe 5k hp max...but is not worth, only for AP.
    Divine Protector, Astral shield sometimes i dont see animation..

Summary, in my opinion only tank paladin have problem, biggest problem is TAB, aura, and feats. Healer is best, 0 CD, 0 threat, shields, good cost divinity. People like dynamic games, mean "spam skills like old HR or OP..."
    Post edited by soaroki on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Hmm check the stats, this is without a respec, just loaded the new patch and thats what my Juticar looks like. Pretty powerful stats arent they, even without re-adjustments. Yet the dailies post nerf are way too weak for a Daily. At-Wills are non factor. Feats are yet to be looked at. Tab ability is still the same joke. So I guess we, indeed, have nothing new to report

https://i.postimg.cc/W36XVr2j/111.png
  • Options
    marnivalmarnival Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User
    Tbh right now am seriously thinking of switching to Barb use as much transmute as possible to make him look like a paladin change his name to Sir something and pretend his is my new paladin with a 2 handed Holy Avanger when mod 16 hits.

After playing gf pal gwf to 80 in new content + tons of masters in 1,2 and 3 crystals activated both solo and in groups I can not for my life defend playing Pal any more. It is not only that barb has better feats better damage better defence better movability better heals better threat it is the lack of good feats and fun play with the Paladin.

Sure you can with right companion/gear make Pal work but the playstyle is extremely slow and locked down compared to both Gf but even more so compared to barb.

Feats need to become something much more useful like they made with 80 ones to vanguard as it is now you can press 1 or 2 feats for the sake of it and dont even have to activate the others won´t make a differance any way.

New class feats reflective damage from party very good idea but to little to make it count.

Tab this one is so bad and it been written so much about it I am just lost at words here.

Dailies 2 useful 1 semi useful rest just bad.

Devinity is imo a misstake to implement as it just couses a balance issue and locks down powers as useless that you otherwise would use. I also prevent combos as you simple can not afford to use more then 1 at a time steriotyping game play even more.
    To much it looses its meaning 2 little and it hampers the class I just can not see adding it would give the paladin class something good in the end.

I did feel a lot better playing my paladin (23k+) until i played barb gf so if you never played them and are happy with how your paladin works my strong suggestion is just keep playing and do not try barb because you will hardly be that very happy after that....

Best
  • Options
    edited March 2019

- at least now we have something with grp utility to slot in a party. That is an improvement

Also, heres a music piece to congratulate the devs on their monumental achievements
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=EqQuihD0hoI
    Post edited by emilemo on
  • Options
    emilemo said:

- at least now we have something with grp utility to slot in a party. That is an improvement

Also, heres a music piece to congratulate the devs on their monumental achievements
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=EqQuihD0hoI

They're still paltry when paired with the content. Don't know about all of you but I'm tired. Unless things are improved and the bugs are worked out, I think I'm might toss in the towel. If I don't just call it quits outright, I'll probably bring either my DC and/or my HR back off the bench and make them my mains again.
    ~Shia~

Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)

Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    If this went live tomorrow I’d be looking at:
    Sentinel for my tank
    Hellbringer for my dps and maybe heals.
    Paladin turned into a source of enchants for those 2. (see next post by me)

Which is why I keep putting time and effort into testing and reporting, because OP is the reason I’m still here at all.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    While this is my “gut response” to the experience, my thoughts are more optimistic after a second attempt and the realisation that the problems I experienced may be very tied to the party composition and aggro management. Though the concern at the end about “not every team is a good one” stands.

Well.... So I got a little party together and we took a walk through LotMM....

Tanking: Once people learn this dungeon, and with a full size party I see no particular problems with tanking the dungeon. That worked fine.

Healing: At the campfire I swapped to heals as there was another tank (who had been running no aggro specific powers) and it was a good opportunity to try out actual healing.

It was terrible.

Even before the Divinity turned into rum...

So the magnitude of the heals compared to the magnitude of the boss damage was such that any individual heal simply wasn't having an effect.

I tried, Cleansing Touch, Divine Touch, and Divine Shelter, none of them really moved the other PCs health bars worth noting.

There was just no way to mitigate the damage that the first boss puts out through a combination of those powers and other things.

Once the Divinity was gone it was way worse.

I have no idea what it is like with the other healing classes in this level of content, but if they can keep up with the damage out put of the boss and the Paladin cannot, the Paladin can only tank content.

Incredibly discouraging experience in heal spec, especially when the play of the paladin is so static as it is.

(Yes maybe a team of good players doesn't have that problem, but most players don't have that luxury and this was a horrid experience.)
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    @obsidiancran3. Any luck with the Divine Barrier DT and DS give? Any luck with the Dailies? :'( And you said other things? Was it negative effects? If so, we can only heal them one at a time instead of as a group which puts the oathkeeper at already a disadvantage to the other healers.
    ~Shia~

Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • Options
    If there was ever evidence that Cryptic was using subliminal messaging to get us to spend on more loadouts, this would be it.
    ~Shia~

Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • Options

@obsidiancran3. Any luck with the Divine Barrier DT and DS give? Any luck with the Dailies? :'( And you said other things? Was it negative effects? If so, we can only heal them one at a time instead of as a group which puts the oathkeeper at already a disadvantage to the other healers.

Feats: Enhanced Cure Wounds (with Cure Wounds), Cleansing Ward, Intravening Light (with Lay on Hands)
    Passive: Pulse of Life

Dailies were LoH and DJ. LoH was useful when I was able to get it targeted and cast in time.

Divine Touch’s barrier was as useless as it’s heals.
    Same with Divine Shelter.

I tried using Circle of Power, only to have the boss drop one of her AoE splats in it and not be able to use it because Circle Power is the same size as her splats and lasts as long....
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • Options

Feats: Enhanced Cure Wounds (with Cure Wounds), Cleansing Ward, Intravening Light (with Lay on Hands)
    Passive: Pulse of Life

Dailies were LoH and DJ. LoH was useful when I was able to get it targeted and cast in time.

Divine Touch’s barrier was as useless as it’s heals.
    Same with Divine Shelter.

I tried using Circle of Power, only to have the boss drop one of her AoE splats in it and not be able to use it because Circle Power is the same size as her splats and lasts as long....
    Unreal. I was afraid of that with respect to most of what you mentioned. If they keep this as is and it goes live, the OD mechanic had better be unlocked and EXTREMELY good! Otherwise I'm left wondering what the point of this all is. Thanks a bunch for the testing you're doing with this.
    ~Shia~

Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • Options
    Ok so I was able to get back into LotMM tonight and do some experimenting.

GF: trying to tank with Dreadnaught
    CW: did the CW thing fine.
    SW: trying to heal but ending up tanking because cast 1 heal, have all the aggro. <- this was me.

So with some effort, we got to the first boss and tried it. It was terrible. Cast a heal get all the aggro not be able to heal. The troubles I had healing anyway due to pets and other things getting in the way not withstanding. So after a couple of fails I swapped to my geared Pali (leaving my geared SW) and we went back in.

So now its, GF and CW in DPS and me on tank. Now with no heals to support me this is a brutal fight. But the CW and I managed to get her to half under pretty bad circumstances.

This renewed my confidence in things.

Step 1 to healing dungeons: get a good tank. A good Paladin can definitely fill this role.

I’m still very concerned about our ability to effectively heal, but I also recognise that our ability to tank, and the importance of a tank in dungeons means as a class we are definitely still desirable.

Now I just need to find a good tank or a dedicated healer to learn how to do this all with and get better testing done on group content.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • Options
    So with this latest patch, the solution to the problem of low hitting at-wills was to nerf the encounters and dailies? :lol: Delightful. The mobs lost 30% of their HP (which is good), but now (with the new values) it seems that Radiant Charge, a daily...a precious DAILY does potentially 2/3 the damage of Smite - an encounter. An encounter we can fire off almost 5 times at full divinity does (with each potential hit) MORE damage than a daily we can fire ONCE? Really? Guys, please relook at Radiant Charge and please either give it a damage boost to put it on par with smite at 900 mag or increase the stun duration or include some kind of debuff. Its just bad.
    ~Shia~

Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • Options
    marnivalmarnival Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User
    Damage can be tweeked quite easy and whenever the devs decide it will take 1 patch to change the damage output from dailies or encounters HOWEVER feats and class feats is another matter.

Seriously how can so many feats and not to mention class feats become so utterly useless.

It is not like you shoose from to many good that you want to use you are DESPERATLY trying to find anything useful.

I always wondered how hard can it be to make class feats that are useful depending on how you combine them there is almost always 2 max 3 that you use before any other.

No matter what class feat you pick it should impact on the peformance in a way that makes a difference and actully feel like you sacrifice something for NOT USING IT.

After playing around with Justicar Vanguard and Sentinel after latest patch (which still is hard go figure out tnx to no patch notes :o ) I can only say that not many will play Justicar as it is now if they have a shoise.

I can ofc be supriced but if you plan to launch this mod 23 of April I see no chanse to fix all issues that excist atm......

Best