test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Truth about problem of guild boons

dolreydolrey Member Posts: 741 Arc User
edited April 2018 in Player Feedback (PC)
Hello. Here I would like to write some words about one theme which suddenly became very popular lately. Yes, I am talking about guild boons system.

The most incomprehensible (or maybe I would say suspicious) for me is that this system already exists more than one year and for all this time everything was fine. Everything was working right and everyone had no troubles with it.

I agree that something associated with access to guild boons for beginners should be done. But I suspect that most part of suggestions with asks to nerf guild boons or to remove them at all caused by selfish motivations. And looks like that someone just don't want to spend time and resources building their stronghold.

It's like: "Hey! Everyone around in PvP have lions but I have no. So give me it for free please or remove it from the game at all because I don't want to spend time or resources getting it." Something wrong right?

So what I would like to say in this thread. Dear developers please don't think that guild boons system is broken. It works fine. Just do something with access to guild boons for beginners and that is all. Thanks.

Comments

• frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    The last dev comment I read about guild boons made it sound like there was no reason to touch them at all, so I'm pretty sure your boons are safe.

As for making them available to beginners, aren't they already? - just have to join a guild.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,206 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    pterias said:

Yeah, problems really started when they introduced SH Boons into IL last year. Before, it was more out of sight, out of mind, especially if you at least had a personal guild on your name tag. After boons went into IL though, that's when the cracks really started appearing. Combine that with harder dungeons and the bonding nerf, yeah, it is a bigger problem than it used to be.

Why does IL level have any significant besides the entrance requirement for certain dungeons/quests?
    High IL does not mean the character has to be stronger. It has always been a kind of pointless number for reference before boon has IL and after.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,090 Arc User
    dolrey said:

Wait. What exactly is the problem of guild boons?

1) Is the problem in that they give IL? Campaign boons give IL too but no one cares about it. Same mechanics same stats. If someone have not so good build it is not problem of boons.
    2) Is the problem in that some players or guilds can't afford top level of boons? There are a lot of things in the game which are very expencive. And it is normal for mmorpg to contain things which are time-investive or expencive. Also as I know with introducing alliances guilds got ability to increase speed of building your stronghold.

In this thread I just wanted to write some feedback that removing guild boons or something like this is not what most part of active players need. Yes, maybe some smaller problems exists and their fix can make gameplay more comfortable for some players but global rework of guild boons system isn't needed.

The problem is that some people want the boons but don't want to be in a guild to get them.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    dolrey said:

1) Is the problem in that they give IL? Campaign boons give IL too but no one cares about it. Same mechanics same stats. If someone have not so good build it is not problem of boons.

I think the way IL is working right now is a bit off, too. Every now and then, players have to choose between two pieces of equipment, one with better stats, and one with a higher IL, and many players choose the one with a higher IL even though it hurts their build - just to increase their chances of getting into parties. Lately, I've noticed more players around who have higher ILs than my characters, but lower stats - much lower in some cases. And I wonder if a few of them don't just flock to these big guilds thinking their boons will enable them to skip the whole campaign and enchantment grind. Or maybe, they're just looking for a jumpstart. I don't know, but either way, even with guild boons, a player can be 9k, yet perform like a 6K.
    greywynd said:

The problem is that some people want the boons but don't want to be in a guild to get them.

And some players don't care about having them at all. They're happy enough to only play main content, and never set foot inside an epic dungeon, and don't care one way or another about pvp. Apparently they're making life harder for the devs, too, because they have to be taken into consideration when planning content.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,090 Arc User
    If your guild is in an alliance you can use a higher level guild's artisan to get the masterwork and Explorer's Guild shop to get the charts.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    greywynd said:

If your guild is in an alliance you can use a higher level guild's artisan to get the masterwork and Explorer's Guild shop to get the charts.

True, but most small guilds are in alliances with other small guilds. Certainly in the case of my old guild, we are R10 and middle tier, the leaders of the alliance are only a couple of ranks higher so can't get the newer charts which require a R7 MP.

My R20 guild (until some recent shenanigans) had the lowest level guild in its alliance maybe R17.
  • omegarealities#7219 omegarealities Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User

pterias said:

Yeah, problems really started when they introduced SH Boons into IL last year. Before, it was more out of sight, out of mind, especially if you at least had a personal guild on your name tag. After boons went into IL though, that's when the cracks really started appearing. Combine that with harder dungeons and the bonding nerf, yeah, it is a bigger problem than it used to be.

Why does IL level have any significant besides the entrance requirement for certain dungeons/quests?
    High IL does not mean the character has to be stronger. It has always been a kind of pointless number for reference before boon has IL and after.
    Just because IL is pointless, that hasn't stopped it from being a fast & dirty measuring stick for getting players into content. This has been the case since before IL was IL.
    Arc does this themselves. Why should groups be able to do it?
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    I got four guild-less toons, including a GF and DC, all near 14K and I can't get into any pre-made ToNG/CoDG groups. I've only seen a bit of ToNG/CoDG via Hero's Accord. But it is nearly impossible to finish them atm by pugging. I pretty much have to wait another mod or two for the power creep to allow ToNG/CoDG to be puggable.

It's a hard problem. I don't think removing guild boons from IL will solve it. People will just start looking for 14K in big guild.
  • werdandi#8366 werdandi Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    Could be a good start if the the weight of SH utility and pvp boons could be decreased in the total Item Level.
  • spidey#3367 spidey Member Posts: 400 Arc User

I got four guild-less toons, including a GF and DC, all near 14K and I can't get into any pre-made

No friendlist?

But it is nearly impossible to finish them atm by pugging.

Thats not a matter of guild boons or gearscore...sry. A group with 14k can easy make cradle/tong if they know what they have to do.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User

I got four guild-less toons, including a GF and DC, all near 14K and I can't get into any pre-made ToNG/CoDG groups.

Well, you are doing something wrong then, at least as far as the DC is concerned. While most ToNG/CoDG groups want 15-18K people, the DO DC is the exception, as its powers don't really scale much with higher stats. As long as you slot TI and have enough Recovery to keep HG and (empowered) BtS up, you are pretty much doing your job....and you can do that just as well at 14K as 18K.

Most high-IL players know this, and are fine with a DO DC in their group having a lower IL than the rest.

I suggest you work on improving your friend list.
    Hoping for improvements...
    edited May 2018
    Does anyone else wish those big boons had never been offered?
    If future content is being planned to compensate for their existence...what's the point of having them?
    - other than to compensate for the compensation?
    edited May 2018

If future content is being planned to compensate for their existence...what's the point of having them?

IMO, in long term, the SH boon will eventually be marginalized. Right now 2000 IL sounds like a big deal. For a 14K iL character (which was the best once upon of time), it is 1/7. When an "average" character has 30K IL, 2K IL does not mean much. It is like Dread Ring boon was a big deal, now, not so much.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • poselynn98#6077 poselynn98 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    dolrey said:

One definite difference is that most Campaign Boons can be achieved solo, whereas Guild Boons are "significantly" more difficult to get with one character, one account, or anything less than a moderate sized, dedicated group.

• callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

IMO, in long term, the SH boon will eventually be marginalized. Right now 2000 IL sounds like a big deal. For a 14K iL character (which was the best once upon of time), it is 1/7. When an "average" character has 30K IL, 2K IL does not mean much. It is like Dread Ring boon was a big deal, now, not so much.
    Thats an interesting point. And also some of that 2000iL isnt that great is it?

Thats an interesting point. And also some of that 2000iL isnt that great is it?
    No, they are not. That was why I said IL is pointless besides being used as entrance requirement.
  • archangelzorak01archangelzorak01 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 324 Arc User
    People (read d-bags) ask for high itemlevel persons for their groups because they can and because it exists. I may come off hypocritical here because I'm a guild leader in a guild that requires potential applicants to have 12k IL. We do this because inviting persons not capable of running end-game content would be a waste of their time and a waste of our time, not because we're itemlevel snobs. Now that that's out of the way.

There is nothing stopping a 14k party from finishing TONG in 15-20 minutes. There is nothing stopping a 14k party from completing Cradle. Max guild boons aren't necessary for completing any content in the game as it is, having these boons simply allows you to do it in a little less time or with a little more ease.

