test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Farming Gold for Workshops

quickfoot#7851 quickfoot Member Posts: 488 Arc User
edited December 2018 in Player Feedback (PC)
The cost of gold getting more and more out of hand. In the past few weeks I had been able to buy enough gold with ad and churn a small profit while also being able to fill some commissions, but it's at the point where the cost in ad is too excessive to be considered viable, I'd rather just turn ad into Lady Begum directly and sell my gold for ad. I understand that part of this is the market flux due to the supply and demand of gold and crafted materials, so I started stacking gold gain and farming gold myself, but with such small amounts of copper/silver dropping from mobs it takes hours of mind numbing farming to maintain my workshops for a day. Another option I have is to put a stop on production for a week or so and craft certain items that i can resell for a profit in gold, and then resume production for as long as I can until I need to repeat that. One thing is certain, I will not be paying the amount of ad for gold people are currently asking for.

If I had one request from the developers it would be to increase the amount of gold that drops from critters. I don't mind farming gold, it passes time. I just wish that I could maybe spend a few hours farming, and earn enough gold to sustain me for a longer time than 1 day, a week would be great, but for 3-4 days would be good too. Basically I think we need to increase gold drops by 3-7x.

Giants in iwd seem to drop the most gold, I get around 21 silver pieces from each, but to make the 210 gold I use per day, I need to kill around 1000 giants, a couple hundred less if I sell gear that drops for gold instead of use for rps. This takes between 4-6 hours btw, depending on how many breaks I take, so no time to actually play the game.

Guildie - "Wanna join tong?"
Me - "Can't, I still have to farm gold for 3 more hours."
Guildie - "^^"

If anyone else has some other secret way to farm gold that I am missing, share the secret please =)

Comments

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    Make Potions of Healing. Cost 1 silver and some copper. You get 12 potions per. You make about 20 silver back on those dozen.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    using any gold drop enchants and insignas?
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    wylonus said:

wearing vistani arms?
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    No major secret is necessary; the practice of crafting consumables and junk blue objects to sell for gold is well-known and does the job.

You can't realistically fund major crafting through actual gameplay unless, maybe, you are killing mobs nonstop for hours per day just to pick up plates to sell, and forget it if you're completing multiple high-level tasks at increased speed and/or commission cost. Or if you craft on more than a single character....

I wouldn't waste time with any insignia or guild boons, etc. The base drops from mobs are so low that increasing them by X% doesn't make a dent. You know you're in trouble when the most gold any mob drops is about 1 silver in base value, with the majority of trash dropping less than 100 copper.

The devs have thus far missed an opportunity to make professions more inclusive with the rest of the game by giving players incentive to earn gold through normal gameplay. Mob drops should be increased, and/or quest completion should reward much more gold. I still would like to see daily Workshop Quests (that level up in difficulty and rewards along with Workshop level) that parallel the Stronghold Quests for completing three daily tasks in various regions, and have those Quests award either gold or Workshop Exchange Credits.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• quickfoot#7851 quickfoot Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    Thanks for the comments everyone.
    wylonus said:

I do stack gold gain on one of my alts, I have168.8% gold gain and am aiming for at least 200%. I am using Tymora's Lucky Enchantment, which works alright, except for the bags not auto-looting. I managed to farm 300 gold yesterday, however, that took at least 8 hours of gaming. Time spent included questing for Makos' ring, running a few dungeons to get daily rad, invoking and managing workshops on 7 toons, and maybe around 4 hours farming giants in somi; each one dropping just under 25 silver each with current gain, selling loot drops to a npc, and the Tymora's r11 enchantment.

wearing vistani arms?

Unfortunately, I chucked the Vistani arm pieces in m14 when I got them, :anguished:
    greywynd said:

Make Potions of Healing. Cost 1 silver and some copper. You get 12 potions per. You make about 20 silver back on those dozen.

