test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

HR PvP mod 14. How to Archer. Updated - tl,dr version.

Comments

• teucer#3019 teucer Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    Had a lot of fun with the pillar build this morning. Watching 85% or more of a toon's health turn white then flat-line is intense. I will have to revisit the boons, see where I can add more AP gain so I can enter Ghost often. Knocking off a toon in three or less shots is fun. Trick is to stick'em and move in stealth.
    The Legendary Outlaws
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    Best thing for me is when someone's trying to cap your home, you ride into max range, stealth up, basically oneshot them, and ride happily back to 2, probably singing.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    Well paint me impressed!

I thought I would give an Archery build a go, at 13.3k I did extremely well, so much so that I did not switch back to Trapper or Hybrid for the 2hrs I played.

I am set up a little differently from the original post but I only died 4 times in 6 games with about 50 kills. Nice :) I had been struggling a bit Mod 12.5 with my set ups in pvp.
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
  • kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    remember to use scroll of fate: power
    or scroll of fate: armor pen from the winter events :D
    a nice fat stack of 99 scrolls should do the job and they stack with everything else
    just search them up in the auction supplies are limited : P
  • bauggsbauggs Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    im using that build where you drop 15points from archer tree and put them in combat..on pve and it works 10x better than full archer.cos you dont need to stand 10km away from battle so getting party buffs. just dont use any skill/feat that says you need to stand 10km away from battle to get 10% more dmg.
  • bauggsbauggs Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    just stack crit noneed for vorpal cos you get 15% sev from archer tree and 50 from combat.
    edited January 2018
    @wdj40

Had some good runs this morning. When we ran together and blocked off access to the middle node, what a laugh.

BTW, should leave that guild... owner is bad news.
    The Legendary Outlaws

@wdj40

Had some good runs this morning. When we ran together and blocked off access to the middle node, what a laugh.

BTW, should leave that guild... owner is bad news.

Yeah had some great games today :) I pvp'd pretty much for 6hrs and cant wait for the Mrs to go to bed now lol...

Our 2 HR combined is an extremely lethal combination ha ha.

Hmmm I dont really speak to anyone in my Guild... We are in the same Alliance though are we not?
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
    edited January 2018
    About the guild, lets take this offline... I'll watch for you and send a party invite.

Yeah, we had them blocked off that game. I need to take a back seat more, I tend to attack/confront instead of run/recover.
    The Legendary Outlaws
    Putting the fun back in PvP. I just had a great match too. Best quote:

"COME DOWN AND FIGHT LIKE MEN!!!!!"
    Ha ha yeah... tell you what I have received a ton of abuse today but have been incredibly successful :)

Some games I was at like 27-1 whilst others against better teams I still came off with a good number of kills... but node holding is very difficult.

1 bit of abuse today was from a GWF from my own team, even though we won and I had 3k points and was above him at the end leaderboard... i still get a load of dribble from him telling me to stick to pve and I cant Dom lol.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe

About the guild, lets take this offline... I'll watch for you and send a party invite.

Yeah, we had them blocked off that game. I need to take a back seat more, I tend to attack/confront instead of run/recover.

Soz dude I dont have a mic :(
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
    Ok so I made a short clip of how I run my Archer if anyone is interested. I only took the clip as one of the players abusing me yesterday chirped up and said something like "run you wuss" so I killed him... then he came back and I killed him again which I thought was funny lol, he did not return a 3rd time :)

Anyhoo I can post stats, equipment etc if anyone is interested,

The latest clip on my xbox dvr page, but I cannot post links from my xbox sorry :(
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
    edited January 2018
    Im running both normal and solo dom queues on my own with it :)

Capping is a nightmare though
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
  • theguiidotheguiido Member Posts: 467 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    Thought I would come to the HR side of the forums to tell you how I view Archery and how I see it as someone who fights it a lot and how it can be beneficial to the team.

I think it's viable for sure.

The best strategy i've found against me as a GF is that the Archer stays in the back AFTER the main team sets up and dives the point. The Archer would fight from a ranged position in the back disrupting the team fight and leaving everyone wondering "WHAT THE HECK IS HITTING ME" Thats the idea. Catch people out of position, punish them for it, or wipe kids in team fights from a safe distance. Hit them when they are focused on other people. It's a pretty clever idea, I think it works. With the right comp, communication, team work, and effort, It can be viable in pre-mades.

Only problem is that if a OP, GF, GWF, or TR, even Combat HR's, SW's or CW's get a hold of you. I think the best thing to do is fall back to your team and then fight on node so you don't lose it. Not saying it's easy, but hopefully your teams buffs can make up for some of the lost damage you lose at not being at range.

Thats my take on it.

Also, not sure if it was this thread but I have read somewhere about the HR dodge not working and I can 100% confirm with video proof that is the case. It's in-consistent. It works a lot of the time, but sometimes it doesn't.

Video Proof: http://xboxclips.com/Sugar+Tamales/a993b68d-52b9-491f-ab8b-f263269cad24

Lastly i've seen some complaints about GF or GWF Indomitable Strength where the people say "I dodged it once fix it" It's 2 strikes. So you need to dodge twice.

Hope that video link helps.
    Proteus
    Guardian Fighter
    TLO
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1221446/the-future-of-the-gf/p1 Existing Problems Still In The Guardian Fighter

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/comment/12984912m
    Feat Changes I'd like to see in The Guardian Fighter
    edited January 2018
    Thanx for the perspective Guido, much appreciated. You're right, that's exactly the tactics I use for the initial rush on mid. The main problem with HR dodges is that the immune frames seem to be out of sync with the animation, you almost have to be prescient to use them.

If you do need to hop onto a contested node, best to stealth up, put careful attack on someone, esp. TRs, and chip at them with quick at wills, but really this is only in extremis, if for example they need another body to cap. If the other team is capping, you're much better off trying to kill the enemy cappers from range. This works both ways, if they all stay on the contested node, they die, if one of them comes off to chase you, they can't cap. Win/win.
    Post edited by jonkoca on
  • thatsmeaswellthatsmeaswell Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 60 Arc User
    Nice that people finally start to deviate from the" you have to be on node or you are useless" meta that persists since ages and start to realize that there are other ways
    edited January 2018
    theguiido said:

Thought I would come to the HR side of the forums to tell you how I view Archery and how I see it as someone who fights it a lot and how it can be beneficial to the team.

The best strategy i've found against me as a GF is that the Archer stays in the back AFTER the main team sets up and dives the point. The Archer would fight from a ranged position in the back disrupting the team fight and leaving everyone wondering "WHAT THE HECK IS HITTING ME" Thats the idea. Catch people out of position, punish them for it, or wipe kids in team fights from a safe distance. Hit them when they are focused on other people. It's a pretty clever idea, I think it works. With the right comp, communication, team work, and effort, It can be viable in pre-mades.

Only problem is that if a OP, GF, GWF, or TR, even Combat HR's, SW's or CW's get a hold of you. I think the best thing to do is fall back to your team and then fight on node so you don't lose it. Not saying it's easy, but hopefully your teams buffs can make up for some of the lost damage you lose at not being at range.

Thats my take on it.

Also, not sure if it was this thread but I have read somewhere about the HR dodge not working and I can 100% confirm with video proof that is the case. It's in-consistent. It works a lot of the time, but sometimes it doesn't.

Video Proof: http://xboxclips.com/Sugar+Tamales/a993b68d-52b9-491f-ab8b-f263269cad24

Lastly i've seen some complaints about GF or GWF Indomitable Strength where the people say "I dodged it once fix it" It's 2 strikes. So you need to dodge twice.

Hey I fought against you a few times in a row tonight :)

Killed each other a few times, I see you steamrolling towards me and I try to get out of the way lol.

A combination of Aspect of the Falcon for Ranged damage and Aspect of the Pack for when you need to be on a node seems to work well. Seekers does not hit for much and the enemy have to be facing away from you, its only decent really if you equip the off-hand with it... but I would rather boost Falcon.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
    wdj40 said:

theguiido said:

Thats my take on it.

Killed each other a few times, I see you steamrolling towards me and I try to get out of the way lol.

A combination of Aspect of the Falcon for Ranged damage and Aspect of the Pack for when you need to be on a node seems to work well. Seekers does not hit for much and the enemy have to be facing away from you, its only decent really if you equip the off-hand with it... but I would rather boost Falcon.
    Haha! You're rydia? did I get that right? Yeah you are the PRIME example of how to play an Archer. Props to you bro.
    Proteus
    Guardian Fighter
    TLO
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1221446/the-future-of-the-gf/p1 Existing Problems Still In The Guardian Fighter

theguiido said:

wdj40 said:

theguiido said:

Thats my take on it.

Haha! You're rydia? did I get that right? Yeah you are the PRIME example of how to play an Archer. Props to you bro.
    Ha ha yeah thats me :)

I have only been playing an Archer for 2 days, never tried it since about Mod 5 or 6.

I keep rotating like a Trapper at the wrong times which gets me into trouble lol. I still have not quite got used to the best way to play it, for instance I forget to put Hunters Teamwork and Careful Attack on a player and sometimes muddle up my Powers in combat.

I actually have about 8-10 builds but have not switched from this Archer since I tried it out. People are starting to wise up a bit though and gang up on me or seek me out ha ha.

I have been using a Trans Dread up to know and its still effective for stripping away Defences... I have just traded in my Trans Elven Battle for a Trans Vorpal and just about to test it out.

Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
    wdj40 said:

theguiido said:

wdj40 said:

theguiido said:

Thats my take on it.

Ha ha yeah thats me :)

I have only been playing an Archer for 2 days, never tried it since about Mod 5 or 6.

I keep rotating like a Trapper at the wrong times which gets me into trouble lol. I still have not quite got used to the best way to play it, for instance I forget to put Hunters Teamwork and Careful Attack on a player and sometimes muddle up my Powers in combat.

I actually have about 8-10 builds but have not switched from this Archer since I tried it out. People are starting to wise up a bit though and gang up on me or seek me out ha ha.

I have been using a Trans Dread up to know and its still effective for stripping away Defences... I have just traded in my Trans Elven Battle for a Trans Vorpal and just about to test it out.

