test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How to make the game challenging again and fix meta? Reduce too high healing.

dolreydolrey Member Posts: 741 Arc User
edited February 2018 in Player Feedback (PC)
Hello :) Previously I've been writing threads with concrete suggestions about skills or mechanics of some classes. But here I would like to write my opinion about one problem which hid deep in game mechanics and which make game process less intresting and challenging.

The name of this problem is: too high healing.

Now every character with good equipment in PvE can heal himself to full health in few seconds (in PvP it just takes a bit more time). Proof of this is the fact that in PvP 50% of healing reduction ist'n enough and developers increased it's value to 75%.

Let's figure out why this helpful mechanics can create troubles? Really from the first view high healing is cool because it make your character stronger and help you to complete game content. But from the other hand it greatly change (how to say it well..) parameters of that content.

It's obvious that in order to give challenge for players whose characters have very high self healing developers need to add to game more and more "burst" damage because sustained damage isn't effective against high healing. And actually, if we will take a look at the top dungeons then we will see that "burst" damage is everywhere. There is need to say that oneshots aren't so interesting and it isn't the right challenge that we would like to see. It is also applicable and to PvP because all 3 classes best for PvP now have hight "burst" damage (HR, TR and GF).

Thank to the predominance of "burst" damage (caused by high healing) there are some problems:

1) Tanks can't enjoy their main role because after EVERY mistake they become bursted in few seconds (it's not that what tank should be).
2) Healers don't heal because: a) healing isn't effective against burst damage; b) players already have too high regeneration (healer focused on damage buffs isn't that what healer should be).
3) It also in a varying degree effects and on dd classes because developers should give to them instruments which are effective in era of high passive healing and "burst" damage.

To decide these problems I would like to ask to reduce all healing in the game and also reduce influence of "burst" damage. It might be realised as healing suppression for all PvE or for epic dungeons and encounters only (-Lol what?! -Yes, yes!)

Let's see how this suggestion can help to decide previously described problems:
1) After this change tank will much less often see oneshots. BUT due to the limited healing per period of time tank still will be defeated if he will make some number of mistakes per that period of time (healer just will not be able to heal him enough). This is exactly that type of "challenge" that we would like to see.
2) Main role of healer will be really needed because team will no longer be able to have enough self healing. I think there are a lot of users who decided to play DC or paladin because they like to heal but now they are forced to use only damage buffs and this change will make game more intresting for them.
3) I think this change can help for not so tanky dd classes to don't die in PvP in few seconds from high incoming burst damage. It will make battles more intresting and longer (BUT NOT ENDLESS because healing will be reduced too).

So, thank you for your attention and sorry for my english :) I hope this thread can help to developers to make the game more interesting :)

====
I think that this picture makes it clear why too high selfhealing is the root of many problems.

Post edited by dolrey on

Comments

• strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    I don't think you'll see much interest in this topic (but I could be wrong) yet suspect most are fine with how things are; regeneration already took a massive NERF several MODS ago.

Annointed Champion's or Healers as you call them took a major reduction to Annointed Army or how often it could be used; as for Devine Oracle's there are not or never were designed to be great healers - they can heal depending on feat path - but most don't invest heavily in it.

Now I realize many examples above state PvP but limitations there are often put in place as BiS or most of the Highest Item Level Players tend to gravitate there. As a result it's often mid level players against a team of premade at the highest of gear score's which is no fun either why Domination Solo Queue were first introduced as an event before going live full time.

Now I'm not sure if your TANK as you put it is a Paladin or Guardian but both can be quite effective at managing Burst Damage if they play their class correctly.

▪ Paladin's using Binding Oath for example, with Smite to reduce damage or Circle of Power, then possibly combined with Templar's Wrath. Defense and getting that increased is key for Paladin's there biggest challenge is difficulty in take down a mini boss / boss without a lot of support from DPS even when they can take well.

▪ Now a Guardian for example depending on feat choices / powers can also be an effective TANK; more focus there should be on deflect, but defense or armor class buffs are important. They should however regularly rely on their at-wil attack with shield raised to further increase deflect chance paired with complimentary encounter powers. Guardian's however can do considerable damage that makes a Paladin jealous.
    Post edited by strathkin on
  • ragequittingdc#8599 ragequittingdc Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    I don't see it myself. self healing is a thing, but only on sw does it ever seem so great that they don't need me to keep much of an eye on them or premades with high skill players that respect the mechanics of the fights, wether they be boss or trash. depending on the group and fight, I do or do not have bastion slotted, and I run virtuous cap on my AC loadout.
    im actually the gwf carry
    edited February 2018
    > @dolrey said:
    > I don't see it myself. self healing is a thing, but only on sw does it ever seem so great that they don't need me to keep much of an eye on them or premades with high skill players that respect the mechanics of the fights, wether they be boss or trash.
    >
    > If your character have relatively low selfhealing I make a conclusion that your character isn't well geared. Because mostly well geared characters have high healing.
    >
    > This means that high healing caused from different top equipment/stats/boons etc. Low or mid geared characters haven't these equipment/stats/boons etc.
    >
    > So if nerf for selfhealing really will come it possibly will contain nerfs to these items and low or mid geared character will not be affected by it (just because they haven't these items).

I'm running t9g every time I hop on with 16-17k dps and I have yet to see one with self healing so good that they can out last stench from hulks without me. infact they target and melt them right away because its so common for the group to wipe on that second pull at skeleton keys without respecting the content.
    Post edited by ragequittingdc#8599 on
    edited February 2018
    actually I would like to correct myself. I do see it in fbi during the troll phase especially or if one of the dps manages to get a single giant attacking them. also in mspc during the final trash pack before nostura.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    So we should return to the days where everyone needed to party with a DC just to do their daily stuff.

Nope. Don't see it happening.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • jizzu#6891 jizzu Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    Seems to me you are talking about players that are Bis. what about those below that remain incredibly squishy as they struggle through nerfed drops that limit gear acquirement, levelling etc.
    Similarly all those struggling to level enchants to acquire an amount of life steal that stops them getting creamed in ED's etc. Some of us have families that require money to feed, not all have money to buy their way to Bis and some (believe it or not) want the challenge of grinding to Bis. What you propose would prove a tipping point for all those currently struggling and community would shrink further.
    But why should Bis players care, they don't need to run dungeons, have prolly acquired all boons in harder zones..

All about the me as usual....bah....whinemore!
  • spidey#3367 spidey Member Posts: 400 Arc User
    I tested my "selfheal" in FBI Yesterday....didnt survive one single group on the way to b1...
    So where excactly is self heal too high again?
    dolrey said:

Give me few days and I'll send you here video where my GF with not so high il can survive unlimited time receiving damage from walls of ice at the last boss in FBI.

Bosses are a joke in FBI...comparing to trash. So sry...your point proofs not really that healing is too high..
    dolrey said:

Well.. You right now called bosses in one of the hardest dungeons in this game "joke" and "trash".

I said bosses are a joke comparing to the trash...i hate those bears..
    dolrey said:

Do not think I'm boasting or something like that but what if I'll tell you that my character can restore about 150k hp per every 1-2 seconds? And it isn't the limit of my regeneration.
    Yes, not all characters have extremely high regeneration. But it is normal for well equipped character to restore several tens of thousands of hp per second. It doesn't mean that it is trivial to solo FBI or something like this but it still causes consequences that I tried to describe at that picture.

Question about this tens of thousands hp per secound:
    Regeneration works in combat?

• dafrca#4810 dafrca Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    dolrey; I think once again we are looking at something through the lens of BiS and that should never be the point of view to deside if a mechanic needs to be nerfed. You posted an idea and offered your evaluation but I still do not agree it is the issue for the mid ranged and lower toons.
    edited February 2018
    dolrey said:

dolrey said:

Well.. You right now called bosses in one of the hardest dungeons in this game "joke" and "trash".

I said bosses are a joke comparing to the trash...i hate those bears..
    dolrey said:

Do not think I'm boasting or something like that but what if I'll tell you that my character can restore about 150k hp per every 1-2 seconds? And it isn't the limit of my regeneration.
    Yes, not all characters have extremely high regeneration. But it is normal for well equipped character to restore several tens of thousands of hp per second. It doesn't mean that it is trivial to solo FBI or something like this but it still causes consequences that I tried to describe at that picture.

Question about this tens of thousands hp per secound:
    Regeneration works in combat?
    dolrey said:

Well equipped characters usually have relatively high vampirism.

Not usual..
    dolrey said:

It helps to heal yourself very well.

Yes. But it diesnt answer my question about regeneration in combat.
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited February 2018

Self-healing is only one part of the problem. The solution to rebalance this game and make it more challenging requires a comprehensive approach. Plus I think the problem is the burst damage, not the healing as healing provides very little in the way of actual heals and it doesn't heal one shots.
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
    dolrey said:

Sorry looks like I chose wrong synonym. Of course exactly regeneration works only when out of combat. In that post I meant healing from all sources.

Sure about it?
    dolrey said:

Give me few days and I'll send you here video where my GF with not so high il can survive unlimited time receiving damage from walls of ice at the last boss in FBI.

So you didnt mean you can survive because your selfheal is to high. You can survive because you getting to much heal from all soruces? Am i right?
  • hawkeyelhawkeyel Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    If you really need for the game to be more difficult just run more Solo Que Epic Random's. I am very sure some would very much welcome you. I have seen more than a few of those and some you can be sure, they was more like, an Epic train wreck to be even more to the point. The numbers they set to entry for some of these things is beyond out of touch. Things are either super easy or crazy hard with nothing in between. So good luck with this nerf topic from what I have seen the last thing alot of people need is yet another nerf.
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    Adding healing suppression to queued dungeons and skirmishes ONLY could be alright and allow them to stop designing dungeons around cheap one-shots. Adding healing suppression to the rest of PvE? Over mine and everyone else's dead bodies. If content specifically built for groups requires a healer, that's fine, but all other content needs to stay solo-able, and self-healing is how that is done.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    dolrey said:

strathkin said:

Now I'm not sure if your TANK as you put it is a Paladin or Guardian but both can be quite effective at managing Burst Damage if they play their class correctly.

▪ Paladin's using Binding Oath for example, with Smite to reduce damage or Circle of Power, then possibly combined with Templar's Wrath. Defense and getting that increased is key for Paladin's.

▪ Now a Guardian for example depending on feat choices / powers can also be an effective TANK; more focus on deflect, but defense or armor class buffs are important. They should however regularly rely on their at-wil attack with shield raised to further increase deflect chance paired with complimentary encounter powers. Guardian's however can do considerable damage that makes a Paladin jealous.

Yes, even with some broken or useless feats or mechanics tanky tanks are still fine now. But the question is: are tanky tanks needed now? Of course no.
    Well I certainly wouldn't disagree with you if your close to BiS (16k-17.5k) and running CN, ETOS, EGWD or even Epic Demogorgon. But you need to consider the full range of players too and if they nerf Healing / Regeneration as you suggest there only going to penalize a lot more cutting off the knees of those who are tomorrow's players before they can grow stronger. Realize in Chult many classes still find it a great challenge to even do Chult unless at least 13-14k; as for Omu many won't even want to attempt it till likely much closer to 15k or above. That's just the campaign area not the new Trial / Dungeon either. Many still find a great deal of challenge doing TONG - let alone the new more challenging Trial/Dungeon coming with Omu.

While I see your point: Low level characters 7-14k still heavily rely on healing or regeneration (out of combat benefit) both have already been given sizeable NERFS to the BUFF or specific abilities Like Annointed Army and how often it can be used. Yet still many players even as high as 13-15k still rely on a great tank / healer in many higher end dungeons or Trials like FBI / Spellplague (Master) / Assault of Swardborg (Master) let alone TONG. Now with Omu it will only introduce an even harder Campaign than existed in Chult and an even even harder Trial / Dungeon than TONG.

In future there moving away from 13 or 13b two updates a year and instead have 3 yearly updates.

▪ From all I've heard 1/3rd of the 3 yearly updates will push difficult higher with Campaigns/Trial/Dungeons.
    ▪ Another 1/3 expand Mid Level campaigns with fixes to broken mechanics, feats, or improve Gear/Mounts/Companions.
    ▪ The last is likely more focused on Guilds / Alliance / Mastercraft activities so no one area is ignored.

Now if your playing exclusively with BiS players in excess of 16-17.5k clearly regardless how their built - likely aren't going to be as 'dependant upon' a Tank or Healer as much...

But perhaps then only thing your failing to realize is if your approaching the 16k threshold: focus instead on growing your own guild or if that's of no interest try to instead to help those already in your alliances weaker guilds grow or finish content they find a lot more difficult than you will at your Gear Score. Junior to mid level players up to 15k depending on the difficulty of the Dungeon / Trial are still going to be more appreciative of your amazing TANK / Healing abilities just as they will be with those who aid BUFF/DEBUFF them regardless of what Class / Paragon you might be. o:)
    Post edited by strathkin on
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Hmm.

Endgame boss monsters who one shot your GF who has 150,000 hit points with like 0.5 seconds notice. BAM. Dead before you can react. That isnt fun.

Reduce the one shot inst kills and replace them with damage over time so that the HEALER can heal you. That makes much more sense does it not?
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    dolrey said:

> @callumf#9018 said:

> Hmm.

>

> Endgame boss monsters who one shot your GF who has 150,000 hit points with like 0.5 seconds notice. BAM. Dead before you can react. That isnt fun.

>

> Reduce the one shot inst kills and replace them with damage over time so that the HEALER can heal you. That makes much more sense does it not?

If you think that PvE and class roles aren't broken now then I should send here some videos with dungeons from for example Albion Online. There every class play its role.

Here (exactly at that picture) I just tried to explain that problem of broken class mechanics is much deeper than it looks like.

Oh I do agree class balance is broken - I think what I was proposing was a simple solution to the problem of end game boss monsters :)