STO Gateway shutting down

iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
"I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5

Comments

• iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    @defiantone99 The indications are certainly there. Disappointing? Yes. Surprising? Not really. A sign of larger personnel problems within? Possibly. It's hard to make something appealing to players if there's not an incentive to play, or a meaningful reward for completion.
    Post edited by iandarksword on
  • nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    I never played STO.
    Was there a huge difference of the gateway STO vs. gateway NWO?
    NWO's gateway was lacking much, but it was quite usable, and much better than "only game client access".
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
    I too do not play STO, however, they are our "sister game" so to speak, and as we've been told devs do float between the two. I'm awaiting some sort of comparison of Gateways from another STO member of our author group. Changes that are similar in both games would hint at decisions made beyond or above the development teams. The first feature to go over here was Gateway, followed by the deactivation of the Foundry editor. Is this a sign of similar resource issues on the STO side? Does this bode ill for any other resource deprived features? We will have to wait and see.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Paste of answer from other thread:

My understanding of STO's Gateway was that you could remote-view a few things and it had no (?) interactivity. Unlike NW's departed Gateway, there was nothing that could be botted, but that means it also wasn't a particularly functional tool. It sounds like there was little reason for most people to want to use it.

I would not say the same of NW's Gateway Foundry. It's currently not being used because it's broken, not because people don't want to.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    Thanks @beckylunatic. It's difficult not to try and find a relationship between the two. "Lack of player interest" seems to go hand in hand with "lack of development investment." Hopefully they can address the issues that plague the Foundry asset list. Still, it helps to keep an eye on other entities within the same company.