test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gauntlgrym Golems Targeting Issue

darthtzarrdarthtzarr Member Posts: 1,003 Arc User
edited November 2017 in PvP Discussion
So there are golems that spawn in the Gauntlgrym pvp map at 2 specific nodes. These golems have hit/aim boxes the size of the entire arena (slight exaggeration). Using single target skills with these golems even remotely nearby will cause your character to turn around and attack them instead of what you are pointing at. I have actually had my character turn around backwards to attack Golems that are standing behind me. It would be great if the hitbox on these golems could be decreased in size, or even reduce the golems themselves in size.

Although I understand they are meant to disrupt you, having an enemy at 10% HP get completely saved by the golems spawning doesn't feel like a fun mechanic. If I target the enemy player, I should attack the enemy player, not the golems.

This is from my experience playing a DC, so the powers involved were:
Prophecy of Doom
Forgemaster's Flame
Break the Spirit

In case the issue actually is in the power's targetting system. They were used in several different modes, and it didn't seem to matter.

Signature [WIP] - tyvm John

Post edited by darthtzarr on

Comments

• Options
    kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    umm one word ... hard target lock ..... nuff said ...

also target/toggle and lock on players aiming vertically down on them from above instead of horizontal sweeping/ missing

there is no hiding behind golems/ other players once hard locked on target : D unless target turns invisible.../ goes out of range
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    kalina311 said:

also target and lock players aiming vertically down on them from above instead of horizontal sweeping

there is no hiding behind golems once hard locked on target

That's the thing, if you hold CTRL (hard lock) on your target it targets the nearest golem, since it just hard locks onto your current target, and their hitbox is so big that they are always the selected target. There is no way to target players while they are standing nearby.

Once you are locked on, sure, but that means you cannot attack a point with golems already summoned.

• Options
    edited November 2017

kalina311 said:

also target and lock players aiming vertically down on them from above instead of horizontal sweeping

That's the thing, if you hold CTRL (hard lock) on your target it targets the nearest golem, since it just hard locks onto your current target, and their hitbox is so big that they are always the selected target. There is no way to target players while they are standing nearby.
    LOL that is not a hard target lock that is soft target lock ..( the default setting bind of that key )
    CTRL is bound to soft target lock meaning it will change if another target goes in front
    you need to bind a "hard target lock toggle " to the key .,.,. . hint hint : D
  • Options
    kalina311 said:

kalina311 said:

LOL that is not a hard target lock that is soft target lock ..( the default setting bind of that key )
    CTRL is bound to soft target lock meaning it will change if another target goes in front
    you need to bind a "hard target lock toggle " to a key .,.,. . hint hint : D
    K, I will have to try that, however, why should we need a lockon key to do something that should be default? I should never get turned around to fire at something behind me.

• Options
    edited November 2017

kalina311 said:

kalina311 said:

K, I will have to try that, however, why should we need a lockon key to do something that should be default? I should never get turned around to fire at something behind me.
    that is not somethign that should be on by default cause if you are locked on you are circle locked orbiting facing the enemy and cant manovers in the same way should someone else target you .. you are essentially like a planet orbiting the sun that is your movement arc

once you try it you see you move differently hard locked on and will want to be able to toggle it on or off depending on situation and power it takes a lot of practice to master in the heat of combat and used improperly will get you killed
  • Options
    kalina311 said:

kalina311 said:

kalina311 said:

that is not somethign that should b one by default cause if you are locked on you are circle locked orbiting facing the enemy and cant manovers in the same way should someone else target you .. you are essentially like a planet orbiting the sun that is your movement arc

once you try it you see you move differently hard locked on and will want to be able to toggle it on or off depending on situation and power it takes a lot of practice to master in the heat of combat
    I am not sure you are understanding what is happening. Yes, locking on could fix the problem, but the problem shouldn't exist. Here is what is happening:

(Golem)__(Me) --aiming--> (Enemy Player)

I press the key and my character turns completely around and uses forgemaster's flame on the golem behind me with no other input other than firing the key. I am not locked on to anything, I simply cannot target players while the golems are anywhere on my screen.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    and we are back to where we started again *sigh* Problem ...your aoe power or single target are mis firing on golems (WHEN YOU PRESS THE LEFT CONTROL KEY WHICH WE HAVE ESTABLISHED IS SOFT TARGET LOCK by default ) causing you to turn the wrong direction misfire etc etc causing you to miss players .?. solution ...you need to be hard targeted locked on the player not to miss ... you need to rebind your control key to hard target lock toggle ..

a visial aim is not aim with lag and delay just cause the enemy looks like he is in the middle of the aim cursor he may not be .. you need to lock on in such huge mobs with lots of target movement ya aoe can misfire or change your target for a perceived higher threat(possible bug ) .. no soft target lock on control just like you have it will target the closets enemy so working aS INTENDED ..IF YOU DID NOT REBIND YOUR KEY YOUR EXAMPLE IS NOW MOOT BY DEFAULT THE LEFT CONTROL KEY YOU ARE USING IS SOFT TARGET LOCK AND WILL PERFORM EXACLY AS YOU DESCRIBED

if you dont want the accepted solution/ work around dont take it ... asside from the fact that hard target is beneficial in many other situation and not just the one you are describing
  • Options
    kalina311 said:

and we are back to where we started again *sigh* Problem ...your aoe power or single target are mis firing on golems causeing you to turn the wrong direction misfire etc etc causing you to miss players .?. solution ...you need to be hard targeted locked on the player not to miss ... you need to rebind your control key to hard target lock toggle ..

a visial aim is not aim with lag and delay just cause the enemy looks like he is in the middle of the aim cursor he may not be .. you need to lock on in such huge mobs with lots of target movement

And we are back to my question, why should we need a keybind to fix something that shouldn't happen? The misfire is happening because the golem hitbox is far too big, it's around 5x bigger than the golem's character model. Yes, it can potentially be fixed by locking on, but it would be very nice if these golem hitboxes were maybe.... the size of the golems.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I think they deliberately made the hitboxes large so they could "protect" the players better lol

ya but see now you knowing this you can suprise and kill someone that thinks he is safe hiding in the golems : D

there are many other cases of pve type mobs and fights having huge hitboxes too...

also 2 v 1 or 3 v 1 in pvp when everyone is the same hitbox size .. there can be misfiring

even if the golem were smaller hit box then the player can go behind him and you would still miss and sill need the hard target lock

could also argue it the other way golems are easier to target and clear faster first that way too also to get you kill 1000 golems in pvp achievement lol

same example if you are fighting two players and want to target one over the other and they are overlapping eaco other (strategically or not ) missing can occur regardless of the size of the hitbox too so the hard lock toggle mechanic is still needed regardless of hitbox size
  • Options
    kalina311 said:

I think they deliberately made the hitboxes large so they could "protect" the players better lol

Quite possible, although at times it seems fairly unreasonable how far away they will take your aim.
    kalina311 said:

same example if you are fighting two players and want to target one over the other and they are overlapping eaco other (strategically or not ) missing can occur regardless of the size of the hitbox too so the hard lock toggle mechanic is still needed regardless of hitbox size

If they had to be standing in front, I could understand. This issue has never happened to me with just players standing around. I can accept random misfires in the chaos of a fight if I don't lock on to someone. It's when one person is in the canter of my screen, and a golem is barely visible on my left, and yet, it still turns my whole camera and character to fire at the golem. This isn't "hiding" this is an obnoxious targeting issue.

• Options
    in classic GG there was an even larger enemy with an even larger hit box : D Amsud a giant and he would fight on the winning pve teams side that was happening in parallel area to the Gg pvp now that was a hard target when enemy players would just stand at his feet to protect themselves lol particularlily Trs
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    > @darthtzarr said:
    > umm one word ... hard target lock ..... nuff said ...
    >
    > also target and lock players aiming vertically down on them from above instead of horizontal sweeping
    >
    >
    > there is no hiding behind golems once hard locked on target
    >
    > That's the thing, if you hold CTRL (hard lock) on your target it targets the nearest golem, since it just hard locks onto your current target, and their hitbox is so big that they are always the selected target. There is no way to target players while they are standing nearby.
    >
    > Once you are locked on, sure, but that means you cannot attack a point with golems already summoned.

I wrote a configuration for easy target lock.. want me to upload it for you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    /alias hlock "++HardTargetLock $$ HardTargetLock"
    /bind ctrl+g hlock

is what i'm currently using. I like it telling me if it's on or off because I'm bad at life.
  • Options
    jim9311jim9311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 60 Arc User
    how dows one get gg pvp to even fire. is there a custom channel?
  • Options
    My alliance sets it up all the time, so yeah there is a private channel.

• Options
    jim9311jim9311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 60 Arc User
    is there a way for non alliance members to get an invite to the channel?
  • Options
    jim9311 said:

is there a way for non alliance members to get an invite to the channel?

No, sorry