test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Accidental Misclick Cost Me Over 580,000 Astral Diamonds

scoffyscoffy Member Posts: 8 Arc User
Logged-in on Monday (1/1/18 - Happy New Year!) to do daily housekeeping, including collecting completed profession tasks. I was used to working on tasks with completion times of typically 18-hrs or less - effectively daily completions - but had the previous day started some with extra long completion times (6+ days). Basically, on 'auto-pilot' when I accidentally clicked one of the uncompleted tasks ("finish now" button). *POOF* over 580,000 AD gone in a flash before I even realized what had happened. Filed a ticket with customer support in the hope-against-hope that maybe - just maybe - I could get a 'refund'. Response was, not surprisingly, "tough cookies" (except, in a nicer, more professional way). Over one-half MILLION AD is not an insignificant amount and represents a lot of time and effort simply wasted.

Needless to say, I was/am quite unhappy this could - and did - happen.

Even though this was my error, there is no confirmation pop-up for this action. I find this quite unfathomable that an in-place mechanic (which I have no objections to, per se) can INSTANTANEOUSLY take very large sums of currency on a simple misclick error, WITHOUT confirmation.

As part of my ticket, I suggested that a confirmation pop-up (with BIG, red-letters) warning that one is about to spend x amount of AD be added to the "finish now" button script (as it really should have been in the first place) with "yes, proceed" and "NO! Cancel!!" buttons to allow one to cancel the transaction. While this may not completely eliminate something like this from happening again, it will greatly reduce the chances of accidental occurrences.

(Of course, ideally, I'd also like someone 'higher up' in the customer service chain to reverse the initial refund rejection, but I'm not holding my breath for that.)
;)
"...At least it tells us they understand our language; they're just not willing to speak to us in it. -Who knew they were French?"

Comments

• Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,220 Arc User
    I believe there is a confirmation pop up for that although no big red letters.
    There is a confirmation pop up for 'Collect' too.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    The popup for cancel looks EXTREMELY like the one for complete. I've not done what the OP did but have completed 12 hour tasks when I actually clicked cancel and lag caused it to take it as complete.
  • Options
    matthattrmatthattr Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    There is a pop up (normally) a pop-up that says *this action is going to cost you x amount AD to complete, do you wish to proceed?* with a *yes* button, but not a no button, the *no* part to cancel is in the upper right corner where a "x" is in normal windows (like that red x in this forum window is). In the case of the task it's not a x but a circle with a line through it (univesal cancel symbol). It's tiny and *yes* is big and if you are clicking fast (like you do for the multiple 9 professions tasks) you won't know you are clicking yes until it's done.

But that's normal, recently there have been a bunch if instant *do x* occurance that normally have a pop-up to warn you about it do so without the pop-up doing so.

For instance I had a stack of 70+ enchanted coffers saved up for the 2x enchant event. I right clicked it to the "open box" pull down, then intended to keep hitting the "open another" button, that didn't happen. Right clicking made the stack go poof. Even if i had dragged my mouse button outside the bag slots it should have prompted a "this will destroy Y of item X" do you want to take this action? Y or N?
    I didn't drag it, no pop up Y/N, no "open box" drag down, no open another?......Right click, *poof* stack gone. :(

To support and ticket I ran! After a week+ and several "more info needed" emails and sorry for the delay it's christmas-don't-cha-know, I just got one before maintenance saying they have looked into it and have sent me a one time bound refund (lol they would have been bound anyway). I now anxiously await maintenance to end to see if it's the stack I lost or fewer. Too late for the 2x enchant event to do me good, but if they are all back in place i will be happy and just keep saving for the next event :)

Sorry you didn't get a refund :(. and yes, the popup that is in place is weak! And you may have been a victim of the recent spate of popup warnings not doing so, but insta-actioning.
  • Options
    sgaddis13#3703 sgaddis13 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    I've done this same thing on Xbox whilst in auto pilot, but not to that painful of an extent. You click A twice to collect your profession, move to the next box, rinse repeat, and before you remember some of your professions weren't actually done yet you've cleared the whole screen and are considerably poorer.

In my case, all I will say is there is a reason why I now have a "no professions, no AH purchases" rule in place past a certain time at night. I am not to be trusted.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,220 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    matthattr said:

There is a pop up (normally) a pop-up that says *this action is going to cost you x amount AD to complete, do you wish to proceed?* with a *yes* button, but not a no button, the *no* part to cancel is in the upper right corner where a "x" is in normal windows (like that red x in this forum window is). In the case of the task it's not a x but a circle with a line through it (univesal cancel symbol). It's tiny and *yes* is big and if you are clicking fast (like you do for the multiple 9 professions tasks) you won't know you are clicking yes until it's done.

When that pops up, it gives you two choices, "ok" and "Cancel".

The "Collect Result" gives you one choice, "Take Reward". If you need to cancel that (I do that often), you type "Esc" .
    There is no 'x' for you to choose in either pop up.

This is PC forum. I assume we are talking about PC.

*** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    matthattr said:

*snip*

Having the 'completion' pop-up screen being able to implement a cancel function by using the "close window" button is *not* the same as a confirmation pop-up. I do not recall one way or the other if there was actual text saying "this action is going to cost you...". What I do recall is hitting "finish now" button (thinking it was the "collect result" button) and then seeing (at least what I thought at the time) was the normal 'completion/collect reward' pop-up. As far as I can remember it was identical to the normal, completion pop-up. (But as I said, I was on 'auto-pilot' and I'm not about to go and test the 'finish now' button to see whether it actually was or not.)

A confirmation screen is a completely separate screen that asks the fundamental question "Are you sure?" and then has two, (roughly) same sized buttons with "yes, proceed" and "No, Cancel" (or similar wording) with an obvious separation between them. (Although, having a larger "no" button would also be acceptable.) It should (in theory) help 'wake-up' someone who is 'auto-piloting' an action that they have performed dozens and dozens of time to let them know "Hey, you're about to do something which is typically not a 'normal' action."

So, with respect, I will stand by my original suggestion of getting a confirmation pop-up added to the "finish now" button script. Again, it may not completely prevent this from re-occurring, but it should help drastically reduce the chances of it.
    ;)
    "...At least it tells us they understand our language; they're just not willing to speak to us in it. -Who knew they were French?"
  • Options

matthattr said:

When that pops up, it gives you two choices, "ok" and "Cancel".

The "Collect Result" gives you one choice, "Take Reward". If you need to cancel that (I do that often), you type "Esc" .
    There is no 'x' for you to choose in either pop up.

This is PC forum. I assume we are talking about PC.

Well, that is not what I recall, but I can't deny the screen shot. I guess I was completely sleep walking through things, then.
    ;)