test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Weird Bubble Distortion (Horizontal Line) running/riding mount...

strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
edited December 2017 in Bug Reports (PC)
As of 12/14/2017 I noticed this unusual Horizontal Bubble Line that often starts 35-40% up the screen then slowly moves downward. Now I'm using NVIDIA and previously had a 7xxGTX which was still a highly capable card of displaying max graphics quite well but when this started I then upgraded to a 1xxxGTX with 388.13 (Dec 2017) Graphic's driver's it only slightly better but I still see it appearing ever since 12/14.

Funny thing is I never see the exact same BUG in both Star Trek Online & Neverwinter at exactly the same time - in fact rarely do I ever see the same bug in both games. But this Horizontal Bubble (1-2cm tall) than run right across the screen still allows you to see the graphics they just appear distorted like a horizontal bubble line that can start 40% up the screen and work toward the bottom 20% before disappearing and then sometimes reappearing. This BUG started at exactly the same time in Neverwinter & Star Trek Online at exactly the same time 12/14/2017 and I've never ever seen that before.

I also NOTICE now both games (Force Verify) also doesn't do anything. It's been broken in Star Trek Online for a month or two but I don't know how long it's been broken in Neverwinter so I can't even check if some file has become slightly corrupted or should be updated?
Post edited by strathkin on

Comments

• Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    Are you able to get a screenshot or video of this distortion?
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    It's your monitor
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    It's got nothing to do with my monitor it's a clear graphical issue and the distortion looks like you had drop of water that was run across the horizontal line of the screen a few mm in height and would distort the screen likely in a similar effect.

Now I've reported this in both the Star Trek Online & Neverwinter BUG forums clearly identifying it began 12/14/2017 immediately following the patch. Yesterday I also logged a Technical Support Graphical issue with Arcgames support as well clearly identifying this issue as well.

I know they have and still have a slight problem with some NVIDIA game clients (I use mostly EVGA cards) hanging as I was one of the people who experienced that sometimes 1 to 3 times a day and can be very frustrating went it occurred -- thankfully the game client eventually terminates and detects the cause. That problem began in the Summer July/August time frame for many sometimes occurring 2 or 3 times a day. On that issue the Neverwinter Game Designer was kind enough to write me in October saying they had been working with graphic leads and had managed to correct the 'most' common occurrences of the issue - although I still see it occurring a few times since although there may be lots of code to review / rewrite so a few corrections could still be coming.

Now I did explain I even upgraded the Video Card and updated the Drivers at the same time to a NVidia 1xxx GTX series with 388.13 (Dec 2017) Drivers a few days later but the problem remaining. Unfortunately FORCE VERIFY has not been working in Star Trek Online or Neverwinter possibly for 1-2 months so I'm unable to easily repair or validate any files that may be the cause. Force Verify not working has also been reported by several people and I hope people continue to report it so it's corrected soon as it's one of the best means to ensure game files are properly updated for the correct version.

I logged in just now to try to take a screen shot while running in Winterfest on my Paladin but in the 1-2 minutes I was logged it I could not see that occurring at all. I have noticed it temporarily disappear but usually it's only temporary so I'll have to remain vigilant and try to post if I when / if I see it again. So stay tunned...

I'm always promptly reporting new bugs and any possibly causes and more importantly exactly when it began as it makes it a lot issue to quickly troubleshoot and correct along with hardware being used if graphical in nature.
    Post edited by strathkin on
  • Options
    cforest#0755 cforest Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    I had a similar issue several weeks ago. I logged in one day, and when I moved around I would see this fuzzy line move down from about half-way on my screen downward. I turned on vertical sync from the display tab, and the problem went away immediately.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Well too my knowledge that was always ON unless something that happened on 12/14 caused it to reset to off. I know when I updated the Video Card it installed the latest Driver's but I did this after the problem first appeared and though I had checked that then. When I logged a support ticket with ARCGAMES they said their technicians were aware of the problem and were working toward a fix; however, at the bottom I also identified the issue with FORCE VERIFY. It's possible they were referring to that issue (Force Verify) being the 'known' issue. Cause in 3+ years of playing the game I've never ever once seen this weird fuzzy distortion thing before...

I however just re-check and your correct somehow despite that previously having been set to ON; it was indeed set to off. >:) Anyways I've once again changed it back to vertical sync ON and hope that corrects my issues - I'm not noticing it currently but sometimes it would vanish and not be a problem.

I still think something else might be the underlying cause however so I'll have to monitor it over the next few days and post an update in time...

On another note I hope they are able to fix the FORCE VERIFY issue very soon - as that really helps everyone ensure their game files are properly up-to-date. o:)
  • Options
    chadvaliantchadvaliant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 35 Arc User
    I have the same problem.

I have a feeling it's the render distance of some of the graphical features, like the shadows for example. As you approach a shadow on the ground it changes from low res to high res about a foot in front of your mount's nose. This is causing what looks like a blurry line on my screen anyway.

Seems like it's not just shadows either as I still get some kind of blur with the shadows disabled. The blur almost looks like screen tearing but not quite.

I'm finding it really annoying too.
  • Options
    I've never seen my issue prior to 12/14 of last year and the blurry line that would appear ran all the way across the screen regardless of shadows or other effects; typically starting at about 40-45% up the screen then moving down to about 20% before disappearing while running / riding mount.

It also has been resolved since re-enabling Vertical Sync under Display settings which somehow seemed to get disabled.