I had been making lesser tidespan potions on 2 of alts, barely makes a dent, but I'll look at healing pots for more gold per day.

I mentioned increasing gold drops to some alliance members last night, a few said they didn't like the idea because then gold wouldn't sell as well. That might be true, but the problem is utility. Gold has 2 or 3 utilities at the moment, running Workshops, swapping enchants, and maybe buying pots for some who use what the merchants sell. AD on the other hand has much more utility including buying Zen on the ZAX , ranking up companions, buying what you need to refine enchantments, etc, etc. There's a point where if the price of gold becomes too expensive, it won't be worth buying; and in my opinion, we are already there.

be aware of Gold Sellers! if devs not doing right and players not happy and might turn to 3rd party options.

we need better flow so that we dont need any 3rd party sellers. if devs tighten up or point of being nerfed, it will bring sellers back in business for cash, and if they get cut in by devs or get squeezed out of business and players leaving.
    doesnt devs know these gold are just pixels and cheap as typing.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Do elementary crafting tasks. You will earn profit. My 2 brand new character which I made in mod 15 now have over 500 gold each which are all farmed by themselves through crafting and AI questing. They did not do anything with balm neither. They are 2 of the 8 characters I play now. Hence, they are not my main and did not get most of my time or attention. These 2 characters will have level 3 workshop tomorrow.

No, I don't go to the field to farm gold but I do pick up every loot and sell them for gold if the price is right.
    Yes, I did think about being a gold bar seller (as craft for gold instead of craft for something else to sell). :)
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    Potions of Minor Healing make a decent profit. Gather nettles and well water. Turn well water into stilled water. Turn nettles and stilled water into potions of minor healing. I did this for a couple of days and then got tired of having to constantly deal with professions and stopped. It was good while it lasted. The amount of work required to maximize your income in this way is the primary reason why the developers will likely never make any changes to this.
    edited December 2018

Potions of Minor Healing make a decent profit. Gather nettles and well water. Turn well water into stilled water. Turn nettles and stilled water into potions of minor healing. I did this for a couple of days and then got tired of having to constantly deal with professions and stopped. It was good while it lasted. The amount of work required to maximize your income in this way is the primary reason why the developers will likely never make any changes to this.

I understand what you mean and that is why I do not do the very low level potion anymore (unless the toon is still leveling). The low level potion has good profit margin in terms of ROI. However, for absolute amount of gold it earn vs time, they are not.

I also fit the quick profession tasks with invocation schedule. i.e. since I will go back to the character to do invocation anyway, I may as well do collection. Before I leave the game for the day, I switch the tasks to the tasks that take long time to complete.

Since the recent patch "fixed" the delivery box so that you can't wait for delivery anymore, the time spend on collection is a lot less than before. i.e. you can't sit on it for 15 minutes per toon anymore. There is no temptation to wait anymore (because you can't).
    If the delivery box is filled up, it is no big deal.

*** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • ayemswat#9728 ayemswat Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    The build up to launch mentioned creating a player market for crafted items to be sold for gold as one of the goals of the profession update. I've spent time just monitoring the trade and zone chats for some sign of this ...NADA. I've spent hours at a time "listening". There are offers of enchants and drops, the usual 3rd party spam pirates, but hardly a mention of crafted goods for trade for gold. Craft items either sell for AD on the AH, are converted to refinement points, or end up vendor trash with lower level items selling to vendors for the same price as higher end items. Many of them require components that actual cost MORE from the same vendors. Why bother making level 70 to vendor when it requires less work, time and material to vendor level 30s?

The Auction House needs an option to sell items for gold in order to make the economy support both AD and Gold. For years the game economy has treated gold as next to useless, with very few actual uses, player to player. Sure, it cost gold for some basics, but these were all play/game transactions. Players passed gold back and forth with their own toons and guildies, a few friends maybe...but the majority of transactions involving gold were with vendors, or some other game functions. The major gold exchanges involving players were either ZEN market or illegal gold farm transactions.

