test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Trial of Fire and Iron

namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
Why is the kabal fight so hard that even 4K GFs wipes many times and the whole instance takes 45 minutes. I know I can group up. But this is a weekly ffs that I have to do 35 times. And I still have only 7 focus. I've just about had it with this mod. Frack alt friendly, its not even solo friendly.

Comments

• blur#5900 blur Member Posts: 490 Arc User
    Took me few tries to figure out how it works, at first i thought its not soloable but actually its quite easy. If a squishy TR like me can do it then a GF can too :) After first Axe adds two golems appear, the bigger one leaves that fireball which you need to drag to boss to remove immunity but there is another chain which comes from the wall. Dont take the fireball untill the chain from the wall gets removed. Two chains at the same time is not survivable for me.
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    Ah, thanks. I thought kabal's immunity was timed. Didn't know you had to dragged the fireball to him. I was just running around with two chains in tow until I accidentally dragged the fireball to him. Much easier after I broke the first chain with the stationary fire first. While I can survive the two chains, usually kabal's whiplash or the floor blowing up at the same time does me in.
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    I think his immunity is timed, though. I've done it once and didnt do anything with chains. I kept whacking him until he started taking damage.
  • sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User

I think his immunity is timed, though. I've done it once and didnt do anything with chains. I kept whacking him until he started taking damage.

No, in order to break the immunity, you need to drag the ball of fire attached to you via the chain to collide with him. Without doing so he will remain immune indefinitely.
  • hawkeyelhawkeyel Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    You can also kill the two golem next to him and they will break his immunity when they explode.
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    No shame involved, I died so many times on my 4k extremely squishy glass cannon HR I eventually swallowed my pride and called in my favourite DC friend in to help.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    hawkeyel said:

You can also kill the two golem next to him and they will break his immunity when they explode.

That's probably what happened. Itchy swordhand.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    jonkoca said:

No shame involved, I died so many times on my 4k extremely squishy glass cannon HR I eventually swallowed my pride and called in my favourite DC friend in to help.

I had a hard time even on my ultra-tanky M1A2 Abrams HR. I knew to get the chains to break by using the fireball, but the DoT was still murder. My solution was to fire off an Emblem of the Seldarine as soon as a chain took hold.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • nnrudsernnrudser Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    2.7k GF, and 3.6k GWF can handle the whole instance by themselves in under 5 minutes. What are you people doing?
  • boldorianboldorian Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    hawkeyel said:

This is how I defeat him most of the time when I solo with my 3.7K GWF, then I don't have to worry about getting "Double Chained"!!! The double chains hurt, and if Kabal decides to stay on the anvil the whole time, which has happened a few times, locating where the lava is going to flow up does not help either.
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    I'm glad the new content has some new mechanics that take a little figuring out.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • waywardwizard#4349 waywardwizard Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    I found that fight annoying but trivial. Probably cause the char i play it with is an OP.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    I went in alone with my OP because of his quest line. I found that pretty easy. The tips from my guilders and here do help. I was expecting a long fight with my not so good with offense OP. It did not take long.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    i found it pretty easy as well, one wipe. I'd read this first but not sure how much it helped - I think it was luck more than anything. Not sure how I got him to take damage
  • checkmatein3checkmatein3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    The mechanics to kill Kabal:

1) Kabal is immune until you make him not immune.
    2) There are two hellthorn golems that appear in the trial. The first one, when it dies, chains you to the wall and you start taking damage. You MELT this chain by positioning the chain over the fireball that the dead golem created.
    3) When the 2nd hellthorn golem dies, it chains a fireball to you that slowly gets closer and closer. You pull this fireball to Kabal and have it impact with him instead.
    4) After the fireball impacts with him, Kabal changes in color to a bright glowing red. Now he can take damage.
    5) Killing a golem next to Kabal makes him immune because the golems 'create' the fireball when they die. This means either fireball will hurt Kabal, the one that moves (to which you are chained) or the one that is stationary. So, you can pull golems near kabal and then kill them. This is trickier for 2 reasons. Kabal may port before the golem gets close enough to kill it next to Kabal, and (tanking) companions pull the golems and won't lead them to Kabal. However, it has the advantage that the fireball impacts immediately with Kabal, making him immune, so the chain affect is not an issue.

You must learn this mechanism well because you will need to repeat it 3 times in epic Spellplague to kill Kabal and to stay alive.
    LEVIATHAN--19.3k Metallic Dragonborn Guardian Fighter Swordmaster Loadouts

Guild--And the Imaginary Friends

• minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    I'm struggling more with the flamethrowers, being hit by a beam when you vacated the area a couple of seconds ago is really irritating, there are days when the mission is unsoloable for me. Similar problem last night with the Gyrion mission, it simply wasn't rendering the platforms in early enough for me to make the jumps, and I'm using a GTX 970 on a decent rig wired cable connection, so I pity people with lesser graphics cards/connections.

