test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

AoE targeting assist for real

artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User
edited October 2017 in Guides
I've been looking for a way to cast ground-targeted AoE attacks directly on a target by pressing a key.

There is an "AoE Targeting Assist" option but it doesn't really work and casts the spell a few feet behind the target rather than directly on them.

Looking through the internet I found the interesting command :

hardtargetlock 1 $$ +powertrayexec 2 $$ hardtargetlock 0

Sadly, this does exactly the same thing as "AoE Targeting Assist".

Tinkering with it I found a solution :

With the options "Location Targeting Activation On Second Press" and "AoE Targeting Assist Off" the following command does the trick.

hardtargetlock 1 $$ +powertrayexec 2 $$ +powertrayexec 2 $$ hardtargetlock 0

For anyone wanting to try it, the arguments for +powertrayexec are :
0 at-will 1, 1 at-will 2, 2 encounter 1, 3 encounter 2, 4 encounter 3, 5 daily 1, 6 daily 2

I am in the habit of using my mouse for executing most powers. Using scroll-up and scroll-down with ground-targeting skills is problematic since the option "Location Targeting Activation On Release" doesn't work with them. The previous command has the additionnal advantage of fixing this problem.

For anyone interested, the arguments for binding mouse butons with the "/bind" command are :
"lbutton" for left button, "rbutton" for right button, "mbutton" for middle press, "wheelplus" for scroll-up, "wheelminus" for scroll-down

If anyone knows an easier way of achieving this I'm all ears.

EDIT --- I found a flaw in this.

If a player is standing between you and the target, the hardtargetlock command will lock on the player instead of the target. This causes two problems :

1- if the power is ground targeted it will fire on the player's location

2- if the power can't be used on players it won't fire at all

I solved problem 2 with the command :

hardtargetlock 1 $$ +powertrayexec 2 $$ +powertrayexec 2 $$ hardtargetlock 0 $$ +powertrayexec 2

to make sure the power is executed in any case.

Problem 1 remains. I'd need a way of telling /hardtargetlock not to lock on players.

To be continued...
Post edited by artifleur on