test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PVP damage vs. PVE damage.

ltgamesttv#0999 ltgamesttv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,438 Arc User
The primary issue that classes in PVP have difficulty with is DoT damage vs. Burst damage. In PVP burst damage always wins out. Unless you have some rescue mechanism burst damage will kill. Because there is so much internal healing DoT damage must be ridiculous to overcome it. There are a couple of SW's I've seen that went mostly full DPS and are able to kill SOME end game classes/players but they are very squishy and die immediately to a 2v1. There are no end game Pallies I've seen so far that kill end game players 1v1 unless that player happens to get caught by a huge Binding Oath proc with all the damage they've taken. DPS pallies are sorely lacking in the DPS area in PVP. Burning light is annoying to end game players but their internal healing just out heals it. Templars wrath is a joke in terms of dealing damage and therefore doesn't return much temp HP.

There needs to be a mechanism that gives these "DoT' based classes more killing power in regards to PVP. A damage specced GF can hit end game players for 40-90K damage with one encounter, even more if buffed. A combat HR can take 90K life or more with an encounter and a few at wills. A tr can hit SE for over 200K if EXE specced and easily 180K + if Sabo specced and powered correctly. GWF, with stacks up can hit IBS for 90K and at wills for 30-45K. These cause issues for DoT classes as they will lose over time while these classes lifesteal and insignia heal their way back to full life.

I would suggest a debuff that is added to DoT abilities. One that affects their targets healing like the boon that decreases "healing from all sources by 25%". This wouldn't affect PVE as most if not all mobs/bosses do not heal. It would primarily only be effective in PVP allowing DoT classes to debuff the internal healing of their target and allow them to potentially overcome that hurdle. This would allow DoT damage to have as much usefulness as Burst damage and add an extra element of debuffing to help teammates when 2v2ing.

Let me know what you think? My only caution would be the percentage of healing debuff, too little and it doesn't make a difference. Too much and you have classes that will heal to full while wiping everything.
On ambush rings: "How would you like PVE if all the mobs were invisible?"

imgur pics don't work

Comments

• metikulousmetikulous Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    No thanks. If healing is an issue then that's what needs to be looked at and not giving certain classes a healing debuff.

Also, what counts as a dot class? Nearly every class has some form of dot so how do we choose who gets the debuff or not. If damage is an issue then maybe lowering the amount of damage resistance tenacity gives on dots is the more ideal solution. Maybe dots get 75% of the damage reduction from tenacity compared to normal 100%. The big problem to balance with dots is making sure they don't get to the point of where once you put all your dots on someone they become the walking dead.
  • ltgamesttv#0999 ltgamesttv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,438 Arc User

No thanks. If healing is an issue then that's what needs to be looked at and not giving certain classes a healing debuff.

Also, what counts as a dot class? Nearly every class has some form of dot so how do we choose who gets the debuff or not. If damage is an issue then maybe lowering the amount of damage resistance tenacity gives on dots is the more ideal solution. Maybe dots get 75% of the damage reduction from tenacity compared to normal 100%. The big problem to balance with dots is making sure they don't get to the point of where once you put all your dots on someone they become the walking dead.

I feel like I offered a simple percentage based solution for making DoT damage more meaningful in PVP and you countered with a much more complex solution that is much more class and gear dependent. DoTs damage are fine. Internal healing is the issue. I've written muliple posts about that problem to no avail so I'm now looking at other potential solutions.

I'm 100% sure you won't get them to have abilities have different effects from tenacity. That would be a stupid amount of coding for a few abilities.

That all said however, i do agree with your last sentence that it shouldn't be a death sentence that they can simply throw all these dots on you and walk away. That's why I think the percentage of healing debuff would be the most important for balancing. It would have to be monitored so that it is not OP.

imgur pics don't work

etelgrin said:

I agree on most part being DoT class myself.

I came with solution for SW when it was discussed with sorely missed Amenar, that was to make Creeping Death - the thing that generates DoT for SW out of fire&necrotic damage piercing damage, because I still believe that the DoTs are double penalized in PvP due to the fact that the initial power casted is diminished by tenacity so is the DoT created out of it, then this already not so big usually DoT gets into IWD passive implemented in majority PvP builds which is Cold Shoulder that serves as 2000 damage shield for all damage done basically turning most DoTs into funny little floaters. Of course there are particular situation where the DoT creates is so-so, this is mostly situation where the enemy stands debuffed by other players and you got to hit him from behind or while proned with Gates of Hell then because the initial hit is big, the DoT is not that bad, but even then it seems faint among other numbers going on from your regular powers. For example Pillar of Power hits for very small amounts of damage every couple seconds like 2000k or so and is always non crit damage, the dot created out of these hits is maybe 200 points of damage in PvP.

Well when you look at the fight and when you see warlock its not that SW hits will melt you in seconds like some combat HRs, its not good solution I think to give any class as much piercing damage as HRs got and maybe not greatest solution for SW either but is the way I would see it go if warlock would to be feared again when Creeeping Death was 300% of damage.

Maybe another way to compensate for the lackluster or underperforming damage would be to add some utility to DoTs, like Slow/Daze/Immobilize/Root/Poison/Plague whatever.

I'm always afraid to agree with piercing damage although I understand it's usage and that it's a shortcut to extra damage in PVP and is more effective in PVP than in PVE. The issue would be that Piercing damage easily turns lackluster classes and abilities into very OP abilities quickly and is often poorly considered by the dev team after implementation.

My personal opinion is also that I like to see types of damage that make "sense" considering the class. For example, an assassin is going to have piercing damage because that's what they would specialize in. Finding holes in targets armor taking down tanks with stealth and precision blows. Rangers would learn to use their blades in this manner to some degree as well. However using curses to gain piercing damage doesn't make as much sense to me as cursing the targets ability to regenerate, heal, or cure themselves. This makes sense to me coming from a warlock.

I prefer trying to make damage appropriate to the way the class "should" function. I would say that certain aura's from the Paladin and their abilities like blinding light should function the same way in that their god would grant them the ability so sap the enemies strength. Although tbh, I think binding oath should be piercing because it should completely return the damage dealt while it was up as the tooltip says, to players as well.

imgur pics don't work

Piercing damage on DoTs? Alright dawg, any serious suggestions?

DoT classes already have the advantage of life steal which makes them almost impossible to clear 1v1 if played/build right. If you now let DoT effects debuff the inc. healing of the enemy you completely turn around the stalemate into a 100% sure win of DoT classes. Basically what we don't want to achieve.

On a 5v5 PoV the class is fine, I think. Proven by a popular SW (Sophi)

I agree on the piercing damage, I disagree on the nerfing incoming healing bit. End game I've not seen SW's clearing much unless they go glass cannon. Then they insta die to any 2v1. Otherwise they're just rocks sitting on a node unable to be cleared, tankier than a paladin.
    morenthar said:

Piercing on DoTs? :#

Uh...no. As was stated by @xsayajinx1 SWs aren't exactly underperforming. Sophi and a few others are shredders. Hell I run into SWs that complain all the time that are shredders.

Piercing should be reserved for the Striker classes. I'm not married to the Piercing mechanism either. It's removal would have to come with other adjustments.

Anyway, back to the original topic. The solutions to problems like self-healing include taking away or nerfing things that people dumped a bunch of resources into.

I wouldn't care if they did it, but it simply isn't in Cryptic's DNA. Which is why, on the PvE side of things, I don't forsee a nerf to Bondings.

At mid game maybe, at end game there is NO sw shredder.

imgur pics don't work

edited March 2017

Well, it's your personal opinion how classes should be balanced and it seems it differs from mine.

To me it just seems fair if you go glass cannon, you are able to clear people, and since you do damage you will die in 2v1. Remember, you can't have both at the same time, otherwise you just create another OP class.

The other spec has low damage but is able to play the "rock on the node". Doesn't kill 1v1 but can survive 2v1.

SW is pretty much balanced to me.

The issue I think is not that I want a rock who can kill. The 1 SW I've met so far could kill maybe 1 or 2 classes. Give him the tools and he could kill others potentially. All other SWs so far are either rocks or they simply fail.

Addendum: No SW can survive 2v1 at end game.

imgur pics don't work

• sh00termcl0vinsh00termcl0vin Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    @xsayajinx1 is right. SW seems like it's in a good place right now as far as being able to spec to your playstyle (glass cannon vs. tanky troll).

The real issue with pvp is other op class mechanics make playing a dodge-less class difficult. CB rogues and Opp wizards stacked on a team will still rule the day due to the overwhelming amount of AoE CC effects that can be blindly spammed with no drawbacks. Once they fix AA so it actually consumes charges in mod 11.5 and the perma CC immunity is gone, this will start becoming a thing again. If there is any complaints that need to be made it's about how overwhelmingly powerful stacked CC effects can be and wonky burst damage in general from other "overpowered" classes (combat HR, IV GF, Exec TR) that will result in a death in 1-2 hits. The new relic weapons have only made this worse too it seems. We've gone from runaway self healing given by insignias, to runaway burst damage over the course of 2 mods. PW just can't seem to find a happy medium.

@xsayajinx1 is right. SW seems like it's in a good place right now as far as being able to spec to your playstyle (glass cannon vs. tanky troll).

The real issue with pvp is other op class mechanics make playing a dodge-less class difficult. CB rogues and Opp wizards stacked on a team will still rule the day due to the overwhelming amount of AoE CC effects that can be blindly spammed with no drawbacks. Once they fix AA so it actually consumes charges in mod 11.5 and the perma CC immunity is gone, this will start becoming a thing again. If there is any complaints that need to be made it's about how overwhelmingly powerful stacked CC effects can be and wonky burst damage in general from other "overpowered" classes (combat HR, IV GF, Exec TR) that will result in a death in 1-2 hits. The new relic weapons have only made this worse too it seems. We've gone from runaway self healing given by insignias, to runaway burst damage over the course of 2 mods. PW just can't seem to find a happy medium.

If there is no burst damage, there would be no deaths. I do however agree that CC is too much considering you can stack a team with multiples of the same class.

imgur pics don't work

• mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User

I feel like I offered a simple percentage based solution for making DoT damage more meaningful in PVP and you countered with a much more complex solution that is much more class and gear dependent. DoTs damage are fine. Internal healing is the issue. I've written muliple posts about that problem to no avail so I'm now looking at other potential solutions.

I'm 100% sure you won't get them to have abilities have different effects from tenacity. That would be a stupid amount of coding for a few abilities.

That all said however, i do agree with your last sentence that it shouldn't be a death sentence that they can simply throw all these dots on you and walk away. That's why I think the percentage of healing debuff would be the most important for balancing. It would have to be monitored so that it is not OP.
    OR Make all dots piercing damage:)
    Very original @mamalion1234 but as everyone has mentioned already. It's a bad idea.

imgur pics don't work

• disposablehero#5903 disposablehero Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    I like this, but I'm pretty biased because I value disrupting the enemy team as much as possible and this sounds like a tool of mass trolling for my very wrong hands. I can apply DoTs to entire teams at once, so whether or not people found a mechanic like this fair, any class that utilizes DoTs would become a priority target for every team to smash at all possible opportunities. I would welcome this myself, I have no problem with 2+ vs me as it creates more opportunity to cause damage/facemelt and disrupt the enemy team, but my fascination with savage beatings is probably not an average viewpoint.
    Dungeon Interior Coordinator for WAR-BOUND. <i class="Italic"></i>

PS4 characters:
    Brie Liadon, Shotgun Wizard
    Disposable Hero, Kidney removal technician
    Valorous Cake, Armored pastry defender
    Ginger Christ needs no introductions
    edited March 2017

