test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Community Event - Introducing Build Spotlights!

nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
edited March 2018 in News & Announcements
Greetings Adventurers!

Starting next month we will begin streaming Build Spotlight events! We’ve put together a quick FAQ before kick-starting the event!

How does this work?
Cadence may vary based on community interest but the goal is to do this monthly. Each month, submission requests will open for a specific class. After the submission period is over, the community will vote on which build they would like to see spotlighted. After checking with the build’s creator to make sure it’s still relevant based on current game status, a stream will then be announced.

Note: Console players are welcomed to submit builds but all builds will be spotlighted on the PC Preview Build due to accessibility of Dev Powers/commands.

Why not announce the stream date ahead of time?
Because these will be community submitted builds, I would like if the community member who submitted the chosen build be available during the stream for any questions, feedback, and to give proper credit.

What information do I need to submit for a build?
Players are welcome to theorycraft and include data to back-up their build but for streaming purposes, these are the minimum requirements:

• Purpose (PvP, PvE, or both)
• Race
• Ability Score
• Heroic Feats
• Paragon Feats
• Rotation/spellbar
• Armor
• Weapons
• Enchants
• Artifacts
• Companions (with gear/enchants and runestone details)
• Boons
• Mounts

Screenshots are appreciated but not a requirement.

What if my build isn’t selected? Do I need to wait to resubmit when the class is up for submissions again?
Nope! Every few Build Spotlight Streams we will be doing a “Random Build Spotlight” where I will choose, at random, from any previously submitted builds across all classes.

If my build is chosen, do I get anything other than bragging rights?
Bragging rights are pretty cool but if your build is chosen, you will also receive a choice of code for either the HAMSTER or Barmaid’s Bane title.

Comments

• cilginordekcilginordek Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Finally a community title I might be able to acquire :o

Must builds be on forums or the builds on 3rd party sites like mmominds are also accepted?
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    If someone wins the event for 1 class, are they eligible for winning on another class or are they no longer eligible for the remaining 7 classes?
  • ltsmithnekoltsmithneko Member Posts: 1,578 Arc User
    @nitocris83 Chu are killing meh... cx

Welp I’ll focus on PvE for now and put the PvP to the side. -w• Sowwy PvP.
  • gromovnipljesak#8234 gromovnipljesak Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User

If someone wins the event for 1 class, are they eligible for winning on another class or are they no longer eligible for the remaining 7 classes?

i think they'll allow you to get one for every class. gotta catch 'em all, eh?
  • darkan#3756 darkan Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    If my build is theorycrafting i mean i use but not have maximun performance due bugs feats etc.. can participe or only builds have good performance can participe ?
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    The April Build Spotlight submission thread is open here. April will be for Scourge Warlocks.

As per player questions:
    @cilginordek : The build must be an original from you. If you've posted one in other sites previously, that's fine, but we will not accept well known builds made and published by other active users under a different name.

@thefabricant : If your build gets chosen one month, you can enter again for other classes but you will be on "cooldown" for a couple spotlight rounds. Basically, if you were to be chosen for April, the soonest you would be eligible again would be for the July spotlight.

@demonmonger : We are not starting out with TR but you can submit this one when it's TR time.

@kreatyve : if you win more than once and get both titles, then either just getting bragging rights or I may have other prizes available in the future :)

@darkan#3756 : All builds are accepted, regardless of performance. Sometimes builds are just fun to play even if you don't get highest numbers :)
  • danpio1217#3410 danpio1217 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited March 2018

The build must be an original from you. If you've posted one in other sites previously, that's fine, but we will not accept well known builds made and published by other active users under a different name.

I have never understood this whole 'build ownership' thing. No build is "owned" by a player. IMO, it unneccessarily builds up egos that have no reason to be so large. For example. GWFs basically have 1 real build, with a few minor tweak options (slam or battle fury for example).

Both builds have already been "published by other active users". If i take a heroic feat out of... say toughness and put it into something stoopid like grit, is this now my own unique build? If so thats silly. If its too similar you say you won't accept, so does that mean when we get to GWFs we're highlighting Sentinnel tanks? That would be hilarious, but do the opposite of what you're trying to do which I *think* is highlight effective builds for ppl to use.

What about the theorycrafters that constantly tinker. If they move a feat are both builds "theirs"? How many builds can one "own"? Can I just make a build for every combo and say "theyre mine! all mine! no one else can win!"

