test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: M12 Armor Pen and Damage Vulnerability Debuff Changes

rgutscheradevrgutscheradev Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 186 Cryptic Developer
With the Chult release, we’ve done a revamp of the Armor Pen system and some related systems. The original purpose of the revamp was to relieve a bit of the lag on the servers (the old armor pen system was very server intensive). But we’ve used the opportunity to make a few design changes that we had been wanting to make.

Some of those changes are PvP-related and are discussed in a separate thread:
https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1231983/official-feedback-thread-m12-armor-pen-changes-and-pvp

The other big change is a revamp to how damage vulnerability debuffs work (powers like the Lantern of Revelation’s “enemies take 12% more damage for 6 seconds”).

Here’s how those powers used to work:
* There was a hard cap of +200% bonus total damage from such powers
* A few (more or less random) powers weren’t part of that hardcap
* Tooltips added to the confusion by sometimes referring to these powers as “reducing enemy damage resistance” and sometimes as “enemies take X% more damage” (this had nothing to do with whether they were hardcapped or not, and was just an inconsistent phrasing choice).
The system as a whole was not great, because it was very confusing and inconsistent. For beginning players, the fact that a power labeled as “reduces enemy damage resistance” could result in you doing more than 100% damage (something that does not happen with Armor Penetration, although it's described in a similar way) was not at all intuitive. For players doing the hardest group content, it was necessary to learn which powers were in the hardcap group, get to +200% with those powers, and then stack as many of the miscellaneous uncapped powers as possible. Also, there was a feeling among many players that the minor +% damage powers in the capped group were basically worthless because groups would reach the hardcap with the big +% damage powers.

Here’s how things work now:
* The +200% hard cap is gone. Every additional debuff will help at least a little.
* There are diminishing returns capped at +300% bonus damage from these debuffs, ie, diminishing returns to bonus damage so that the total can never exceed (or even quite reach) +300%.
** Just to give a rough idea, at +1% to +60%, you won’t see much if any change. At +100%, you’ll get reduced to +92%. At +200% (the old hardcap) you’ll be at about +160%, and so on.
** Note bonus damage from Power and from various buffs on the attacker is not part of this system, and hasn’t changed in any way.
* Tooltips have been clarified to phrase everything as “enemies take more damage” to make it clear that (unlike with Armor Penetration) you CAN overcome an enemy’s defenses and do more than 100% damage.
Our intention with the new system is for all damage vulnerability debuff powers to have a chance to be relevant (without just breaking the game), and to have the whole system clearer and easier to understand.

How You Can Help
Here are some things to look out for:
* Armor Pen itself is working correctly (in the same way it did before).
* Powers that make enemies take more damage work, and are described in a clear and consistent way.
* Powers that make enemies take more damage interact correctly with Armor Pen (as before, you should get the benefits of both).
Note that no individual powers are meant to have been buffed or nerfed with these changes (beyond what’s described above). So if you see an individual power whose behavior has changed, definitely let us know about that!
Post edited by rgutscheradev on

Comments

• adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    I foresee a lot of experimenting in the near future....and things suddenly got a lot more interesting - for example for someone like me who is primarily a buffer/debuffer.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • lwedarlwedar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 790 Arc User
    * There is a softcap at +300% bonus damage from these debuffs, ie, diminishing returns to bonus damage so that the total can never exceed (or even quite reach) +300%

Am I reading this wrong or is this really a hard cap of 300%?
    "we all love this game and want it to thrive"
  • vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    lwedar said:

* There is a softcap at +300% bonus damage from these debuffs, ie, diminishing returns to bonus damage so that the total can never exceed (or even quite reach) +300%

That's how I read it too.

So even though you can stack as much debuffs as you want, the soft cap will kick in, and never actually let you reach +300% ... which is essentially a hard cap??
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
    Still, these changes will be interesting to test. :)
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
  • mattmonroemattmonroe Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Can anyone dumb this down and tell me how this will affect straight arpen/RI? Is this saying we will need to now stack RI higher than the current standard? (60%) or do we now need more than 60% RI to get where we used to be at 60%.
    edited June 2017

Can anyone dumb this down and tell me how this will affect straight arpen/RI? Is this saying we will need to now stack RI higher than the current standard? (60%) or do we now need more than 60% RI to get where we used to be at 60%.

