test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Game keeps repeatedly crashing

bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User

I use Windows 7 and have onboard video card on my laptop. I've played this game for years without any issues besides this most recent update.
Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
--
I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.

Comments

• neverwinterdevilneverwinterdevil Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 74 Arc User
    I am getting the exact error since new mod went live last night. Longest i've had the game on was about a minute and when it's not the game that freezes then it's the whole computer and i have to shut down and restart from the button. I'm the leader of a guild, please do something to fix this!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    Have you updated your graphics/motherboard drivers recently? Even onboard cards need driver updates sometimes. This is usually what causes this error. Found this info on another game forum:
    This is a troublesome error that is not confined to this game or specific hardware. It is a DirectX error code that indicates a crashing of the driver. I have done some more research and have tried to collect all of the steps that people are reporting to have fixed this issue. One particular step I have seen but do not recommend is altering any video card voltages. Some of these steps are quick and easy, some require a little more effort.
    • Turn on vsync
    • Perform a clean boot before attempting to play the game
    • Ensure you have power supply capable of meeting the demands of your hardware while it is under heavy gaming load
    • Perform a clean video driver installation. I have seen reports that this issue may be more prevalent with nvidia 314.07 so maybe avoid that especially as there is a newer WHQL version available. It also may be worthwhile trying a driver previous to 314.07. The previous nvidia drivers can be found here. Previous AMD/ATI drivers are here.
    • Set all in game graphics settings to low in order to reduce the stress on your GPU.
    • Ensure you have hard drive space available for your pagefile. If your pagefile is set to 8GB and you only have 4GB free you may run into problems.
    • Set the high performance preset in your GPU control panel, as opposed to the high quality preset.
    • Run your video card at stock speeds (memory and core). This is also important for players with factory overclocked cards. This will require some third party software such as EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner etc.
    • Set Windows power settings to High performance in the Power Options in Control Panel.
    • Also, beside High performance, click on Change plan settings, Change advanced power settings, in PCI Express and Link State Power Management change the Setting to Off.
    • Run the dxwebsetup to possibly fix corrupted DirectX files. Do not do this unless you have attempted all of the previous steps.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User
    edited May 2017

This is what I've found. I tried updating my graphics card driver and it's already up to date. I use on board video on a laptop. I have had zero issues running this game aside from some slow load times but I attribute that more to my lack of a solid state hard drive rather than my video card. I'm thinking that there might be a memory leak causing the page file to grow so big that it eats all available ram on my GPU. I've not heard anything about how to fix this from the support ticket I submitted. I don't mind trying these steps but I know that I already did a clean install of my Graphics card driver. I'm hesitant to tweak too many things since I don't want my computer to overheat/blow up because that would cause a bigger problem. My card isn't overclocked and I always play with graphics at the lowest possible settings. I'm perfectly happy doing that. Everyone's face looks better in my imagination anyway.. so not important to me to have fancy graphics. Play-ability is all I'm concerned with and right now that's exactly what I can't do. I know there is plenty of room on my hard drive because this game is the only thing I have installed other than a web browser, discord and teamspeak. :|
    Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --

• cellablockcellablock Member Posts: 253 Arc User

This is what I've found. I tried updating my graphics card driver and it's already up to date. I use on board video on a laptop. I have had zero issues running this game aside from some slow load times but I attribute that more to my lack of a solid state hard drive rather than my video card. I'm thinking that there might be a memory leak causing the page file to grow so big that it eats all available ram on my GPU. I've not heard anything about how to fix this from the support ticket I submitted. I don't mind trying these steps but I know that I already did a clean install of my Graphics card driver. I'm hesitant to tweak too many things since I don't want my computer to overheat/blow up because that would cause a bigger problem. My card isn't overclocked and I always play with graphics at the lowest possible settings. I'm perfectly happy doing that. Everyone's face looks better in my imagination anyway.. so not important to me to have fancy graphics. Play-ability is all I'm concerned with and right now that's exactly what I can't do. I know there is plenty of room on my hard drive because this game is the only thing I have installed other than a web browser, discord and teamspeak. :|

part of the problem itself is the settings that were removed they were enabled by default. i took 2 screenshots one for before mod release and after which i have been to preview and start having this problem before mod release , i thought they would have optimized these changes they didn't simple. gpu particle acceleration is on which i always kept off. hope the devs now think why remove something knowing it affects alot of persons who play on laptops.

ps. thats 4 of us in my guild too which plays on laptops who are having problem reported so far
  • zickig#3771 zickig Member Posts: 1 New User
    this is exactly what im getting. i have ryzen 7 3.2 g, 16 gb ram and rx 480 8gb gpu. all drivers are up to date. i can play any game in high or ultra settings but neverwinter crashes constantly. i get this dx error but it is really weird that i dont get it playing other games. nothing is overclocked, even if so, it should not be a problem happening when only running neverwinter. i like this game, im new (level 40) but I die a lot because of crashing. any ideas how to solve this ? I ll delete the game if nobody answers.
    edited May 2017
    @zickig#3771 It's something that is being worked on. Please check out these other posts regarding the same issue before you decide if you're wanting to uninstall.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1230708/shroud-of-souls-preview-patch-notes-nw-80-20170417a-7-updated-5-4/p1

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1230668/fatal-error

This does not appear to be an isolated issue and quite a number of people are having problems. The dev @terramak has responded but has also said not to expect a fix until sometime next week.

--

ixanatar said:

This is really simple. Old graphics settings worked fine. Post-mod: disaster. You launched something that wasn't tested well enough, and it effed up. Sometimes things don't work in spite of best intentions, especially with software. That's why, given the available luxury of mirroring, you mirror things before updating. You're forgiven, just copy the mirror back in already.

I agree Entirely. I don't understand why they haven't done that.

--

• phaedruslivephaedruslive Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Nearly three weeks later and it hasn't been fixed. Trying to return to the game after a long hiatus and the DXGI errors are so severe there forcing my pc to reboot entirely.

Nearly three weeks later and it hasn't been fixed. Trying to return to the game after a long hiatus and the DXGI errors are so severe there forcing my pc to reboot entirely.

\

Try the preview server. The current build on the preview server is letting me play without any issues. It's set to go live next week.

--

• gosapphire#4204 gosapphire Member Posts: 1 New User
    I was having problems with my game crashing constantly so I undownloaded the game. Now it's been sitting at the download screen for an hour saying patching, is there any way to fix this, or was there a big update today?

I was having problems with my game crashing constantly so I undownloaded the game. Now it's been sitting at the download screen for an hour saying patching, is there any way to fix this, or was there a big update today?

Not sure about your download speed. If you've been sitting there that long maybe stop and restart the download or try a proxy server for patching. I've tried those things before and it worked. The game is about 20 something GBs download.
    --

• hypnoticbeasthypnoticbeast Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    Has anyone been getting system Crash's as well? I get between 15 and 45 minutes before my whole PC will just shut down. And it only started AFTER the new update.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

Has anyone been getting system Crash's as well? I get between 15 and 45 minutes before my whole PC will just shut down. And it only started AFTER the new update.

I have not heard of that happening to anyone else yet. Have you did any diagnostics on your computer to see if it's overheating?
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • hfleethfleet Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    I have been fighting these crashes for two years now. I have tried each setting individually to track down the problem.

I can have any (other) setting from min to max on its slider with no problem except Shadows.
    Shadows causes me crashes. (Shadows High can crash almost immediately, sometimes in hours.)

My old solutions were using dx9/dx9ex (slow fps in any intense fights) OR turn off Shadows (ugly, flat looks)
    Sometimes Shadows Low worked, but still didn't look great.

When gaming on a med-to-high spec rig, one expects to play with good looks and decent fps.

"SHADOWS, my anti-game" (but Only in Neverwinter...)

Hope this helps track down the issue somehow...