test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Content Difficulty

SystemSystem Member Posts: 3,183 Arc User
This discussion was created from comments split from: [PC] Epic Dungeon Party Composition Problematics.

Comments

• Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    I just wanted to add that not all content is designed for all players, it is a fact. Read articles about "Bartle's Player Types", for example this one and it discusses this. Some players want one thing, others want another and it important to cater to both groups.
  • Options
    wizardlvl80#5963 wizardlvl80 Member Posts: 519 Arc User

I just wanted to add that not all content is designed for all players, it is a fact. Read articles about "Bartle's Player Types", for example this one and it discusses this. Some players want one thing, others want another and it important to cater to both groups.

@thefabricant I always respect your point view cause I have huge respect for what you are doing for the community overall. However I do not agree with you on this one.

Look at this from this point: none of the new content from mod10 is adressed for low or mid-tier players. Nothing.

Everything new is considered endgame now. As a casual you are stuck with etos and CN until you will vomit or quit your job to grind your HAMSTER. I know that now mid-tier players can (and should be able) to complete MSP or FBI. But it's 6 mods from then already (if you count 10.5 or 12.5 as well).

The only new thing not-endgame people got is the Merchant Princes Folly. And that's it during the course of previous mods. You could also count NSVA, but there was almost no point to complete it, since you couldn't complete your mod10 weapons upgrade by running it.

Overall I could agree that not all the content should be for everyone. But with so little content released every mod (1 dungeon/trial) I can't agree. Look at how fast people are bored with running dong, craddle or cr. And now put yourself in the shoes of people who are damned to run CN, etos other old dungeons every day, every mod.

There is too much "oh new dungeon, whatever, I will never run it" content right now. I find this a paradox that this game tries to be casual-friendly yet every new content they release seems to say the opposite.

Don't get me wrong - I don't have problems with getting into parties. I have two near BiS toons (HR and GF) and it doesn't affect me so much. But I see my guildies having problems, I'm trying to help them but there's not much fun in being dragged through the dungeon, knowing that you contribute minimum to your party. The other part is I don't have so much time to help all of them since I play casually as well.

Sorry for my long response. I hope you'll understand the vibe. Let's not forget that there are tons of other people out there. Forums is just the small community of the playerbase overall.

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

• Options
    frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator

@thefabricant I always respect your point view cause I have huge respect for what you are doing for the community overall. However I do not agree with you on this one.

Look at this from this point: none of the new content from mod10 is adressed for low or mid-tier players. Nothing.

Everything new is considered endgame now. As a casual you are stuck with etos and CN until you will vomit or quit your job to grind your HAMSTER. I know that now mid-tier players can (and should be able) to complete MSP or FBI. But it's 6 mods from then already (if you count 10.5 or 12.5 as well).

The only new thing not-endgame people got is the Merchant Princes Folly. And that's it during the course of previous mods. You could also count NSVA, but there was almost no point to complete it, since you couldn't complete your mod10 weapons upgrade by running it.

Overall I could agree that not all the content should be for everyone. But with so little content released every mod (1 dungeon/trial) I can't agree. Look at how fast people are bored with running dong, craddle or cr. And now put yourself in the shoes of people who are damned to run CN, etos other old dungeons every day, every mod.

There is too much "oh new dungeon, whatever, I will never run it" content right now. I find this a paradox that this game tries to be casual-friendly yet every new content they release seems to say the opposite.

Don't get me wrong - I don't have problems with getting into parties. I have two near BiS toons (HR and GF) and it doesn't affect me so much. But I see my guildies having problems, I'm trying to help them but there's not much fun in being dragged through the dungeon, knowing that you contribute minimum to your party. The other part is I don't have so much time to help all of them since I play casually as well.

Sorry for my long response. I hope you'll understand the vibe. Let's not forget that there are tons of other people out there. Forums is just the small community of the playerbase overall.

I understand that PoV but the thing is, those aren't meant to be played immediately. You can't finish your 1st grade and instantly go study for masters. There is a progression involved and if a person is staying at the same place over the years, I don't know what to say... Is that even possible?

Ravenloft has made it easier than ever for new players/characters to catch up. (I myself took a lv 70 alt that only finished Blackdagger Ruins and had gear from there through Barovian intro and managed to clear it). You can instantly get pretty good or even BiS primary gear in a couple hours just by tagging along with a friend on some hunts.

The dungeons eventually end up getting easy enough after a mod or two to the point that they're considered pretty easy. So, if one wants to be able to immediately play the newest/end'est' stuff, it can expected to need work.

I do wish the composition didn't matter as much as it does though.
    FrozenFire
  • Options
    wizardlvl80#5963 wizardlvl80 Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    @frozenfirevr

You have to admit that not introducing any content for mid-tier players for such a long time is not a good solution.

And let's be real - it's not about the gear. If it would be - no one (or at least lot less) would be raising this issue. You can have top gear and still fall during craddle run.

Also - Barovia doesn't give you bondings, companions or weapon enchantment which are the most important from all of the gear. So I disagree that you can easily "catch up" by getting better armor. But that's not my point.

I'm talking about none of the new content being good for casuals. They got nothing except for Folly in the last 1-1.5 year.
  • Options
    kangkeokkangkeok Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User
    If u like challenge, it does not mean everybody in this game likes them. Even some elites sometime takes their times off challenging content to relax and hang out. Although there are also casuals that tend to look for harder content when they get bored just to spice things up or they had their time to be off from their real life to play a challenging content. So, content difficulty is a subjective matter for everyone in this game. It is unfair to cater the content towards the elites while shutting out players that cant cope away from the content. Likewise, it isn't fair to makes content easy that the hardcore finds no point in playing. Its best to keep it both group to play the way they want. Multi tiered difficulty option with scaling of mob level should solve the problem from both sides. While rewards given should be tiered with the difficulty setting and so does the drop rates from 1% to 10% to be fair for everyone.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    I have to agree on something said above, linear stat returns and buff stacking are hurting the game. It is more or less impossible for content to be developed that is satisfying to a wide range of players when the differences between these players are so vast. The moment that Russian video came out last year, Cryptic should have had an emergency meeting to dissect it and stop it from happening again. Instead we have had a year of people repeating and improving on it until we have bosses that are more about phase changes than fighting bosses.

