test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Event and New content letdown.

Well, when I read that there was going to be a brand new never before seen event come to Neverwinter I was excited. But that excitement ended way to quickly. Turns out the rewards aren’t very stellar, the hair styles are nearly $7 US dollars, the companion is $25 US dollars and there are ZERO outfits! So that killed the excitement. Enclave looks cool though.

As for the latest content. Pretty upsetting the added campaign is catered towards lower leveled players. But the biggest, most upsetting and frustrating part was the new crafting system for profession and the commissions... not a fan of starting all over. Annnnd let’s just say that I crafted a bunch of items, logged out and came back the next day only to find that they are no longer on the commissions list. It’s been 3 days since I crafted them and they still aren’t on the list. So, resources wasted and if that’s what to expect then there is zero point in crafting.

Between all this and the lack of anything else it’s becime real hard convincing myself to stay up to date for VIP and even harder to log in at all. I also pay for a friends VIP monthly as well and pretty much all of our alliance has left.

Was it really the intention to shut out all the endgame playerbase, focus on new players who might not know any better in hopes they purchase items like the $25 companion?
Has the game really lost so much funding that this kind of tactic is being used? I understand that any mmo needs income to stay afloat but killing your playerbase kills the game.
And yeah, I know, for every one endgame player that leaves, five new players join in. But eventually that stops happening and then there will only be a few left. I’ve seen it happen recently with another MMO that’s now just a fish floating, taking its last few breaths.

Now I’m just left to wonder who’s decision was it to make this latest content, crafting/professions changes and less than eventful event and why didn’t the rest of you suggest that maybe this was a bad idea?

I thought the Ravenloft campaign was a good turn around. The zone was big and looked good. The repeatables... well, no one likes them and the story itself could have been much longer. But it felt like a much needed addition. What happened to THAT kind of creativity? Why did we steer away from THAT kind of content? This new campaign is silly, has bad voice acting (sorry to those who did the voices but, just sounds like you’re bored and reading from the script with no sense of character). Not to mention the guest character is named after a recreational drug. -_-

What are everyone else’s thoughts? The event, new content, the future...
Founder of Knights of Ra guild in Neverwinter PS4. Founder of The Arashikage Clan in Defiance, formally of PlayStation Home.

Comments

• autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,133 Arc User
    My thoughts....

I only started playing a bit more than a year ago but busted by butt to get my professions up and just when I did– poof no more. The new system is not fun, cumbersome and takes to much time away from the game. I am not doing it mostly because I don’t like it and I am waiting until they fix the bugs. That being said, there is some great new gear on the AH that makes gearing up alts very affordable, something they want to do to let new players feel they are advancing once they hit that level 70 grind wall.

There is a problem they have with new content across all categories in that anything they add has to be both approved and licensed by WotC which is not a cheap process. Unless it’s their own in house content or other IP’s but that can also get pricey. My feelings, from what I am seeing and hearing out in here in the Bay Area, are they are really trying to budget their cash.

Acquisitions Incorporated is nice if you are a new player because it can really help you level to 70 quickly. And, because you can still do the other campaigns you can mix it up. That being said, it totally breaks from the high fantasy feel of traditional D&D and wrecks immersion and even though there are some ok bits, it’s just not funny enough to get a pass. It feels cheap.

Part of Neverwinter’s biggest issue is the same issue that is hitting all games but especially AAA games and MMO online games. Stockholders and management are really trying to catch the ROI model that mobile gaming has brought to the forefront of gaming. This means that companies like Cryptic Studios is getting massive pressure from Perfect World to do and make more with less. From our POV that translates into lower quality updates and game play while Cryptic comes up with better more efficient ways to get us to spend on ZEN. (Which is fine as it’s their game and decision.)

What they are doing however is turning off long time players in hopes that new players will make up for the old timers leaving. I will admit, I spend money on Zen every month, probably more than twice a month average and suspect I am what they might call a “small whale” I don’t mind dropping money if I find what I am doing is fun, but I can tell you since mod 15 I have spent considerably less money and just don’t feel motivated to because the game doesn’t seem as fun since the change. I run 11 toons and all of them are 13K IL or higher. My main being just shy of 17. To do that in a year of playing, you have to drop some money which, like I said, I don’t mind if it’s fun. (And I am not that hard to amuse.)

Which brings me to the next part. QA has suffered big in the year I have been playing and I don’t doubt that is again due to slashed budgets and smaller, less experienced teams. I’ve seen this before, if they don’t correct the course they will sink. I hope with all the social media and online attention brought to these new issues they can because I want to keep playing.

Time shall tell.

Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts