I'd like to broach the topic of PVP again with some helpful suggestions that I feel would quickly revive PVP. This is by no means a discussion on how to completely balance PVP, rather simply an attempt to show that PVP can be raised from the ashes with a few steps and minimal coding changes.
1) Force rainbow Q's in all but private Q for PVP. This is a pseudo form of balance in and of itself, even if one class dominates because of imbalance issues, this will give each team the chance to get only one and potentially moot each other out. Then it's just a matter of which team has the better rotations.
2) Get rid of procced stuns and damage from gear. Procc's in PVE are inconsequential as most mobs are either fodder or CC immune. However in PVP that random procc of sandy's pants, the cursebringer ring (which still affects you for it's full duration) thunderhead (which is still not fixed entirely as self buffs that crit are also an issue, my pally can multi procc it on himself for example) and the chultan boon: impenetrable jungle.
The reason is simple, these are skill-less proccs that are random and therefore unavoidable. They give classes CC that don't need them or shouldn't have them and give classes that are CC heavy even more CC. CC is one of the biggest complaints in PVP. We want to fight, not sit dazed, stunned, or rooted for an entire match. CC should be used sparingly and skillfully in combination with a rotation in order to achieve the most damage. Not cause a fight where there is no actual fight.
3) Fix imbalances as best as possible. It seems this is the goal in mod 14 with the changes to BC on GF (good call as it's the GFs complete CC rotation that is overperforming, their damage secondary to that), and the changes to SoD on TRs. I'll wait till those are available for testing to say anything more on that as SoD has the tendency to break in PVP even with adjustments.
4) Re-initiate the NCL with good rewards. This is THE fastest way to reinvigorate PVP. Make it worth while for players. The mounts from the old NCL were highly sought after as well as other pieces from the trove. This was one of the best ideas ever implemented for PVP. It should be continuous and seasonal with resets in order to allow fresh blood to enjoy the potential for reward in PVP.
5) Please, please release the other map that has been present for a long time but never finalized/released. We, the players, deserve a new map
While these simple steps are not comprehensive, they are a simple road map to bringing fun, engaging, challenge and reward back to PVP. I would love to see some opinions on these suggestions or perhaps more elegant solutions.
Thanks for your time.
On ambush rings: "How would you like PVE if all the mobs were invisible?"