test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PWE / Cryptic official announcments on twitter / facebook

micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
edited June 2017 in Player Feedback (PC)
It's been quite a few times now that official announcement or updates are made on twitter and or facebook, but not on the forums. Please post any gameplay relevant updates first and foremost on the official platform which is the forums.
I think it's not appropriate from the PWE community management to assume everyone have facebook / twitter accounts that they want to use for the game purposes. We do all have ARC accounts to play the game and access the forums, and this should be the common platform.

Thank you for the updates, but it will be great to take the one step more, and few minutes and post on the forums at the news section.

-----------
Mod Note: edited out links and reference to moderated material. Mobile code is broken, so mod note didn't appear initially.
Post edited by zebular on

Comments

• Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    100% Agreed. I refuse to make a twitter or facebook account just for updates related to this game. @nitocris83 this should be something that you bring up, since the fact that the official platform for communication is failing to communicate stuff is unacceptable.
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    I occasionally look at facebook, but not for Neverwinter information. I DO always read the forums here.
  • Options
    hammbo1969hammbo1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 165 Arc User
    +1
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    I am way too busy in real life to have to search for game info/news. I stay up to date through the forums, as do a large segment of your PAYING customers.
  • Options
    ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    +1

Updates should be made on the forums and then you can post a link on social media. Why you wouldn't want to drive traffic to your website boggles me.
  • Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    Completely agree.

But I get it, it's hard to coordinate communication channels. So at least there should be public-accessible links to the announcements placed on the forums. Neither twitter nor facebook require an account to view public pages / tweets, so at least links to any official communication should be posted on the forums.
  • Options
    tom#6998 tom Member Posts: 952 Arc User
    +9000
  • Options
    spideymtspideymt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 710 Arc User
    I dont have twitter or facebook and i dont wanna have twitter/facebook. I will see infos in the forum. So
    /100% agree

• Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    > @dupeks said:
    > Completely agree.
    >
    > But I get it, it's hard to coordinate communication channels. So at least there should be public-accessible links to the announcements placed on the forums. Neither twitter nor facebook require an account to view public pages / tweets, so at least links to any official communication should be posted on the forums.

I don't understand why it's so difficult type a url in your browser and use their search function to find Neverwinter's account. Just posting in this thread takes more time. I could understand if you had some sort of principled stance against using social media but saying you don't have time or that it's difficult to find the infoon social media is ridiculous.

They use twitter and facebook because they can update them quickly, they're seen by more people, and their posts don't get buried as easily.

Frankly people complaining about this sound like old people yelling at kids to get off their lawn.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    urabask said:

> @dupeks said:

Completely agree.

But I get it, it's hard to coordinate communication channels. So at least there should be public-accessible links to the announcements placed on the forums. Neither twitter nor facebook require an account to view public pages / tweets, so at least links to any official communication should be posted on the forums.

I don't understand why it's so difficult type a url in your browser and use their search function to find Neverwinter's account. Just posting in this thread takes more time. I could understand if you had some sort of principled stance against using social media but saying you don't have time or that it's difficult to find the infoon social media is ridiculous.

They use twitter and facebook because they can update them quickly, they're seen by more people, and their posts don't get buried as easily.

Frankly people complaining about this sound like old people yelling at kids to get off their lawn.

It's only about centralization, how many links I should check and follow ?
    I only use one single link http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussions

Why I need to bookmark 3,4 or how many and check those. It takes a minute to post on the forums. Exactly the same text. If they want to notification on facebook, twitter, snapchat, instagram or even open NW tinder account, why not, it's a service for those that use those platforms but please don't ask me to follow them to get updates.
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited June 2017

urabask said:

I don't understand why it's so difficult type a url in your browser and use their search function to find Neverwinter's account.

The sad fact is that none of the notification methods are updated with the same information or at the same time. Twitter gets certain updates, maybe the forums get the same, maybe they don't, maybe facebook doesn't get updated.

To say that users should have to go to 3 different sites/apps and hope they find the info they want is bad business. Mind you, I do go to twitter and use the site. I refuse to go on facebook and that's my preference. I'm not advocating that they don't use all mediums. Just that the information MATCHES. It's kind of part of the job when you're marketing to people.

