test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ranged vs Melee

rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User
Hey folks...
I got a question, just trying to make sure my thinking is right...

I'm looking at the new gear for Ravenloft, and I'm liking the Hags Rags, with it's equip power of 3% dmg bonus when using ranged powers.
Just to make sure I got it straight, SW powers are considered range, correct?

The reason I ask is because I know some of our powers, PoP, BoVA, which my SW uses on her Fury build alot, seem to be more effective when up close. And right now she is using the armor that drops from Polaris in Omu. So my SW would be taking a quite big hit in AC.

So, even though I would be using those powers in what would be considered melee range, but are ranged attack powers, I might switch up her artifact gear to the new one that has the Book of the Undead, because the cloak from that new set gives a +8 AC at legendary

Comments

• Options
    murphyvamurphyva Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    As far as I know the majority of our powers our ranged
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Honestly, it isn't something you can just guess because the powers have to be coded so as to trigger the bonus. Ranged is probably the best choice without testing as a number of powers work with Eyestalk Wraps, which is a buff to ranged powers. But hopefully we'll get test results soon.

ETA works with wrappers:
    Hellish Rebuke
    Essence Defilier
    Soul Scorch
    Killing Flames
    Hadar's Grasp
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Pillar of power is not ranged, counts as melee as far as I know.
    Not sure about Accursed Soul, Cursed bites, BoVA, Infernal spheres, but even if they count as melee there is not much use in a dps setup as long as you don´t focus on "trash clearing", except BovA for some rare moments in a Soulbindersetup... maybe.
    I also run those Eyestalker wraps, Fured Kiuno is not that good I´d say.
    I´d like to test boots of the willled, but too lazy to work that much for little percent.
    I guess Ring of offensive action and Enduring Boots would be a good choice too , but I never tested them so far, same as Fancy wraps, never tested them.
    I guess mod 14 will look like the same for me, take what you get in easy mode and don´t waste 100´s of hours to get that one pic from a bounty or pay 4mio AD, no way.
    Post edited by schietindebux on
  • Options
    rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User
    Thanks for the tips all.

I find BoVA works for me pretty well, and as @schietindebux mentioned.. especially in mob clearing.
    I generally run PoP, BoVA and FB in fury mode, and PoP, AoH, and something else in Temp mode. Still trying to figure out a good 3rd power. Maybe I'll take HG.... but wouldn't HG be good against single target?

During bosses, I'll switch out FB for DT.

My SW might not be the greatest at dps, but she can get the job done, plus I like the character and have fun playing her :)

But, I'm starting to lean toward the new armor, and switch to the new "Dead" set that utilizes the Thayan Book of the Dead.
  • Options
    naoqueroforumnaoqueroforum Member Posts: 225 Arc User

Pillar of power is not ranged, counts as melee as far as I know.
    Not sure about Accursed Soul, Cursed bites, BoVA, Infernal spheres, but even if they count as melee there is not much use in a dps setup as long as you don´t focus on "trash clearing", except BovA for some rare moments in a Soulbindersetup... maybe.
    I also run those Eyestalker wraps, Fured Kiuno is not that good I´d say.
    I´d like to test boots of the willled, but too lazy to work that much for little percent.
    I guess Ring of offensive action and Enduring Boots would be a good choice too , but I never tested them so far, same as Fancy wraps, never tested them.
    I guess mod 14 will look like the same for me, take what you get in easy mode and don´t waste 100´s of hours to get that one pic from a bounty or pay 4mio AD, no way.

PoP doesn't count as melee. Only powers I found to be considered as melee are HoB(melee version) and BoH's Bite (maybe forgot another one).
    Pop is not ranged either, so doesn't get buffed by either eyestalk, hags or kiuno of the bear. GoH is another power which isn't considered either ranged or melee, and there are probably others.

Didn't get the rags yet, but it seems like it is a good option unless it doesn't stack with eyestalk for some reason.
  • Options
    schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    Eyestalker worked with everything except HoB melee and PoP, and that BoH Bite as said above.
    Enduring boots worked with all of those as far as I can tell.
  • Options
    rodostorodosto Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    PoP, Gates, BoVA are all considered melee/untyped and will not get buffed by Rags. Except PoP, these are not most used powers anyways. We do use PoP mainly buffing anyways. It does nice damage of course but you need to stand on it to get its full power.