test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bug at the end of ToNG when dying at the same time as the boss, lost all rewards including seals

araxelvenaraxelven Member Posts: 72 Arc User
This may not be that big of a deal for some, but it sure is for me considering that this was only my second completeted ToNG run.

We breezed through the entire dungeon buit had a few problems at the final boss and had to reset about 7-8 times. On the very last try we got the boss down to about 10% but the other DPS was pushed off so it was just me. I did my best and I managed to kill it at the very same time I was pushed off the platform. I got no rewards at all and when I reset I started back at the beginning of the dungeon. Maybe I could have made my way back to the end (yay TR stealth) but about 10 seconds later the game crashed to the desktop. When I relogged I was still dead but ressurected at Protector's Enclave in the middle of the top platform.

So I lost about 50 seals plus the other content of the chest, but the seals were a big deal to me. I filed a bug report in the game but is there something I can do to get this fixed? Is this a common problem?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    There are a number of different things going on here.

One, and this isn't intuitive, you don't actuay kill Ras Nsi. When you get his health down to a certain point, Acerack (the giant ghost head) will cause the final platform tilt which sends the boss to his doom. Once that audio plays "Your performance is unsatisfactory" all you have to do is stay alive. Move to the other side of the platform and try to avoid any of the boss's attacks. If you are close to the boss, you will fall off as well.

Second, there is the issue of the double death. Sometimes when you fall off, you will release and show up at the campfire still dead. Releasing again takes you back to the trap corridor and the mobs will be back. For the most part, your party will have to jump off the edge to join you so you can get back. Stealth won't help you as mobs still aggro and you won't be able to activate doors or the ladder in combat. This is almost certainly a bug but no one has ever managed to get a dec to comment on it. There are a number of theories regarding it but no easy way to avoid it. Everyone falls off from time to time. I think if you can manage to land under the platform since you can control your falling in this game, you will avoid this. It is hard to test of course...

Finally, anytime you disconnect in an instance after the boss goes down, the game will not return you to it. Short of the Devs recoding this, there is no workaround.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    araxelvenaraxelven Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    pitshade said:

There are a number of different things going on here.

One, and this isn't intuitive, you don't actuay kill Ras Nsi. When you get his health down to a certain point, Acerack (the giant ghost head) will cause the final platform tilt which sends the boss to his doom. Once that audio plays "Your performance is unsatisfactory" all you have to do is stay alive. Move to the other side of the platform and try to avoid any of the boss's attacks. If you are close to the boss, you will fall off as well.

Second, there is the issue of the double death. Sometimes when you fall off, you will release and show up at the campfire still dead. Releasing again takes you back to the trap corridor and the mobs will be back. For the most part, your party will have to jump off the edge to join you so you can get back. Stealth won't help you as mobs still aggro and you won't be able to activate doors or the ladder in combat. This is almost certainly a bug but no one has ever managed to get a dec to comment on it. There are a number of theories regarding it but no easy way to avoid it. Everyone falls off from time to time. I think if you can manage to land under the platform since you can control your falling in this game, you will avoid this. It is hard to test of course...

Finally, anytime you disconnect in an instance after the boss goes down, the game will not return you to it. Short of the Devs recoding this, there is no workaround.

It was going really fast and considering the only other DPS was down I was a bit desperate and reckless to finish him off, but to my recollection my death was pretty much at the same time as the pop-up saying we won with the top-5 dps and such... perfaps the bug is that if you're falling when the fight is won the game can't take me back to the last campfire?

And as a TR I can get past the mobs until the end of the dungeon if I was taken back to the start. I've done it before when I jouned a party that was at the last boss. The problem in that case was that the two other new DCs couldn't. But that doesn't explain the hard crash to desktop I got.

Either way there certainly seems to be a couple of bugs at work here...
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    As far as falling off and ending up at the trap corridor, it can happen at any time in the fight. There have been reports of not getting seals and/or getting chests unlocked when you fall and die at the very end, but ending up in the wrong place is a separate issue.

If you fell in the same tilt as the boss dying (even if his HP actually goes empty he doesn't just die) then your death would naturally be simultaneous with the Paingiver etc... pop up.

The crash is probably just bad coincidence that it happened when it did for you. A lot of people have intermittent lag issues in there and it seems likely those could cause a CTD.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother