test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Prieview Server Mod 14 Graphics/Display Issues and HUD Reset

trgluestickztrgluestickz Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
I just logged onto the preview server to check out the first build of module 14.

My HUD was reset to default when I logged in.

Another more pressing issue was that although my graphics/display settings on preview are exactly the same as they are on live right now, texture detail was fuzzy and a little pixelated on preview. I played with my settings for a while trying to figure out a new setup that would make the blurryness go away but nothing I do changes the fuzzyness at all. Its especially noticeable for characters and mounts but the world around me looks almost normal.

I'm worried I won't be able to fix this on my end if this blurryness is still around when module 14 launches on live. I had something similar happen when module 13 hit but I was able to quickly fix it by changing a few of my settings. On preview right now, nothing I try makes an improvement to the blurryness and most other settings make things even worse. I even tried resetting it to default but that did not help either.

Additional Info:
My computer has a larger resolution size than Neverwinter was originally designed to run on (3840 X 2160). On live right now and for past modules, I was able to adjust my settings till I got almost everything looking just as good as it would look on a smaller computer screen. Graphics/display is crystal clear and the only issues with it are player nametags being undersized and minor issues with certain horizontal tabs running off the screen, both of which I can live with.

Here is the setup I use right now on live, this is also the same setup I had on preview when I first logged in:

NW Graphics, UI, and Resolution Settings:
Display mode: windows maximized
Fullscreen Resolution: 3840 X 2160
Aspect Ratio: Widescreen 16:9 (TVs)
Render Quality (video card) maxed
Graphics Detail (CPU) maxed
Resolution Scale: 1:00
Interface Scale: 2:00
Font Scale: 1:00

Desktop Resolution Settings:
Scale and Layout: 200% (recommended)
Resolution: 3840 x 2180 (recommended)
Orientation: landscape

Here is the setup I used for past modules:

NW Graphics, UI, and Resolution Settings:
Display mode: windows maximized
Fullscreen Resolution: 1366 x 768
Aspect Ratio: Widescreen 16:9 (TVs)
Render Quality (video card) maxed
Graphics Detail (CPU) maxed
Resolution Scale: 1:00
Interface Scale: 2:00
Font Scale: 1:00

Desktop Resolution Settings:
Scale and Layout: 200% (recommended)
Resolution: 3840 x 2180 (recommended)
Orientation: landscape
--
PVP Rogue,
--[----- "Your friendly neighborhood spawn of Satan." -----]--
----------------------------------------------------------------
Main Character: Hurricane Marigolds (Rogue WK & Assassin)
Ingame Handle: trgluestickz
Discord Name: Hurricane🌀Marigolds#2563
Guilds: She Looked LVL 18 & Essence of Aggression
Alliances: Imperium & Order of the Silent Shroud
Platform: PC

Comments

• miasmatmiasmat Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 318 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2018
    Try clicking "Reset to Defaults" on the Graphics tab of Options to see if that resolves the blurry textures. I'm wondering if some hidden graphics option is still affecting your client.

Actually, before you do that, save your "GamePrefs.pref" as a separate file somewhere and send them both to me. Mine is in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Neverwinter RunEvery\Neverwinter\Live\localdata\Gameprefs.Pref", but it should be in the localdata folder of wherever the game is installed on your machine.
  • trgluestickztrgluestickz Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    miasmat said:

Try clicking "Reset to Defaults" on the Graphics tab of Options to see if that resolves the blurry textures. I'm wondering if some hidden graphics option is still affecting your client.

Actually, before you do that, save your "GamePrefs.pref" as a separate file somewhere and send them both to me. Mine is in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Neverwinter RunEvery\Neverwinter\Live\localdata\Gameprefs.Pref", but it should be in the localdata folder of wherever the game is installed on your machine.

I know there is a way to save your binds and settings as files but I don't actually know how to do that or how to use other people's files. Could you explain how to do that? I usually just stash my binds and settings in well organized emails or documents and manually fix it if it gets reset on me.
    --
    PVP Rogue,
    edited May 2018
    miasmat said:

@miasmat

I got a more tech savy guildmate to help me find the files you are talking about. I assume you mean the ones for both preview and live? I am unsure how to get these files to you though, you asked me to send them to you but unsure how you mean for me to do that.
    --
    PVP Rogue,
  • miasmatmiasmat Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 318 Cryptic Developer
    There's a strong chance that your computer fell into a set of specs we were incorrectly detecting, and overly aggressively down-rezzing textures that we didn't need to. So you'd see poor texture quality. That detection should be fixed for this weekend's build, so please give it another test. Thanks!
    edited May 2018
    @miasmat

I thought I should show you what I'm seeing, here are 3 screenshots I took today on the preview server. These were taken after I hit reset to defaults and with the 2 scrollbars for render quality and graphics detail maxed out:

https://i.imgur.com/sIZiQjj.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/TSvZgfX.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Mj9QNyv.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To give you an idea of the difference, here are 3 more screenshots I took on the live server today:

https://i.imgur.com/QdLpT9O.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/CGcaAQF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lZEFyF6.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here is 1 older screenshot from the live server:

https://i.imgur.com/FhzgAN8.png
    --
    PVP Rogue,
    edited May 2018
    miasmat said:

There's a strong chance that your computer fell into a set of specs we were incorrectly detecting, and overly aggressively down-rezzing textures that we didn't need to. So you'd see poor texture quality. That detection should be fixed for this weekend's build, so please give it another test. Thanks!

Over email, you requested another copy of my preview server prefs file from after I hit reset to defaults for the graphics section, I've sent it, let me know if you don't receive it for whatever reason.
    --
    PVP Rogue,
  • xswordbeastxxswordbeastx Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Try to disable anti-aliasing. There was new option for it added in M14 and it is selected by default.
  • qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User

Try to disable anti-aliasing. There was new option for it added in M14 and it is selected by default.

That is already available/live in Mod13. Just set Antialiasing to 'None'
    on the Display panel in the Options screen.
  • ibz4ez#9773 ibz4ez Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    I also had this exact same issue on my laptop, but not desktop. The fix I identified was to change the Window display option from Windowed-Fullscreen to plain Fullscreen. However, this fuzziness and blur of textures, even at max settings using the sliders, is not present on Fullscreen-Windowed on live.
  • muratttimurattti Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    i have 4k pg348q pc player I'm fullscreen 100 fps all to time it gets stuck in the image and freezing.
    miasmat said:

@miasmat

I just logged into preview to check if the blurryness was fixed. It has been fixed sucessfully. Thank you!
    --
    PVP Rogue,
  • rodgerm9rodgerm9 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2 Arc User
    I have a 4k ASUS PB287Q monitor with the following settings: Desktop resolution 3840 x 2160 Active signal resolution 3840 x 2160 Refresh rate (Hz) 30 Hz, Bit depth 8-bit, Color format RGB, Color Space Standard dynamic range (SDR). My scale and layout for the size of TextMap’s and other items is 150 %, (Recommended), Orientation Landscape. While in game, in the options, display menu, I clicked on the highest resolution available (not thinking before I did it) and my Graphics Card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980) made my screen black out. I can't get back into the game to reset the in game, option, display resolution lower. How can I get back into the game and reset the resolution for my monitor? Any thoughts?
    Rodgerm9
  • sangrinesangrine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 575 Arc User
    rodgerm9 said:

I have a 4k ASUS PB287Q monitor with the following settings: Desktop resolution 3840 x 2160 Active signal resolution 3840 x 2160 Refresh rate (Hz) 30 Hz, Bit depth 8-bit, Color format RGB, Color Space Standard dynamic range (SDR). My scale and layout for the size of TextMap’s and other items is 150 %, (Recommended), Orientation Landscape. While in game, in the options, display menu, I clicked on the highest resolution available (not thinking before I did it) and my Graphics Card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980) made my screen black out. I can't get back into the game to reset the in game, option, display resolution lower. How can I get back into the game and reset the resolution for my monitor? Any thoughts?

Enable "safe mode" in the neverwinter launcher.
    https://ibb.co/jhQVCo