On the other hand, player to player transaction via the AH and ZEN exchange are booming, although they require a good bit of patience. Why not allow player to player AH transactions to also use gold? Perhaps even ZEN exchange AD/Gold transactions? IF this were legally possible in the game mechanics, perhaps it might finally put a crimp in the 3rd party gold farming for real world dollars...
    edited December 2018

The build up to launch mentioned creating a player market for crafted items to be sold for gold as one of the goals of the profession update. I've spent time just monitoring the trade and zone chats for some sign of this ...NADA. I've spent hours at a time "listening". There are offers of enchants and drops, the usual 3rd party spam pirates, but hardly a mention of crafted goods for trade for gold. Craft items either sell for AD on the AH, are converted to refinement points, or end up vendor trash with lower level items selling to vendors for the same price as higher end items. Many of them require components that actual cost MORE from the same vendors. Why bother making level 70 to vendor when it requires less work, time and material to vendor level 30s?

The Auction House needs an option to sell items for gold in order to make the economy support both AD and Gold. For years the game economy has treated gold as next to useless, with very few actual uses, player to player. Sure, it cost gold for some basics, but these were all play/game transactions. Players passed gold back and forth with their own toons and guildies, a few friends maybe...but the majority of transactions involving gold were with vendors, or some other game functions. The major gold exchanges involving players were either ZEN market or illegal gold farm transactions.

On the other hand, player to player transaction via the AH and ZEN exchange are booming, although they require a good bit of patience. Why not allow player to player AH transactions to also use gold? Perhaps even ZEN exchange AD/Gold transactions? IF this were legally possible in the game mechanics, perhaps it might finally put a crimp in the 3rd party gold farming for real world dollars...

You sell your stuff to vendor to get gold. Use gold to buy gold bar from vendor. Sell gold bar in AH to get AD.
    If you want your good craft which can't sell for high value gold through vendor, sell it in AH to get AD and then use AD to buy gold bar.

Gold bar transaction through vendor is 1:1 and no lose. 100 gold gets 1 gold bar. Sell 1 gold bar to get 100 gold.
    I mention this because the old way through buying potion from vendor and selling back to vendor had lose.
  • pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    I am just reading all this complicated and quickly changing manipulations and schemes and such and I just have to ask, is this fun? I mean I am so turned off by this profession update it is making me become turned off to the whole game in general. The transition was a big HAMSTER you to people who invested in the previous system and the new system smacks of elitism as there is no way a casual player can keep up with all the BS involved. Just how is this an improvement?
    edited December 2018

I am just reading all this complicated and quickly changing manipulations and schemes and such and I just have to ask, is this fun? I mean I am so turned off by this profession update it is making me become turned off to the whole game in general. The transition was a big HAMSTER you to people who invested in the previous system and the new system smacks of elitism as there is no way a casual player can keep up with all the BS involved. Just how is this an improvement?

I can only speak for myself.

Yes, it is kind of fun comparing with before which was boring but yet I did that everyday.
    Yes, for me, it is an improvement and at least, it has 'collect all'. :)
    Yes, there is a learning curve. Previous one had its own learning curve too although it was a lot more simple and that is why it was boring.
    I did not bother with Mastercraft in previous version. Now, I have the stomach to try it.

For the new player, if they take the time to know how, it is not hard. I consider it is easier than old profession. I am a brand new player for the new profession too. I create a new character in mod 15 and he is doing pretty good without input from his brothers/sisters, no AD, no gold, no resource, ... That is he started profession from scratch from level 1.

For me, it is a puzzle. The fun part is to solve the puzzle. I also understand many people hate puzzle.
    i am being honest, workshop tasks are becoming toxic and disliked, and very buggy, i check Merielle Begum's daily sale quota, seem the refined beewax vanished from her list and i was told it was 5 days rotation, but it been over a week now.
    devs is just wasting players' time and draining what we earned.

sick of making tea, gather high end materials, then tea supply runs out, send out to gather more tea leaves and water, then repeat cycle. not ideal of "fun" from dev's vision. i prefer old format when we can run 9 heroes/crafters, and now we do 3 for gathering and 3 for crafting but the box stop all progresses when it get full, this is pure frustration.

WHAT I LIKE TO SEE for workshop, a major overhaul redo into basic, and stop all that time sink cycles and RNG.

what players wants, they go out for quests, loot the chests, or help others to kill bosses, instead we wasted time messing with crafters and gatherers duty for 1-2 hours a day, we dont have time for it, Old profession was the fastest way to do it.
    still, many players got a serious roadblock on mastercraft tasks because some master materials are too few and using survey map scroll are expensive, and gathering materials are way off when blacksmith need tons of adaminatine sands and instead they get loads of ebon woods or some kind of oil, ratio is way off track.
    those need redo also, need better random raws per pull, not 1 or 2 per pull when we need 5-8 raws per pull to reduce gathering time and move on to next steps as quickly as possible, not that 3-4 weeks trying to collect marks for scrolls.
    It's Hurts!

one last thing, those profession kits, it is still lame and weak. please add materials, and higher grade materials in standard non-key chests, and special materials can be found randomly in boss chests. this is to help and lessen the frustrations. i hope this would be considered.

before i go play, it would be nice for those ex-heroes now gatherers could find a mystery chests as rare random surprise prize(s) as unique materials or find upgrade items for crafters.
    edited December 2018
    wylonus said:

i am being honest, workshop tasks are becoming toxic and disliked, and very buggy, i check Merielle Begum's daily sale quota, seem the refined beewax vanished from her list and i was told it was 5 days rotation, but it been over a week now.

It is a 16 days rotation with a not so obvious pattern.
    Some groups repeat 2 times and some groups repeat 3 times within the 16 day rotation.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

You sell your stuff to vendor to get gold. Use gold to buy gold bar from vendor. Sell gold bar in AH to get AD.
    If you want your good craft which can't sell for high value gold through vendor, sell it in AH to get AD and then use AD to buy gold bar.

Gold bar transaction through vendor is 1:1 and no lose. 100 gold gets 1 gold bar. Sell 1 gold bar to get 100 gold.
    I mention this because the old way through buying potion from vendor and selling back to vendor had lose.
    That's why I only buy my selling potions with AD.
    thank you, that was good observation, will start tracking for "16 days rotation"
    so that is 16 days, should be plenty until it open up for workshop credits.
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    I dont know.. I have the opposite problem, I have lots of gold to sell due to years and years worth of playing and no one ever offers anything of real value to me to take it from my hands.

Doesnt seem to me there is this great market everyone keeps complaining about.. seems to me, that alot of profession people figured out how to get thier gold and doesnt need mine :-( sad faces

wylonus said:

thank you, that was good observation, will start tracking for "16 days rotation"
    so that is 16 days, should be plenty until it open up for workshop credits.

Not my observation. Hence, I cannot take credit for it. Last time, this was mentioned the thread was gone and I believe I was the last one posted in that thread. I did not get a warning. Hence, I don't know what exactly happened. As I said, the same set can happen 2 to 3 times in that 16 days. I don't remember how many sets. May be only 7 sets.
    i see

• strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    wylonus said:

devs is just wasting players' time and draining what we earned.

Like @plasticbat - I rather enjoy the new crafting system as have many others I've talked to. I know there were some who on the PREVIEW thread didn't like it, which I mean is fair to say, yet 'a few' I'd say their arguments approached toxic levels. You however just seem a little more disappointed, but I "think" as you are patient and wait for the right Artisan's to apply things do get better.

I know the previously referenced author identified some 'new' information for you to consider.

You also have a second puzzle if you have Material Credit as well, cause the (AH) Lady may offer you 40, 60, &/or 120 for some materials or possible more. But if you have Material Credit that can greatly speed up acquiring some of them. But be careful cause the cost each require in Material Credit isn't at a 1:1 ratio for AH Credit.
    • Divide 500,000 by 40/60/120/xxxx or (AH Credit) to determine how many "#" you require to fill commission.
    • Then see the cost in Material Credit 16, 40, 80, 120, 200 or more to buy - or purchase extra from AH?
    • You need to 'x' or multiple the Material Credit for each by the "#" you require to determine which achieves it best.
    • Or if your buying Material on the AH 'which' allows you to fill the AH Credit for the least Diamonds.
    I admit it requires a little bit of thought - but I think that's a good thing. I get some don't like the fact the crafted final materials like Oils, Glues, Leathers, Cloths, Ingots/Plates can only be crafted 1 at a time or at most 3 concurrently. Still many recipes only require 1-3 of a single item, and anywhere from 1-4 different items depending on the gear or item. So there will be a little rotating between gathering or crafting materials with some artisan's while crafting the gear/items with others. They did that so you require a little more planning in how you approach things, but also so more crafters have to work together, cause if your not interested in crafting gear at least you can help produce items others might need.
    wylonus said:

WHAT I LIKE TO SEE for workshop, a major overhaul redo into basic, and stop all that time sink cycles and RNG...

....one last thing, those profession kits, it is still lame and weak. please add materials, and higher grade materials in standard non-key chests, and special materials can be found randomly in boss chests. this is to help and lessen the frustrations. i hope this would be considered.

before i go play, it would be nice for those ex-heroes now gatherers could find a mystery chests as rare random surprise prize(s) as unique materials or find upgrade items for crafters.

I too am a little shocked we arent' at least seeing a single 'Material 'sometimes' in a Skill Node. Most of the time you're almost always given 'Sweet Berries' 95% of the time, then paired with a Gem item like White Pearl, Black Opal, Aqua, or something else... ...so I'd certainly like that to be expanded, possible to vary the treasures a lot more, but also perhaps add a single Material back to Skill Nodes.

I don't think the issue was Skill Nodes, and I agree 'Chests' / Mimic's or Dungeons Chests could include 1 Materials as well. I think the over supply of many Materials was mostly caused by Temporary Merchants.
    Post edited by strathkin on
  • quickfoot#7851 quickfoot Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    I actually do enjoy crafting, even more now that I'm getting into master work.

The problem is that I have to do nothing but farm gold when I am not managing my workshops. While I have got enough gold gain, and artisans w/ -commission to be sustainable on a day to day basis, the gold farming aspect is not so fun.

Another problem I have, especially in mw, is the +1 or high quality result implementation is without a doubt bugged, but that's for another post. In short, I have found it is most likely impossible to get a +1 result in some tasks, regardless of how high your focus is and how many +1 mats you use. In other tasks, for example Blackiron Ingots, even when you have 0% chance to get a +1 and are below the advertised threshold to get a +1, you get a +1 100% of the time, if that's not a clear sign it's bugged, I don't know what is.

• grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User

I actually do enjoy crafting, even more now that I'm getting into master work.

The problem is that I have to do nothing but farm gold when I am not managing my workshops. While I have got enough gold gain, and artisans w/ -commission to be sustainable on a day to day basis, the gold farming aspect is not so fun.

Another problem I have, especially in mw, is the +1 or high quality result implementation is without a doubt bugged, but that's for another post. In short, I have found it is most likely impossible to get a +1 result in some tasks, regardless of how high your focus is and how many +1 mats you use. In other tasks, for example Blackiron Ingots, even when you have 0% chance to get a +1 and are below the advertised threshold to get a +1, you get a +1 100% of the time, if that's not a clear sign it's bugged, I don't know what is.

Try cutting each profession down to 5 days a week (including gathering).