test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My experience with Masterwork Profession

karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
As the thread title says, I will simply write my personal experience down with the Masterwork Professions

The start of Masterwork Professions felt okay. Creating only some rare items to get the new recipes didn't felt that tidious and reasonable. I did it first via Jewelcraft on my old Trickster Rogue Main because I thought to have more choice with rings seems cool and also i could make a bit AD out of it and maybe help some of my guildmates with their stat progression.

First Masterwork Task felt grindy, i needed to refine gold ore to gold nuggets with only a 20% chance to complete it. But okay, I did this, I also used a few events like double guild marks and double profession ressources to get the necessary resources. On this character i gave up on the second Task.
At this point I spend about 2 month to get the necessary gold nuggets. Part 2 simply was like: Give me Gold Nuggets (same amount as before) AND a few Gold Bars which consume 2 Gold Nuggets and has only 20% chance to complete. Also it needed another really hard to create Masterwork Resource from Alchemy.
And as I looked up the prices for this alchemy resource on the Auctionhouse I was like: I can never pay so much constantly to create it, I must produce it and then again to spend about 1-2 month on this profession was for me a very disappointing experience and I didn't bothered on Masterwork Professions.

That was the time where Masterwork 1 was pretty new. I also made a short break from the game and came back and decided to play als Oathbound Paladin because I kinda liked the class and after 3 years of Trickster Rogue I wanted something different. After gearing up and the new Masterwork 2 release and that there where now merchants that helps you with the progression I was like: Okay I give it a try.

So on my Oathbound Paladin I leveled up my Alchemy because I was like: Potions sounds good to me and I remember I need some stuff from Alchemy to complete Jewelcraft on my old TR main. So I used the last double Guildmark Event to buy the necessary scrolls and used now the double profession resource event to get all necessary resources.

I used yesterday evening an special profession trader in one of our alliance guild (Shout Out At Fratellanza Italiana). And got past the first and second masterwork task (I had a few gold nuggets still on my old TR main) only to discover that I need to create a legendary book which requires a needle from Tailoring and various Masterwork resources created by Tailoring AND Jewelcrafting, which also has only a successrate of 20% at the end.

I was angry yesterday. I basically grinded the last 1-2 month again to get to Masterwork 1 only to find another wall in my way. And of course the resources are still extremly expensive because a lot of players seem to be like "Can't bothered by professions in this game".

I know professions is something you normally do in the background, but gathering all the resources for stronghold to gain enough guildmarks at a double event takes up a lot of inventory space and also I need to wait for the events. Otherwise this is not very effective and can take longer to get the necessary resources.

At this point I don't know if i want continue anymore with masterwork. I need now three different masterwork professions while tailoring is one i don't even need. And the stuff I get isn't even that good. It is a month long grind with not much of a payoff.
plat.png
Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!

Comments

• nizzde9nizzde9 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Masterwork is total fail same like PvP
    Masterwork Professions - Official Neverwinter Wiki
    Strike While the Iron is Hot (Weaponsmithing)
    Step 1:
    Obtain 12 [Adamant Bloom]
    Step 2:
    Obtain 6 [Adamant Ingot]
    Step 3:
    Obtain 1 [Laminated Adamant Blade]
    Step 4:
    Obtain 1 [Steel Chef's Knife]
    Rewards: [Masterwork Striker's Sledge], [Masterwork Weaponsmithing Recipes II], [Weaponmaster's Apron], [Weaponmaster'sGreaves]
    Step 1 ok
    Step 2 we need again 12 [Adamant Bloom] + 6 [Adamant Ingot]
    Step 3 now we again need 12 [Adamant Bloom]+6 [Adamant Ingot] + 1 [Laminated Adamant Blade]

Iam abandon quest when i spend all my money and nervs if i want go again for that quest i must start from step 1 no matter what i spend 48 [Adamant Bloom] +6[Adamant Ingot] lose all that materials for nothing + all materials what i need for that
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    The tasks as you proceed always make it look like you need to redo the earlier steps over again, however you don't. I made that mistake with my first 2 professions (alchemy, jewelcrafting) but they just show up as part of the whole task. You only need to make the new item that is introduced at each step. For example, in JC, you don't need to make the gold nuggets again with each new task.

This is a problem with their presentation of the quest sequence.
  • karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    Then why is it displayed as such in the quest-tracker???
    plat.png
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Like I said, their presentation is poor. I just went through levelling up leatherworking, and have ignored all old tasks. I'm now ready to do the final task with no issues. I've completed alchemy, jc, mailsmithing, artificing, weapons.

I was really quite, um, mad when I figured it out.
    edited June 2017
    ??? what HAMSTER presentation? that is huge bug we lose all materials , time, nerves and money
    this is not true what they doing with game . Shame

Please let the profanity filter do it's job.
    Post edited by kreatyve on
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    dont waste your time in mastercraft unless you have a heavy ad income everyday, otherwise stick to relic weapons or cloack ascendacy weapons, skt gear set or Frostborn gear , make some ad from ingredients the Mastercraft needs and sell it, not worth the time doing mastercraft if it will become obsolute in future mods, if they made mastercraft gear/weapos BIS that would be a different choice(but no they havent thought about a way to do it), basicly become end game player farm and sell and get ad/Zen for future mods.
  • karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    My main problem also with Mastercraft is: It adds nothing meaningfull.

Yes we get a new NPC which talks a bit about the Professions but there is nothing special to it. We basically buy scrolls via Guildmarks and gather resources via special nodes. No Minigame. No Storyline. Nothing.

Even if the Treasure Maps is only like a screenshot and figure out where the node is in SOMI or RV it offers various loot and feels at the start like a real treasure hunt. I liked that they added masterwork professions in the more difficult Dungeons like FBI and mSP. But aside from that it is a giant bore and grind...
    plat.png
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    My problem is the mechanic of losing time doing nothing gathering resources from maps. IMHO this is lazy and boring design.

Every masterwork resource should drop on dungeons and skimirshes. The actual mechanic is good for bots and bad for players. You should be rewarded for doing fun things not for "work"
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • matthattrmatthattr Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    It was all poorly done from concept...and hasn't improved since, from locking behind guild walls so solo players cant get there..
    To new resources you have to quest for...
    To bottable nodes...
    To undefined instructions in crafting process...
    To worthless/meaningless craft item...
    Really what's the point? Why bother and sweat over it?
    Just like so much abandoned other content in this game...pass it on and let the Dev's find some use for it.
    If nobody bothers with it, they will have to make some meaningful improvement to entice people to make the effort to use the skills.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Well, I have tier III masterwork in 3 professions (Alchemy, Jewelcrafting and Mailsmithing), and Tier II in the others - working on that.

A few observations:

First, get a Mythic Forgehammer before you even start.

Getting Tier I is easy - yes, you might have to wait a few weeks until the rare recipes you want become available, but this is a relatively painless process.

The changes introduced with Mod 11.5 make it much, much easier and cheaper to get masterwork tier II, as you can buy the first 2-3 rank items with guild marks, instead of having to settle for a 35% chance. Much less expensive, You may want to buy (or have someone make) the second-to-last item and you still have only a 35% chance to make the final item, so it may take a few tries, but that is the only real hurdle. Expensive, but not impossible.

Getting Tier III masterwork is trivial again - just spend some guild marks and buy what you need.

The problem, however, is that for the most part masterwork is only barely worth doing. The rings are good - some of them are basically BiS for certain classes/builds, but the armor is not significantly better than some items you can basically get for free. As for the Masterwork weapons, well, they can be BiS for some classes under some circumstances (if you are in a 5-man party, where everyone has them). However, some classes got a bad deal - SW, CW and DCs need weapons that use Fartouched Residuum, and that is by far rarer and more expensive than the corresponding materials for the other classes.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

My problem is the mechanic of losing time doing nothing gathering resources from maps. IMHO this is lazy and boring design.

Every masterwork resource should drop on dungeons and skimirshes. The actual mechanic is good for bots and bad for players. You should be rewarded for doing fun things not for "work"

I guess you are finished with the underdark campaign. I only buy maps for the area I'll be going to for Bruenor's daily. I'm gonna be there anyway, so...

Every masterwork resource should drop on dungeons and skimirshes.

No.

We already have some of that, and it is pretty much a disaster. I am referring to the special masterwork resources that only drop in FBI, mSVA and mSP. If you are a pure solo player, or not yet fully geared, you cannot obtain those resources directly but have to rely on the AH. The prices for those resources, in particular Fartouched Residuum, are pretty high - partly because people don't like to run mSP, for reasons I discussed in this thread.

We really do not need more resources locked behind walls like that. Masterwork is sufficiently flawed already.

Besides, it is not really that bot-friendly because of the need for guild marks to buy the maps.
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    adinosii said:

Every masterwork resource should drop on dungeons and skimirshes.

No.

We already have some of that, and it is pretty much a disaster. I am referring to the special masterwork resources that only drop in FBI, mSVA and mSP. If you are a pure solo player, or not yet fully geared, you cannot obtain those resources directly but have to rely on the AH. The prices for those resources, in particular Fartouched Residuum, are pretty high - partly because people don't like to run mSP, for reasons I discussed in this thread.

We really do not need more resources locked behind walls like that. Masterwork is sufficiently flawed already.

Besides, it is not really that bot-friendly because of the need for guild marks to buy the maps.
    I wont comment about the bots and guilds because.... nvm. You are very wrong.

I dont said every MW resource should be in the hardest dungeons. Some of them yes as they are now, but minor resources should drop in T1, T2 runs too. This way the final chests of dungeons will be more valuable than now with peridots and seals. We have to pay for chest keys remember? (pay time or money)

If you give people more rewards to do dungeons people will run more and the materials will be more available and the prizes will go down. thats good for everyone, not an elitist market we have now with residuum at 1M and MW weapons at 6-7M. I tell this and I have full MW unlocked so im not looking for myself.

About solo players... This is an MMO and is DUNGEONS and dragons, there are lots of solo games out there. If you want to play solo thats ok but the rewards and game mechanics should encourage people to run group content.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • spideymtspideymt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    adinosii said:

If you are a pure solo player, or not yet fully geared, you cannot obtain those resources directly but have to rely on the AH. .

If you are a pure solo player you never can make any masterwork items, because you need a guild with level 10.
    If you are a pure solo player, why do you need any of theese resources?

spideymt said:

adinosii said:

If you are a pure solo player, or not yet fully geared, you cannot obtain those resources directly but have to rely on the AH. .

If you are a pure solo player you never can make any masterwork items, because you need a guild with level 10.
    If you are a pure solo player, why do you need any of theese resources?
    I said "solo" player, not "guildless" player. Some people simply do not enjoy grouping up, but may join a guild for various reasons. NWO is pretty solo-friendly in fact. You are never blocked from progressing if you just want to play solo, and you can pretty much get BiS gear through solo activity. Some other MMORPGs essentially force you to participate in large raids if you want to get to that point, but as I said NWO does not.

As for why a solo player needs those resources...well, to make equipment and sell for profit, for example?
  • minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    Mastercrafting is incredibly streaky and frustrating (I just had a run of 7 straight fails at 75%). To get my 8 crafts to MC2 took (at 35%) 9, 2, 4, 12, 1, 1, 2, 2 attempts. To get MC2 the best way is either to do it slowly with guild marks, or to get a friend who already has it to craft stuff for you. This particularly applies to the few odd items (vellum, timepiece, dragon's blood etc) that the MC temp craft buildings can't do for you.

Now it's really useful, I got MC3 all crafts at the beginning of the week and have been churning out pieces in large numbers for guildies on a commission basis. I don't do the dungeons, the people who want the stuff made provide me with those mats. My profit is the extra mats I make off crafting using the dungeon drops.

The issue with the MC3 items is the huge discrepancy between metal and cloth/leather items due to the metal ones requiring artisan's enamel and hence fartouched residuum from mSP. I've made 20 or 30 items, not a single piece of metal armor.
  • spideymtspideymt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 710 Arc User
    adinosii said:

As for why a solo player needs those resources...well, to make equipment and sell for profit, for example?

Yes. Thats the spirit. Especially in an MMORPG.....

• vida44vida44 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 667 Arc User
    One general problem currently is the Lacquer Branches costs. For the entire Masterwork Profession Unlock, getting everything to Tier 3, and with a 100% chance to craft everything you will need in total 724 Lacquer Branches.

@terramak please look into this. This is really a big deal. For example. To Unlock all of the MW Professions to Tier 3 you need only 258 Alum.

What needs to be adjusted is the cost od Dark Lacquer. It should be only 2 Lacquer Branches, not 4.

Please take a look at this @nitocris83 @mimicking#6533
  • minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    vida44 said:

One general problem currently is the Lacquer Branches costs. For the entire Masterwork Profession Unlock, getting everything to Tier 3, and with a 100% chance to craft everything you will need in total 724 Lacquer Branches.

@terramak please look into this. This is really a big deal. For example. To Unlock all of the MW Professions to Tier 3 you need only 258 Alum.

What needs to be adjusted is the cost od Dark Lacquer. It should be only 2 Lacquer Branches, not 4.

Please take a look at this @nitocris83 @mimicking#6533

I ran into this getting my final 2 profs from MC2 to MC3 I needed 320 lacquer branches. A combination of running charts and buying the cheap ones that fell off the back of 2xprofs got me there but it was quite a silly number. I had stalled for weeks waiting for 2xRP because it was just prohibitively expensive before that.

• kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Masterwork is rewarding for those who are loyal and putting their heart toward their Guild and doing those tedious daily tasks.
    Influ farm, builder quests, DF/Marauder runs not to mention old hated campaign dailies, rarely visited dungeons.
    With accumulated guild marks tier3 mw is much faster to grab!

However lots of Stronghold has been already finished.
    Its painful to think how much gm we spent for basically nothing. :)

Changes were good though. MW were a very insane AD sink before mod11b changes...
  • hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    karakla1 said:

As the thread title says, I will simply write my personal experience down with the Masterwork Professions

I can say simply, Mastercraft is attempt to revive proffesions within game, but become one big misunderstanding.
    MC v1, failled, MC v2 seems failed too.
    Soon we get mod 12, so it's simply no point to bother with MC gear anymore...

In NWO professions need big rework, not these cosmetic ones. It's like take bad product, repack in new box and try sell to customers. U can repeat this repacking over and over, but fact the product is bad will not change.

Also funny, developers introduced MC v1 and latter introduced Underdark, rings/gear, and they killed own older rework.
    Now we have MC v2, but seems Mod 12 will kill their MC v2 too. :)

For me, current NWO development look like child lost in middle forest and walking in circles, and have no idea how get out of there.
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • matthattrmatthattr Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    spideymt said:

adinosii said:

Yes. Thats the spirit. Especially in an MMORPG.....
    Yup, especially on a mmorpg advertised as solo friendly and casual play encouraged.

But hey, why deliver on a dumb old ad, right? Why keep a promise, your word.....it's just words! That's what fine print was invented for right? I mean if you don't want to keep your word....put it in fine print, then when they call you on a lie you can point a it ad say I told you what was in bold print wasn't true over here in the fine print see?

Because I don't play your way, doesn't make my way any less valid. IMHO there is entirely to much grouping...especially forced grouping...how is tht for an opinion? :)