test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Terrifying Insight: Who moved my cheese?

dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
edited March 2017 in The Temple
Just ran eSoT, eToS, eVT and eLoL with three DPS and two DCs:
One Virtuous AC (Kali Gold) and my RiDO.

The results... HILARIOUS. Mobs melting like butter. 30 second boss fights.
Our TR never had a lashing with less the 900k damage.
Will post ACT and screenshots to corroborate., but see Kali's video for yourself.
In order to remove the AA cheese we moved it to Terrifying Insight cheese.
Discuss among yourselves.

Edit: Correction. Lashing range was 200k min 900k max. The hyperbole is strong with this one.
JrUzbQw.jpg?1
I am Took.
"Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
Post edited by dread4moor on

Comments

• rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    Its nice soloing. I can now 1-shot tomb spiders in the Stronghold, and most of the time dryads in the River District. Even a normal chains can one-shot most of the smaller mobs in the River District now, so it makes doing the dailies much quicker.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Why did they even change it? DOs only complained about prophecy of doom.

It shouldn't have been a passive buff, such a bad idea. It should have been just the normal mechanic, but each hit on something makes it take slightly more damage.
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    @ilmenira
    "it's funny how top geared people
    who run in buffer groups (2 dc's!) want less buffs..."
    Wrong. My RiDO is my third alt, is not BiS/"top geared".
    Wrong. No one here wants less buffs. I've played 3 buff/support toons for 3 1/2 years, son.
    The problem is the implementation of DC buff "balancing".
    Terrifying Insight should not be purely passive application of 20% damage boost.
    DO can just stand there with hands in pockets and give more party damage boost then AA and BoB combined. The OP buff shifted paragons.

"why did you gear up so excessively "
    This was not a controlled scientific study. A handful of us were the first to log on so we dove right in with a combo. Never claimed case-control or statistical significance. We'll get to it eventually.

"how representative do you think a 2 dc group is, when PUG's always have one dc at max?"
    First, as I said, not representing anything. Testing synergies under the new updates.
    And serious players do not PUG unless they are desperate. Always run in premade or LFG. Premades u can structure any way you like. It's called innovation, bro.

"take off some of your stuff and let smaller dc's/groups be!"
    No idea what that means. I earned my gear over >3rs hard work, thank you.

"btw: it was clear from the last twitch stream, how it is impossible to always design for the BiS."
    No idea. I'm not BiS. We are testing encounter and daily powers, not gear.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
  • ilmenirailmenira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 269 Arc User
    @dread4moor
    father, no doubt you are the better and more serious player!
    and that's what it was about...
    there are worse players than you, like me... in this beautiful game
    and we normally have no more than 1 dc in our groups, and we even PUG!
    (which makes it all quite a bit more difficult than in the experience with Kali Gold -- i like his videos! -- you describe)
    :)
  • spideymtspideymt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 710 Arc User

Easy peasy dungeons where bosses allways melted in secounds. This has nothing to do with the fixes. Make FBI or at least CN runs with ACT and check it. Would be more helpfull to see whats going on with theese fixes.

• pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    I am curious where the legions of clerics aneeded to double the number in a party are going to come from? Zerg channels, high level guild runs... maybe this will be a thing but even before this change there were people running ETOS as a daily in multiple chars, as fast as running heroic but with salvage. A 2k instance being farmed by 3k+ characters.

Queue made PUGs get 1 healer, DC or OPD. LFG struggles to find 1 healer or runs without. People beat the content with what they have. Optimized groups are exception not the rule.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    It's still a stupid lazy bonus for a group with no effort required to use it.

That pisses me off. The hellbringer class feature is a crappy debuff. Why are classes so backwards in this game?!
  • kiraskytowerkiraskytower Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    Last night after re-specing my DC my DC we did a couple of dungeons just to try out my new build (DO). We just randomly grabbed guild members and the first run we had 2 high end DPS, 2 tanks and my DC. Second run we again had 2 high end DPS, one tank, my DC and another guild DC (who was not running Terrifying Insight). We ran through eGWD and eCC and both times the results were very quick runs. We melted Blackdagger so fast we didn't even have to use the Keg to clear the floor (One of the DPS, a CW was reporting doing 1.5Million damage on an ice knife).

All things considered, the party damage boost from Terrifying Insight is just too good to pass up as a DC. It's like having the power boost from AA going all the time. The only downside is it only seems to work for party members and it lacks the damage immunity of AA.
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Winter Lily (CW) / Winter Rose (DC) / Winter Ivy (HR)
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
  • kangkeokkangkeok Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User
    I played my DO today after left it for 1 year in dust. Ran Etos with random PUG que. 1 3.1k cw, and the rest is around 2.2k to 2.8k. The run speed is fast but not like the boss die in 10sec. Syndrith still takes like 3min to die. I slotted terrifying insight, foresight, astral shield, bts, divine glow, hallowed ground and flamestrike. I think the developer is trying to make 2k dungeon content easier for 2k ppl while making 3k above ppl to run 3k dungeon.
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    I was so desperate to try things out that I was hanging out in PE lfg. Found a RiDO lfm dps and I convinced them that my AC virt was worthwhile to bring.

I agree with @dread4moor the results are somewhat hilarious. It's not as if running with 2 DCs wasn't always cheesy, but with the DO buff differentiation now it's very silly.

I needed to tweak my build a little with chains AP generation going out of the window, but my AC virt is still very much viable and dropping HG+AA while DO buffbot adds TI etc. results in cheese. Nothing new here, move along.
  • xxxhansolxxxxxxhansolxxx Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    Did CN with a DO and a GF yesterday. Ran ACT for Orcus, my at-wills (sure strike) reached 500k damage per hit ...
    ilmenira said:

@dread4moor
    father, no doubt you are the better and more serious player!
    and that's what it was about...
    there are worse players than you, like me... in this beautiful game
    and we normally have no more than 1 dc in our groups, and we even PUG!
    (which makes it all quite a bit more difficult than in the experience with Kali Gold -- i like his videos! -- you describe)
    :)

Dear BROTHER, these are TESTS. We can only give feedback to the devs if we TEST the limits of their changes.
    I do NOT endorse cheese runs. I hate them in fact. You missed the sardonic point of this post.
    We show things that are far more powerful then WAI in hopes that the devs will avoid drastic changes in the future.
    I love my RiDO, glad I can solo without difficulty. But I do not want to be a buffbot.
    As for two DC combos? Testing synergies is not an El33t snobbish thing at all.
    It's how we learn to master the game mechanics. I doubt I will run AC+DO regularly. But I learned a lot about how these new powers work by doing so.

JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
  • btairbornebtairborne Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    There is nothing in your post that would help the devs understand what is going on. Doesn't sound like you know either.
    It's a hey I want attention post, with nothing to look at. Great job. Why bother.
  • sh00termcl0vinsh00termcl0vin Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    I believe the OP is talking about terrifying insight being over buffed because of the group applications. Of course there would need to be some evidence such as ACT results comparing it to last mods group damage with similar group comp/builds to back up this statement. There is probably something there though if someone wants to post some parsed results.
    spideymt said:

Easy peasy dungeons where bosses allways melted in secounds. This has nothing to do with the fixes. Make FBI or at least CN runs with ACT and check it. Would be more helpfull to see whats going on with theese fixes.
    We have ACT with ViAC+RiDO on 2-3 each of CN, eToS, eSoT, eCC and eGWD. No FBI recorded with this combo yet. Glad to post all of them if you really care to read War and Peace.

@sh00termcl0vin , correct.
    Here is a simple ACT demonstration of the boost.
    GWF vs dummy x 1 min without TI:
    TYPE DAMAGE ENCDPS DPS AVERAGE RESIST HITS CRIT% EFFECTIVENESS
    Outgoing Damage 3,214,028 51,260.41 58,864.98 16,915.94 All 190 39% 123.8 %

GWF vs dummy x 1 min with TI
    TYPE DAMAGE ENCDPS AVERAGE MINHIT MAXHIT HITS SWINGS CRIT% FLANK% EFFECTIVENESS
    Outgoing Damage 3,916,646 59,343.12 17,722.38 0 256,271 221 221 31% 0% 123.6 %

No surprise. 3.2K to 3.9k. ~ 22% damage boost absolutely passive.

But that is, of course, totally irrelevant.

The point is not the magnitude of the damage boost itself.
    I love the boost TBH. Not asking for a nerf.

The point is that this change was a mistaken attempt at "fixing" AA.

There are two problems which I was addressing with this "fix":
    1) Terrifying Insight should not be a passive >20% damage boost to the entire party (without any effort, application or skill/technique required).
    2) The "fix" to the Anointed Army problem was to swap one overpowered ability (AA) with an even MORE overpowered ability (the new Terrifying Insight).

There is nothing in your post that would help the devs understand what is going on. Doesn't sound like you know either.
    It's a hey I want attention post, with nothing to look at. Great job. Why bother.

lol. whatevah. We have 18 hours of preview testing of these changes and 6 ACT recorded hours of data... but sure. No idea what we're talking about. Feel free to post your superior data.

JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
  • jaime4312#3760 jaime4312 Member Posts: 844 Arc User
    I swear you guys won't stop complaining until people from all classes become anointed champions mains. Guess what, there are people out there who have preferences other than yours.

DO viable now? but but but all clerics should be anointed champions!
    DO is stuck with HG as only good daily power for buffing, TI needs to stay the way it is or if changed then AC should get its ability to use AA and HG at the same time taken away to balance things out.
  • lifeofrisklifeofrisk Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    you shuld also open tread in the citadel because paladins have aura courage and aura gifts and they buffbot more than 20%
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    Please discuss the facts and refrain from personal disparagement.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min

I don't see anything wrong with DO.

DO can just stand there with hands in pockets and give more party damage boost then AA and BoB combined.

"If you spent as much time testing AC as you claim to have spent "testing" DO you would know this is not true."

We recorded both AC and DO, Fab.
    It is true: TI is far greater boost to damage then AA.
    AA grants 33% power within a limited (25') AoE and for a limited time.
    The two test ViACs and RiACs we used had between 60 and 80% AA uptime... in other words, 20-40% of the time the party was getting ZERO power bonus from AA.
    And, reviewing the KG 2x CN videos (manually, so some range of error) at least one/four party members were out of AA AoE range in >50% of castings. So another .5x.25x100%=12% reduction in party power boost.
    Compare that to Terrifying Insight with a huge (120') range, 100% uptime and direct multiplicative damage (not additive power) increase.
    The test RiAC had 32K power, so you would expect 32000x.33 added to the GWF base power (IIRC ~60k base). That's a ~18% increase in power (NOT damage).
    Not even close to 20%damage increase.

But none of that matters in regard to the point of this post.
    This is not a nerf request. DOs are awesome, I love mine and glad she can solo easily again.
    All DCs are better off. And AC is still useful.
    The criticism was on the choice to "fix' one OP problem by an overwhelming power switch to another.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    rapo973 said:

Some comments.

No intentions to be rude, but the best you can say is that your team needs a DO more than an AC, because you don't know how to take the best advantage of an AC DC.
    When I play with my guildes, they are all aware how the relative positioning has an impact on the power share effectiveness: you'll never see a 50% AA miss ratio (the first part of FBI can be an exception sometimes).
    You have room for improvement, but this has nothing to do with TI vs power share.

Sorry again Dread, but this is only the final proof that you are missing something.
    You keep on forgetting all the power share components: it's not AA only.
    A RiAC having 32K unbuffed power, shares up to 58% (not 33%) of his/her power = 18,560.
    If you and your team mates have max bondings, then it becomes ~18560 x 3 = 55680 more power (and I'm excluding the power back from the unbuffed power stat of the companion). Bondings and positioning are often the real discriminant.
    If you want to know if TI is better than power share, then you've to solve this simple equation:
    and this is the result.

For example if a player has 32k unbuffed power, the AC DC must provide 14,4k power to be better than TI. Taking your example, your RiAC can generate up to 18.5k power.
    If the players cannot use this opportunity because they are out of range >50%...well you're in a under performing team and TI very often better than any power share AC DC.
    My final assessment is not that DO is better than AC: what you wrote is the proof that you're missing opportunities ("at least one/four party members were out of AA AoE range in >50% of castings").
    Ofc not all power share components can be 100% uptime at the same time, so there are moments where DO is better and other moments when an AC DC is better if the players know what they're doing: this is the best you can say as a general comment.
    Another thing you can say is that, if you're a low IL buffer DC, go DO because you don't have enough power to share yet.
    The final message is simple: at high level there's space for both DO and AC.

What exactly is the range of AA/Blessings of Battle + feat? Is there any indication or any little tips I can use to know the exact spacing to give my teammates AA + Blessings?

For the Bondings part, aren't 3x R12 Bondings 2.85? And isn't the legendary bonus only off of the comp's basic stats?

And for the unbuffed power for the DPSer, is it when the DPSer isn't doing anything, or does unbuffed power also include the power the player recieves from Bondings (ex: the power from Bonding Runestones, stats from comp gear, stats from enchants, etc.)?

And are the formula + chart copyrighted/trademarked? (wanted to download/use them for study/reference material).

• schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Battle Fervor buffs 10 player in your raid with up to 24 k power ( assuming 40 k basepower and legend companion with 3xr12) and spends a DR buff in top. TI is group bound. If that Hunter decides to stay 100 feet away in the "outer limit" he simply is not that informed or new to this game.
    Post edited by schietindebux on
  • rapo973rapo973 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    rjc9000 said:

What exactly is the range of AA/Blessings of Battle + feat? Is there any indication or any little tips I can use to know the exact spacing to give my teammates AA + Blessings?