I don't know if that was discussed, but it seems like Armor Pen should be the same in PvE:

* Armor Pen itself is working correctly (in the same way it did before)

• irumozoneirumozone Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Sound a lot like a soft cap at 60% and a hard cap at 300% since you won't be able to reach it. So will armor pen work the same way or not? I am confuse. Why would they even mention it, if it is the same it was?
  • frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    lwedar said:

Not quite, it's impossible to cross a hard cap, so even if you manage to get to, say, 305% (after DR), it'll be 300. But soft cap can be beaten, but is immensely hard... Maybe in things like Tiamat.
    FrozenFire
  • theraxin#5169 theraxin Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    If someone got, can tell me how effective will be 250% or 300% base bonus will be? These does not seem like number that I can reach with my debuffer alone, but interested
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    lwedar said:

I interpret this as "the debuff can asymptotically approach 300% but never quite reach it." The way I use the term, that would be a hard cap.

Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    To get to the 300% cap, you will have to stack more (input guess) than 300%. So the real hard cap will be some amount higher than the 300% "softcap".

SHARPIE will have a field day with this.
  • hastati96hastati96 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    thanks you so much for changes!
    Nero - Palacetamol - Essence of Aggression
  • oria1oria1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Did some tests and I can tell you that things are looking pretty good in my opinion, specially for MoF debuffers. Some slight changes and we are going to be able to help the party we are in, even more now. There are a couple of issues that I need to pm a Dev about and though we need to wait and let time pass as there might be more additions / changes, I feel overall a very positive change and its most welcome!!

Voodoo - MoF debuffer
    Atlantes - SW Temploc
    Borland - GWF

• firebreath86firebreath86 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Since they phrase it as 'never be able to quite reach 300%' the new hard cap is less than 300%. As in 299,999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999..... well ..... you get the idea ;)
    Thats assuming it works as they described.
  • oria1oria1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 263 Arc User
    Not really, managed to get 309.4 but that's why I wanted to talk to a Dev.

• adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Interesting. Most open world monsters are total pushovers...pretty much like SoMI, but the only exception I have found so far is the T-Rex.

When my bondings kick in, I hve 59.9% RI....and this is what I get:

[Combat (Self)] Your Fire of the Gods deals 3451 (10209) Physical Damage to Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Ouch.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • flyingleonflyingleon Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    I like a more consistent and less confusing system, because a new player can easily understand a debuff power without digging into a guide.

Join the Greycloaks

Ana-GWF SM Destroyer | Farseer-CW MoF Renegade | Leon-GF SM Tactician
    Adrik Battlefate-DC DO Virtuous | Cassi Woodsheart-HR PF Trapper
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    To tack onto Michela's question about some debuffs losing effectiveness against enemies as they scale up and some not (I was gonna pose this if nobody else had), what about the inconsistency of debuffs that are allowed to stack with themselves vs. ones that are not? I don't mean ones where you literally apply stacks, but some debuffs allow multiple applications of the same debuff to affect a target and many others do not.

With the capping you're looking at putting in place, does it make sense to let everything stack even if you have two players in a group with Trans Plaguefire, for example? Although this poses some risk of a consensus that one enchant becomes BiS due to the biggest debuff and not needing to diversify, it also simplifies gameplay where players without access to multiple enchants don't have to fret that the one they own will be irrelevant due to duplication.

Or does it make more sense to only have one debuff from any specific source be able to be in effect because there are so many sources and the intent is that none will be less relevant due to capping?

There are some bugs with debuff weapon enchants right now too that I'll have to dig up reference threads for later if someone doesn't beat me to it. Things like first Plaguefire rank debuff being applied taking precedence over highest rank possible.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • wintermurlocwintermurloc Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    I tested a lot of stuff important for me and while all this seems nice and fine , ill reserve judgement till the dungeon becomes accessible at preview.. There are a few discrepancies and its quite possible to get over 300%. None of the older content really requires this but perhaps the tomb of the nine gods may be challenging ( i truly hope so) and might require this.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    It's not about whether or not more stacking of debuffs is required at all, but about creating a system that's more consistent and intuitive but doesn't punish players who were using the inconsistent system to utmost effect previously.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    For those who are saying it is quite possible to get over 300% I am curious as to how you are achieving this.

For reference:

This was while I was testing to see how debuffs are Scaling as I approach 300%. The final thing on that list is:

2x Swath of Destruction, Lantern of Revelation, Combustive Action, Daring Shout, Divine Glow, Terror, 2x Ray of Enfeeblement, Bitter Cold, 5x sellsword debuff (they still stack), weapon master's strike.

I checked on the WMS hit itself and the effectiveness with all of those debuffs up is 287.17%. So, if it is quite possible (and something you can reasonably do in a 5 man team) to stack debuffs over 300% I am really interested in knowing how you do it, since keeping up all those debuffs is not something easy to do and it clearly takes something other than the debuffs on that list to reach 300%.

I really want to see a team of 5 manage to keep up 300% effectiveness, consistently, in a dungeon run.
    Post edited by thefabricant on
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited June 2017

For those who are saying it is quite possible to get over 300% I am curious as to how you are achieving this.

For reference:

This was while I was testing to see how debuffs are Scaling as I approach 300%. The final thing on that list is:

2x Swath of Destruction, Lantern of Revelation, Combustive Action, Daring Shout, Divine Glow, Terror, 2x Ray of Enfeeblement, Bitter Cold, 5x sellsword debuff (they still stack), weapon master's strike.

I checked on the WMS hit itself and the effectiveness with all of those debuffs up is 287.17%. So, if it is quite possible (and something you can reasonably do in a 5 man team) to stack debuffs over 300% I am really interested in knowing how you do it, since keeping up all those debuffs is not something easy to do and it clearly takes something other than the debuffs on that list to reach 300%.

I really want to see a team of 5 manage to keep up 300% effectiveness, consistently, in a dungeon run.

The 2.3, 3.435 are accurate ? It doesn't fit well, if you do this again, can you please add more points at the 2.3 - 3.435 range. And higher.
    I see at least 0.21 more that can be added there ;)

Also I think better to test only what was capped buffs, I'm not sure if all the uncapped are now also go into this or some does and some doesn't.

Or can we get the actual function for level 70 chars?
    Post edited by micky1p00 on
    micky1p00 said:

For reference:

The 2.3, 3.435 are accurate ? It doesn't fit well, if you do this again, can you please add more points at the 2.3 - 3.435 range. And higher.
    I see at least 0.21 more that can be added there ;)

Also I think better to test only what was capped buffs, I'm not sure if all the uncapped are now also go into this or some does and some doesn't.

Or can we get the actual function for level 70 chars?
    @micky1p00 I would love to but sadly it is very difficult to co-ordinate stuff like that. I am all up for it though if I can get help from other players.
    edited June 2017
    @rgutscheradev I would like to clarify something, is the hard cap at Base Effectiveness*(1+300%) or at Base Effectiveness*(1+200%)?

The reason I ask is because you state that at +100% you gain 92% effectiveness and then go on to specify that at +200% (the old hard cap you gain 160%. At the values for the old hard cap, I have an effectiveness of 192% (which is matching 100% less than the value in your post) and at an expected effectiveness of 300%, I get values of 257% (which is roughly 160% more than base.) This leads me to believe you actually mean the hard cap is at 400% (1+300%) and everyone here is confused because of this.

Although really tbh, I think we would all just rather you provided us with a function.
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited June 2017
    oria1 said:

Not really, managed to get 309.4 but that's why I wanted to talk to a Dev.

Feel free to PM me, @nitocris83, or one of the other moderators with the issue (we're all added if you PM any of us) if you're concerned about the specifics for some reason (e.g. current exploit on live that impacts this topic). However, at this stage, it's fine to report a bug with repro details here.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    This seems great news, even without companions/ bondings rework i guess we'll start to see some other companions around =) .....hopefully not only fire archons.
    Post edited by treesclimber on