test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Congratulations on the new campaign "weekly" mechanics, I REALLY love them.

lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User
Purely positive feedback: I LOVE the new "weekly" campaign mechanics. I truly love them compared to the older-style Daily Quests Per Day mechanics.

Like most players, I work a day job and have a life outside the game. With Chult, if I'm having a bad day at work, if I wind up pulling unexpected overtime, if a pet needs an emergency vet visit or if I just feel like going to see a movie on a workday, I *don't lose campaign progress*. And, like many players, I have more time to play on the weekends. I can afford to put "daily" progression off for a few days and spend a few extra hours doing several "days" at once on a Saturday if I want to, and unlike previous campaigns, I'm not punished for that.

(I still get more campaign loot if I do the Daily every day, but that's LOOT, not CAMPAIGN PROGRESS).

Anyway. This change is great and I hope future campaigns will work the same way. This is an unambiguously good alteration to the pattern.

Thanks,

Comments

• dsn1118dsn1118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
    but you still loose campaign progress. People already finished the campaing
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    dsn1118 said:

How come?
  • rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited August 2017

dsn1118 said:

How come?
    i will not name the thing here but believe me theyr metod increase the farming by at least five times and use something from Zen store or AH... i wanted to buy that by the looks but because is "bugged" i wil not get it...

anyway, unless you plan to farmn much more than the normal way and use a "bug/exploit/weird feature" it not worth te time...

PS.: i also loved the new weekly system, 3 toon with camp completed before the time i had a sundy for hunt only was really fun...
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    I wish that there were more than just the 4 quests in Camp Vengeance. I like the patrols and the weeklies but the CV ones are mind numbing. Once the middle path is done, I might skip them apart from the Trial requirement. At that point only the boons will matter to me and even so, they aren't must haves.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    I like the weekly thing but I have to admit..once I'm capped, there is little to no compelling reason to play daily for me. Normally I'm playing daily to keep up but the weekly makes it less an issue.

Overall it's good though i think.

And losing campaign progress to a questionable feature, basically abusing what has to be a bug..i can love with that.
  • hirogardehirogarde Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    pitshade said:

I wish that there were more than just the 4 quests in Camp Vengeance...

This is the only problem I find too. Those days I feel like running more than the "daily," the lack of variety in tasks makes it too "grindy." Even adding a find/kill/collect/trade (dinosaur hides for totems?) would go a long way towards easing that repetitive feel - especially if it could be run in tandem with the two active ones.
  • noworries#8859 noworries Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 651 Cryptic Developer
    Always good to hear that people are liking a change and that it is helping players enjoy the content.

Other ways to get currency are the Patrol quests from Wakanga O'tamu, treasure maps, HEs, the weeklies (which you gain a few more of as you progress up the center path), the House of the Crocodile instance, and of course the dailies. The Hunts also allow for some bonus currency which won't go towards the cap.

It is good feedback to hear that there doesn't feel like enough daily options. Ideally we'd always like to have so many options that players feel a fresh experience every time they go to the region, but time restraints are finite and we need to try to figure out the best mix of content to put together.
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User

Always good to hear that people are liking a change and that it is helping players enjoy the content.

Other ways to get currency are the Patrol quests from Wakanga O'tamu, treasure maps, HEs, the weeklies (which you gain a few more of as you progress up the center path), the House of the Crocodile instance, and of course the dailies. The Hunts also allow for some bonus currency which won't go towards the cap.

It is good feedback to hear that there doesn't feel like enough daily options. Ideally we'd always like to have so many options that players feel a fresh experience every time they go to the region, but time restraints are finite and we need to try to figure out the best mix of content to put together.

I agree with the feedback in the OP. The weekly haul is really nice compared to daily requirements that make you feel like you're constantly missing out if you don't do them (i.e. work)

I also strongly agree with the sentiment that the River does not have enough daily quest variety. Especially if you realize that those are the 4 quests that will have to be repeated most of all. The weekly prince quests (incl. 6 patrols) only get you partially up the weekly haul ladder, and additional weekly quests (I've only unlocked the Heroic Encounter one) provide totems to account for the increased weekly haul cap.

That means the rest of the weekly haul will have to be filled in mostly with CV repeatable quests. You can spread these out over a couple days, but again it feels like I'm going back into the river to just run the loop over and over, made slightly more frustrating by having to run to CV. Planning ahead really helps, so make sure you never leave River without 2 quests active so you can do them on your way to CV. At least quest objectives are politely positioned such that at least half the quests run you through T. Rex spawn/paths.

Finally, it should be noted that (again) most of the repeatable quests are essentially dps checks. Scouts and Templars are most efficiently completed by pulling the whole camp and then filling in any remaining gaps. Lost relics cannot be recovered without engaging most if not all of the mobs in the ruins. Running around the map you constantly get jumped. If you can melt the dinos that's fine, but if each dismount take 2-3min to clear then even moving around the map as a support is frustrating. I usually try to group up to do these so that I can benefit from someone else's big sword, but since the quests can get out of sync (and because lost relics spawn in a random ruin and random locations inside that ruin) the daily quests are not all that conducive to teamwork.

I know it's hard to design quests that are not dps checks, but as someone who plays Chult on 4 characters (3 support and 1 dps) the dps can complete in roughly 1/3 the time even tho she's the least geared of the lot.
  • darthtzarrdarthtzarr Member Posts: 1,003 Arc User
    I also really enjoy the new system. It feels much more rewarding, and less straining. It really opens up the ability to do the Hunts mechanics with the rest of your time (if you have any).

Part of the issue I have with the dailies is that I spend more time running through Chult getting knocked off my mount than I do actually doing the quests. If I had to spend more time (so 10-15 minutes instead of 3-8 minutes) helping out a specific area for more reward, I would have to run through the jungle a lot less, and would have to repeat the same quest over and over less.

It also doesn't allow you to get the two quests that are near to each other at the same time. You almost might as well only allow one quest to be picked up at a time, since you generally have to walk right past Camp Vengeance to reach the other quest anyways. It wouldn't feel as clunky if all 4 were given out at the same time, but it would also be quite cluttering on the map (we do it for SKT, so it wouldn't be anything new).

Signature [WIP] - tyvm John

• lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User
    dsn1118 said:

I have not lost campaign progress. Other people have invested more in the campaign, and have exceeded the weekly cap in a way I haven't, which is not the same as me losing out on a time-gate the way missing a day in SOMI or even Dread Ring was.

(I'm way behind on my free totems for Hunts, too - I've barely taken advantage of the 25-per-week-above-cap that Hunts give. I'm okay with that, and OH NOES, people who bought the Complete The Campaign Sooner Companion are completing the campaign sooner than me? I'm okay with that too.)

I want to +1 everything @dupeks said in this thread, and add a request for a quality-of-life improvement: Add the river zone to the Chult map, so we can fast-travel straight to Camp Vengeance. Chult's got that whole sub-map and the only thing on it is Port Nyanzaru, which is a weird waste of the resources required to put it together. Underdark's the same way, but there's *nowhere to go* in Underdark. There's no other map you have to go through Mantol-Derith to reach.

We can fast-travel out of the River to the Port, why can't we fast-travel back? Or travel straight to the river without needing to run through the port Zone first?
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User

I like the patrols accessible from town a lot and wish they continued to offer totems even after you run out of weekly commendations for maps. They're ideal for running when you only have a few minutes, and not being able to progress in campaigns at all when you only have a few minutes has been a plague with the last few releases.

Unfortunately, the River quests do get old in a hurry. There's also the issue of if you're trying to do these with a buddy, the random location for recovering idols has meant running the quest twice, as we've never gotten the same location for it. I'm not sure if one of us could drop and retake 'til we get the same, but if it's coded like Bruenor's dailes, you're stuck with the same thing until you do it, and not party friendly at all.

It also doesn't allow you to get the two quests that are near to each other at the same time. You almost might as well only allow one quest to be picked up at a time, since you generally have to walk right past Camp Vengeance to reach the other quest anyways. It wouldn't feel as clunky if all 4 were given out at the same time, but it would also be quite cluttering on the map (we do it for SKT, so it wouldn't be anything new).

I agree with this so much. It's frustrating. A similar thing happened with the Elemental Evil rework, where turning it into a series of fixed missions assigned in pairs made the entire thing far less efficient to run because you could no longer select quests that naturally group together (and run 4 at a time). This is also a sin committed with SKT and SoMI, where a day's "set" of quests in a zone are often geographically separated, but there you can correct for it by skipping a day of progress to regroup them to be more efficient to complete overall. In brief, wasting our time on excessive travel is kind of mean. (Though I'm pretty good at getting around the Soshenstar River, learning which spawns I can avoid and which I have to stop and fight, and such.)
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User

It also doesn't allow you to get the two quests that are near to each other at the same time.

I was able to screw up my questing a little bit by only completing 1 quest and then going back to CV to turn in and pick up the replacement. So with a little bit of effort I think you can at least get 2 of 4 quests to align... but I agree it's still clunky.
    dupeks said:

It also doesn't allow you to get the two quests that are near to each other at the same time.

I was able to screw up my questing a little bit by only completing 1 quest and then going back to CV to turn in and pick up the replacement. So with a little bit of effort I think you can at least get 2 of 4 quests to align... but I agree it's still clunky.
    Some of them combo well. Templars + Undead, for example: there's a straight mostly-monster-free line to the templars, then sweep around the bottom of the map clearing undead, and the last stop is at camp. Templars + Relics, Scouts+Relics, or Undead + Relics CAN line up reasonably - and if I get, say, Scouts and Templars, I do scouts, come back, and now I hopefully have Templars + Undead.
  • meiramimeirami Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 423 Arc User
    I agree with the OP. I love the change from dailies to a weekly progress bar and hope that upcoming modules follow suit.

Of course there are many other nice things, too: the possibility to solo or duo dungeons, the new craftable gear that's inexpensive to make (and great for alts), the overall theme, etc. The only thing I'm not terribly fond of is the drop rate of T-Rex fangs and that is supposed to be improved soon-ish, so overall, I think it's a really good module.
  • nisckisnisckis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 655 Arc User
    I join too saying that I love this way of campaign progression, this way I can focus on doing it at one day and then I can relax, run dungeons and do some hunting =)
  • zomak#4611 zomak Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    I also love the weekly haul method of progression.
  • andorrabellandorrabell Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 437 Arc User
    +1 this is a lovely change. Thank you Cryptic.
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    I would love it if my comp didnt crash and lag so much in Chult :smile: