test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mod 12 (Mob DR)

thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
Here is a table of mobs I have tested so far in the new zone:

Things to note:

TRex DR is weird he has 2 phases, 1 where he is at 175% DR, which is very hard to pierce. The second phase he is vulnerable and takes greatly increased damage. I am not sure yet how vulnerable he is. It is a real pain to test this because he spawns very rarely and often another player will kill him first :/

Some mobs have red shields and have massively increased dr, this mechanic will also need further testing to determine how it works.

I have probably missed some mobs, they are very densely packed and its hard to see every mob type, but more than 60% DR is definitely a thing.

All in all, my 1 complaint about mod 12 so far is the ambush mechanic is SUPER irritating, otherwise I actually quite enjoy the new zone and I think this is a positive change to the game.
Post edited by thefabricant on

Comments

• checkmatein3checkmatein3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 525 Arc User
    Sharp, I don't see the Yuan Ti destroyer on your list. Can you test that one? I was hitting it with Anvil and it was only doing about 18k dmg with crit.
    LEVIATHAN--19.3k Metallic Dragonborn Guardian Fighter Swordmaster Loadouts

Guild--And the Imaginary Friends

• thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User

Sharp, I don't see the Yuan Ti destroyer on your list. Can you test that one? I was hitting it with Anvil and it was only doing about 18k dmg with crit.

@checkmatein3 done
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    So looks like around 80% arpen will do for most everything..?
    No idea what my toon is now.
    jonkoca said:

So looks like around 80% arpen will do for most everything..?

Not sure of this yet, remember, this is open world and not the new dungeon.
  • smulchsmulch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 625 Arc User
    I'm not sure I understand that spreadsheet.

How much DR did you run with?
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    80% would make sense, I was kinda expecting it to be in the 70-80% range. I'll keep checking here for updates, I'm passing the info on to my alliance via FB group.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • michela123michela123 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    If you test Karkinos, the boss crab at the beginning, no one will disturb you.
    smulch said:

@smulch that isn't relevant, I am checking how much DR the monsters have, the RI column was how much RI had during that particular sampling since I checked some monsters with multiple RI values to see how it behaved, or if a monster had excessive amounts of DR.
  • checkmatein3checkmatein3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 525 Arc User

@checkmatein3 done

Thanks Mate!

LEVIATHAN--19.3k Metallic Dragonborn Guardian Fighter Swordmaster Loadouts

Guild--And the Imaginary Friends

I guess I'll use my old gwf sigil, loyal avenger gear and legacy axebeak for the day to day stuff, and the SH boon on top for the big boys if necessary. Thanx for all the testing as ever sharp.
  • smulchsmulch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 625 Arc User

smulch said:

@smulch that isn't relevant, I am checking how much DR the monsters have, the RI column was how much RI had during that particular sampling since I checked some monsters with multiple RI values to see how it behaved, or if a monster had excessive amounts of DR.
    It's relevant in the sense that I needed to know how to read that spreadsheet :P
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    smulch said:

smulch said:

It's relevant in the sense that I needed to know how to read that spreadsheet :P
    I think he meant that how much he had did not impact on his ability to measure it - so the end value of "DR" is a statement of their DR regardless of his ability to penetrate it.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
    edited June 2017
    I checked my arpen levels yesterday, from avenger pet bondings, legacy axebeak, and stronghold boons, I hit a high of 187%. Flipping an SH boon choice from power to arpen between phases is doable.
    This is the result of the test I've done yesterday with Karkinos.
    At the beginning his DR is 124%. If you have between 0 and 44% resistance ignored, you hit him with 20% effectiveness, then you finally start increasing the damage; with 124% resistance ignored you reach 100% effectiveness.
    I am not sure how you break the shield. My guess is that your chance progressively increases as you damage him. Usually you break it between 90% and 80% hp. During this phase, he is knocked down and you hit him with increased effectiveness for 10 seconds. When he gets up he has 124% DR, but you can break the shield again.
    During the vulnerability phase:
    - with 0 resistance ignored, you hit him with 196% effectiveness
    - every 1% resistance ignored adds 2,578947% effectiveness
    - with 24% resistance ignored you reach the cap, that is 257,8947% effectiveness
    Note: you obtain 2,578947 dividing 196 by 76.
  • imperiousshiniimperiousshini Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 199 Arc User
    Arm Pen levels that need Legacy Axe Beak + SH boon + Avenger Set to be pierced, are a bit extraordinary, I don't think Devs should aim in having players using extinct items to be the new mobs.

Other than that the ordinary Arm Pen levels of 75% or 80% is ok.
    But for the rest of the mob values that have 175-180DR I think a shield or temp Hit Points would work better than having the DR going up and down temporarily.
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User

Arm Pen levels that need Legacy Axe Beak + SH boon + Avenger Set to be pierced, are a bit extraordinary, I don't think Devs should aim in having players using extinct items to be the new mobs.

Other than that the ordinary Arm Pen levels of 75% or 80% is ok.
    But for the rest of the mob values that have 175-180DR I think a shield or temp Hit Points would work better than having the DR going up and down temporarily.

I don't think that the "boost" DR levels are meant to be penetrated.

I don't really have an issue with using these temporary DR boosts as a new type of combat mechanic. It's akin to various invulnerability mechanics that bosses have, but a little different. The key is you have to figure out how to make the enemy drop their shield. Existing invulnerability mechanics usually do that through some external interaction (red wolf in eGWD, tears in Nostura / mSP) and this new "boost DR" mechanic allows for a new twist: "do enough damage through high DR to stagger and then the bad guy drops his shield and loses the DR".

I also like that it appears that they are making it pretty convenient to swap over from power to ArPen SH boons, and for a majority of end-game players that should allow them to for the most part deal with the new zone without having to completely rebuild around it (at least for now, until we get more content like that).
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    dupeks said:

I also like that it appears that they are making it pretty convenient to swap over from power to ArPen SH boons

They still need to be careful that they are not designing content around the assumption that everyone trying to play that content has access to maxed-out SH boons. And that basically goes for as long as NW's lifespan runs. There will never be sufficient deterrent for some players to try to make a go of a new guild, no matter how much the ones that are currently behind are helped in catching up.

Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User

dupeks said:

I also like that it appears that they are making it pretty convenient to swap over from power to ArPen SH boons

They still need to be careful that they are not designing content around the assumption that everyone trying to play that content has access to maxed-out SH boons. And that basically goes for as long as NW's lifespan runs. There will never be sufficient deterrent for some players to try to make a go of a new guild, no matter how much the ones that are currently behind are helped in catching up.

That's a good point, and one I think I have a tendency to overlook personally. I don't think that SH boons need to be maxed out for the swapping to make sense (it's dramatic overkill at least for the zone, we'll see about dungeon), but you're right that they shouldn't build around the SH boons being needed at any level.

I suppose you have mounts with ArPen too that can help. According to Sharp's heavily caveated and hedged preliminary findings, it appears that the new base DR for new mobs in the zone (not the dugeon) gets bumped to 75% up from 60%. Anything higher is really a new "boost DR" mechanic where there's some way to pierce their armor back down via combat mechanics. That's 15% meaning 1,500 ArPen stat points, which you could get by switching to one of the epic ArPen mount passives. Or a piece of gear / enchant on a bonding companion.
    I shouldn't have said maxed-out, and even my wee guild is going to have a viable option to swap between armor pen and power by the time this launches.

I'd say they always have to operate from the position that equipment on your character will be capable of providing adequate resistance ignored, even if that does require choosing gear that's doesn't have so much sexy power/crit/recovery. Switching one mount bonus to another assumes you have an array of epic mounts to be able to do so... and they should fully realize for how many players the Siegebreaker Griffon is their first epic.

Likewise bonding companion gear providing armor pen. PC players who've been able to keep their old Loyal Avenger items in use are at a significant advantage over console players, though at least armor pen does roll on IG items.

And of course there's no accounting for clueless players who apparently interact with nobody and aren't interested in doing any research. I inspected a CW yesterday who was running in Dread Ring with several ardent coin elixir buffs, res sickness (this combination is why I checked him out), and a big fat 775 armor penetration. If they're going to add more sources of freebie artifacts, they should consider slapping armor pen on them as a dump stat not wanted by players who carefully plan their entire layout, instead of regen and deflection. Make it a QoL improvement in a greater sense than the sheer existence of something to fill empty artifact slots.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Adding mechanics that drop shields like prones, stuns, or other types of cc, would make life more interesting than just blow the mob up and move on.

Think of it this way, if I were to fight a dino in RL, I would trip the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> as it would be very hard for him to get back up.

If that is the intent, then more power to the devs.
    Or people are toppling the dino and think they've proned it because they didn't know what they were looking at. Hard to say.

Neverwinter Census 2017

asterdahl said:

It may please some of you in this thread to know that in a future preview build, or at least by the live build, the target dummies in Port Nyanzaru have been updated. One represents an average enemy in Chult in terms of its defensive statistics, the other represents a Tomb of the Nine Gods boss. They have both been given visually distinct masks and sizes.

@asterdahl this is amazing, THANKS!
  • nisckisnisckis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 655 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

It may please some of you in this thread to know that in a future preview build, or at least by the live build, the target dummies in Port Nyanzaru have been updated. One represents an average enemy in Chult in terms of its defensive statistics, the other represents a Tomb of the Nine Gods boss. They have both been given visually distinct masks and sizes.

I do love you
  • fizgigtiznalkie#4436 fizgigtiznalkie Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Now if only we could get a scoreboard with personal damage counter and timer so we could test loadouts on it... any chance you could re-use the portabello assets? (I'm on console).
    So, the boss dummy has 85% DR. Anyway we'll directly test the new dungeon soon :)