test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Hunts = RNG behind RNG behind RNG :(

reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
I've been farming bears now for over 2 hours, have killed maybe 20 of the correct bears, have gotten a single Plauged Maw. This is RNG behind RNG. When I finally get what I need I'm stuck behind RNG again for my chest piece.

Is this intended? I've been working with another player to call each other to bears as they pop but this is getting old FAST!

I can grind out AD for GMOPS and buy the damn lures quicker than farming them. Sure maybe that's what I should do buy I decided to try and play the new content as it was meant to be played... I'm quickly losing my desire to be in Omu.

Comments

• Options

if it goes too long with bad rng try switching instances. it's hocus pocus magic but I've found that to be true at times that some instances seem to have better rng mojo than other instances.

I believe in your hocus pocus, I do it for refining :) But it's not working for me here :(
  • Options
    rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    What is scary, I used 5 lures yesterday for the bear and got 5 of the chest pieces. Now granted that was 5 paws from killing maybe 30-40 of the right bears.
  • Options
    feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    Yep. They should have made drops automatic from killing rare creatures from the get-go. But Cryptic seems to think that frustrating and annoying players with multiple levels of RNG is a feature, not the the worst thing about the game.
  • Options
    rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    Or at the very least make some way to be able to buy the armor items for campaign currency of some sort. That way it is a one or the other way to get them.
  • Options
    zanaspus1zanaspus1 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    Where does the contemporary sense of instant entitlement come from? I'm seriously curious. 20 years ago, if you wanted your Everquest epic weapon, you worked diligently for several months. Why does everything need to happen today?
  • Options
    malignantmind#3340 malignantmind Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    Make the armor drops the rare drops, but make the trophy pieces a 100% drop. God help you if you want to farm a piece from the 3 star hunt. Thats layers upon layers upon layers of RNG and it's infuriating. I get that they don't want it to be super easy to get the hunt gear, but the current system is ridiculous.
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    I actually don't mind that much. Hunting is something to do while you wait for queues after you've completed the campaign and are at a bit of a loose end.

Last mod I pretty much spent all my time mooching around solensthar or whatever it's called hunting while I waited for pvp and tong queues to pop. Eventually got the rex head from the KoS hunt just from grinding my own lures. Patience etc.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    zanaspus1 said:

Where does the contemporary sense of instant entitlement come from? I'm seriously curious. 20 years ago, if you wanted your Everquest epic weapon, you worked diligently for several months. Why does everything need to happen today?

Simple, If I had to grind for several months the next 1/2 mod would already be out and the next best thing on it's way...

If they leave the content alone and allow ppl to grind for months the game would die. Need a fair trade off.
  • Options
    c3rb3r3c3rb3r3 Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    It is already the case with wonder of gond packs, but I begin to think there are more things related to the - farm lot earn less - thing : with wonder of gond packs once you get the rarest items that you almost always get in the first 20 packs (excluding forgehammer) there is a very high diminishing drop rate. Tested it on thousands and you get on average 5 mount pack/coal after 1000 packs.

I had same results with hunts. Very easy to get first trophies, but after 25+ trophies, I had ZERO trophy drop after 50+ kills.
  • Options
    zanaspus1zanaspus1 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    reg1981 said:

zanaspus1 said:

Simple, If I had to grind for several months the next 1/2 mod would already be out and the next best thing on it's way...

If they leave the content alone and allow ppl to grind for months the game would die. Need a fair trade off.
    Sounds good in theory, but when I and several of my friends were doing our epics, 4 or 5 expansions had come and gone. Heck, the epic wasn't even BiS at that point. We had a sense of achievement which I suppose is gone today.

I do thank you though, you have made me realize once and for all that this game's community is not for me. Have fun!
  • Options
    feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    zanaspus1 said:

I dunno. Maybe Everquest was a fun kind of game without huge balance and playability issues or fewer than 120 campaign currencies so people enjoyed the experience even without the reward.
  • Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    When the special hunt for the T1 trophy shows up it should always drop the trophy, it is bad enough waiting for them to show up. I hate chult for this as it is a big waste of time.

• Options
    marv700#9957 marv700 Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    zanaspus1 said:

In several months this gear will be outdated, what would be the purpose in farming several months?
  • Options
    time2011time2011 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    the rng might suck i had those moments but, it is called hunting, not tag your it and its over. if its boring do it with friends, have music on to make it more dramatic. if after an hour no goodies, do something else and come back to it later, you don't have to spend endless hours hunting if you don't want to. could trade with a friend who has copies of the rewards u want in exchange for something they need.
  • Options
    time2011 said:

the rng might suck i had those moments but, it is called hunting, not tag your it and its over. if its boring do it with friends, have music on to make it more dramatic. if after an hour no goodies, do something else and come back to it later, you don't have to spend endless hours hunting if you don't want to. could trade with a friend who has copies of the rewards u want in exchange for something they need.

Unfortunately you do need to spend endless hours. Your either in or your out. No purpose in doing 1 hour of hunting. You need tons and tons of lures if you have any hope of getting what you need and getting the trophies for the next tier lures.
  • Options

zanaspus1 said:

But was Everquest based on a bunch of random chances to upgrade that gear? I don't think people mind grinding for a long time with forward progress to get that good weapon. The way these hunts are set up, there is no forward progress. Just a bunch of random chances for trinket drops where if you do manage to get one after several hours of farming then use it to get a lure, then use the lure and then nothing drops from that hunt, then it is backwards progress and you're back to square one. There is no forward progress with the way these hunts are designed. Just a bunch of random chance luckiness and people in chat trying to rip people off of lures, join their groups for a chance to steal their drops etc. It really is a terrible setup and I won't be playing anymore of this game until they move away from the hunt stuff in future mods.
    reg1981 said:

I've been farming bears now for over 2 hours, have killed maybe 20 of the correct bears, have gotten a single Plauged Maw. This is RNG behind RNG. When I finally get what I need I'm stuck behind RNG again for my chest piece.

Is this intended? I've been working with another player to call each other to bears as they pop but this is getting old FAST!

I can grind out AD for GMOPS and buy the damn lures quicker than farming them. Sure maybe that's what I should do buy I decided to try and play the new content as it was meant to be played... I'm quickly losing my desire to be in Omu.

Did you not learn your lesson from Chult? This was not going to be any different. Don't waste your time doing hunts and farming trinkets.
    This I agree with. Even if the drop rate for trophies were 50% it would still be hard enough since it's not like the hunt targets are up all the time either. I think the current drop rate is under 5%, not worth anyone's time.
  • Options
    sgaddis13#3703 sgaddis13 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    I actually had this same conversation on the phone this morning on the way to work. My "speaking partner" was saying all this same stuff. He is worn out, annoyed, ticked, and frustrated by the hunts. You spend six forevers running to get components that won't stack, and we are on Xbox, so they still have to be mailed. Then you run back 16000 miles to make the lure, then run 12895 miles to use the lure, and you get...... not what you wanted. So you start all over again.

I (while giggling) told him that this is why the devs said they wanted hunts to be social. You team up with people who have pieces and make lures together, etc, etc, and he yelled "And expect them to not out right take what drops??? I don't think so!!!!" So yeah. This is an issue.

This game is like a pair of shoes. One size does not fit all, so not everyone would agree with this opinion, but there are some who would like to throw the shoes at the monitor/TV and be done with it.
  • Options
    mullymoomoo#7130 mullymoomoo Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    If you're worried about random people joining you hunt group and then ripping you off for the loot drops then either just do hunts in a group of friends or guildies you trust or set the group loot settings to leader chooses and make sure you're the leader or you trust the leader.

As for the drop rate, I have no problem overall. You don't have to do hunts, it's optional. The RNG is annoying. I killed dozens of hunt creatures and got nothing then got 3 from 3.

If your determined to do it then do it in batches between other stuff to avoid burnout or buy the lures for gmops like an earlier poster suggested. Run some random queues and you can have the gmops to buy lures as quick if not quicker than farming the creatures.