I'm struggling more with the flamethrowers, being hit by a beam when you vacated the area a couple of seconds ago is really irritating, there are days when the mission is unsoloable for me. Similar problem last night with the Gyrion mission, it simply wasn't rendering the platforms in early enough for me to make the jumps, and I'm using a GTX 970 on a decent rig wired cable connection, so I pity people with lesser graphics cards/connections.

I don't know. I am using a laptop and have no problem (besides my own fault) in all 3 sites.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User

5) Killing a golem next to Kabal makes him immune because the golems 'create' the fireball when they die.

&

However, it has the advantage that the fireball impacts immediately with Kabal, making him immune, so the chain affect is not an issue.

In both of the above sentences did you mean to say that doing those things "removes his immunity"? As opposed to "making him immune".
  • haden42eehaden42ee Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 62 Arc User
    The "No hints, explore for yourself by blind trial and error" approach might be fun for a game that's well QA'd and relatively bug-free. Sadly, Neverwinter is not such a game, so the first reaction of many players was probably ... not what dev's desired.

For me personally, the weirdest part was 2nd run-through on my GF. I still wasn't sure what removed the initial invulnerability the first time, so I went at it extra careful. I must've blocked or evaded the golem chains, as Kabal remained almost invulnerable for 15 minutes. The only damage I could chip off was with Shadow Demon special deflect effect. Believe me, it was surreal.
  • obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    Possible bug: I got the fireball to Kabal, he stayed immune, nothing else
    spawned. Dodged around for 5 minutes. Got bored. Quit. Isn't there a
    failsafe for that?

My CW gets mushed, btw. Had hoped these were soloable by all classes.
    Can do Gyrion at least.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • anomaleaanomalea Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    I knew the mechanics but wiped multiple times on my HR. Every time he would teleport across the arena and the 1-meter distance my 3-dodge movement gave me didn't get me anywhere near him before the ball/fire dmg killed me. The time I succeeded was because he didn't teleport far away.
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    obsiddia said:

failsafe for that?

Happened to me too. I had to die and try again. The real problem for me on my HR was that when I brought the ball against Kabal I was usually killed by the explosion. On my ultra-tanky temptation SW the instance is a cakewalk but for dps classes it's quite tough.

Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    anomalea said:

I knew the mechanics but wiped multiple times on my HR. Every time he would teleport across the arena and the 1-meter distance my 3-dodge movement gave me didn't get me anywhere near him before the ball/fire dmg killed me. The time I succeeded was because he didn't teleport far away.

Yup. Much easier on a SW or GWF.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • nightstalkornightstalkor Member Posts: 154 Arc User

obsiddia said:

failsafe for that?

Happened to me too. I had to die and try again. The real problem for me on my HR was that when I brought the ball against Kabal I was usually killed by the explosion. On my ultra-tanky temptation SW the instance is a cakewalk but for dps classes it's quite tough.

This is, IMHO, the stupidest, most insulting, most break off boss fight that I've seen yet as a CW. I was really annoyed by Gyrion, and the Nostura maze before you get to the fights REALLY ticked me off, but this one is now my most hated boss battle ever. After the first couple of tries dying quickly I went and checked out UTube, and said, OH, that's bleeping great.

So tried this mish several times AFTER watching the Utube. My CW died EVERY SINGLE TIME I GOT THE BALL CLOSE TO KABAL. Quite flatly, that needs to be fixed. The constant damage coupled w/ the CW's lack of defense make this boss fight a stupidly OP croak fest.
    I'm running a near 12k CW, I can solo both Nostura and Gyrion w/o too much trouble, but this Kabal fight is WAY TOO INSANE. I gave up after dying six MORE times in rapid succession. Maybe in 3 months, when I have some serious upgrades courtesy of the new mod, I will try this one again. Right now, it is UNCOMPLETABLE.
    edited August 2017

obsiddia said:

failsafe for that?

This is, IMHO, the stupidest, most insulting, most break off boss fight that I've seen yet as a CW. I was really annoyed by Gyrion, and the Nostura maze before you get to the fights REALLY ticked me off, but this one is now my most hated boss battle ever. After the first couple of tries dying quickly I went and checked out UTube, and said, OH, that's bleeping great.

So tried this mish several times AFTER watching the Utube. My CW died EVERY SINGLE TIME I GOT THE BALL CLOSE TO KABAL. Quite flatly, that needs to be fixed. The constant damage coupled w/ the CW's lack of defense make this boss fight a stupidly OP croak fest.
    I'm running a near 12k CW, I can solo both Nostura and Gyrion w/o too much trouble, but this Kabal fight is WAY TOO INSANE. I gave up after dying six MORE times in rapid succession. Maybe in 3 months, when I have some serious upgrades courtesy of the new mod, I will try this one again. Right now, it is UNCOMPLETABLE.
    You don't have to use the ball to break the immunity. You can damage and let the two guards to die (and explode) close to the boss to break the immunity. This is my prefer method for 5 toons (no CW though) I played against this boss.