I don't blame players for trying to do things like one phasing, that is just how it goes. Ultimately, Cryptic takes on the role of the Dungeon Master and should look back to what Gygax wrote about avoiding Monte Hall campaigns, in terms of power creep not specifically treasure.

The solution isn't content that is specifically harder but reining in player power so that content isn't trivialized.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options

@frozenfirevr

You have to admit that not introducing any content for mid-tier players for such a long time is not a good solution.

And let's be real - it's not about the gear. If it would be - no one (or at least lot less) would be raising this issue. You can have top gear and still fall during craddle run.

Also - Barovia doesn't give you bondings, companions or weapon enchantment which are the most important from all of the gear. So I disagree that you can easily "catch up" by getting better armor. But that's not my point.

I'm talking about none of the new content being good for casuals. They got nothing except for Folly in the last 1-1.5 year.

They have, every single mod. I do not consider dungeons content that should be aimed to low end players, that is your campaign zone and hunts. Dungeons is the content that should be aimed towards end game content and currently it is too easy to qualify anyhow.
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited August 2018

The end-game content from 2 mods ago, is the new content for the casual players.

The whole MMO premise is you get harder stuff, as you get better, and repetitive grinding. Cryptic breaks it to cater to the casual playerbase by introducing catch-up mechanics. One intro quest into borovia, a bit grinding for bondings, etc.. and you can go into FBI. Tomb is now easier than ever, due to the same power creep, and reaching a higher IL is easier than ever when free gear, easy to get seals, and hunts give you the same gear as everyone grindded for a mod or two ago.

People whine about 'meta', but forget that the meta, or lets call it 'getting your group composition to compensate for lack of skill (and it's not a shame, nor great pride to be great in an MMO), not great build, and/or lack of gear' enables a wider participation.

• Options
    frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    edited August 2018

@frozenfirevr

Mid-tier is not something you stay at is all I'm trying to say. While we were playing, we played each of those mods and dungeons for 2-3 months continuously, the new players are expected to do it for atleast 2-3 weeks, and after that there is no way the next tier dungeon is impossible for them. They need to go through atleast some progression if not all. With games, you're always working towards something... Without an objective, nobody will be interested in playing.
    FrozenFire
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    pterias said:

Wanting harder content vs. easier content:

Many players, including myself, don't want content to be so hard. Some others want content that is MUCH harder. This seems irreconcilable, but I think if you look deeper there are common threads that have been mentioned many times. The problem isn't the content (usually), the problem is the vast difference in power levels between mid-geared non-meta groups vs. high-geared ultra-optimized groups.

4 things play into this, in descending order of importance:

.... stuff here.....

And you can see that many of the suggestions that you listed (and I've skipped quoting to save space) were suggested repeatedly.
    pterias said:

Perspective:

Another point I'd like to address is one of perspective, namely the perspective of the BIS folks surrounded by friends that can't wait to play with them. When you tell people with a problem that there is no problem or that *they* are the problem, even if you truly believe that, it comes across as out of touch, spoiled, trolling, or even full-blown gaslighting. I think a lot of you probably do mean well, but it comes across really badly. People are *actually* having problems. People are frustrated, not everyone is BIS, not everyone likes to play the "game engine" instead of playing the game (and that doesn't mean they're having bad-wrong-fun and deserve to be excluded), and not everyone has (or wants to build) a mile-long friends list to mooch off of (and that doesn't mean they shouldn't play an MMO).

Now, this is interesting.

I thought about several ways to address this, and wanted to write those several ways, but at the end picked and wrote only the the easiest:

"Another point I'd like to address is one of perspective, namely the perspective of the players who do not want to improve, adapt, or invest the minimum like reading a guide to event or a dungeon (There is one in-game too btw).
    Folks that usually play alone, the "It works for me" crowd. When you tell people with a problem that there is no problem or that *they* are the problem, even if you truly believe that, it comes across as out of touch, entitled, spoiled, trolling, or even full-blown gaslighting. I think a lot of you probably do mean well, but it comes across really badly. People are *actually* having problems. People are frustrated, not everyone wan't to run the same mind-numbing thing over and over for 0 reward, not everyone likes to log-in and like always find nothing interesting to do (and that doesn't mean they deserve to be excluded), and people who made friends and now login more because of those and not because the game has any interesting content shouldn't be barred from any possibility of content."

This doesn't mean that I suggest that all new content should be so hard that only few can do it, NW is not as hard-core MMO like some others, and there is some sweet spot, but I think the counter argument is clear.
    pterias said:

Specifically, it would be much more helpful to try and approach things from the perspective of the 13k-14k player in a small guild and not just from the GH 20 17k+ player perspective.

Why is that?

This is only a small subset of the player base, do a guild search, there are more players in SH20 guilds than not in one.
    Look at the power creep, even players who do not run anything at all, but do campaigns and slowly upgrade their char are above that.

Now with seals dropping from everywhere.. and new hunts, and even more boons, and enchants are significantly easier to upgrade to rank 10+ why we need to adjust the end-game content for a players starting point.

