Install Arc

You slimy troll licker!

I'm curious, does this mean:

a) you are slimy, and you lick trolls, or

b) you lick slimy trolls?

Thank you for clarifying.

Comments

• dairyzeusdairyzeus Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    Based off the way the laughing skull says this line I'm inclined to believe you are slimy, and lick trolls.

Could be wrong though, would be nice to get an official response for this.
  • abysstic1#7048 abysstic1 Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    I could be wrong here, but I believe this particular etymology of this common northern Faerûn personal aspersion can draw its origin from a litany of historical references.

Some of the earliest references come form The Netherese Empire, in the region now known as Anauroch, the greatest desert in Faerûn. There are references in ancient texts by self identified social magical elite, usually of a adolescent nature, belittling classmates by calling them trolls, identifying their peers in a way to belittle their station. Slimy on the other hand was quite frequently used as an adjective at this same time. Although not paired with troll or licker it is not far of a stretch to believe that slimy troll could be also used as a derogatory or even inflammatory retort.

Some other interesting clues can be found from the Uthgardt barbarian tribes, specifically the great worm tribe in the fell pass. As a particular gruesome right of passage being counted as a ‘troll licker’ was a badge of honor for specific groups of hunters. Getting close enough in hand to hand combat to ‘lick a troll’ was an indication of personal fortitude and a display of superior courage. This could easily be mixed with old references to the tree ghost tribe that used the infamous brown trolls slime to brew powerful concoctions used by shamans to interact with the spirit world. Therefore a ‘slimy troll licker’ could be an indication of a particularly powerful Uthgardt barbarian shaman. Though the laughing skull seems more intent on degradation then adulation, so I would think this reference is without merit.

Most likely though the jocular skull is referring to mean spirited ‘clap-trap’ used widely in Baldur’s Gate and the regions just north of the city. Here slimy is used as an adjective. Troll is used as the lowest form of human to monster interaction, and ‘Licker’ could mean the same as ‘sniffer’, ‘ fornicator’ , or ‘ sympathizer’. Either way when used in a conjunction of ‘slimy troll licker’, the intent is to be as mean spirited as possible all the while having some undertone witty banter. But then again, what do I know.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    it's clearly you are slimey and you lick trolls. because trolls don't have slimy skin much like their close relative the snake. they are also too stupid to be slimy in the adverb sense. in order to be capable of that sort of artifice you have to at least have a walnut sized brain. they are despicable yes but it's their natural straight forward personality not a measure of conniving.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    How I choose to spend my Friday nights is none of your business. Don't judge me.
  • chimeraxchimerax Member Posts: 204 Arc User

it's clearly you are slimey and you lick trolls. because trolls don't have slimy skin much like their close relative the snake. they are also too stupid to be slimy in the adverb sense. in order to be capable of that sort of artifice you have to at least have a walnut sized brain. they are despicable yes but it's their natural straight forward personality not a measure of conniving.

But what if they are in a bad environment that causes them to be slimy?

• abysstic1#7048 abysstic1 Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    > @chimerax said:
    > it's clearly you are slimey and you lick trolls. because trolls don't have slimy skin much like their close relative the snake. they are also too stupid to be slimy in the adverb sense. in order to be capable of that sort of artifice you have to at least have a walnut sized brain. they are despicable yes but it's their natural straight forward personality not a measure of conniving.
    >
    > But what if they are in a bad environment that causes them to be slimy?

Very good point. Taken from http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Scrag

Scrag," "aquatic troll," and "marine troll" could refer to any troll that lived in water.[5] However, "scrag" often referred specifically to a freshwater troll, also called a "river troll." In that case, a saltwater troll was called a "marine scrag."[4]

Perhaps the our humorous snickering skull is attempting allusion here, instead of calling someone a Scrag, being a bit more descriptive to better suit it’s view of it’s Intended audience.