test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New player dungeons (PC but all really)

justicesupremejusticesupreme Member Posts: 9 Arc User
edited January 2019 in PvE Discussion
To start my main is 45 as of last night. So I am still very new even though I’ve had an account and a character for years, I’ve just really started diving into the game. Real life and other obligations kept me from Neverwinter until recently.

But onto my topic and it’s most likely an old one. And that is dungeons and the lack of being able to have fun after you queue up to run them. The reason doesn’t appear to be coming from the dungeon itself but from the fact that the high level people don’t scale down appropriately to be able to participate in the dungeon at any sane level. The last three attempts I made to run dungeons I was stuck with people who took off running like they were super speedsters and had the entire dungeon slaughtered before I was a quarter of the way into the dungeon myself, which left me not being allowed to participate or even getting to attack a mob.

I’m beginning to understand the astral diamond race. And I’ve heard people say it’s the people you’re running the dungeon with that are the problem. However, I feel that’s only part of the problem. The scaling is an issue and should be redone to make the dungeons challenging for everyone participating. I’m all for higher levels being able to scale down and make the dungeons somewhat easier as they should are more powerful, but the way it is now destroys the experience for those coming up thru the levels. And even at high level I would think it would be more fun to have challenging content than to race through a dungeon slaughtering everything with ease.

Anyway just my opinion. I’m curious, Has there ever been any talk of adjusting this by the developers? Last night after it happened for a third time in a row I just logged off in the middle of a dungeon run after the level 70 had killed 2 bosses 2 minutes in. And I had never even made it to the first boss spawning point. It was my first time in that dungeon and it was just ruined. I saw no point going further.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    hawkeyelhawkeyel Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    Being they had a game called City of Hero's that they in fact did do a rather good job at making it possible for all players of any level to team up and run things together. I was hoping they would be able to do this in this game. Seems they have yet to decide how to go about that in this one. K-Team seems to be another attempt at it. They might also want to make it so that higher level players are not allowed to use any powers about the level they are playing at.Same could be done going the other way and allow lower levels to have powers they would not when running higher level runs. Perhaps they will get it decided at some point.
  • Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

No one wants sub-70's in their runs.

Especially in the LEVELING dungeons!
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    This thread was already started once by the same op..

Until he reaches lvl 70 and actually understand the plight of getting RAD.. he really cant comment on this subjectively. He is seeing a very small part of the whole issue.

• Options
    thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    he probably is level 70 by now. it should be mentioned though that up to level 70 is just an introduction. those dungeons are not the dungeons anyone runs for fun. the real levelling begins AT level 70 and takes MONTHS not days or weeks
  • Options
    karvarekarvare Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    Well, if you remove or penalize those over 70 then you must do the same to pre 70's. In other words, at level 45 you should be treated the same. You are too high a level for say, Cloak Tower, therefore same rules for a level 70 should apply to you. Then, when higher level characters stop using the queue, the lower level characters can rest assured that "if" the queue pops they will be greeted with level appropriate fellows. Problem solved.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User

he probably is level 70 by now. it should be mentioned though that up to level 70 is just an introduction. those dungeons are not the dungeons anyone runs for fun. the real levelling begins AT level 70 and takes MONTHS not days or weeks

If that's the case, someone owes me a buttload of levels. I haven't seen a level change since I hit 70.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    lordnagy#1603 lordnagy Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    > @greywynd said:
    > he probably is level 70 by now. it should be mentioned though that up to level 70 is just an introduction. those dungeons are not the dungeons anyone runs for fun. the real levelling begins AT level 70 and takes MONTHS not days or weeks
    >
    > If that's the case, someone owes me a buttload of levels. I haven't seen a level change since I hit 70.

Sure you have, it’s called “item leveling” and I’m sure it has changed since you hit 70.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

If the devs want to call them "levelling" dungeons then they should be used for, you know, levelling so make them give only XP and not rAD for people who are "levelling"...

...and splitting these low effort dungeons into "levelling" for "levelling" characters with them getting more XP and "not-levelling" for "not-levelling" characters who would just get the rAD...aka split them in pre-70's only and 70's only...would stop this whining instantly.

This was suggested even before the abomination of Random Queues went live.

So, leveling characters don't get any rAD at all, since they only have access to the leveling dungeons. Seems fair 0,o

Edit: There is probably too much XP in the leveling dungeons, due to the presence of Level 70 players. I have a level 57 toon. They almost always level up during a dungeon run. I have occasionally increased 2 levels during 1 run. I only run that toon thru a dungeon after they have completed the storyline content.

The only reason that level 70 toons have access to the leveling dungeons is to help the leveling dungeons pop faster. The reward for level 70 characters "helping" leveling toons is access to more rAD. At this point, I think the devs need to re-examine this idea. The new players are not really learning much, except how to chase a faster toon thru content, to the exclusion of actually experiencing that content. instead what we seem to be getting, according to threads regarding CN, FBI, SC, is level 70 toons that do not know how to play their character, except to follow behind a much stronger toon, and collect rewards. In fact, I think the XP earned by leveling toons needs to be reduced, not increased. The level 60 - 70 run needs to be made longer, if not harder. (although harder might not be a bad thing) so that new level 70's have some actual experience, and can participate in more content, without "leeching."
  • Options
    greywynd said:

If that's the case, someone owes me a buttload of levels. I haven't seen a level change since I hit 70.
    Boons are the new levels!
  • Options
    Yeah, seems like.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    delta2119delta2119 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    If you want to do it slowly, pick Private mode in Dungeon menu, most are doable with a companion and eventually healing potions. Or with friends. Even if scaling would be perfect, old players will rarely stop to check the paintings, read lore, explore every corner, open every small chest, they even mostly ignore everything but the boss and the end loot (rest is worthless to them and they already explored every corner long time ago).
  • Options
    frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    delta2119 said:

If you want to do it slowly, pick Private mode in Dungeon menu...old players will rarely stop to check the paintings, read lore, explore every corner, open every small chest...

Pirate King's Retreat is a fun one to explore on your own. I wish more dungeons were like that.
  • Options

delta2119 said:

If you want to do it slowly, pick Private mode in Dungeon menu...old players will rarely stop to check the paintings, read lore, explore every corner, open every small chest...

Pirate King's Retreat is a fun one to explore on your own. I wish more dungeons were like that.
    I wonder how many players took the time to explore the Mad Dragons Lair during the Tales of Olde event... O.o
  • Options
    No one had time with the timer counting down.

Still don't see Mad Dragon in the queue on preview. Could have sworn it was on the list of things coming in M16.