test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

T. Vorpal/soulforged/negation visual effects

clownsanityclownsanity Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited October 2017 in Player Feedback (PC)
Hi, I am here to propose to rework the visual effects of the 2 enchantments I listed in the title, vorpal has a disturbing, for me, discoball effect with an epiletctic pulsating glow, looks poorly like looks poorly but at least not disturbing the effect of the soulforged, seems it afflicts only not armored body parts but a jewels and armor looks like they are sweating ink; if possible I would like to have different effects or at least being able to deactivate these, thank you =).
Post edited by clownsanity on

Comments

• Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    They have stated numerous times that the visual effects of enhancements cannot be disabled.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    edited October 2017

Hi, I am here to propose to rework the visual effects of the 2 enchantments I listed in the title, vorpal has a disturbing, for me, discoball effect with an epiletctic pulsating glow, looks poorly like looks poorly but at least not disturbing the effect of the soulforged, seems it afflicts only not armored body parts but a jewels and armor looks like they are sweating ink; if possible I would like to have different effects or at least being able to deactivate these, thank you =).

Totally agree on the Vorpal - Perfect and above are visually painful to look at - esp. on big / back weapon classes like HR and GWF. They don't need to disable the visuals, just modify the appearance of the effect - replace the blinking with something else.

But - not sure it matters to the devs. Case in point: I noted to the devs back when they changed the format of this forum interface to a light text on dark background that it violates standards of visual web usability.

Where I work my company has to abide by US regs on visual accessibility (Section 508, etc) because they work on govt contracts, which mandate adherence to the regs.

Because PWI is for profit with no gov't compliance requirements they can do what they want and to blankety blank with user experience. Unless the issue affects their cash flow / profit margin - we are s o l.
  • Options
    entropy#7953 entropy Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Negation & shadowclad armor enchantments have the worst looking effects... my rogue looks like an ad for a Vegas bordello with the negation on her. A disable switch would be wonderful... and to the devs who say they can't do it... if it goes away when the enchantment comes out there's nothing preventing them from putting a switch in that does the same with the visuals but not the effects.
  • Options
    kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    r000kie said:

modify the appearance of the effect - replace the blinking with something else [...] US regs on visual accessibility

Err.. sorry, but if you'll make a game to cater exclusively to the people with disabilities, that would be a bleak world for all of us. I do like that frosty blink on my huge GWF sword. Best thing to do is to have a disable option - it can be easily implemented regardless of the official narrative. Is software code - anything can be disabled.

Bruenor Helm artifact effect - THAT is a pain even for me.

I'd be good with a disable option that could target specific enchantments. Not sure if the devs are up for that, but if so that's an acceptable solution.

And be advised the concept of "visual disability" is a lot broader than you may realize - approx. 1/3 of the adult population worldwide will suffer from some form of visual impediment due to an astigmatism during their lifetime - which is the underlying cause for problems with light fonts, etc on dark backgrounds. That does not include a separate but overlapping group of folks suffering from some form of color blindness (about 8 - 10 % of the overall population). So for every 3 players on this platform, at least 1 of them is likely to have a problem with these issues.

It's one of the main reasons why makers of computer monitors way back in the 80's stopped making black screens with green or white text, and flipped to white screens with black text. And why those pesky rules about visual disabilities (which includes color blindness) got put into law back in the day here in the US.

• Options
    locksanpocketslocksanpockets Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 111 Arc User
    Briartwine becomes progressively worse looking past rank 8 until it becomes outright hideous.

There's no need for armor enchantments to completely obscure the armor that players wear.
  • Options
    clownsanityclownsanity Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    I post an image with me with both negation 12 and vorpal 12, has you can see it is... welll unseeable at min, very very poor design; i would propose to let us to disable those effects at least in PVE where is less important to notice immediately which enchantment a player has on. Seriously that blinking effect bother even if i am not subjected to epilectic crysis.

• Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,218 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    I personally love the r12 negation visual effect on my OP who always wears fashion. I have no objection to allow others to disable it. I was thinking about changing the enchantment for better overall performance but I gave up because I would miss the look.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    athena#9205 athena Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    I think Cryptic should create a tab in the options menu to adjust various types of visual effects, i.e. turn off/on or down. When i'm playing with allot of other, like in the marauders, the visual effects put my computer and internet to strain, causing serious lag as it tries to keep up. I'd love to be able to minimize the visual effects to get a better feel for the game. Right now because of the visual effects i have all other graphics at minimum to make it smooth as possible.