test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

brackets for PVP

athena#9205 athena Member Posts: 575 Arc User
its frustrating to enter PVP and face up against PVP elites and have no chance whatsoever. So here is an idea: Set up brackets based on experience and win/loss ratio. Every time you enter PVP you gain experience just for participating and extra for every hit (time in combat) and every kill. you must gain a certain amount of experience and a certain number of wins to proceed to next bracket. Each time you enter PVP you are matched with others of same bracket (public) or you gain a handicap (private) similar to golf where you are more evenly matched with others in the private PVP. This way a newbe 70 can have fun facing up against those with a little more experience.

Bracket levels Bronze, silver, gold, platinum, ultra.

each bracket gets different levels of rewards when competing. Higher the bracket the better the reward.

Comments

• Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

its frustrating to enter PVP and face up against PVP elites and have no chance whatsoever. So here is an idea: Set up brackets based on experience and win/loss ratio. Every time you enter PVP you gain experience just for participating and extra for every hit (time in combat) and every kill. you must gain a certain amount of experience and a certain number of wins to proceed to next bracket. Each time you enter PVP you are matched with others of same bracket (public) or you gain a handicap (private) similar to golf where you are more evenly matched with others in the private PVP. This way a newbe 70 can have fun facing up against those with a little more experience.

Bracket levels Bronze, silver, gold, platinum, ultra.

each bracket gets different levels of rewards when competing. Higher the bracket the better the reward.

this was asked for, for years. The standard response was" NO! I don't want to get stuck wearing crappy gears while I am waiting to queue."
  • Options
    ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    I'm not saying I like your ideas or not but something definitely could be done to make PVP more fun. Too bad this isn't the team to do it as evidenced by the fact that years later people are still making the same complaints of fresh 70s being matched up against professional PVPers.

I recently started playing a little PVP after avoiding it like the plague for about 2 years. Some matches were fantastic, close, frenetic, etc. Some were discouraging and showed that the same issues that plagued the pvp queues in the past still exist. The matchmaking quite frankly sucks.

On another note, the queue system also sucks. I was trying to play with 2 other buddies and found the new system horrible for friends to play together.

• if all 3 of us tried to queue together we ended up getting 2 randoms and facing a premade squad 9 times out of 10. Sometimes we were competitive. Most times it was a facestomp.

• if we queued up individually we rarely ended up on the same team so it defeated the whole point if trying to pvp together

The entire system and mode needs an extensive rethinking.
  • Options
    well there is a new Developer team now, hopefully they can come up with some better designs for the PVP community. And hopefully they will take in the communities suggestions and ideas to heart. I'd love to see a player inspired PVP system rather than developer one. As of now, i don't play PVP cause i don't like the competitiveness of that unbalanced system.

I much prefer a system that is like sports than that of a brawl. Where the strengths and weaknesses of the players don't matter as much as accomplishing goals. Something like Harry potters broomstick game or Mercedes lackey The Collegium Chronicles training game in there. Where you have riders, footmen, defenders and scouts and its all a version of capture the flag. Races of mounts over randomized obstacle courses. Games similar to the summerfest ball game (but faster paced). Maze running where you face mobs and misdirections. Etc..
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    All great ideas, but none of them will work until the pvp playerbase increases in size. Until then all that will happen is queue times, already terribly long, will become even longer.

First incentives should be added, then better matchmaking tools when there are enough people queuing to support them. Pvp is the true endgame, and rewards should reflect this.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    People like the new and different, and such if NWO works it right they can 'advertise' a whole new PVP system and get allot more players involved than there is right now. I'd even try it if PVP was completely revamped, which is saying a lot. The mod15 workshop is a good example of players trying out the new. Many didn't like it but they tried it out first. If PVP 2.0 is done right, NWO can increase its player base much better than it is currently.
  • Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    jonkoca said:

All great ideas, but none of them will work until the pvp playerbase increases in size. Until then all that will happen is queue times, already terribly long, will become even longer.

First incentives should be added, then better matchmaking tools when there are enough people queuing to support them. Pvp is the true endgame, and rewards should reflect this.

Marketing PvP as "true endgame" will guarantee that the playerbase will never increase. You need new blood, not the same old blood that led us here in the first place.
  • Options
    i did the pirate islands RLQ the other day in my GWF and i ran with a SW from my alliance. We basically raced through it, killing mobs and racing to next area. It was thrilling and allot of fun for both of us. It got me thinking that the pirate islands zone would be a great PVP mount race zone. Add in more traps and such and random events and it could be allot of fun.