test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Razorwood for HR

wizardlvl80#5963 wizardlvl80 Member Posts: 519 Arc User
Hi guys!

So... wanted to ask a question if Razorwood aka Groot companion is so good for us, Hunter Rangers? Most of the people I asked told "yeah, everyone get it, so we should get them too", but I also had few answers like "it's not so good on combat HR since we already have lots of crit severity". I'm not really into math tests and I hoped that someone here can tell if it's actually good or not for us.

I heard that it's about 9% damage buff when used as active companion but less on us.

My current setup is: Alpha Compy, Archon trio (earth, air, fire), Chultan Tiger.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    I have 2 archons, tiger, groot, and seigemaster atm. Pve combat build.

You are right when you say we suffer from too much critsev. I bought the razorwood so I could drop skirmishers gambit. I now have 100% critchance (not losing 10% from SG makes a huge difference), and roughly 185-190 critsev with a u.vorp. and more power and recovery.

Tbh though I'm not the best pve HR in the world by a long way.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    I'm able to keep my crit chance at 100% with Skirmishers Gambit so I guess I don't need to drop it.

But I do run with Vorpal as well and considering switching to Fey but to be honest I don't even see the purpose since it's not like I need more damage.

Nontheless, I am considering the Razorwood companion and thinking of dropping Fire Archon to make a place for it. Or maybe someone can advice to drop different companion?
  • Options
    patcherrkmpatcherrkm Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 127 Arc User
    Fey>Vorpal
    Fey improves groot damage, vorpal doesnt
    Fey improves Aura of courage damage, vorpal doesnt
    Fey>Vorpal
  • Options
    @patcherrkm I never said it's not better than Vorpal. I just think that Vorpal is really good for Combat and Fey isn't a necessary must have.

I run Vorpal for some time already and I'm really ok with it. Don't have any problem with damage. Au contraire - I often outdps other HRs with higher IL but that's not my point.

I wanted to have some insight on whether Razorwood is good for us or not.
  • Options
    razorwood is fantastic. its currently bis
  • Options
    wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User

@patcherrkm I never said it's not better than Vorpal. I just think that Vorpal is really good for Combat and Fey isn't a necessary must have.

I run Vorpal for some time already and I'm really ok with it. Don't have any problem with damage. Au contraire - I often outdps other HRs with higher IL but that's not my point.

I would ignore what he says unless he/she comes up with something meaningful.

Posts by that person, I have seen, are just 1 liners with no credible source of information.
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User

I'm able to keep my crit chance at 100% with Skirmishers Gambit so I guess I don't need to drop it.

But I do run with Vorpal as well and considering switching to Fey but to be honest I don't even see the purpose since it's not like I need more damage.

Nontheless, I am considering the Razorwood companion and thinking of dropping Fire Archon to make a place for it. Or maybe someone can advice to drop different companion?

Sorry, but it's a contradiction, if you don't need more damage then the entire discussion thread is moot. The whole point of swapping companions is to get more damage.

If you want to get the most out of what you have / can reasonably get, you will probably need to do some changes. Vorpal + Gambit is not the best combination. Fey + Gambit, or Vorpal + Lucky Blades, will be better, depending ofc on your typical group and content you do. You can go fey, groot, lucky blades / gambit or other variants, but probably, the combination of gambit + vorpal + groot will be the least effective of the different possibilities, that include the groot, and yes, regardless it's still the best even at that combination it will be about 7%+, but only if you can get CA up-time reliably.

Disclimer: I don't play HR, and got here by "recent posts", so I don't know the 'features' of specific powers, nor the split of encounters / rest of the damage for the purpose of assessing Lucky Blades. Like I've said in the other thread, if someone will show a damage distribution of their typical run (ACT), can say something more reliable.
  • Options
    schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    http://jannenw.info/pages/mechanics/cs
    Thx to Janne, an awesome page to do the math, that's all you need.
    Provided razorwood buffs non crit damage, that 25 to 27.5% plus is better than all companions, you have to fill in the number yourself.
    About 115-120% innate CS + 55%CS UV + 50% CS feature+ 40%-45% innate CA + 27. 5% CA/CS from razorwood
    The higher your ammout of CS+CA goes, the smaller the benefit from razor.
    So Vorpal is not your first pick normally. I run tiger, razorwood, siege master and two archon and Fey with my striker and I do so to max dps, nothing else.
    I saw many Hunter using Fey, some run Dread, not sure about the best option.
    Post edited by schietindebux on
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for very awesome answers here!

I think I will go after Fey since I can also use it on my tact GF.
  • Options
    wdj40 said:

Posts by that person, I have seen, are just 1 liners with no credible source of information.
    You aren't worth more than 1 line...
  • Options
    wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    edited August 2018

wdj40 said:

At least I dont make things up mate, nice trolling though have a cookie on me.