Itemlevel is just a tool to prevent people from trying to enter dungeons that are most likely above their capabilities, and those bars are set pretty low. As far as people asking for 17k+ or other such nonsense... I'd say they're just trashy people doing trashy things and they aren't worth your time. Avoid them as necessary.

In The Holy/Unholy Crusaders and across the entire Relentless Alliance no one asks for high itemlevels to run any dungeons and we're doing just fine. ... getting people to stop falling off the platform... thats a whole 'nother can'o'worms.

It is my opinion that the entire Strongholds system and all things tied to it is a very short-sighted system in need of adjustment and augmentation. But that is a topic deserving of its own rant thread.
    Neverwinter Module 6: The only MMO expansion in the history of MMO's to remove more content than it added.

Thats not a matter of guild boons or gearscore...sry. A group with 14k can easy make cradle/tong if they know what they have to do.

My only choice for ToNG and CoDG is the Heroic Accord queue. The requirements is only 12K. You not going to find many superstars here.
    adinosii said:

I suggest you work on improving your friend list.

Ha ha. Yeah my friends list is pretty sad now. I only see like one or two other person on most nights. And maybe two or three more show up on the weekends. I have a long list of people that have gone dark long ago...
  • anusamoralis#5249 anusamoralis Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    greywynd said:

dolrey said:

2) Is the problem in that some players or guilds can't afford top level of boons? There are a lot of things in the game which are very expencive. And it is normal for mmorpg to contain things which are time-investive or expencive. Also as I know with introducing alliances guilds got ability to increase speed of building your stronghold.

In this thread I just wanted to write some feedback that removing guild boons or something like this is not what most part of active players need. Yes, maybe some smaller problems exists and their fix can make gameplay more comfortable for some players but global rework of guild boons system isn't needed.

Yes exactly, I dont want to join guild but I want to have same power/defence mount speed or xp boon. Imma new player, so game force me join guild even if I dont want? Horrible gring, time waste, boring not fun at all. For players who have 24 hours free time. If devs excpect I will start to charge ZEN to progress faster my SH they are wrong, I would buy zen for SH decorations or something else but like that atm SH its grndy and boring.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    Well, for those inside of a large and active guild/alliance everything probably looked just "fine" from the very beginning... but for everyone else it was and is far from fine.
    And that is not something that suddenly appeared out of nowhere, that is something more then enough players tried to talk about to the Devs for a very long time.
    Sure, there were some little changes here and there over the years, and sure if you devote every waking moment to grinding resources for your Stronghold, then even a small guild might get something together at some point.
    But more then enough players probably just gave up trying to reach the Devs on this matter, and probably also stopped playing the game at some point as well.

Like i said straight from the beginning of the whole Stronghold project, a fully functional (all boons, market and so on) basic Stronghold should have been made achievable within a certain timeframe through resource gathered directly from the Stronghold itself and some Gold/Astral Diamonds from the players.
    May be with the option to boost that process with some extra resources, so that large guilds would reach that point much faster.
    And if someone wants more, then he can still either try to get more players on board, start grinding for the needed resources 24/7 himself or join a larger guild directly, but the basic Stronghold stuff should be very easy to obtain.
    Also, this wouldn't take anything away from those big guild/alliances, they would still be the only ones with access to all ranks of the boons anyway.

What the hell... may be it's time to suggest that Stronghold boons only work inside the Stronghold area, perhaps that will wake a few up around here, and motivate them to look beyond the edge of their own plate.
    I mean, there are allready companions/equipment buffs that only work in the Stronghold, just copy & paste this onto the Stronghold boons and call it a day.
    No need for removing the Stronghold boons, just restrict them to the area they belong to.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    regenerde said:

What the hell... may be it's time to suggest that Stronghold boons only work inside the Stronghold area, perhaps that will wake a few up around here, and motivate them to look beyond the edge of their own plate.
    I mean, there are allready companions/equipment buffs that only work in the Stronghold, just copy & paste this onto the Stronghold boons and call it a day.
    No need for removing the Stronghold boons, just restrict them to the area they belong to.

This will cause many of us that have put hundreds of hours and many $ into building up those boons to quit in disgust.