But lets look:
    And 13k has plenty of things they can run, from easier T1,T2, ToS, CN, to harder FBI. Long ago 13k was the end-game for FBI, and that was with lower base damage weapons, and half working weapon enchants (for some classes).
    The 13k players has where to progress at their speed, they want easier, they have options, they want harder there are options.
    13k Support can do tomb if built normally, DPS will need that 'meta' group and know what they are doing, so lets say no.
    pterias said:

When you have several maxed out characters (namely support characters these days) and are surrounded by friends and hangers-on all the time, it's hard to imagine other people don't have that too (or can't get it easily). I think this is particularly a problem for Guild leaders/high-ups and "famous" players. It's not your fault though. It's called being "insulated", and something I know well from playing music. When everyone thinks you're great and wants to be around you, be seen with you, or just suck up to you all the time, you begin to think that's totally normal. It's not, and it can cause you to lose perspective, sometimes destructively so. It can especially make it difficult to empathize with people that don't have that. Even when you hold your nose and mix with the commoners (AKA pugging), you still know that you can go back to you crystal tower at the snap of your fingers. It's like a rich person visiting a ghetto or a trailer park and saying "Oh, I know what it's like to be poor now!" No, you don't.

Now here there are really several things:

1. Like above, reverse it an apply to the other side. -- Solo players think that the way they play is the normal way. -- Players who refuse to change builds or adapt, etc.. loose their perspective, sometimes destructively.. Walking at the rich neighborhoods and saying "The world is unfair".. I don't want to type and you get the idea.
    Unlike the real world, in NW we all start at the same point, stranded at the beach with private Wilfred (?)

2. You either have skewed view or you hyperbole, I don't know which one, but I'll bet on the first. While you are correct, there are people who are asked to parties out of the game, or just as they login. Chased and coerced. You somehow apply that to everyone who is geared.
    You think that when I login, I suddenly have hoards of people chasing me?! I think something is broken with the guild leadership thing, as it doesn't work as you describe.

It is true that there are people with massive friends lists, or closer groups, it is true that support players kidnapped, but the regular mediocre DPS player?
    Some make our own groups, others, look for groups in the channels. ofc the third option is to go and post on the forums to make content trivial.

3. You think that most guilds are homogeneous in their play level, this is not true to the level you imply. Some are, especially on consoles, where guilds dictate a lot of the grouping, but it is not universally applicable, and especially not on PC.

4. So to supplement the points above, in general, some objectivity will not harm anyone. Nor having issues or disagreeing justifies the levels of self serving ideas that will harm large portion of the player base.

I think we can agree that perspective is subjective by it's nature, and indeed puging once in blue moon or taking some of the most skilled players that left in the game to a 20 min stroll in CR is not an indicator of much. But it goes both ways, insulation, etc....
    pterias said:

And of course some people are just dicks that like to lord their awesomeness over everyone else and pull the ladder up behind them.

Ofc, there is stupidity everywhere, and some only want to serve their narrow interests even if it will screw over everyone else.
    pterias said:

Since T3 dungeons ..are.. pretty much off the table for the foreseeable future

This is unfortunately (for you), is your choice.
    Unlike the real world, as I've said, NW is closer to equal opportunity, and it's up to you if you choose to progress, grind, improve, form parties, join channels, and do what needs to be done, or not. off course no one should be forced to do things they do not enjoy, but on the other hand people can't expect the game be changed to a different category altogether because they do not like to handle fundamental aspects of MMOs.
    Post edited by micky1p00 on
  • Options
    edited August 2018

@frozenfirevr

I'm not sure what mid tier player is. A player who was 12k a year ago, should be in a comfortable end-game now, doing CRs or at least FBI, Tomb, etc..
    As I've said before, people who are progressing, always have something to do, like the end-game of few mods ago.
  • Options
    pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    micky1p00 said:

While I want to stress that I'm personally not against multi-tier content, and more so, In some cases it is surprising that there where not 'training' versions like for the cradle mechanics, the multi tierging is not easy to do right, and it has some downsides.
    Usually the main thing will be faster multiple runs of the easier content over 1 run of the harder version. Look what happened in IG where no one wants to run gold.
    Indeed specific rewards will solve that, but MMO rely on repeated runs and grind, once the specific reward achieved there is an issue, so where to put the UES? Both at different percent? Put "make it harder and get 2% higher chance for UES" for example?
    Good, but somehow I doubt Cryptic can do it.

Or want to:
    MMOs and more so, the f2p model should encourage you to strife somewhere, if you can see and always do all the content because it has an easy version, what is the motivation for getting higher gear, improving the build, unlocking boons, etc..
    When you argue against "Not every content should be available to everyone", then this means that we can always find some less geared player that the content should be adapted towards. So why to grind, and more importantly why to buy ZEN to shorten the grind?

Yes, there should still be good reasons to run the tougher versions, absolutely. People should definitely have a good reason to want to play those, I just don't think game content should be locked behind "You must be 'this much' of a powergamer" to ever even see it without going to youtube. If the only motivation someone has to grind their HAMSTER off is to see a piece of content, that speaks very ill of both the rewards and the game's design.
    micky1p00 said:

MSVA had the legendary marks for the weapons, but yes, demogorgon is one of the better examples (and only) for more or less successful tiered content they've made, and as I've brought up (and you mentioned), still suffers from issues.

Yeah, I felt the reward structure from SVA was much closer to ideal, while the difficulty split of Demo was much closer to ideal. Really though, I'd be happy to see the reward split being even wider than what SVA had. The recent hunt cards concept is also interesting. The ingredients are there for a really good tiered content system, I would just like to see them brought together and done well.
    micky1p00 said:

And you can see that many of the suggestions that you listed (and I've skipped quoting to save space) were suggested repeatedly.