I am deffo worth more than 1 line... I have been helping people for years. Here is me 2yrs ago helping other HR's... who went on to make good guides etc. https://www.reddit.com/r/Neverwinter/comments/433umt/pve_trapper_build_heethins_trapmatic_adjustable/

I was making Builds back in August 2015, Mod 5, before HR even became popular http://gotwe.boards.net/thread/403/hr-build-mk2 and that was a Mk2 version so there is an even older one somewhere. Then Longstriders came out and I was one of the 1st to fully utilize its benefits and teach new HR their class etc, a lot of them went on to become "top" HR's and make Builds and Guides etc, I am even mentioned in quite a few.

I think I know a thing or 2 about the HR even though I only have use of the combat log. I do get the odd thing wrong every now and then which is to be expected.
    Post edited by wdj40 on
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    wdj40 said:

wdj40 said:

At least I dont make things up mate, nice trolling though have a cookie on me.

I am deffo worth more than 1 line... I have been helping people for years. Here is me 2yrs ago helping other HR's... who went on to make good guides etc. https://www.reddit.com/r/Neverwinter/comments/433umt/pve_trapper_build_heethins_trapmatic_adjustable/

I was making Builds back in August 2015, Mod 5, before HR even became popular http://gotwe.boards.net/thread/403/hr-build-mk2 and that was a Mk2 version so there is an even older one somewhere. Then Longstriders came out and I was one of the 1st to fully utilize its benefits and teach new HR their class etc, a lot of them went on to become "top" HR's and make Builds and Guides etc, I am even mentioned in quite a few.

I think I know a thing or 2 about the HR even though I only have use of the combat log. I do get the odd thing wrong every now and then which is to be expected.
    I'm Sleek Pepper. That's all the credentials I got. I'm not sure where I rank as an HR. I'm sure you've given out some good advice over the years. Stay in school. Don't use drugs. etc. If you're a good HR. Just give good advice to these plebs.
  • Options
    thunderous#0772 thunderous Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    New piercing is a nerf as well as the razor wood.
  • Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

[blah blah someone complaining about Piercing Blades blah blah] nerf as well as the razor wood.

The second part is false on HR, let alone any class.
    At best, Razorwood's DPS increase exceeds that of any other pet.
    At worst, the Razorwood's DPS increase rivals that of any comparable pet.

Assuming you have CA on and are Critting ...

At the very best, Razorwood's DPS increase is at 14.4740%, calculated assuming the HR has no external Critical Severity bonuses besides the basic 75% and no external CA bonuses besides the basic 15%.

(75% base Severity + 15% base CA bonus= 90% Combined sum before Razorwood
    The Razorwood adds 25% to the CA category and 2.5% to Critical Severity, adding 27.5% to the Severity/CA sum.
    Your DPS increase is then calculated as 2.175/1.90, which divides out as 1.1447368420)

Now, for worst case scenario...

The maximum Critical Severity/CA sum a HR can obtain before the Razorwood, any feats, and any weapon enchant is 204.89%, obtained by:

The Severity part totals at 155.5%, obtained by:
    Base Severity bonus (75%), Half Orc racial (5%), Wild Storm (10%), Squash Soup (5%), Superior Flask of Potency (7.5%), Mythic Chain of Scales (6%), Epic Cambion (10%), Epic Erinyes (10%), Rank 10 Mercenary Outpost (15%), Sleet Skills (2%), 3x Dragon's Fury (8%), and Fiery Fury (2%).

The Combat Advantage part totals at 49.39%, obtained by:
    Drow Ambush Tactics (1.1x Multiplier), base CA Bonus (15%), 19 Charisma (0.09), 5100 CA special stat (10.9%) epic Intellect Devourer (5%), and epic Blink Dog (5%).

If you have Drow Ambush Tactics activated, the Razorwood effectively adds 30% to the CA/Severity sum (obtained by taking the 25% CA, multiplying it by 1.1x to get 27.5%, then adding in 2.5% Severity for a total of 30%).

If you are Combat using UP Vorpal and maxed out Skirmisher's, you add 105% to the sum for a total sum of 309.89% before the Razorwood.

Assuming all of your DPS comes from attacks which Crit and have CA (or are inherited procs of attacks that CA/have Crit), then your DPS increase equals 7.32% (obtained from 4.3989/4.0989).

If you are a Trapper running UP Dread, then you add 80% to the sum, for a total sum of 284.89%.

Assuming all of your DPS comes from encounters/Thorned Roots that Crits and has CA Razorwood's DPS increase equals 10.79% (obtained from 4.1489/384.49).

