test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CW changes in mod 13:

Comments

• hastati96hastati96 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    eldritchx said:

Does Storm Spell use the crit severity from the dread enchant when proced off an encounter?

Yes, it does.
    hastati96 said:

Added a comparison for weapon enchantments in mod 13 to my original post.

thanks sharp, you are our hero as always <3
    So lets say I play with CoI (ability coefficient 1.8), Terrain (3.11), Steal Time (2.57) and Disintegrate (4.34) then Dread is BIS?</p>
    Yes, you got the idea. However, this value will vary depending on critical severity, combat advantage bonus, etc. I went with non extreme values in my example (ie, many CWs will be able to achieve these values and only those who are maximizing particular stats will exceed them by a significant margin) however, if you would like to do calculations with more extreme values the formulae are there, it is just a case of substitution.
    That makes Dread than BiS for CW, well for SS DPS.
    Keep in mind that Boons can easily give you 9-12% crit severity, and a comically cheap Wild Storm Elixir adds 10% more, bringing you close to +100% already. If you make the effort to drink a major (or better) flask of potency and Squash Soup, that adds another 12.5%.

Base CA Damage bonus is 15%, and if you chose 13 Cha at the start, make it your other level up stat for another 7 points, have campfire bonus, that's another 11% from Cha. The CA Damage bonus rating easily adds another 8% for a total of 34%, multiplied by Drow Ambush Tactics to 37.4%.

So without even accounting for a potential 2 more Cha from your belt or race Cha bonus, companion CAD bonuses, or maybe 5% from Combatant's Manuever, you're already close to 250% Crit Severity + CAD, the break point where Fey is always better. None of the above things are actually rare or expensive for any CW that's correctly specced.

Note to thefabricant: Is Focused Wizardry a factor in the calculations, particularly wrt the 3 procs, and would it still be meta?

@mebengalsfan#9264

"However, if your character has high values for either of those stats, Feytouched will always win." - quoting sharp's paper

If I understood it correctly then Dread is BIS if you have low crit severity and CA damage so basically if your character isn't well geared. The average CW can easily reach 100%+ crit severity and ~50 CA damage as @eldritchx pointed out, which would make Fey BIS.

I did some testings by myself on preview. On single target fights (without AoC and no shatter strike) Fey and Dread are equal. If you run with a pally in your group Fey becomes superior, same if you start using shatter strike. In conclusion I will use Fey for boss fights in M13. For trash I am not sure yet but I think it will be Fey as well.
    Nero - Palacetamol - Essence of Aggression
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User

eldritchx said:

Does Storm Spell use the crit severity from the dread enchant when proced off an encounter?

Yes, it does.
    hastati96 said:

Added a comparison for weapon enchantments in mod 13 to my original post.

thanks sharp, you are our hero as always <3
    So lets say I play with CoI (ability coefficient 1.8), Terrain (3.11), Steal Time (2.57) and Disintegrate (4.34) then Dread is BIS?</p>
    Yes, you got the idea. However, this value will vary depending on critical severity, combat advantage bonus, etc. I went with non extreme values in my example (ie, many CWs will be able to achieve these values and only those who are maximizing particular stats will exceed them by a significant margin) however, if you would like to do calculations with more extreme values the formulae are there, it is just a case of substitution.
    That makes Dread than BiS for CW, well for SS DPS.
    Keep in mind that Boons can easily give you 9-12% crit severity, and a comically cheap Wild Storm Elixir adds 10% more, bringing you close to +100% already. If you make the effort to drink a major (or better) flask of potency and Squash Soup, that adds another 12.5%.

Base CA Damage bonus is 15%, and if you chose 13 Cha at the start, make it your other level up stat for another 7 points, have campfire bonus, that's another 11% from Cha. The CA Damage bonus rating easily adds another 8% for a total of 34%, multiplied by Drow Ambush Tactics to 37.4%.

So without even accounting for a potential 2 more Cha from your belt or race Cha bonus, companion CAD bonuses, or maybe 5% from Combatant's Manuever, you're already close to 250% Crit Severity + CAD, the break point where Fey is always better. None of the above things are actually rare or expensive for any CW that's correctly specced.

Note to thefabricant: Is Focused Wizardry a factor in the calculations, particularly wrt the 3 procs, and would it still be meta?

Focused Wizardry is not accounted for since it doesn't modify the end result. If a skill benefits from Focused Wizardry then the procs also benefit from it and the net result is that there is no need to account for it when comparing weapon enchantments.
    Some procs like lighning arc and smolder from critical conflagration are single target no matter if they coming from aoe( maybe and other procs).
  • c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    Personally I'm extremely happy that the Storm Spell feature can critically strike once again, allowing the Control Wizards not to pursue buff/debuff options nor people telling me "why don't you spec into mof, it's faster like that". I don't care to play as a MoF, it's not my style and I want to play the game according to my merits rather than the merits of the meta builds. If I wanted to save the time I wouldn't be playing this game to begin with.

Furthermore, this is directly connected to the issue which emerged with the Lostmauth set bonus and this is a fix for that. A long, overdue fix. This is simply returning the things back to their places again.

For improving the overall CW damage by "40%" or so, the only solution is to make the weapons which are on-par to all the melee classes, but that wouldn't be fair due to the ranged attacks of the CW's.

CW is in a extremely good position currently and I'm personally grateful to the developers for even taking into the account making the changes after years of stagnation on the class. Let's take a moment to be grateful for that.

As for the Shatter Strike, I'm also fine with those changes, making the Oppressor paragon a bit better for those who like to play PvP. I personally don't.

I have friends who play Oppressor paragon since forever and I'm more than happy to see them being happy about the changes.

Perhaps Shatter Strike might get nerfed along the line, perhaps Assailant gets buffed. The point is, all the changes are more than welcome since we've been asking for them since MOD6.

And this is why MOD13 rules.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • bettyboooopbettyboooop Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I am running Missle & Chilling Cloud with CoI, IT, Sudden Storm and Steal Time, should I be using Dread?
    Thanks
  • boomboom#9909 boomboom Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Hi Sharp and Hi all, thank you for great job
    i have a question, I understand that the best enchantments are dread and fey, so who has the lightning must change in mod 13? and the vorpal is useful?

another question, now i use conduit in tab, icy terrain, sudden storm and steel time, I'll have to change them in new mod?

thank for help
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User

I am running Missle & Chilling Cloud with CoI, IT, Sudden Storm and Steal Time, should I be using Dread?

Thanks

If you are planning to optimize your CW, Feytouched.

i have a question, I understand that the best enchantments are dread and fey, so who has the lightning must change in mod 13? and the vorpal is useful?

another question, now i use conduit in tab, icy terrain, sudden storm and steel time, I'll have to change them in new mod?

thank for help

AoE rotations will remain more or less the same, single target rotations will change a little.
  • boomboom#9909 boomboom Member Posts: 3 Arc User

thank for help

AoE rotations will remain more or less the same, single target rotations will change a little.

thx, but in new mod with changes to the capstone of the oppressor, it would be better to create a new build for single target? the difference between thaum and oppress for the bosses will be so obvious?

thank for help

thx, but in new mod with changes to the capstone of the oppressor, it would be better to create a new build for single target? the difference between thaum and oppress for the bosses will be so obvious?

If you build into it, yes it will be a big difference.
  • gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Hi @thefabricant,

In my opinion, Oppressor has better single target than thaum assuming you stack recovery and invest in elemental reinforcement rather than taking spell twisting.

How much recovery you think it will be required to have a smooth single target rotation as an oppressor without spell twisting.
    “He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

Hi @thefabricant,

In my opinion, Oppressor has better single target than thaum assuming you stack recovery and invest in elemental reinforcement rather than taking spell twisting.

How much recovery you think it will be required to have a smooth single target rotation as an oppressor without spell twisting.
    @gildriador I cannot give you an answer yet as I am still trying out various different single target rotations and depending what I end up using, will determine how much recovery I would advise stacking.

Hi @thefabricant,

125% recharge speed give me sudden storm 6.1 sec disintegrate 3.5 sec coi 5.7 sec chill strike 6.6 sec roe 7.9 sec.
    icy rays 8,8 sec. ( note 125% recharge speed for int charisma spec is around 20k recovery) .
    Remember also the more recovery you add it affects and the ap gain and control wizard has strong dailies like ice knife and opressive.
    Artificiers persuation buff will make you for 15 seconds to completely forget the spell twisting recovery added to your already pretty decent recovery( i remind is ap gain not only recharge speed) .

Have in mind give up spelltwisting and adding recovery will make you drop power ( we have to live with that if you want play dps you cant drop critical ). Which means we will be weaker if we dont have power share but more spell spam from recovery can cover in some degree the power loss.

I am already playing recovery-renegade damage dealer build( and as aoe and as single ) with more power because that tree give 2 more options for a total of 15% critical chance ( allegiance-chilling advantage or if you are ok with critical you can go only with the allegiance and get the masterfull arcane theft ( making ray and steal time to deal very good damage).

• gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Thank you for your quick answers,
    anyway I agree it's hard to evaluate the best recovery value because it depends of the powers choice and how much CD reduction you got from other player (DC with hastening light, etc..) and probably our own CW play style. I was just curious to know if you haved a recovery value in mind to compensate for the lost of the feat spell twisting.
    “He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

anyway I agree it's hard to evaluate the best recovery value because it depends of the powers choice and how much CD reduction you got from other player (DC with hastening light, etc..) and probably our own CW play style. I was just curious to know if you haved a recovery value in mind to compensate for the lost of the feat spell twisting.

The more recovery you add the less seconds from spell twisting reduction.
    take in account and the time takes to use an att will to consume stack.

• lukejones77lukejones77 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 282 Arc User
    So, if I understand this thread correctly, it's about CWs hoping for end-game DPS validation, somewhat focused on boss/single target?

We:
    - Were right at the back of the queue with SWs for a DPS role for module 12.
    - Are just about down to a single viable weapon enchant with module 13.
    - Are almost certainly going to be worse off with the trade of entity procs for spellStorm crits.
    - Are hoping to achieve single target DPS by mainlining the Control tree

All that, but the burning issue is: Will we get DPS validation via the Control tree?

The "design" behind this class....

The "design" behind this class....

Is the best currently you may hope for.

Also, it is the state of the game as the developer once wrote, they are not going to tinker around with small day-to-day changes and will stick to changing radically over long periods of time. This is evidenced previously with the changes which occur at a year's notice. This style of the fixing suits their views and more resources are spent on creating the new content.

The next change probably is going to be the nerf to the OP's Aura of Courage. That power is just way too powerful.

Whatever power goes out of the place and becomes kind of overused will see changes later on.

Other classes aren't in a happy position either, but that doesn't stop people from playing, right?

Control Wizard currently has all three paths VIABLE to play with and mess with the builds to your hearts pleasure.

The reason why certain weapon enchantments aren't viable for a class isn't the problem itself within the class but with the enchants themselves. Please, don't allow yourself to make a mistake on the distinction between those two very different factors of gameplay.

If something appears "too good to be true", it probably is. Unfortunately I do believe that Shatter Strike might find a nerf sooner or later, but at the same time the oppressor tree might see a rechange of spells and skills if developers ever take into the account the controlling options and perhaps, maybe, decide to reevaluate what position does the Control have in the game. This won't happen anytime soon, I'm afraid. It can well enough be an entire year with Shatter Strike meta, so prepare to see a lot of Icicles around :}

All in all, things are looking /just fine/ for the Control Wizard class with the slightest of changes. This is good - knowing how the past treated us, the wizards.
    True Neutral
  • tholan#1688 tholan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    kalina311 said:

all of these cw changes (spell storm procs critting etc ) are a damage buff to mods 13 pvp cws fey's and single target damage it what its about : D *smirk*
    totally different world totally different builds

now if we could only get assailing forced buffed again and it be piecing non deflect able again in pvp lol :P

Well, i totally agree for the SS critting, but, sigh, i've tested the oppressor in dominion ( on preview ofc ). Both CW, 1 vs 1 , just a small test for see how it's work in a pvp map. 24 total Proc of ShatterStike, effectivness 6.6% ( 30k pow and 17k Arp ) most of the hit have 0% effectiness ( ZERO damage ) and the max hit was 1.7k. Total 5.2k.