If you use AA as a reference then it's 25' (tooltip)

According to @michela123, BoB has the same AS radius (DC is the center). I'm not 100% sure about it, but I don't have data to say anything alternative.
    WoL has a 30' radius (tooltip)
    When I'm in a dungeon with my guildies I suggest to check where the tank is because I'm always close to him. Against (semi) static bosses, it's quite simple: tank in front, and all the others behind the boss at short range.
    rjc9000 said:

For the Bondings part, aren't 3x R12 Bondings 2.85? And isn't the legendary bonus only off of the comp's basic stats?

checked my spreadsheet: you're right about both points.
    So it's not 55680, but 52896 + legendary bonus off of the comp's basic stats.
    Anyhow this doesn't change the results.
    rjc9000 said:

And for the unbuffed power for the DPSer, is it when the DPSer isn't doing anything, or does unbuffed power also include the power the player recieves from Bondings (ex: the power from Bonding Runestones, stats from comp gear, stats from enchants, etc.)?

There's a discussion in the Temple forum where @dupeks studied all the items that contribute to the unbuffed power.
    For example, the values from enchantments, boons, artifact, gear contribute to the unbuffed power.
    Power from the twisted set, the +X sudden rings, bondings don't contribute to the unbuffed power.
    Usually we consider the unbuffed power because that's the reference value to calculate the power share.
    It's important to know that in a power share interaction is more important to buff the companion with bondings than the player.
    rjc9000 said:

And are the formula + chart copyrighted/trademarked? (wanted to download/use them for study/reference material).

It was used the first time by @thefabricant long time ago when in the temple forum we discussed AA+bondings vs HG.
    He didn't write the formula explicitly, but he's the moral owner.
    Post edited by rapo973 on

Oltreverso guild leader
    Maga Othelma - DC | Svalvolo - SW | Dente Avvelenato- GWF
    thank you for deeper insight here, thefabricant and rapo973!

let me add something i already posted in the relevant thread (pc cleric build for mod 11 after the update changes) in the cleric forum:

with my faithful dc soloing is MORE (not less!) difficult with TI than with (former) AA etc, even when damage of many powers was increased.

one more thing: i feel this thread IS a nerf thread, even when the OP maintains it is not.
    i do not understand OP's motivation to "test", or rather expose the new DO dc, when this class is his 3rd alt...
    as is generally the case with nerf threads, they are posted in order to cut off possibilities from other classes/people... so as to give advantage to oneself in one way or the other...
    they make for bad feeling/atmosphere
    and luckily are often closed.

enjoy playing dc! :)

At the end of the day, if you have to choose between the good OP and the bad OP, or the good DC and the bad DC, are you ever going to choose the DC or OP who stands around with hands in pockets? I don't think so.

indeed!

one more aspect to this:
    my faithful dc's main job these days is to PUG t1
    that's where she has lots of work healing and protecting

she is thankful for a constant extra buff from TI as DO
    -- especially as these groups damage is generally VERY low
    and she has to work hard enough protecting chars with little defense
    and healing them up, when needed.

if the OP requests her to "paint" all enemies with TI
    -- and it used to be painting each one several times for maximum effect --
    she would likely not get to an end with it, besides her core tasks.

and: please don't nerf paladins, they have been nerfed enough!!!
    i guess they are happy when they can contribute what they contribute now to a group. :)

• rapo973rapo973 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Just to add: I don't have a deep knowledge of TI - so new. I just reported some findings coming from the past experiences.
    So the formula works in case a player does nothing and he/she gets the buff. Probably this is what @rjc9000 wants to know.
    But the formula works anyway: I assume that if a player has max bondings, he/she can easily go up to 50k++ power and TI applies. In this case the AC DC must provide power in the following range to have the same TI effect:

A high-end AC DC can do it, so I would say that in this case AC and DO are very close (you need 34k unbuffed power to share up to 20k power) .
    For a full bondings DPS it's important to know that a 2.1k DO with rk 4 TI and a 4.3k power buffer AC are similar from this point of view, but probably it's not true the opposite (a 2.1 AC and 4.3 DO). Unfortunately for power share, the IL matters.
    New findings are always welcome.
    Post edited by rapo973 on

Oltreverso guild leader
    Maga Othelma - DC | Svalvolo - SW | Dente Avvelenato- GWF