test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is the point of making trophies/lures unique?

masterogamasteroga Member Posts: 474 Arc User
Can a dev please explain what the reason is behind making trophies/lures unique? All it does is add a ton of busy work with the mailbox. I don't see how this is necessary/helpful in anyway...

Comments

• Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    masteroga said:

Can a dev please explain what the reason is behind making trophies/lures unique? All it does is add a ton of busy work with the mailbox. I don't see how this is necessary/helpful in anyway...

A couple of mods ago, when they introduced the key tab in inventory, the question came up "Why don't individual items for quests go in there?" The response was, "You are supposed to finish each quest on the same day that you start it, so there is those items won't be in your inventory on a long term basis." I suspect that theunique nature of lure items is similar. They really do think we are supposed to approach it in a strictly linear fashion. Heh.

• Options
    therealprotextherealprotex Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 526 Arc User
    And as far as I remember some dev said that the now common use of the mailbox for lures/trophies was not intended, so you can assume that putting the stuff in the mailbox to allow more than one lure/trophy of one kind at the same time is an abuse. I'd expect a change for the mailbox soon and - if they are in bad mood - maybe even a temp block for those who abused the mailbox.
  • Options
    araneaxaraneax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 639 Arc User
    edited October 2017

And as far as I remember some dev said that the now common use of the mailbox for lures/trophies was not intended, so you can assume that putting the stuff in the mailbox to allow more than one lure/trophy of one kind at the same time is an abuse. I'd expect a change for the mailbox soon and - if they are in bad mood - maybe even a temp block for those who abused the mailbox.

@therealprotex
    Am i supposed to just keep one in my inventory , while trying to farm for other lures needed to make a trophy, while the first one sits in my inventory ?
    Am i supposed to run away then, from the other rear creatures if i maybe have one of their lures on me ?
    Like a headless chicken ?

" I have your lure ! Leave me alone ! Bad dino ! Bad ! I do not want to kill you ! Stop jumping on me !!! Heeelpppp!!!"

d7d81448-df6b-48cf-94a0-cf1ba87d861a_zpsish6zr2v.jpg

• Options
    therealprotextherealprotex Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    araneax said:

@therealprotex
    Am i supposed to just keep one in my inventory , while trying to farm for other lures needed to make a trophy, while the first one sits in my inventory ?
    Am i supposed to run away then, from the other rear creatures if i maybe have one of their lures on me ?
    Like a headless chicken ?

" I have your lure ! Leave me alone ! Bad dino ! Bad ! I do not want to kill you ! Stop jumping on me !!! Heeelpppp!!!"

As far as I remember, that's exactly what the devs want you to do. One of the reasons why I skipped hunting completly.

Edit: Not the running is what they expect you to do, but to farm the lures and trophies one by one. In a team, of course.
  • Options
    They keep adding quality of life improvements to shave off busy work time. This is a whole new level of busy work though. And if they make the items unmailable...virtually 0 people will do hunts.
  • Options
    preechr#2215 preechr Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    Pretty sure the question was responded to, and it was stated the intent was to make the hunt process more lineal so as to feel more realistic... May be remembering incorrectly, and I'm not in favor of it either
    The intention is one thing, but how the zone works in practice is another
    Commodity drops will always be farmed, and I don't really see why, in a grindy mmorpg especially, why mechanics meant to hinder farming/grinding would be seen as necessary or prudent
  • Options
    How do we tag developers?
  • Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    masteroga said:

You have to know their name and use the @ and their forum name to flag them. It doesn't matter though. They have answered the question about this and appear to have no interest in changing it. Considering the number of people I see running around with both of the "Rex" items equipped, people seem to be completing them just fine, so they won't have any reason to change.

The kicker is, they even stated that they don't want people mailing them either, but couldn't stop them and still allow them to be trade-able. Just imagine what it would be like if you couldn't mail these (basically what non-VIPs go through).

It's a good idea on paper, but a poor gameplay mechanic. I mean, if you are going for realism, my toon has not slept in years! (do not implement sleep, please).
  • Options
    araxelvenaraxelven Member Posts: 72 Arc User

masteroga said:

You have to know their name and use the @ and their forum name to flag them. It doesn't matter though. They have answered the question about this and appear to have no interest in changing it. Considering the number of people I see running around with both of the "Rex" items equipped, people seem to be completing them just fine, so they won't have any reason to change.

The kicker is, they even stated that they don't want people mailing them either, but couldn't stop them and still allow them to be trade-able. Just imagine what it would be like if you couldn't mail these (basically what non-VIPs go through).

It's a good idea on paper, but a poor gameplay mechanic. I mean, if you are going for realism, my toon has not slept in years! (do not implement sleep, please).
    I don't know still how normal people manage to get those items. I've spoken to one person about it and she did it by farmig for days with a few BiS friends of hers. That's not realistic for someone with kids and a job. :/

I've suggested improvements to make hunts more viable long-term and a dev actually responded, so I encourage those who like hunting but would like to see it improve to respond there.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1234651/making-hunting-viable-in-the-long-term