To me, it's as simple as this is the hub and where news should be posted. If the servers are down, a post goes up on forums, a tweet goes out, a fb update gets posted. You don't pick and choose where you update people today.

The forums aren't the hub though. For any given game the players that check the forums are a single digit percentage of the player population. I'd say you're lucky if that's at 5%. And they're the more dedicated players. So you're basically saying that the players that spend the most amount of time playing the game are going through some sort of arduous trial by having to checking twitter every month or so when the servers go on the fritz. Oh the horror.

I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    urabask said:

urabask said:

I don't understand why it's so difficult type a url in your browser and use their search function to find Neverwinter's account.

The sad fact is that none of the notification methods are updated with the same information or at the same time. Twitter gets certain updates, maybe the forums get the same, maybe they don't, maybe facebook doesn't get updated.

To say that users should have to go to 3 different sites/apps and hope they find the info they want is bad business. Mind you, I do go to twitter and use the site. I refuse to go on facebook and that's my preference. I'm not advocating that they don't use all mediums. Just that the information MATCHES. It's kind of part of the job when you're marketing to people.

To me, it's as simple as this is the hub and where news should be posted. If the servers are down, a post goes up on forums, a tweet goes out, a fb update gets posted. You don't pick and choose where you update people today.

The forums aren't the hub though. For any given game the players that check the forums are a single digit percentage of the player population. I'd say you're lucky if that's at 5%. And they're the more dedicated players. So you're basically saying that the players that spend the most amount of time playing the game are going through some sort of arduous trial by having to checking twitter every month or so when the servers go on the fritz. Oh the horror.

This is getting a little circular, but I think part of the challenge is that currently there is no consistency.

Sometimes stuff does get posted to the forums. Other times twitter. Who even knows about facebook.

It sounds like you don't care that there isn't a clearly defined and consistent communication channel. That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion.

To me (and others in this thread, apparently) that's not fine. It is frustrating that I have to check multiple places to see the whole picture. It's frustrating that in order to comment I'd need to sign up for additional social media accounts (which I am against and don't use, FWIW).

Playing the game gives me a forum account, and the forum has a section dedicated to news / announcements. I think that makes it the most sensible place to put official communications (and discuss / comment / add context to them). If they also want to broadcast from twitter or facebook, that's great but those should be in addition to the forums.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter that most players don't visit the forums, these forums are the official platform for the game and the most sensible place to put official communication. I think that the goal shouldn't be solely to maximize message reach, but instead to make it really easy to know what official communication has taken place about a particular issue. That necessitates a clearly defined and consistent communication channel.
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    But what should we check? Twitter or facebook or snapchat???? Really!
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    Carrier Pidgeon
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2017
    Back when I worked for Stratics, our Content Delivery System was centralized. All news was posted to the news site and it automatically created a Forum Thread that referenced a snippet of the article and linked to the article as a whole. This was back some 15 years ago, give or take, so I am quite sure the same could be set up in this day and age to parse it to Twitter and even Facebook. So, in short, have the Content Delivery System be centralized on the main web site and when posted there, it will parse it appropriately and automatically to the appropriate Forum, Twitter, and Facebook. This would not only bring ease to the delivery of News by game Staff but also deliver it to Neverwinter's three main social platforms for players all in one shot.
  • Options
    zebular said:

Back when I worked for Stratics, our Content Delivery System was centralized. All news was posted to the news site and it automatically created a Forum Thread that referenced a snippet of the article and linked to the article as a whole. The same could be set up to parse it to Twitter and even Facebook. So, in short, have the Content Delivery System be centralized on the main web site and when posted there, it will parse it appropriately and automatically to the appropriate Forum, Twitter, and Facebook.

That's a phenomenal idea, has it been suggested to the CM? If so, was there any appetite for it? Maybe it's time to follow up <3

But yes, if it were used consistently, such a centralized Content Delivery System would perfectly address the complaint in this thread.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    dupeks said:

zebular said:

Back when I worked for Stratics, our Content Delivery System was centralized. All news was posted to the news site and it automatically created a Forum Thread that referenced a snippet of the article and linked to the article as a whole. The same could be set up to parse it to Twitter and even Facebook. So, in short, have the Content Delivery System be centralized on the main web site and when posted there, it will parse it appropriately and automatically to the appropriate Forum, Twitter, and Facebook.

That's a phenomenal idea, has it been suggested to the CM? If so, was there any appetite for it? Maybe it's time to follow up <3

But yes, if it were used consistently, such a centralized Content Delivery System would perfectly address the complaint in this thread.</p>
    I suggested it back to our first CM and again to the second. I don't think I ever suggested it to any other CMs there-after but I will for sure bring it up again.

• Options
    spideymtspideymt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 710 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

spideymt said:

I dont have twitter or facebook and i dont wanna have twitter/facebook. I will see infos in the forum. So
    /100% agree

Are you able to see these links without making accounts? https://twitter.com/NeverwinterGame https://www.facebook.com/NeverwinterGame/ You are free to bookmark them, without making an account. If you can't see them, let me know, I'll bring it up with Julia.
    Sure im able to see it, but i wont. So? I dont wanna go to twitter/facefack to search for infos. I got a forum.

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    As somebody who actively hates social media I am inclined to agree...

However I also know this is basically the future. I waged this war years ago with other game companies when they started encouraging me to make tweeter accounts and fudgebook accounts.

The issue is dedicated game forums and websites are on their way out. It's easier for them to reach large amounts of people by posting to twitter and facebook.

Should it be on the main page? Sure. But again you are not the first people to fight this. I had a decade head start on you all and my war ended miserably. I feel for you.

I truly wish social media of all forms were wiped off this planet. When I read the book The Circle I said "Damn straight Mercer!" to everything he said and gritted my teeth while reading the brainwashed nonsense of the main character. However, like Mercer, I accepted defeat 10 years ago. This isn't a fight worth fighting. Social media will always get more love going forward from EVERY game company.
  • Options
    oria1oria1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 263 Arc User
    micky1p00 said:

It's been quite a few times now that official announcement or updates are made on twitter and or facebook, but not on the forums. Please post any gameplay relevant updates first and foremost on the official platform which is the forums.
    I think it's not appropriate from the PWE community management to assume everyone have facebook / twitter accounts that they want to use for the game purposes. We do all have ARC accounts to play the game and access the forums, and this should be the common platform.

Thank you for the updates, but it will be great to take the one step more, and few minutes and post on the forums at the news section..

100% behind this. Micky is right here. Logic says we should have 1 location for getting the news and announcements from the game company and that should be the official game site/forums. Anything else is of added value but should not be "forced" upon the people to check.

• Options
    sasagerusasageru Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    I avoid social media like the plague, so I find it a little frustrating.

Zebulars idea of a linked news system is excellent and would make total sense and be consistent.

I understand that these forums may not be the first place people check anymore but it still makes sense that updates and news be posted in them as well as social media channels.
    DPS Rogue | Heal/Buff Cleric

• Options
    nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    Problem is, a high number of followers on each and every social media platform give a bigger bonus to some people.
    Why should they make your life easier and miss out the opportunity to make money?
    We are already hooked and lost our right to be treated with kindness!
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • Options
    ravenskyaravenskya Member Posts: 1,891 Arc User

Problem is, a high number of followers on each and every social media platform give a bigger bonus to some people.
    Why should they make your life easier and miss out the opportunity to make money?
    We are already hooked and lost our right to be treated with kindness!

The reality is that there are a lot of people that ebb and flow on the game. They play for a while then get bored and wander off. The social media is to catch THOSE people's attention to get them back to the game and hopefully spending money. So yes it would make perfect sense to put the same freakin info out on all of their media so that they could hopefully catch the eye of the largest number of people hoping to draw them back in and get them to spend money.
    Founding Member of "Wrong Side of the Stronghold"
    Ravenskya - TR / Krisha Chaos - OP / Waffles - GF / Dex Domitor - HR
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP