test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What we have...is a failure to communicate

adinosiiadinosii Posts: 2,581Member, NW M9 Playtest Arc User
edited May 16 in Player Feedback (PC)
I am seeing some "newbie" players get really frustrated, for one particular reason. Here you have a rant, copied from another forum:

(and yes, I know the second one is borderline flaming, but the point here is that the game is losing newbie players because they cannot get into the game, because they cannot communicate.

There are much better "solutions" than the current one....I suggest that one of those be implemented.

its a frustrating game, when you cannot talk and you are stuck, and people added you to their group and you cant even explain to them what is goig gon!!
something with items in a overflwo bag... no idea... iam stuck talking to this woman, and it is frustrating as hell not able being to talk!!!!!!!!

and guy keep asking: what is going on we can help
and iam jumping up and down like a idiot.....very helpful!!!

And another.

iam almost 9 hours into this game I STILL CANT TALK!~!!!
iam level 11 or 12 and I STILL CANT TALK., it say is have to do 5 quests
BUT WHERE TO START THESE QUESTS!!!!!

utter utter frustration!!, i see a lvl 5 walkign with a pet, i want a pet too, i ask her where can i get such a pet??, CANT TALK!!

what ♥♥♥♥ing MORON made this NO TALK RULE!!!! we are NEW PLAYERS we ASK A LOT OF STUPID NOOB QUSTIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

the person who made this rule fo 5 quests than u can talk/trade, [ed] could have done much better!!! you only FRUSTRATE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you make a mandatory do 5 quests to talk thing!! yet where to do them 5 quests god ♥♥♥♥ing knows!!!

iam frustrated as hell!!!, a MMO is supposed to be social!!! not this anti social ♥♥♥♥!!!
iam gonna write my steam review pon this basis, and thyumbs down this ♥♥♥♥♥♥game!!!
a game is supposed to give players pleasure, this is just frustrating!!!!...

spend 9 hours in game did 13+ quests stil cant talk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! iam lvl 12 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! why cant i not talk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

time to write my steam review!!!, this system sucks!!!!, i dont care about gold seller bots or spam bots, i just wanna be able to play the freaking game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if you have illegal transactions goign on, than muting people is not hte solution, quit your pay to win ♥♥♥♥ and you wont have any gold sellers!, if their are gold sellers in the game or tyheir is a illegal blackmarket in this game, that means the dev allowed it to be in the game!, because they wanna earn money that way to , yet dont want any competition from others!!!.

I wonder how many players leave because of issues like these.
Post edited by tripsofthrymr on
Primary: Tanya - Female Half-elf DC
Secondary: Draupnir Irontoe - Male Dwarf GF (and 14 others I play even less)

Member of Civil Anarchy

Comments

• tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Posts: 1,563Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Community Moderator
    I agree with the sentiment of the post. The early game experience could be much better. In addition to the rather unfocused anti-bot measures:
    • New player's first exposure to Dungeons is with level 70's speed running the content.
    • New player's first exposure to Dragons is in a context where the dragon generally dies in seconds.
    Upcoming changes to level scaling may reduce the power gap a bit between new toons and 70's, but those "old hands" are still looking to complete the content as fast as possible (been there, done that, gotta do it another hundred times) instead of pausing to experience the wonder of the game.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Cryptic of Kelemvor (NW-DQMV5SWT5) Pokes good-natured fun at the AD nerf and many other things
    The Legend of Nicolas
    The Rise of Nicolas (NW-DAYMFZO7V) White Dragon Winter (NW-DEUHGX6AO) Icy the Snow Troll (NW-DN6RJGT3B)
    Is the Foundry important? R.A. Salvatory things so (clip, full stream)
    Author, The Gods We Make and Ji-min
  • regenerderegenerde Posts: 2,005Member Arc User
    edited May 16
    Well, perhaps they could start with a better feedback message when a new player tries to write something in chat, followed by a new entry in the Journal that guides them through the process of lifting those restrictions.

About the first experience with "Dungeons & Dragons" encounters... may be they could fit some kind of instanced dungeon/skirmish run somewhere in the quests offered by Sgt. Knox, where you would have to fight through a small dungeon/skirmish with a few well known NPCs (or perhaps players within level range?) at your side, and at which end a dragons awaits.

Nothing too complicated or long, and perhaps with "lessons" in avoiding traps and/or special attacks from bosses/dragons?
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Posts: 2,152Member Arc User
    edited May 16
    is it possible to have a separate pe instance chat channel for actual new players up to like level 20 where there are no level 70's. chat bots aren't going to get any love from brand new players so they'll give it up if that's the only people they are reaching right? or am I being naive.

maybe new information bots could be placed all over pe with a little guide that people can use. a little toon that takes them from the information kiosk to where they want to go (in pe)
    xbox guild Excalibur (great endgame guild. highly recommended)

Main toons
    Tiberius Rex SW Combat hr 16.7
    Shepard Book Do Dc 16.8

PC imaginary friends currently sleeping.

ps4 deleted from hd. lol
  • regenerderegenerde Posts: 2,005Member Arc User
    edited May 20
    AD seller bots will spam into any channel they can reach, and i doubt that new players will be too happy with getting no actual help when asking a question in that new chat, while ending up on every single mailing list there is from AD sellers.

May be let new players at least write in /say, when they've reached level 5 and fullfilled an easy quest from Sgt. Knox?
    Also, when they get invited into a guild, let them use the guild chat, so that they can get some help in there as well.

And while this might also open the /say chat to spam again, most of the AD sellers will still go "all the way" in unlocking all chats for their spamming in the end.
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • plasticbatplasticbat Posts: 4,230Member, NW M9 Playtest Arc User
    There are 2 issues.
    1. new player cannot talk.
    2. old player cannot talk to new player and sometime they don't know the person is not allowed to talk and just think he is rude.

Suggestions:
    1. Communication to be allowed within party/queue group.
    2. When old player fails to talk to the new player, he should get a system message and suggest him to add the person to the party in order to communicate.
    3. Allow new player to poke another player so that another player can choose to invite the new player to a party to communicate.
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Posts: 326Member, NW M9 Playtest Arc User

There are 2 issues.
    1. new player cannot talk.
    2. old player cannot talk to new player and sometime they don't know the person is not allowed to talk and just think he is rude.

Suggestions:
    1. Communication to be allowed within party/queue group.
    2. When old player fails to talk to the new player, he should get a system message and suggest him to add the person to the party in order to communicate.
    3. Allow new player to poke another player so that another player can choose to invite the new player to a party to communicate.

I love those suggestions.... well except for maybe #3... don't want to be poked everytime I visit PE ;)

I recently had a new player join my guild. This was someone an existing member knows. As the GL, I was unable to say anything to them or give them direction on what to do or what NPCs to talk to... was very frustrating for me and them.

And since this communication "blackout" extends to email also, I couldn't do that.
  • elforenelforen Posts: 11Member Arc User
    Well, there is something a bit off from all the above. The in-game mail, private text block lines, and in-game voice chat isn't working at all, or 'truly' not understood?

I presume 'newbies' have been presented every thing to get to wherever they are, but their "friend(s)" are the level of communication missing. It's the social skill that some 'newbies' have to learn given 8 or more languages are frolicking about Neverwinter.

When I joined a guild in Summer 2014, the GL crafted a "newbie's" foundry queue with the layout of how he imagined how his guild hall would look. The Stronghold has come out, but the idea seems good to me. Something like that tagged to an NPC in Protector's Enclave or Moonstone Mask to let the 'newbie' see a little more animated presentation than the level 1 though 5 walk through.
  • frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Posts: 155Member Arc User
    edited May 20
    - lots of good suggestions

Even something as simple as a kiosk with a list of basic FAQ would be helpful.
    Or maybe even an ask for Help! option added to more confusing issues which would send out an automated zone wide call: "Please Help! What is an Overflow Bag?," or "Please help! Why can't I switch loadouts?"

...though, that could get old for everyone really fast.

I think a lot of new players are stumped by the same things:

1) What to do with those crystal shards in the Order of the Third Eye campaign
    2) The overflow thing
    3) How to turn in your finished Elemental Seed (it's not all that clear that you have to go into the inventory to awaken it)
    4) Why you suddenly can't switch character loadouts
    5) What it means if the quest route disappears and in the journal ends with a red X
  • ragequittingdc#8599 ragequittingdc Posts: 162Member Arc User
    > @regenerde said:
    > Well, perhaps they could start with a better feedback message when a new player tries to write something in chat, followed by a new entry in the Journal that guides them through the process of lifting those restrictions.
    >
    > About the first experience with "Dungeons & Dragons" encounters... may be they could fit some kind of instanced dungeon/skirmish run somewhere in the quests offered by Sgt. Knox, where you would have to fight through a small dungeon/skirmish with a few well known NPCs (or perhaps players within level range?) at your side, and at which end a dragons awaits.
    >
    > Nothing too complicated or long, and perhaps with "lessons" in avoiding traps and/or special attacks from bosses/dragons?

that's actually sort of how it works on some p2p games I assume these days, since I've experienced it myself on one(xiv), and it works pretty well. you can chat in guild or say at the earliest parts of the game and as you level up AND complete quests you unlock the other filters. there is still botting on there as well but it is negligable and to be expected honestly. you just can't stop all of them immediately but with so few it's probably alot easier to weed them out.
    im actually the gwf carry
  • elforenelforen Posts: 11Member Arc User

- lots of good suggestions

...I think a lot of new players are stumped by the same things:

1) What to do with those crystal shards in the Order of the Third Eye campaign
    2) The overflow thing
    3) How to turn in your finished Elemental Seed (it's not all that clear that you have to go into the inventory to awaken it)
    4) Why you suddenly can't switch character loadouts
    5) What it means if the quest route disappears and in the journal ends with a red X

I still laugh about #5. I hit that in the first iteration of Valindra's Tower by that forest path. Server graphic tracking errors still linger on. LOL!