Of course. I've suggested some of them repeatedly myself. That wasn't the point. The point is to redirect the focus of this discussion to the true root of the problem. It isn't that dungeons are too hard or not hard enough. The root of the problem is that there is an OUTRAGEOUSLY wide swing in group effectiveness. Being able to one-rotate a dungeon boss should be laughably impossible. People are already doing so much damage they are causing data-type overflows on the damage counter. How many HP would a boss need to be hard for groups at that level? 1 trillion? 2 trillion? 5? No, the problem is that group strength can become way, WAY too magnified, not that dungeons aren't hard enough. If people want harder content, then they should really welcome reeling back the out of control power magnification we have today. That's the only way to address it without making a ridiculous situation even more ridiculous.
    micky1p00 said:

"Another point I'd like to address is one of perspective, namely the perspective of the players who do not want to improve, adapt, or invest the minimum like reading a guide to event or a dungeon (There is one in-game too btw).
    Folks that usually play alone, the "It works for me" crowd. When you tell people with a problem that there is no problem or that *they* are the problem, even if you truly believe that, it comes across as out of touch, entitled, spoiled, trolling, or even full-blown gaslighting. I think a lot of you probably do mean well, but it comes across really badly. People are *actually* having problems. People are frustrated, not everyone wan't to run the same mind-numbing thing over and over for 0 reward, not everyone likes to log-in and like always find nothing interesting to do (and that doesn't mean they deserve to be excluded), and people who made friends and now login more because of those and not because the game has any interesting content shouldn't be barred from any possibility of content."

Firstly, most of your re-writing doesn't even make sense, lol :tongue:. Secondly, what you re-wrote is about people punching up, while what I originally wrote about was people punching down. There is a difference. Also, if what you re-wrote is valid, then what I originally wrote is also valid and shouldn't be ignored.
    micky1p00 said:

Why is that?

This comment (and the whole "Perspective" section really) was more of a general statement than a specific argument for this thread or a particular person. It's about things I've seen constantly over the years, and much more recently, where it seems everything is thought about and written from the perspective of the BIS social butterfly that plays for 4+ hours every day. But then, when anyone talks about challenges and problems related to not being that, the response is usually a marginally more polite version of "Git gud, scrub!" or "Git sum friendz, lolwtf!"
    micky1p00 said:

I think we can agree that perspective is subjective by it's nature, and indeed puging once in blue moon or taking some of the most skilled players that left in the game to a 20 min stroll in CR is not an indicator of much. But it goes both ways, insulation, etc....

I know, and like I said early on, I sometimes struggle with my own advice. This was something I have a good deal of RL experience with though, so I thought it would give people something to consider about their own situation.
    micky1p00 said:

pterias said:

Since T3 dungeons ..are.. pretty much off the table for the foreseeable future

This is unfortunately (for you), is your choice.
    Unlike the real world, as I've said, NW is closer to equal opportunity, and it's up to you if you choose to progress, grind, improve, form parties, join channels, and do what needs to be done, or not. off course no one should be forced to do things they do not enjoy, but on the other hand people can't expect the game be changed to a different category altogether because they do not like to handle fundamental aspects of MMOs.
    Yes, it is a choice, and I've made it. I've made the same choice to not participate in PvP anymore because it's turned into an all out dumpster fire I hope PvE can be spared from. For Dungeons, I find the rat-race, forced compromise, and begging to be incredibly stressful, and am much happier since I let it go. I wish things were another way, but life is too short. I have an additional strike against me regarding "you-know-what", which you'd call a "fundamental aspect of MMOs" that makes the grind nigh insurmountable without grinding AD solely for hours a day for a year or dropping a couple grand in cash. On top of that, I would then be faced with the choice of putting those resources into a character I want to play but that I know no one else really wants to play with, or a character others do want to play with, but I don't really want to play. It truly feels like a no win situation with all paths leading to un-fun.

---

There was another bit about coming here to complain and take fun away from others, but I can't find it at the moment. I'm not sure if it was even directed at me. I know the OP could be fairly accused of this, but have I specifically suggested anything that would rob the fun from others? I'm not asking as a challenge, it just wasn't my intention and was wondering if anything came across that way.

• Options
    edited August 2018

@frozenfirevr

Mid-tier is not something you stay at is all I'm trying to say. While we were playing, we played each of those mods and dungeons for 2-3 months continuously, the new players are expected to do it for atleast 2-3 weeks, and after that there is no way the next tier dungeon is impossible for them. They need to go through atleast some progression if not all. With games, you're always working towards something... Without an objective, nobody will be interested in playing.
    Like dungeon difficulty and player skill level, player objective in this game are subjective as well. Not everyone playing this game is looking for hardcore experience. Forcing non hardcore player to progress by throwing them hardcore content is not the way. Every mod this game has already release some meagre content. They usually come with 1 dungeon, 1 skirmish ( sometime ), campaign setting, dailies & open world content. Out of those, the dungeon are what the player excited for. If the dungeon are to denied from player, there is no point for them to keep playing and enjoy the game. IMO dungeon should not be the bait for player to work on. Dungeon loot should be. Its the norm. When a game introduced new content, the 1st thing the player would do is to look at the latest equipment set, the new weapon set and how to get them. That should be the objective for the player. Thus those item should be made worthwhile.

Although, those item should not be allowed to be access by the hardcore player only. Instead of using hardcore dungeon difficulty to bar a portion of player from content, Dungeon difficulty option should be introduced to allow player of all type, may it be hardcore or casuals, to access of the dungeon. Next, the latest item should be rewarded based on the difficulty of the dungeon with almost less that 1% chance for normal dungeon and around 10% chance for the hardcore dungeon. That would make casuals to choose to grind for them or they could choose to up the dungeon difficulty and work for it with harder content. While hardcore player would have most likely to get them by playing in the hardest hardcore difficulty. And to satisfy those hardcore player, the hardest difficulty setting is to be like Hell.
  • Options
    kangkeok said:

@frozenfirevr

Like dungeon difficulty and player skill level, player objective in this game are subjective as well. Not everyone playing this game is looking for hardcore experience. Forcing non hardcore player to progress by throwing them hardcore content is not the way. Every mod this game has already release some meagre content. They usually come with 1 dungeon, 1 skirmish ( sometime ), campaign setting, dailies & open world content. Out of those, the dungeon are what the player excited for. If the dungeon are to denied from player, there is no point for them to keep playing and enjoy the game. IMO dungeon should not be the bait for player to work on. Dungeon loot should be. Its the norm. When a game introduced new content, the 1st thing the player would do is to look at the latest equipment set, the new weapon set and how to get them. That should be the objective for the player. Thus those item should be made worthwhile.