• Options
    edited September 2018
    > @rjc9000 said:
    > [blah blah someone complaining about Piercing Blades blah blah] nerf as well as the razor wood.
    >
    > The second part is false on HR, let alone blah blah blah I'm a garbage trapper

Your ignorance for no reason Automatically invalidates your entire argument, but nice number crunch. Tell me though, what is the definition of a nerf? When every other class suddenly gets a leg up over you one way or another, correct? Clearly, you don't know because you wouldn't have wasted your time with that meaningless rant that clearly had nothing to do with the fact that at best, the top hr feat path gets 7% while every other class gets 10-15%
  • Options

> @rjc9000 said:

> [blah blah someone complaining about Piercing Blades blah blah] nerf as well as the razor wood.

>

> The second part is false on HR, let alone blah blah blah I'm a garbage trapper

Your ignorance for no reason Automatically invalidates your entire argument, but nice number crunch. Tell me though, what is the definition of a nerf? When every other class suddenly gets a leg up over you one way or another, correct? Clearly, you don't know because you wouldn't have wasted your time with that meaningless rant that clearly had nothing to do with the fact that at best, the top hr feat path gets 7% while every other class gets 10-15%

Hey there.

Please, read what rjc stated in his post. It clearly say that you get 7% at worst case scenario.

Besides, seriously man, chill. People haven't cried when piercing blades were changed to scale with buffs. Or when combat capstone was change, so you can squeeze 3 Split Strikes in exchange for some minor damage tweak. When mod12b has hit hard everyone in the game, it was HR who shined the most. We were absolute amazing and in my opninion - best dps class in the game back then. Times change, bugs appear and some other classes get their bonuses. I really don't mind TRs being better right now - actually I'm happy for them, cause they were in the shadow (hehe) for a long time.

Like I said in the other post - I really don't care about other classes as long as we are capable of running content, which we are. And we are still propably the best ones out there for trash clearing with Combat SW build. Since CA bug, we are left behind on single target but still can do OK.

Literally my only complaint for HR is his weird aggro which always causes bosses to attack me first lol (I'm looking at you Orcus!).

• Options
    > @wizardlvl80#5963 said:
    > > @rjc9000 said:
    >
    > > [blah blah someone complaining about Piercing Blades blah blah] nerf as well as the razor wood.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > The second part is false on HR, let alone blah blah blah I'm a garbage trapper
    >
    >
    >
    > Your ignorance for no reason Automatically invalidates your entire argument, but nice number crunch. Tell me though, what is the definition of a nerf? When every other class suddenly gets a leg up over you one way or another, correct? Clearly, you don't know because you wouldn't have wasted your time with that meaningless rant that clearly had nothing to do with the fact that at best, the top hr feat path gets 7% while every other class gets 10-15%
    >
    > Hey there.
    >
    > Please, read what rjc stated in his post. It clearly say that you get 7% at worst case scenario.
    >
    > Besides, seriously man, chill. People haven't cried when piercing blades were changed to scale with buffs. Or when combat capstone was change, so you can squeeze 3 Split Strikes in exchange for some minor damage tweak. When mod12b has hit hard everyone in the game, it was HR who shined the most. We were absolute amazing and in my opninion - best dps class in the game back then. Times change, bugs appear and some other classes get their bonuses. I really don't mind TRs being better right now - actually I'm happy for them, cause they were in the shadow (hehe) for a long time.
    >
    > Like I said in the other post - I really don't care about other classes as long as we are capable of running content, which we are. And we are still propably the best ones out there for trash clearing with Combat SW build. Since CA bug, we are left behind on single target but still can do OK.
    >
    > Literally my only complaint for HR is his weird aggro which always causes bosses to attack me first lol (I'm looking at you Orcus!).

Take time to realize he came at me first.
  • Options
    issssshoisssssho Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 105 Arc User
    If you can't deduce for yourself if razorwood is good for you I seriously don't know why are you even browsing the forums then.
    The real question is not is it good but if you have anything else better to use - and answer is a fat NO. In fact with maximum achievable severity in game razorwood is still the most beneficial active companion for you by a fat margin. Does other classes benefit more from its bonus under certain conditions ? Probably - but there is nothing you can do about it.
    With great power comes great electricity bill.

THC
    http://www.theholycrusaders.com/
  • Options
    mikewho#5331 mikewho Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    Hi I’m Mike I’m new, 14k A/C hybrid build HR I know the post has a bit of age, but if I may ,
    *the active stats are really worth it for critsev/actcombat( if ur gunnin for that) that’s a plus. *Mine dies a lot , but all I stacked on the poor guy is crit and power lol,
    *Razowood does attack a bit sluggishly.
    Stats , dmg & all that aside if you have a good movement speed he’s kinda fun to jam with. Don’t know bout damage boost other than my crit, his crit, and CA but you can just do cool stuff , like when he does the big claw out in front of him and you can like get in front of him maybe 5-10 ft out of range of his claw and do a siesmec shot through a mob, it just look cool.
    And the multiple ways to use him when he pops the thorns out and bounces the mobs out 15 feet or so in all directions. He so sluggish you can tell when he’s about to pop off . Anyway sorry if I went overboard.