In a 1 vs 1 don't work well,you need to build up the cc immunity on your target first, then Shatter will proc. Maybe at start , on node 2, when you can get the buff from all other member can be good, but if you need to defend a node vs one or 2 enemy player, is basically useless.

Totally agree regarding the Assailing Force
    edited January 2018

kalina311 said:

all of these cw changes (spell storm procs critting etc ) are a damage buff to mods 13 pvp cws fey's and single target damage it what its about : D *smirk*
    totally different world totally different builds

now if we could only get assailing forced buffed again and it be piecing non deflect able again in pvp lol :P

Well, i totally agree for the SS critting, but, sigh, i've tested the oppressor in dominion ( on preview ofc ). Both CW, 1 vs 1 , just a small test for see how it's work in a pvp map. 24 total Proc of ShatterStike, effectivness 6.6% ( 30k pow and 17k Arp ) most of the hit have 0% effectiness ( ZERO damage ) and the max hit was 1.7k. Total 5.2k.

In a 1 vs 1 don't work well,you need to build up the cc immunity on your target first, then Shatter will proc. Maybe at start , on node 2, when you can get the buff from all other member can be good, but if you need to defend a node vs one or 2 enemy player, is basically useless.

Totally agree regarding the Assailing Force
    vs cw the test was with the enemy cw wearing shield ?
    gf has 750% weapon damage feat and it doesnt do " serious damage in pvp" a 66% of weapon damage is kinda normal.
  • d3cepti0n#1453 d3cepti0n Member Posts: 73 Arc User

[...]

Agreed, we need to take this under consideration aswell.
    Piece by piece.
  • tholan#1688 tholan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 204 Arc User

vs cw the test was with the enemy cw wearing shield ?
    gf has 750% weapon damage feat and it doesnt do " serious damage in pvp" a 66% of weapon damage is kinda normal.

Ofc, i'd like to test in a real pvp situation, i understand that with the shield, even with 1 charge, the damage will be reduced of 25%, but consider the 24 proc, most of them with 0 damage ,0 effectivness, even vs CW shield, zero is always zero.

True that the cw has a stong defensive build, but even with 25k of ARP ( tryed both, 17k and 25k ArP ), the damage provided by Shatter was uneffective.
    At last thx to chilling presence i hoped that the damage was higher, but 24 proc for a total of 5.2k seems a poor results compared to "a single target dps" feat, at last in dominion.

Was hyped from the results of Sharp in PvE, but is not the case for dominion.

• mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    kalina311 said:

I do not have a PC to check on my current enchantment. Could someone please test to see how viable a flaming enchantment is for a CW in mod 13 compared to 12b.

you mean a sell or not to sell to some other unsuspecting victim chart lol : D
    No..I would give it to another one of my characters, maybe my Combat HR.
  • originalkrendororiginalkrendor Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    What will be the BiS companion and runestone for Mod13?

What will be the BiS companion and runestone for Mod13?

The new tiger will be bis and bondings will remain bis.
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User

I like around 8-10K recovery; that typically has a nice balance for my DPS side with spell twisting. Without it, I would guess that a good spot to hit for recovery would be around 12-15K or so. I know my buff build I move over my companion gear with enchantments from my DC and that pushes my Buff CW recovery to around 16K and without spell twisting I noticed my encounters are almost as fast at that level of recovery when compared to my DPS build that has spell twisting.

On a side note, some of the gear from mod 13 offers a reduction in cool downs for encounters and dailies. I definitely will be picking up those items for my buff build and maybe even use it on my DPS build. An epic ring also provide damage increase after using a daily, something else I will try to obtain for my CW.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    For me, the change to Shatter Strike is welcome, as right now my ultra-CC CW hits somewhere between a dry noodle and one that is al dente. It does strike me as a huge bandaid, however. As it stands, no one wants CC builds in dungeons because they are useless when it comes to the boss fight. All bosses are immune to CC to prevent the content from becoming trivialized.

However, the way I see it, that's only because of how CC works: it's largely all-or nothing. Once Shatter Strike procs, anything it hits that is susceptible to CC stops dead. I can see why the devs would want to prevent this happening to bosses, but a simple solution would be to have Shatter Strike provide a simple boost to control strength when used against bosses, and allow bosses to be susceptible to being *slowed* but never stopped. CC should allow players to increase the time between boss attacks and reduce their movement speed. That strikes me as a better compromise that maintains the CW's role as controller.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
    Control Wizard
    Storm Spell: Damage from this effect has been reduced by about 30%.
    Smolder and Rimefire Smolder damage has been increased by about 50%.

This is said in the newest M13 patchnotes. There is the buff for MoF everyone wanted :/ bringing both paths closer together
  • modlesiemodlesie Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    hastati96 said:

Control Wizard
    Storm Spell: Damage from this effect has been reduced by about 30%.
    Smolder and Rimefire Smolder damage has been increased by about 50%.

This is said in the newest M13 patchnotes. There is the buff for MoF everyone wanted :/ bringing both paths closer together

What a joke GWFs/GFs/TR/s can kill bosses in seconds but they'll nerf cw as always. JOKE!
    The idea behind that specific change I think was modeled on the following logic:

1) Previously Storm Spell had a base damage of ~1.3.
    2) Post change, Storm Spell has a base damage of 0.9.
    3) Previously, Smoulder had a base damage of 0.375 per tick.
    4) Now, Smoulder has a base damage of 0.5625.

If you assume Storm Spell procs once every second, that is a base value of 0.9*1.3 = 1.17 per second.
    If you assume Smoulder procs once every second and that Swath of Destruction is slotted, it deals 0.5625*1.6= 0.9 per second.

This is the same base value (before the storm spell rank bonus is applied) but in addition, there is also a 20% party wide debuff and there is no randomness involved. I think the devs used the following logic to in theory make the 2 paths "equal" however in practise I think the net result of this is just an overall nerf to CW damage, going from mod 12.5-13.
    I'll take a slightly more optimistic stance this time around since the changes I see are nicely made, given the history of the changes and having them on mind.

For the sake of the future and what future may bring upon, there might be certain balancing-out of the classes that currently deal way too much damage. Those are melee classes. There are three classes which clash with eachother constantly, and those are GWF, GF and OP.

I sincerely believe that CW's in a splendid spot currently since it's main orientation was to build high recovery in order to become useful. This puts CW and DC on a similar path and makes their synergy amazing. Both MoF and SS are viable.

The Melee classes, however, are a total and utter rubbish, a mess that needs meddling for a long time before they become balanced out.

So to sum it up : I don't think that upping the CW damage will solve any issues in the game, but balancing out the melee classes will.

Option 1 : Balance melee classes (longer job, longer testing, more payment to the devs)
    Option 2 : Make every non-support class a DPS with equal amount of Damage options so that everyone is satisfied a la stalin way.

: /
    True Neutral
    edited February 2018

The idea behind that specific change I think was modeled on the following logic:

If you assume Storm Spell procs once every second, that is a base value of 0.9*1.3 = 1.17 per second.
    If you assume Smoulder procs once every second and that Swath of Destruction is slotted, it deals 0.5625*1.6= 0.9 per second.

This is the same base value (before the storm spell rank bonus is applied) but in addition, there is also a 20% party wide debuff and there is no randomness involved. I think the devs used the following logic to in theory make the 2 paths "equal" however in practise I think the net result of this is just an overall nerf to CW damage, going from mod 12.5-13.

The theory sounds fair but I doubt they will achieve anything with this. SS is used for damage builds and MoF is only used for support in endgame so giving MoF more damage is completely useless and nerfing SS is not a smart move.
    They should rather try to balance the paragon paths compared to other classes. Spellstorm Mage should be a viable option as DPS and MoF as support and now both are not even close to other classes.

Firstly, I dislike the changes to Storm Spell. I would not have made it crit. Compared to other class features, it was already good and it was contesting for the role as second class feature used by CW. By making it crit, they are essentially making it a complete no brainer in every single circumstance, it eliminates any choice between class features. I would rather they had increased the base damage of all CW powers then they make Storm Spell crit and then improve some of the other class features, so that CW has some choice. Furthermore, by making Storm Spell crit, it widens the gap in DpS between MoF and SS, essentially pushing 1 paragon quite a bit further ahead of the other. The change of CP working on Smoulder does not compare at all to this.

That is yours they listened to some of your feedback now master of flame more close to spellstorm mage.