Although, those item should not be allowed to be access by the hardcore player only. Instead of using hardcore dungeon difficulty to bar a portion of player from content, Dungeon difficulty option should be introduced to allow player of all type, may it be hardcore or casuals, to access of the dungeon. Next, the latest item should be rewarded based on the difficulty of the dungeon with almost less that 1% chance for normal dungeon and around 10% chance for the hardcore dungeon. That would make casuals to choose to grind for them or they could choose to up the dungeon difficulty and work for it with harder content. While hardcore player would have most likely to get them by playing in the hardest hardcore difficulty. And to satisfy those hardcore player, the hardest difficulty setting is to be like Hell.
    If one doesn't want to be 'hardcore' (:expressionless:) they have to wait for a couple months, it's their choice, nobody is denying them anything. If one doesn't want to give in to the game like everybody else, they really mustn't be expecting to have simple access to the same things at the same time as everybody else.

Making normal versions of the dungeons again is acceptable though.
    FrozenFire
  • Options
    micky1p00 said:

U know I used to think this way in the MMO I played in the past. I despise lazy player, spoiled player who complain of how difficult the game is, anyone that is not on par with me in term of skill level or knowledge on game mechanics. We considered ourselves the elites of the game. The I realize this kind of elitism, or whatever u wanna called it, attitude is actually bullying player off the game. Because we cant accept those that are different from us, we ignore their whining and make them follow our way of playing or leave this game. And I thought those that whine and complain are spoiled and cant bear through hardship. But actually its ourselves that cant accept others for their difference are the one that are spoiled. What happen next is the game losing its player and the group of liked minded people I played with gets smaller as newer and better MMO swayed most away. In the end, the game closed and then I realize those player that we chase off are actually equally important to the game life span. The more player the MMO has the longer the lifespan, the lesser the faster it ends.

Despite not being the same in the perspective of thinking, they are still player that plays a part in the game survival. We cant judge them anyway as we are not in their shoes or experiencing what they experience or wanting what they wants. All we need to do is to respect each other opinion and work towards co-existing. The game need player to survive. Be it casuals, free to play, pay2win, hardcore, player with elitism attitude, solo player, roleplayer etc. Any genuine player but bots are needed in this game to prolong its lifespan. Unless, of course, if u want the game to be a ghost town fill with a single group of like minded people, then keep discriminating other and ignore all their plea.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

kangkeok said:

@frozenfirevr

If one doesn't want to be 'hardcore' (:expressionless:) they have to wait for a couple months, it's their choice, nobody is denying them anything. If one doesn't want to give in to the game like everybody else, they really mustn't be expecting to have simple access to the same things at the same time as everybody else.

Skipping mod isn't the solution as well as u are denying people the right to enjoy the hype of a new content. If skipping mod is to be the way, the portion of player that dont gets enjoy it wont be in the game for long as they felt left out and doom to grind past content. They might not even experience those content as if its brand new dungeon. Everyone has played it and tons of guide is made by player as spoilers. That right should not be given based on skill level etc. IMO anyone who work to unlock the dungeon from campaign deserves to have the equal chance to complete the dungeon and not hamper them with difficult content. Adding difficult option is to solve this issue without affecting hardcore player's expectation with the content. Reward hardcore player with loot and not dungeon experience privilege.
  • Options
    trevor#8542 trevor Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    kangkeok said:

kangkeok said:

@frozenfirevr

Skipping mod isn't the solution as well as u are denying people the right to enjoy the hype of a new content. If skipping mod is to be the way, the portion of player that dont gets enjoy it wont be in the game for long as they felt left out and doom to grind past content. They might not even experience those content as if its brand new dungeon. Everyone has played it and tons of guide is made by player as spoilers. That right should not be given based on skill level etc. IMO anyone who work to unlock the dungeon from campaign deserves to have the equal chance to complete the dungeon and not hamper them with difficult content. Adding difficult option is to solve this issue without affecting hardcore player's expectation with the content. Reward hardcore player with loot and not dungeon experience privilege.
    I get what your saying but lets just say the devs give in and make 2 different versions of the dungeons and have different loot tables like you said. The problem will still be there because its not the same for everyone the people who get upset about not being able to run new content will continue to do the same because the rewards will be better in the harder versions and they will want that same reward as everyone who runs the harder versions. It feels like a damned if you do and damned if you dont situation and we all will be in the same boat as we all are in now.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    kangkeok said:

micky1p00 said:

U know I used to think this way in the MMO I played in the past. I despise lazy player, spoiled player who complain of how difficult the game is, anyone that is not on par with me in term of skill level or knowledge on game mechanics. We considered ourselves the elites of the game. The I realize this kind of elitism, or whatever u wanna called it, attitude is actually bullying player off the game. Because we cant accept those that are different from us, we ignore their whining and make them follow our way of playing or leave this game. And I thought those that whine and complain are spoiled and cant bear through hardship. But actually its ourselves that cant accept others for their difference are the one that are spoiled. What happen next is the game losing its player and the group of liked minded people I played with gets smaller as newer and better MMO swayed most away. In the end, the game closed and then I realize those player that we chase off are actually equally important to the game life span. The more player the MMO has the longer the lifespan, the lesser the faster it ends.

Despite not being the same in the perspective of thinking, they are still player that plays a part in the game survival. We cant judge them anyway as we are not in their shoes or experiencing what they experience or wanting what they wants. All we need to do is to respect each other opinion and work towards co-existing. The game need player to survive. Be it casuals, free to play, pay2win, hardcore, player with elitism attitude, solo player, roleplayer etc. Any genuine player but bots are needed in this game to prolong its lifespan. Unless, of course, if u want the game to be a ghost town fill with a single group of like minded people, then keep discriminating other and ignore all their plea.
    You missed the point. Iv'e used the same (more or less) wording to emphasize that all the claims against one perspective are working the same way on the opposite perspective.

