test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Things I miss

oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
Since 2015 I did not play Neverwinter Online and came back 2 weeks ago and I quickly wanted to mention a couple of things I miss about that time:

First of all, the epic dungeons:
  • (Epic) Lair of the Mad Dragon
  • (Epic) Caverns of Karrundax
  • (Epic) The Frozen Heart
  • (Epic) Throne Of Idris
  • (Epic) Clock Tower
  • (Epic) Lair of the Pirate King
  • (Epic) The Dread Vault
Those dungeon were extremely fun to play, and that was because.

In the case of FH, the Tank during the final boss fight had a specific role (running in circles holding the aggro of all), while the DC had to heal him, and the DPSs had to dodge all the AOE attacks, so this had elements of strategy and coordination, which I do not see much at the moment, and any mistake of the Tank and / or DC ended up killing the whole team.

The case of the 2nd boss of CoK (The Hand of Magera) was more or less the same, and even excluding boss fights, I find that the dungeons were well made, entertaining by the details and enemies they had.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    spideymtspideymt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 710 Arc User
    Check the forum @ oicidraz...everyone wants the old dungeons back.

• Options
    ravenskyaravenskya Member Posts: 1,891 Arc User
    I want the chance to run them!
    Founding Member of "Wrong Side of the Stronghold"
    Ravenskya - TR / Krisha Chaos - OP / Waffles - GF / Dex Domitor - HR
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

• Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    You also forgot epic Cloak Tower and classic Castle Never too.

Castle Never is back, but the dungeon is nowhere as long as people said it used to be (~30 min run for average teams, good teams can clear it in around 13-10 minutes).

• Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    He called it Clock Tower, a common mistake. It really wasn't all that Epic, TBH.

Kiting the adds on FH and other boss fights was common on 2013. Surprised that anyone was doing it in 2015. It almost certainly wasn't the devs intended and was usually born of desperation and the belief that the adds were bugged to to not stop spawning after the boss went down.* So the adds got kited until the boss went down, someone (hopefully remembered to) grab the loot and then everyone wiped until the mobs left/despawned. Not exactly the most satisfying gameplay though tastes vary.

*What seemed to be actually happening is that the game reached a mob cap and a backlog started that persisted past the boss' demise. The mobs still spawning were just ones that were unable to, until others got killed.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    I would love to run the original CN... my mind was blown when a guildie who started out as a PC player back in the day ran CN with us for the first time and kept asking about the Dragon... we thought maybe he had his dungeons confused but later we looked it up and were amazed that it used to have a Dragon in it.
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

• Options
    edited March 2017
    It isnt the same without the shrieking red wizards and the hoards of unhallowed wights, but Vilithrax, the dracolich in Whispering Caverns is the recycled boss of the old Castle Never. It actually shows how that fight could be challenging without all the adds. The new dungeon gives a nod to the old by having Orcus there searching for the phylactery to bring back Azharzel the Dracolich, under his control. However, the new dungeon doesn't feature any of the final areas of the old one, where the fight took place.
  • Options
    AHHH -I've always wondered who's Phylactery Orcus was looking for - it seemed like a huge piece of the story telling was missing.

• Options
    There is a voice over from the Ilithilich just as you enter the first hallway with the zombies, "You will not cheat my master of Azharzel's phylactery!" That may not be verbatim, as the audio is quite low and there are other sound FX playing. There is another barely audible voice over from him after you beat Tal'gath.
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    ravenskya said:

I would love to run the original CN... my mind was blown when a guildie who started out as a PC player back in the day ran CN with us for the first time and kept asking about the Dragon... we thought maybe he had his dungeons confused but later we looked it up and were amazed that it used to have a Dragon in it.

• Options
    nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited March 2017

What they're doing is changing a couple things and rereleasing them, calling them new content.

There is no reason to take down the old content for years while no one is working the new ones.
    If there were, they could work on a *copy* of the dungeon. No need to take it offline for 2 years.

And even if Cryptic can not work on a copy - I would not mind ignoring and running past a few enslaved orcs and goblins doing the redecorating in the dungeon for the company.

Maybe put a sign there:

hard hat area
    dungeon works ahead for 500 meters
    it is not allowed to talk to the decorators while they are redecorating the dungeon
    we apologize for the inconvenience

But why they have to pull down half the dungeons ... no idea.

I guess the digital achievements like *copy* do not translate well to the CFO.
    They might just go "what? Copy a dungeon? Then we have 2 dungeons? No no no, we cannot afford 2 similar dungeons, look at the costs for only one! Take all down! While I do the numbers."

Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • Options
    nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    Just a thought, the player community might not be large enough any more for so many epic dungeons.
    Put to many dungeons into the game and areas appear empty. Harder to find groups.
    Also, the community got split into 3 areas (PC, Xbox, PS4) which strangely enough do not overlap currently.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • Options
    fluffy6977fluffy6977 Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    Honestly if they re-released all the dungeons we are missing they'd probably have a surge of nostalgic players returning..
  • Options
    enicegeoenicegeo Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    pitshade said:

He called it Clock Tower, a common mistake. It really wasn't all that Epic, TBH.

Kiting the adds on FH and other boss fights was common on 2013. Surprised that anyone was doing it in 2015. It almost certainly wasn't the devs intended and was usually born of desperation and the belief that the adds were bugged to to not stop spawning after the boss went down.* So the adds got kited until the boss went down, someone (hopefully remembered to) grab the loot and then everyone wiped until the mobs left/despawned. Not exactly the most satisfying gameplay though tastes vary.

*What seemed to be actually happening is that the game reached a mob cap and a backlog started that persisted past the boss' demise. The mobs still spawning were just ones that were unable to, until others got killed.

Kiting that boss was the way I remember first beating that dungeon when I was a brand new DC on Xbox version way back then. Our team couldn't beat it, but the tank was actually helpful and took charge and told us what to do rather than bail or start vote kicking. We failed the next two times, I think, but we were getting closer to victory each time. Thanks to his advice we finally got it done. I remember him kiting adds, while rest of use were all huddled by the boss. I would get worried over his health as at times it dropped severely but he didn't need me to heal him that much and was able to handle himself, so my main focus was on the boss group. Good times.
  • Options
    mistalowmistalow Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    This game is dead, old dungeons never come back maybe only in remastered lame version like SP or CN
  • Options
    solbergxsolbergx Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    there is a lot of good things coming, be positive!!
  • Options
    bakedpotardobakedpotardo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 22 Arc User
    I miss being able to play without lag ruining the fun.

Something needs to be done about the lag or I'm done with this, played since beta so I've dealt with worse lag over the years but never this consistent daily lag in every damn dungeon, it's driving me insane. They need to focus on that before adding more new content imo. Lag is going to drive me away.

Before anyone says, no the lag is not on my end, My PC and internet are up to the task and I can play other online games with no lag and low ping.
  • Options
    waywardwizard#4349 waywardwizard Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    I miss:

- rolling for an awesome armor drop in a dungeon, winning it and selling it for what used to be a ton of AD
    - joining a meaningful pvp match with both parties being relevant
    - Profound plate armor - a thing of beauty lost in the dev's closet
    - gentlemancrush
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    So many things. Dungeon delves with the legit channel, and rolling for those cw high vizier armor pieces. Repelling people into the spike traps in gauntgrym, springy roots with the mod2 ranger, one-second pvp queues... everybody in the guild trying to sync-q at the big tiamat door. One shotting gwfs with aimed shot and forest ghost. Ginormous open world pvp skirmishes back in mod 3.

No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    I miss BOTH phases of Gauntlgrym (PvE and PvP) and the two dungeons that you could farm. To me, GG was the highlight of teamwork (aside from the original CN which I also miss) - if you didn't want to PvP in GG, you could still participate in the PvE part which would help your side in PvP. My introduction to PvP was in GG.

Great idea. Sad when it was ripped away from us like a wisdom tooth with no Novocain.
    I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

You also forgot epic Cloak Tower and classic Castle Never too.

Castle Never is back, but the dungeon is nowhere as long as people said it used to be (~30 min run for average teams, good teams can clear it in around 13-10 minutes).

We clear it at 12 minutes regularly.
  • Options
    evilsquirrel03evilsquirrel03 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    -I miss gear with meaningful set bonuses
    -Running dungeons and having a 1 in 4 chance of a good drop instead of consistently getting garbage
    -Having dungeon content that required strategies other than everyone surround the boss and pound it to death
    -The time when pretty much all equipment was bind on equip and there weren't three stupid types of the same items bound in different ways filling space in bags
    -PVP before tenacity "fixed it"; back then gear was gear and everyone was potentially a PVP player.
    -The refinement process before resonance and artifacts (four of a kind for the next rank for all ranks)
    -The economy in general - many different ways to generate AD easily from Leadership to running dungeons to selling things made via professions to praying.
    -No Bonding runestones or Augment companions meant that the character points and gear were where you got most of your stats
  • Options
    Augments have been in the game since the start, hence 'Caturday.'
  • Options
    disposablehero#5903 disposablehero Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    I'd be down for running those dungeons, our current options range from too easy to hilariously broken with most landing in between those two extremes. They would probably be mostly broken, but a scenery change would be nice.
    Dungeon Interior Coordinator for WAR-BOUND. <i class="Italic"></i>

PS4 characters:
    Brie Liadon, Shotgun Wizard
    Disposable Hero, Kidney removal technician
    Valorous Cake, Armored pastry defender
    Ginger Christ needs no introductions
  • Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    They'd have to work very hard to surpass the original Castle Never. It was everything you could want in a dungeon.
    I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    spideymtspideymt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 710 Arc User

We clear it at 12 minutes regularly.

Why does it take so long? No DPS in Group?