Exactly. If no one else is gunna do the job of taking out and spotting Robin Hood off node, I have to do it. If you leave them uncontested, your team will be wiped within 30 seconds.

Combat and Archer are both viable. People just need to know how to use what at the right times. Valhalla's HR wipes nodes post nerf. So does Gambino.
    Proteus
    Guardian Fighter
    TLO

theguiido said:

wdj40 said:

theguiido said:

Thats my take on it.

I gotta thank Jonk the TC for this build really, I had not bother to go and try an Archer build for so many Mods... He pointed us in the direction (well his buddy did) and I just made my own. It is probably very similar to the original post but I have not got back to check since I read it lol.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
    edited January 2018
    jonkoca said:

Putting the fun back in PvP. I just had a great match too. Best quote:

"COME DOWN AND FIGHT LIKE MEN!!!!!"

It's an example of how well they know this game, they should go back to Minecraft or the previous FPS they were playing. I get those ignorant comments. I find it amusing. Understanding what other toons can do is important.

I tried the Psion and defense boon this past weekend which made me tanky, but could not get set up quick enough to return fire after two tanks bull rushed with the third DPS chipping away at me. Stealth allowed me to run to the other side of the node several times and setup but its predictable where I will be.

The Legendary Outlaws
    Hmmmm weird, Trans Dread for me is far more effective than Trans Vorpal. I wish I had a PC to run ACT all day :(

I dont know if its because I only have 4-4.5k Arm Pen, most of my attacks and my class strip the enemy of Defences instead. Dread has a pretty big debuff on it at 40%.

Whereas Vorpal would boost most of my Aimed Shot damage.

They both seem fairly effective but I cant for the life of me figure out which one is actually better.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
    edited January 2018
    If you get your ArP to 70% and run Dread, you'll do great. But I do notice Vorp and atwill spam is huge. I will fire off LS and spam atwill and watch the crits ramp.
    The Legendary Outlaws

If you get your ArP to 70% and run Dread, you'll do great. But I do notice Vorp and atwill spam is huge. I will fire off LS and spam atwill and watch the crits ramp.

Honestley you really do not need Arm Pen that high, I am running 4.3k right now (with the Helm that gives 100 per second in combat) and just about everything is dropping like flies.

I had a bit of a re-vamp earlier and hitting a bit harder now and more Stealth lol... DC's, Tanks and TR's are all being put down. It is only when 3-5 players all sinc up they can absorb more hits and gang up on me :)

I wont give away my exact build as its a bit too effective and I am having too much fun. But the counter has lost count of my kills now which means its over 1000 as you can only see 1...

Anyhoo thats 110 games so not bad, the 1st 20 were a bit pants as I was still trying to get a Trapper and Hybrid to work early in Mod 12b.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
    Lets remind ourselves of the peeps we see in Solo (Xbox) are mainly PvE toons trying PvP. So you won't catch me flying a flag with the countless two shot kills.

I have taken this build into PreMs and it is great, but you definitely need to react faster and be tankier. I know you have seen Proteus smash your face in. ;0

I have run as little as 4-5K ArP, but tanks and 'good' pallies need more to nudge them to flat-line.

It is a blast watching 70% or more of someone's full heath turn white.
    The Legendary Outlaws

Lets remind ourselves of the peeps we see in Solo (Xbox) are mainly PvE toons trying PvP. So you won't catch me flying a flag with the countless two shot kills.

I have taken this build into PreMs and it is great, but you definitely need to react faster and be tankier. I know you have seen Proteus smash your face in. ;0

I have run as little as 4-5K ArP, but tanks and 'good' pallies need more to nudge them to flat-line.

It is a blast watching 70% or more of someone's full heath turn white.

Um actually Proteus and I exchanged quite a number of smash your face in's which went both ways not just one :)

I am running in the normal queue too and also ran Siege and GG, almost felt like I was soloing Siege with the team I was put on, still ended up with 40 kills which was nice... loads of room to run around on that map which is great for sniping :)

Anyhoo I thought I would switch my Guild boon from Power to Arm Pen... have 111% in the last couple of games and did not really see much of a difference. I have switched from Vorpal to Dread and Arm Pen to Power and combos of each, I really cant see my shots doing much less or more than before. Combat Log is completely useless :(
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
    edited January 2018
    I had the same problem, I think it all mainly evens out. If you up arpen, you drop power, which evens out. If you swap dread for vorp, what you gain on aimed shot you lose on encounters plus debuff, again evening out.

After about 400 plus matches I settled on vorpal (only because it fits my pve combat build too), 42k base power (buffing up to 50k+) and 70% base arpen (buffing up to 85%). This seems for my toon to be the best "one size fits all" loadout. Crit remains at somewhere between 80-85%.

Kills now at 4000 plus, deaths 2000 plus. Solo queue though, so I guess mainly pugs. However, I've also killed every big name in the book at least once. Some, [cough Saber cough], multiple times lol.
    Dropped ArP to between 2-3k mainly increasing Crit and some power. I was hitting much harder.
    The Legendary Outlaws