You can claim equally about the "spoiled, trolling, gaslighting" on any perspective and it wont make it valid or not. In some way It's appeal to emotions / argumentum ad passiones and yet has validity on all sides of the perspectives as we are discussing the enjoyment of the game.

Now to the topic, apply all you've said above to your perspective, whatever it may be, and to the OP one - to make content easy enough so it's playabale without tank and healer and consider if it's not bullying people that are not of the same perspective.

There is even a sentence after it:
    "This doesn't mean that I suggest that all new content should be so hard that only few can do it, NW is not as hard-core MMO like some others, and there is some sweet spot, but I think the counter argument is clear."

The point here is that the same type of argument will work on all sides, and so is yours as you wrote it. I can rewrite it in the same way to make it valid as opposing argument. The first paragraph. And as such, my point is that you too, do what you preach, and respect the opposing opinion and their plea, unless you want the same ghost town of your choosing, e.g. mod 5 when most just quit the game.

As I've said, people make the mistake of grouping others and themselves into camps in this argument instead of considering the benefit of the game. You probably think that because I've counter argue a point, I must be doing 15 minute tombs and 25 minutes CRs all day with my elite buddies. Unfortunately/Fortunately, I do not.
    Post edited by micky1p00 on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    kangkeok said:

kangkeok said:

@frozenfirevr

The again comes the question, why would anyone progress in the game?
    Why would anyone buy ZEN?

If there is access to all content all the time without any need for progress. What I need that loot for if I don't have anything to unlock with it. How you can have equal chance of completing something, if people have such disparity in their investment in the game. What will be the incentive to invest more money/time in this model ?

Also you skipped one crucial aspect of MMOs, and it's the community one, a healthy mix of players can/should help each other, and as such, if we take a social scope as a guild, even the most casual players have been to tomb, cradle, and most at least once to CR even if some needs to be dragged there by their ears.
  • Options
    micky1p00 said:

kangkeok said:

micky1p00 said:

You missed the point. Iv'e used the same (more or less) wording to emphasize that all the claims against one perspective are working the same way on the opposite perspective.

You can claim equally about the "spoiled, trolling, gaslighting" on any perspective and it wont make it valid or not. In some way It's appeal to emotions / argumentum ad passiones and yet has validity on all sides of the perspectives as we are discussing the enjoyment of the game.

Now to the topic, apply all you've said above to your perspective, whatever it may be, and to the OP one - to make content easy enough so it's playabale without tank and healer and consider if it's not bullying people that are not of the same perspective.

There is even a sentence after it:
    "This doesn't mean that I suggest that all new content should be so hard that only few can do it, NW is not as hard-core MMO like some others, and there is some sweet spot, but I think the counter argument is clear."

The point here is that the same type of argument will work on all sides, and so is yours as you wrote it. I can rewrite it in the same way to make it valid as opposing argument. The first paragraph. And as such, my point is that you too, do what you preach, and respect the opposing opinion and their plea, unless you want the same ghost town of your choosing, e.g. mod 5 when most just quit the game.

As I've said, people make the mistake of grouping others and themselves into camps in this argument instead of considering the benefit of the game. You probably think that because I've counter argue a point, I must be doing 15 minute tombs and 25 minutes CRs all day with my elite buddies. Unfortunately/Fortunately, I do not.
    I totally do not agree with OP on that matter. My whole point there are people should not be shut from content for whatever the reason might be. May it be class or type of path they choose, skill level, hardcore, casuals, free to play, pay2win, pug player, premade player etc, all deserve the content released in this game. No one should shut anyone out of the game because they have a different perspective on the game. Anyway what I quote on your statement isn't to disagree nor argue but simply making my own point out of the subject regarding player perspective since u mention it. I don't know which point did u counter but if u agree with my opinion then I don't see any problem there.
  • Options

kangkeok said:

kangkeok said:

@frozenfirevr

I get what your saying but lets just say the devs give in and make 2 different versions of the dungeons and have different loot tables like you said. The problem will still be there because its not the same for everyone the people who get upset about not being able to run new content will continue to do the same because the rewards will be better in the harder versions and they will want that same reward as everyone who runs the harder versions. It feels like a damned if you do and damned if you dont situation and we all will be in the same boat as we all are in now.
    You see trevor, the difference is people gets to enjoy the content. Be it hardcore or casuals. As for the loot, it could only be fair and for game balance sake that loot are harder to drop in easier dungeon compare to harder version, Else there is no point from playing harder content are they? Everyone just exploit this and farm the hell out of easy content?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    micky1p00 said:

kangkeok said:

kangkeok said:

@frozenfirevr

If there is access to all content all the time without any need for progress. What I need that loot for if I don't have anything to unlock with it. How you can have equal chance of completing something, if people have such disparity in their investment in the game. What will be the incentive to invest more money/time in this model ?

Also you skipped one crucial aspect of MMOs, and it's the community one, a healthy mix of players can/should help each other, and as such, if we take a social scope as a guild, even the most casual players have been to tomb, cradle, and most at least once to CR even if some needs to be dragged there by their ears.
    Oh don't worry, people will still progress. People need loot and loot is easier to get in harder content. So people will still upgrading enchantment and etc to beat harder content since it increase the odds to get what they want. If they don't need loot, then those are casuals. U wont be seeing them progress even if the dungeon are as difficult as it is now anyways. U cant force people to progress when they don't want to. It will only make them quit the game.

The incentive to invest in this model is to keep player in the game. Like I said before, the more player are in the game the more social interaction. The more happy a player is, the more confidence player has with the game, And the more confidence they had, the more likely they spend money on zen and thus the longer the lifespan. Its a psychological thing when someone joins an empty world the 1st though would be is this game dying? and they left. The greater the population, the more likely its gonna survive.

Oh and for the last part, its not just people with guild that need to get to enjoy the content. Guild less player or PUG needs to be taken care off too. They are part of the community even they prefer their hermit moments. They are usually the 1st person that gets to interact with new players. So they should not be force to join guild to enjoy the content either.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    kangkeok said:

micky1p00 said:

kangkeok said:

kangkeok said:

@frozenfirevr

Oh don't worry, people will still progress. People need loot and loot is easier to get in harder content. So people will still upgrading enchantment and etc to beat harder content since it increase the odds to get what they want. If they don't need loot, then those are casuals. U wont be seeing them progress even if the dungeon are as difficult as it is now anyways. U cant force people to progress when they don't want to. It will only make them quit the game.

The incentive to invest in this model is to keep player in the game. Like I said before, the more player are in the game the more social interaction. The more happy a player is, the more confidence player has with the game, And the more confidence they had, the more likely they spend money on zen and thus the longer the lifespan. Its a psychological thing when someone joins an empty world the 1st though would be is this game dying? and they left. The greater the population, the more likely its gonna survive.
    When IG came out, it had this exact model, higher chance for +4 rings on gold, and lower on bronze. You know what everyone chose to do? To run more bronzes, because overall the gain/time is better.

Second, if there is nothing to unlock, you don't actually need loot. If I will know for sure that the next mod content will be available for me, as I am, then the reason to progress is greatly diminished. Even right now, personally, I and many others do not chase BiS, but only enough to be in a good place when new content comes.

RPGs as a model, 'force' you to progress, more so even the P&P D&D was based on "Kill stuff, get XP & loot, become stronger, get harder things to kill"
    This what makes RPGs so addictive, and what makes the whole thing work. It can be subtle and hidden or it can be blatant, but it is there.

I've linked it before, I'll link again:

From my observation, and as subjective as it is, the first great exodus from the game was in mod 5. When almost everyone could solo almost everything.

I don't agree that people will pay more out of confidence, than to catch up.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    micky1p00 said:

kangkeok said:

micky1p00 said:

kangkeok said:

kangkeok said:

@frozenfirevr

When IG came out, it had this exact model, higher chance for +4 rings on gold, and lower on bronze. You know what everyone chose to do? To run more bronzes, because overall the gain/time is better.

Second, if there is nothing to unlock, you don't actually need loot. If I will know for sure that the next mod content will be available for me, as I am, then the reason to progress is greatly diminished. Even right now, personally, I and many others do not chase BiS, but only enough to be in a good place when new content comes.

RPGs as a model, 'force' you to progress, more so even the P&P D&D was based on "Kill stuff, get XP & loot, become stronger, get harder things to kill"
    This what makes RPGs so addictive, and what makes the whole thing work. It can be subtle and hidden or it can be blatant, but it is there.

I've linked it before, I'll link again:

From my observation, and as subjective as it is, the first great exodus from the game was in mod 5. When almost everyone could solo almost everything.
    Sure people could run more lower tier dungeon to compensate the odds but that's their choice. They have a choice to run harder content anytime they want, may it for a better odds or bigger challenge. The overall gain/time are simply variable set by the developer and it could be adjusted accordingly so I don't see any problem here.

The element of RPG is still there. People still need progression to beat harder content for better rewards/challenge. Yeah, problem with mod 5 is they don't have real difficulty for hardcore player. Giving multi difficulty option will satisfy all parties.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

kangkeok said:

I totally do not agree with OP on that matter. My whole point there are people should not be shut from content for whatever the reason might be. May it be class or type of path they choose, skill level, hardcore, casuals, free to play, pay2win, pug player, premade player etc, all deserve the content released in this game. No one should shut anyone out of the game because they have a different perspective on the game.

This makes no sense for me....sry...so everyone despite GS/Skilllevel etc. should be able to play the whole content? Whats the point to make a content if you dont need any progress for it?
    And this scenario we have atm with bavoria. Just hit level 70, go to bavoria and get a full armor/weapen set for free and for not doing anything for it. But what i see since them A LOT in zonechat "can anyone help me for small hes? Can anyone help me for weeklys/dailies? Can anyone help me for my huntquest? etc.."
    I think this must be the worst scenario ever for a dev:
    - make mobs/bosses so everyone can kill them. No matter if they casuals, hardcore players, so called elitiests, pugs, players with bad hardware, players with lousy internet, lazy players, players who only play 15 minutes per day etc...etc..

An impossible task, i guess and this game would be boring as hell.
    I m sorry but commenting on your statement that has been brought up by others and answered by me will land me on a repetitive loop. The answer to your statement should be somewhere in the comment I posted in this thread. Its best u search them there to better follow up with our conversation here and to avoid further complication.
  • Options
    spidey#3367 spidey Member Posts: 400 Arc User
    I have to search for a statement or an answer from you? Wow. Thats odd ^^.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

kangkeok said:

Now… let us move onto this whole “Elitism” issue. The word “Elitism” stems from the word “Elite” which loosely means, “the best of.” The word “Elitism” means to believe that society should be governed by this elite. The word doesn’t really fit into this discussion but let me digress a bit and talk about it.

So, let me take this moment to ask you a question, do you want a field athlete to perform complex medical surgery on you, or a qualified surgeon? You want the surgeon, right? Congratulations, that makes you an elitist. Furthermore, by "tiering" players as you have, you are acknowledging that not everyone is equal (Reference 1). The fact of the matter is, that everyone is good and bad at different things, elitism is the ideology that the people best equipped for dealing with a task, should be the ones who govern how that task is done and yep, I will fully agree with this. I don’t want a janitor flying the aeroplane I am flying in thank you very much, I want a pilot, or in the case of Neverwinter, you want the best developers working on the game. Or alternatively, I would rather the developers listen to the feedback of people who test the game mechanics on game mechanics, then the words of the people who think the orientation of enemies, effects how much a weapon enchant increases their dps.

