test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Shadowclad or Barkshield.

volkihar#6493 volkihar Member Posts: 36 Arc User
Hi! I'm a 2700 iLevel Protection, I can't afford Negation now, so my question is what is better to me? Barkshield or Shadowclad? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    haden42eehaden42ee Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    If your Deflect chance is very low, then Shadowclad offers you decent DR. Still, the constant SFX it makes might turn out to be an issue and be wary of the "when you deflect with 8 stacks" invisibility power - as a tank, losing aggro is not ideal.

I wouldn't bother with Barkshield as a tank in PvE. (Possible exception might be Orcus fight.)

For the record: my OP runs with Fireburst for that little bit of extra damage.
  • Options
    rubytruerubytrue Member Posts: 582 Arc User
    Really, lesser Soulforged....
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    I use a T. Fireburst and love it. I see the value of a soulforged but I very rarely die so I'd only want to use it in things like FBI.

Shadowclad (depending on rank) will usually proc anywhere between 1-in-10 to 1-in-4 times and reduce incoming damage by 50% but usually the most vulnerable time for a prot pally is at the beginning of fights before they're fully set up so to my mind barkshield would be the more useful of the two. It allows you to take a couple of hits before you're up with temp health, 10% power buff from incoming damage, CoP in place etc.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    kinganuthinkinganuthin Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    haden42ee said:

If your Deflect chance is very low, then Shadowclad offers you decent DR. Still, the constant SFX it makes might turn out to be an issue and be wary of the "when you deflect with 8 stacks" invisibility power - as a tank, losing aggro is not ideal.

I wouldn't bother with Barkshield as a tank in PvE. (Possible exception might be Orcus fight.)

For the record: my OP runs with Fireburst for that little bit of extra damage.

Actually Shadowclad gives you a percentage of your existing DR. So if your DR is really low, you will be going stealth often..
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    Also you only get DR from Pure+, if he can't afford a basic negation I doubt he'll be able to afford a pure shadowclad.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    volkihar#6493 volkihar Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    I'm using Shadowclad a time ago, i haven't survivability issues, so Soulforged is not an option. I know that trans. shadowclad isn't good for a tank for the stealth.
  • Options
    bignights91#8451 bignights91 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    shadow is more good if is rank 11.... because u reduce 50% damage and proc power with passive mechanic... if reduce 100% shadow isn t good...
  • Options
    thrilk#9892 thrilk Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    armadeonx said:

I use a T. Fireburst and love it. I see the value of a soulforged but I very rarely die so I'd only want to use it in things like FBI.

Shadowclad (depending on rank) will usually proc anywhere between 1-in-10 to 1-in-4 times and reduce incoming damage by 50% but usually the most vulnerable time for a prot pally is at the beginning of fights before they're fully set up so to my mind barkshield would be the more useful of the two. It allows you to take a couple of hits before you're up with temp health, 10% power buff from incoming damage, CoP in place etc.

I thought about the point you made about Barkshield so I am trying it out. So far I like it. The start of the fight is when I am most vulnerable and I often use BO just because of that. I am hoping Barkshield will let me ween myself off of BO. The Barkshield gives me that little bit of protection I need while I get my CoP, TW and bondings up.