test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is there a possibility of having a class change token available as a service in the ZEN Market?

hawkblaze1954#5209 hawkblaze1954 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
edited March 2018 in PvE Discussion
I guess that this has been mentioned before but i couldn't find anything recently.
I.E A player has a Scourge Warlock and would like to change class to an Oathbound Paladin. But this is not possible and you have to create a new character as a level 1 Oathbound Paladin.
If there was a token in the ZEN Market this would be a significant QOL. If this was implemented I would assume that any class based weapons/armour/items would be unequipped and unusable (which is understandable, preferably with a fore warning upon using the token).

TL;DR Please make a class change token as a service so I can use one of my alts for when the new class becomes available instead of starting a new character at level 1.

P.S for those who may state that these low levels are to learn the class systems/mechanics/powers, completing the campaigns from Elemental Evil until Chult should be plenty of exposure (heavens forbid random dungeons/skirmishes if you're feeling adventurous).

Edit: I mentioned the bard class by accident but meant the druid.
Post edited by hawkblaze1954#5209 on

Comments

• Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User
    Buy a new character slot or delete an existing.

Nothing has been said about any new character class. Class balancing isn't yet done.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    heraldfayez#8520 heraldfayez Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    i don't want this kind of token to be implemented personally
    that way people will start dropping classes in favor of the meta with a constant reloop each mod no thank you if you want to have a charch of another class restart that charchter from 0
    we aleready have enough inefficient players who don't know how to play classes properly and this will only serve to increase this problem of not being able to use public queu effectively
  • Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    I like this idea. It is another revenue stream for Cryptic. I could see many players using this token to swap a level 70 that was their man over to another class, especially if Cryptic releases a new class.

As noted above, your gear that is class specific won't be equippable but as noted, it should be stated with the token and maybe even as you do it, it shows which items are impacted.

I would say around 1,000 - 2,500 zen for this item. I may buy one down the road.
  • Options
    karvarekarvare Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    Well, you can buy a character slot, and buy level 70. So, yeah it can already be done.
  • Options
    karvare said:

Well, you can buy a character slot, and buy level 70. So, yeah it can already be done.

I have a character at 70 with all boons but I'm tired of said character. This character can make the teak weapons for all classes and this character is equipped with all chult hunt gear. I'm about ready to delete this character because I do nothing more than using him for refining RAD. I want to use this character and would gladly pay up to $20 to change the class on the character as I already bought this character spot, purchased him as a level 70 character and bought the $100 boon package as well.

For now I will simply use this character for refining RAD but if the devs create a class change token, they will get additional money off me, if not, I simply won't spend any more on this character.

I know a few people who have a character that fall into the exact same category as mine. Some of these characters were mains at one point and now they want to play as another class but do not want to invest to much time or money into another character.

Your thoughts on this to get my character to the same place he is now will cost me more than a $150. If they released a class respect token it could be a $20 or so for that purchase. I am not sinking $150+ into another character. I will spend around $20 though.

It is not my loss here, it is cryptic loss in possible revenue.
  • Options
    karvarekarvare Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    Well, yes I can understand how you would like to be able to change, and with the way they change classes with buffs/nerfs is not a bad idea. However, as you stated it would generate more revenue for them to go as is; and as was pointed out above would lead to complaints from others about how they have to play with the flavor of the month crowd.

Again as a person who has 1 of each class I see your point, but see the likelihood of it happening low. Things change tho, so I wish you well with it.
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    Class change load outs ... mmm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    At one point a Dev commented that it wasn't something they were considering but wasn't going to rule it out. I would say the prospects are slim.

There aren't any real issues with adding one, given that you can buy your way to level 70 and completion of most campaigns. Dungeon unlocks are account wide etc... You can throw cash at the game and get everything for a new character except achievements and professions.

But realistically, professions generally don't need to be unlocked in every character so it isnt a big drawback for even the people who bother with them. Making more characters pays for itself and it would likely be more cost efficient to start the new character, buy out the campaigns you want to avoid and use your old characters for invoke, refining and storage.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    transzendenztranszendenz Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    I strongly disagree with this proposal. In my opinion there are already too many players taking the easiest path to get a "Meta" character without really understanding it. Of course it might be convenient at first sight but on the other hand a lot of people would get negative feedback and be more frustrated by this than they would be if they tried to make their initial class work/created a character from scratch. This might sound harsh but sugarcoating it would not really help I guess.
  • Options
    hawkblaze1954#5209 hawkblaze1954 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    In my specific example, the introduction of loadouts has made a lot of my characters into alt mules. If and when a new class comes out I will have to buy a new character slot but I would rather convert one of my numerous alt mules.

Edit: I will never delete an alt mule, they are too useful. Even if i now have 5 of them :p
  • Options
    ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User

I strongly disagree with this proposal. In my opinion there are already too many players taking the easiest path to get a "Meta" character without really understanding it. Of course it might be convenient at first sight but on the other hand a lot of people would get negative feedback and be more frustrated by this than they would be if they tried to make their initial class work/created a character from scratch. This might sound harsh but sugarcoating it would not really help I guess.

This argument is grounded on elitism and is just weak. Neither buying your way to 70 or playing through to 70 are an indicator as to whether a person will learn a class. Changing race is no different. If a person wants to learn a class they'll put in the time. Starting a fresh character won't change a players mindset.

I've played games where you can swap classes at any point. It was nice to have the option of time to play around with a class and then select which class to focus on. Options are never bad. The only thing negative I saw in your entire post was that people are too quick to hand out negative feedback because they're being inconvenienced by a subpar player.
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    I'm not 100% opposed to the idea, but I think I would rather see an item or service that could be used to convert certain character-bound items (e.g. mounts, companions, perhaps equipment) to "bind to account->bind on equip to character" status so that they could be redistributed once.

Making it a zen-purchased service would make financial sense, gate it somewhat to avoid excessive casual swapping of bound items and significant devaluing of said items, and give players who truly want to "start over" with a different alt an option to salvage some of the investment they've already made.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    karvare said:

Well, yes I can understand how you would like to be able to change, and with the way they change classes with buffs/nerfs is not a bad idea. However, as you stated it would generate more revenue for them to go as is; and as was pointed out above would lead to complaints from others about how they have to play with the flavor of the month crowd.

Again as a person who has 1 of each class I see your point, but see the likelihood of it happening low. Things change tho, so I wish you well with it.

I played another game where some players swapped their class weekly because they wanted to try another class at end game content. So how is that revenue loss? These players did not want to pay more up front to get another to the same level as their only character, to much money or time. $10-20 is easier to swallow to test out at end game another class vs. dropping hundreds of dollars or hours into the other class. Especially if the main has more than one legendary mount.
  • Options
    sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    I was just thinking about this after my race reroll the other day, you can change gender and race, appearance, religion...but not class, what is the big deal letting us change class? It can't be a revenue thing as you could just make the token cost the same as a new level 70 with boons....it must be more of a how to actually program that feature, it's not there now and there are other ways to go about it. new slot etc...

I am not sure I would do it at this point as I already went and made the classes I want to play, but there are those days...if that button was available I would have traded in my main for something else..
    TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies
  • Options
    etelgrin said:

I like this idea. It is another revenue stream for Cryptic. I could see many players using this token to swap a level 70 that was their man over to another class, especially if Cryptic releases a new class..

Sorry to be telling you this however using this logic, you are generating loss rather than revenue, if you could change a class for 2k zen who would be buying an all expensive campaign completion tokens, ad/zen spent on legendary mount, character slots, even shared bank or personal bank slots and other gear etc... when you could have it on 1 character.
    Just because something there doesn't mean it will be used. Some players enjoy having more than one character and others enjoy playing one character but are willing to spend zen to try out another classes on that one character.

The devs here could benefit by adding a class respect token for the players that only play one class but have an interest in trying out another class and pick up revenue on those of us who like having alts but found out we dislike one of our classes that we rather have as another class.

The devs will win out with this; think of all the CW out there wishing they could switch to a GWF. Than if the devs adjust GWF downward and buff CW, bam they win again. I have seen this type of thing in other games and it can be quite profitable if you chase the carrot to be top DPS. Those of us who have many characters can sit tight on our character that we already invested $$ into or we can tweak them by joining the chase.

Who loses now, oh yeah NW, because a few players rather quit than invested hundred if not thousands of hours or money into another character vs. paying $20 to swap over to another class. I rather keep my player base and give them more options and that is what a class respect token will provide, more options.

• Options
    cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    There is a "Buy a level 70 character" token in the store. Buy one of those if/when a new class comes out. Easy.
  • Options
    omegarealities#7219 omegarealities Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    What about feats, powers, weapons and armor? None are transferable between toons. Or are you expecting that to be part of the deal?

Add to that, class specific quests.
  • Options
    With mod 14 changes, I highly recommend this service being added. This would allow us to change class and play support roles with our main given that some players like myself will quit playing our alts that are tanks or DCs.
  • Options
    cdnbison said:

There is a "Buy a level 70 character" token in the store. Buy one of those if/when a new class comes out. Easy.

If I did that I would also have to buy...all companions, mounts, insignia, etc...

Having the ability to simply swap class is the better option and easier if the player has the resources to buy a weapon/armor for the new class. Which will still be cheaper than the other option.