I admit there are class balance issues, I have never said otherwise, what I have said is that I do not agree with the idea that the game should be so easy so that any class combination should be able to beat it. I will, for the third time, link to a thread outlining how I would go about addressing balancing issues as well as other things.

If there are 2 versions of the same piece of content, one easy and one hard, if the time vs ad ratio for the easy one is better, that will be the only one that people run and if the hard version is better, the people who cannot run it will complain like you are complaining right now. It also takes away part of what makes the content “exclusive” for those players.

For the subset of players that does like to min max and improve themselves, if the game is so easy that everything is possible with every combination, the game becomes uninteresting. If Neverwinter reaches that state again, I will just quit the game. Difficulty brings about exclusivity. If something is only challenging for the worst players, that means it is easy for everyone else. If something is challenging to the best players, it means that everyone else who is not that good cannot run it. It is as simple as that. For there to be any possibility of challenge, there also needs to be the possibility to fail.

Now, as far as putting myself into someone else’s shoes, I will use Path of Exile as an example here. The hardest content in the game (Uber Elder) is so difficult I would say only 200-300 people can complete it. For reference, the size of that game is much bigger then Neverwinter, in 3-month leagues (ladders that are reset every 3 leagues) you see over 15000 people on each ladder (the ladder only displays the top 15000). Those 15000 players are all in excess of level 93, which, considering the way that game works, means you could estimate a much, much bigger active player base. So here you have a piece of content designed for 0.01% of the population. I have not done it, I have done everything else and I fall somewhere in the top 1000. I have no issues with content existing that I cannot complete, it is simply content that is designed for someone else.

In the same way, hunts may as well not exist for me. You may argue that it is unfair that a better player can do more content, but for the better player, the easier content doesn’t exist. Hunts do not exist for me and if dungeons are like that, they would not exist either. At the end of the day, we are not all equal, saying all people are equal is like saying all numbers are equal, it is a lie. If saying this makes me an elitist, then so be it, I will be an elitist and proud of it. I would rather someone else chose for something then me because they are better at it then me, then be chosen in their place because of this “equality complex.” As a result of this, content should not be equally difficult or accessible.
    Well elitism also mean 'the superior attitude or behaviour associated with an elite' which is what I really meant for the statement that u quoted. So i guess it wont be necessary for me to pick my surgeon now?

Anyway, if content difficulty is your concern, I already answered u with difficulty option. If its about the AD ratio/reward/loot drop, I already told trevor regarding it. Just refer to the above as my answer remain the same.

Nobody says about easy content. U could pick higher difficulty content if you are seeking challenge. U could do what u do with the current content as the difficulty is still there. Whats better is the developer could add in a few more tier which could make the difficulty to be harder than the current. Like normal, hard, epic, legendary 1,2,3,4,5 etc. Its all the adjustment on the scaling of mob levels. Its all depends on how the developer gonna do about it to satisfy the hardcore player like u. While, at the same time, easier option are also available for more casuals player. So I don't see any problem there, I mean u play your thing and the casual play theirs.

I have never played Path of Exile so I cant comment. If u think its a great idea, sure u can suggest it in the forum. U can even suggest that type of difficulty here as long as the difficulty option system is implement to protect those player that have different difficulty preference.

And I wish to makes things clear that the difficulty option I meant does not mean just SVA and mSVA version. What I mean is when u pick Temple of spider for example, your are given the option to select, normal, hard, elite, epic, Legendary 1,2,3 up to what ever the developer wants the dungeon to scale. So casuals that prefer walk in the park gets to choose normal. Player that want the hardest content that they don't even know they can beat could choose like Legendary 8 or 10. Drop rate/rewards/Rad, scale with the difficulty level. So if u want your path of exile difficulty to be in this system, sure, its all depends on the developer to put it in Legendary 1 or legendary 10 and how they want the difficulty to spread out. So I don't see problem with u getting deny because the content being too easy in this scenario. This system allows u to be elitist and do your elitist thing without the need to deny any content from anyone. I hope u get my idea, else the is little room for us to keep talking.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    And I have already mentioned, not all pieces of content should be designed to be done by all players, because we are not all the same. That goes beyond just the difficulty of the content, but also the mechanics at play, what the content is, etc. By arguing that it should be, you are, by your own definition, being elitist because in your perspective the content should be available to all groups of players despite the fact that it will marginalize certain groups, implying the one group is superior to the other. You are unwilling to see how exclusivity of the content is part of what makes it special to those groups.

Other content in the game literally does not exist to me. By taking that away from me, you are taking all the content out of the game, it will be as if the game ceases to exist. In Path of Exile, in hardcore, if your character dies in a league it is migrated to the standard league. Whilst this may not at first sound like "permanent death" to you, since you can still play the game in the standard league and the mechanics are the same, to the hardcore player it is the same as if their character is deleted. What the hardcore player does is because they are no longer in their league of choice, they delete the character and start over. The reason I mention this is because it illustrates this mindset to you, the idea that some people play the game a different way.

Once again, to use another comparison from PoE, how endgame works there is there are 16 tiers of maps (their version of dungeons), then 6 or so mega bosses. Most players won't make it past tier 10, the point being, content is exclusive. Having exclusive, hard content is good because:

1) It caters to the players that want that kind of content.
    2) It gives players a reason to give better, progress. By having a piece of content gated behind something difficult, it encourages you to learn and get better. By having an easy version of everything, it encourages mediocrity since there is nothing to get better and "look forward to."
    3) It promotes spending on the game. If you don't need to get better to experience newer content, you are less likely to spend then if your character is unable to complete all the content without some improvement.
    4) It is good for game longevity. Having somewhere to move "forward" to means you have somewhere to go. The only things that stagnate are dead.
This discussion has been closed.