Also, if you choose to highlight builds that suck (99% of feat combos), the community will only further believe that you don't play your own game and have no idea what you're doing. If you choose to highlight builds that don't suck, there's pretty much only 1 or 2 real options for each class, which have already been published and thus not eligible for the contest.

Sharing builds is great. Encouraging egos and build "ownership" IMO... is not.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited March 2018

The build must be an original from you. If you've posted one in other sites previously, that's fine, but we will not accept well known builds made and published by other active users under a different name.

I have never understood this whole 'build ownership' thing. No build is "owned" by a player. IMO, it unneccessarily builds up egos that have no reason to be so large. For example. GWFs basically have 1 real build, with a few minor tweak options (slam or battle fury for example).

Both builds have already been "published by other active users". If i take a heroic feat out of... say toughness and put it into something stoopid like grit, is this now my own unique build? If so thats silly. If its too similar you say you won't accept, so does that mean when we get to GWFs we're highlighting Sentinnel tanks? That would be hilarious, but do the opposite of what you're trying to do which I *think* is highlight effective builds for ppl to use.

What about the theorycrafters that constantly tinker. If they move a feat are both builds "theirs"? How many builds can one "own"? Can I just make a build for every combo and say "theyre mine! all mine! no one else can win!"

Also, if you choose to highlight builds that suck (99% of feat combos), the community will only further believe that you don't play your own game and have no idea what you're doing. If you choose to highlight builds that don't suck, there's pretty much only 1 or 2 real options for each class, which have already been published and thus not eligible for the contest.

Sharing builds is great. Encouraging egos and build "ownership" IMO... is not.
    I don't think she is referring to the particular order of feats/boons/gear choices so much as the actual writing. Plagiarism in any area is pretty obvious, if you were to open 1 of my guides, copy and paste all the text into a new guide and then post it as your own (which there are a few sites which do do just that) it would be fairly obvious to be an exact copy of something I wrote. Submitting someone elses work is nothing other than plagiarism. Whilst to you it might not seem like quite a big deal, it is insulting to the people who put months of work into writing an article only to have someone else carbon copy all the text, post it somewhere else and claim it is theirs.

Its got nothing to do with egos, its got to do with the idea of plagiarism and giving proper credit where credit is due.
  • slyef#6396 slyef Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    As far as build goes, do I need to post 1 build only ? (Will loadouts, the guide and all the data behind it be accounted for ?)

Do you have to only use 1 set of powers or are you free to change depending on the situation ?
  • danpio1217#3410 danpio1217 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited March 2018

I don't think she is referring to the particular order of feats/boons/gear choices so much as the actual writing. Plagiarism in any area is pretty obvious, if you were to open 1 of my guides, copy and paste all the text into a new guide and then post it as your own (which there are a few sites which do do just that) it would be fairly obvious to be an exact copy of something I wrote. Submitting someone elses work is nothing other than plagiarism. Whilst to you it might not seem like quite a big deal, it is insulting to the people who put months of work into writing an article only to have someone else carbon copy all the text, post it somewhere else and claim it is theirs.

Its got nothing to do with egos, its got to do with the idea of plagiarism and giving proper credit where credit is due.

Not advocating plagiarism at all, and agree that a direct copy/paste should obviously not count as a submission. I guess I see a lot of players arguing over some of the more subtle differences in builds, and of course tossing around the 'that's not x's build, they stole it from y' thing, which seems pretty silly with a class like GWF that has 1 core path that is viable with very few actual tweaks/choices to be made.

The point i'm trying to get at is, (some) people can be very childish and egotistic when it comes to builds, especially when "build" in this context isn't thoroughly defined. Is is it the feats/powers? Gear? Write-up? Combination of each? And how different does it have to be to constitute a different build? Having answers to all these will avoid butt-hurt players calling foul. Maybe there's a standard that's already defined I'm not aware of, but in my past gaming experience, it seems like most make up a definition that benefits them :tongue:

When I started playing the game and I was looking for a build for my GWF, every build I came across was "you stole this from X, you stole this from Y, this isn't a new build, nothing new here" Maybe its the minority of posts, but there's a lot of confrontation already around posting builds. Turning it into a competition would seem to have the potential to turn that up to 11.

Long story short, I think "build" needs better definition in the context of a competition. Or maybe i'm overthinking it, and it doesn't really matter lol.

Moderated edited out names.
    Post edited by kreatyve on
  • ltsmithnekoltsmithneko Member Posts: 1,578 Arc User
    > @miguelfdz said:
    > @nitocris83, loadouts should be published as 1 post or several?

Likely a single post since load outs are part of builds. c: