test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Computer Crashes Every time I am in game.

hawkseerhawkseer Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14 Arc User
Windows version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Processor Name: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
Memory Installed: 12,187.86 MB

Since the last update, in fact for the past 3 days, my computer shuts off when ever I am in game. I have tried to get it to reproduce without being in game and it won't happen. I can log in and play for a little while then the machine just turns itself off without warning. I have found that I need to wait a few minutes before trying to turn it back on, to get it to boot. I have run every diagnostic that I have to try to find out if it is a hardware issue and it all comes back NO PROBLEM FOUND. And as I said, it only happens when I go into Neverwinter. Is there going to be a fix for this? It makes it very hard to play when the computer keeps turning itself off.

Answers

• callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Is this the FATAL ERROR DEVICE HUNG crash?
  • dandeloreondandeloreon Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    I believe this is probably a routine maintenance issue and can be resolved with a few questions answered.
    • Is the system running 32-bit windows or 64-bit windows?
    • Is this system a desktop Computer or Laptop?
    • When was the last time you cleaned the system using compressed air?
    • How old is the Computer? I know that it is possible for the thermal compound on the cpu itself to degrade after 4 years or so.
    • What video card do you have?
    • What is the Installed graphics driver version?
  • hawkseerhawkseer Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14 Arc User
    To Callumf- No there is no Fatal messages at all
    To answer Dandeloreon
    The system is a 64bit
    It is a desktop
    the last time I used compressed air to clean it was 2 weeks ago
    The computer components are less than three years old
    I have a brand new video card...Dual Radeon Rx 460 with the latest version of 17.5.1 (is the driver)
  • dandeloreondandeloreon Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    hawkseer said:

To Callumf- No there is no Fatal messages at all
    To answer Dandeloreon
    The system is a 64bit
    It is a desktop
    the last time I used compressed air to clean it was 2 weeks ago
    The computer components are less than three years old
    I have a brand new video card...Dual Radeon Rx 460 with the latest version of 17.5.1 (is the driver)

There is two solutions I can think of...

Solution 1: Disable Crossfire ( Dual gpu) for neverwinter. This could be the cause of the crash.

Solution 2: Try using a slightly older driver version. I suggest the latest WHQL Driver which is version 17.4.4 for AMD cards.

Also for a slightly different question, How large is the power supply your using? I know that multiple graphics cards could be too much for power supplies that are smaller.