Combat hr is not even close to what a trapper can do and actually no other class can do 24/7 root daze with almost 0 cooldowns. READ it carefully 24/7 root daze before you talk again about the annoying cw and tr you can at least the wizard to counter him with high control resistance + elven and the tr with cc breaker artifact + you can use your powers against them.
    WHILE when you fight the hunter ranger you cant use your powers because you are dazed and rooted all the time.
    Combat hunter has very powerful attacks but at least combat ranger you are able to move away from those hits and counter attack.

cw got fix for the purpose to not able to spam freeze 24/7 and Now what? no word for the hunter doing the same with roots dazes.

p.s: REPEL to remind is an ability which can be dodge and sprint and avoid it while a root what is ? an not able to avoid control at least with dodge and still i see roots and some dazes to cancel guardians shields.
    edited March 2017
    This has nothing to do with the post. The post is about SWs and Pallies to a lesser degree. The tick bleeds of hunters is something I'd rather not address here because their roots are so strong they shouldn't also deal a lot of damage, similar to oppressor.

imgur pics don't work

edited March 2017

This has nothing to do with the post. The post is about SWs and Pallies to a lesser degree. The tick bleeds of hunters is something I'd rather not address here because their roots are so strong they shouldn't also deal a lot of damage, similar to oppressor.

I know is off topic i just answered to the unfair atttack to a rogue and cw when the hunter is actually the class does the perma control. AND your concern is the damage on hr roots and not the permanent daze root?
  • darthtzarrdarthtzarr Member Posts: 1,003 Arc User

The primary issue that classes in PVP have difficulty with is DoT damage vs. Burst damage. In PVP burst damage always wins out. Unless you have some rescue mechanism burst damage will kill. Because there is so much internal healing DoT damage must be ridiculous to overcome it. There are a couple of SW's I've seen that went mostly full DPS and are able to kill SOME end game classes/players but they are very squishy and die immediately to a 2v1. There are no end game Pallies I've seen so far that kill end game players 1v1 unless that player happens to get caught by a huge Binding Oath proc with all the damage they've taken. DPS pallies are sorely lacking in the DPS area in PVP. Burning light is annoying to end game players but their internal healing just out heals it. Templars wrath is a joke in terms of dealing damage and therefore doesn't return much temp HP.

There needs to be a mechanism that gives these "DoT' based classes more killing power in regards to PVP. A damage specced GF can hit end game players for 40-90K damage with one encounter, even more if buffed. A combat HR can take 90K life or more with an encounter and a few at wills. A tr can hit SE for over 200K if EXE specced and easily 180K + if Sabo specced and powered correctly. GWF, with stacks up can hit IBS for 90K and at wills for 30-45K. These cause issues for DoT classes as they will lose over time while these classes lifesteal and insignia heal their way back to full life.

I would suggest a debuff that is added to DoT abilities. One that affects their targets healing like the boon that decreases "healing from all sources by 25%". This wouldn't affect PVE as most if not all mobs/bosses do not heal. It would primarily only be effective in PVP allowing DoT classes to debuff the internal healing of their target and allow them to potentially overcome that hurdle. This would allow DoT damage to have as much usefulness as Burst damage and add an extra element of debuffing to help teammates when 2v2ing.

Let me know what you think? My only caution would be the percentage of healing debuff, too little and it doesn't make a difference. Too much and you have classes that will heal to full while wiping everything.

Honestly, that sounds awesome. Even if the DoTs don't do enough damage to kill in time, it would be a pretty big help to prevent healing in a 2v2 fight. Although I am not sure it should be on all DoTs, since all classes can technically get a DoT.

Signature [WIP] - tyvm John

• finalfantasyac7finalfantasyac7 Member Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited March 2017

Well, it's your personal opinion how classes should be balanced and it seems it differs from mine.

To me it just seems fair if you go glass cannon, you are able to clear people, and since you do damage you will die in 2v1. Remember, you can't have both at the same time, otherwise you just create another OP class.

The other spec has low damage but is able to play the "rock on the node". Doesn't kill 1v1 but can survive 2v1.

The issue I think is not that I want a rock who can kill. The 1 SW I've met so far could kill maybe 1 or 2 classes. Give him the tools and he could kill others potentially. All other SWs so far are either rocks or they simply fail.

Those are high geared players. I am 4.2k sw sb fury hybrid.
    Playing on console.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO56nMpVB6k
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os9_y0jD_aE
    Warlock- Lv80. || Rogue - Lv80. || Wizard - Lv80. || Paladin - Lv80. || Cleric - Lv80. || Ranger - Lv70. || Barbarian - Lv70. || Fighter - Lv70.

¨˜ˆ”°¹~•-.„¸ρℓαуιиg иєνєяωιитєя ѕιи¢є 2015¸„.-•~¹°”ˆ˜¨

Playing on console.

I don't have time to watch your videos unfortunately but I can tell you if you're surviving 2v1 against HR/TR/GF then the other team is either unskilled or ungeared or both. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN against a decent premade. My guildmates will wreck a 4.3 K IL SW 2v1 in seconds. If you're surviving it's because someone else is failing.

As an SW soulbinder spec you can kill CWs, other SWs, Paladins (because of loop damage from aura of courage), or perhaps TR (if they're bad). That's it. Good luck killing a GWF, GF, HR, DC. Mostly you're a fast moving tank in a 1v1 unless you go glass cannon, in which case you MAY kill another class but you're just as likely to die 1v1 and do so quickly.

Next time, please use text to explain your position as video's don't do justice because we have no idea what IL, Build, Skill level those players are on the other team.

imgur pics don't work

• icyphishicyphish Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,255 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    CB+Bull charge pew pew pew = profit!
    Bullcharge + double daily from GWF and GF...??? = profit!
    DPS DC Debuff + GWF or GF ???!!! PROFIT!
    icydrake%20avatar2_zpsg7rp0xti.jpg

Author of GWF Speed Demon PvP Build (Mod 11) <- Click to reveal the Speedy Beast! >:)
  • waywardwizard#4349 waywardwizard Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Well first of all enough with the piercing damage. Facing off against a top combat ranger is a near guaranteed death as is, no need to add locks and others to that mess. On my Paladin, who happens to be my best geared character Ive actually met only 1 GWF I couldn't kill 1x1, otherwise they either run or die. Legendary relic weapons , 180k HP, he was a beast and was able to outheal my damage, so i know some beasts are out there. Truly bis players i guess.

Usually when another class exchanges at wills with my pal they lose ( unless top combat ranger, then I might lose :smile: ). In truth Paladins do have damage, what they lack is good ways to apply it. A GF has his stuns/knocks which also happen to be extremely high damaging, A paladin might be able to equal that same damage output but its not gonna be a burst and it wont be combined with a stun lock. Thus the GFs are super killers and paladins are not. BL has no place in pvp imo. Id love to see Smite as a ranged ability with some sort of cc built in. Binding Oath can return only so much damage. To tell you the truth I dont know how to improve paladins in pvp and perhaps we shouldn't. Perhaps the over-performers need to be adjusted back down a little bit. GFs, HRs those guys imo are too strong - borderline broken. Do you fix this by making everyone else broken ?

PS: Im gonna have to revise my statement a bit lol, recently Ive been a bit more active in pvp and Ive been meeting more and more GWFs who I cant dent. Made me realize there is a new bis level and I'm like 15% shy of it :smile:
    Post edited by waywardwizard#4349 on
  • darthtzarrdarthtzarr Member Posts: 1,003 Arc User

Well first of all enough with the piercing damage. Facing off against a top combat ranger is a near guaranteed death as is, no need to add locks and others to that mess. On my Paladin, who happens to be my best geared character Ive actually met only 1 GWF I couldn't kill 1x1, otherwise they either run or die. Legendary relic weapons , 180k HP, he was a beast and was able to outheal my damage, so i know some beasts are out there. Truly bis players i guess.

Usually when another class exchanges at wills with my pal they lose ( unless top combat ranger, then I might lose :smile: ). In truth Paladins do have damage, what they lack is good ways to apply it. A GF has his stuns/knocks which also happen to be extremely high damaging, A paladin might be able to equal that same damage output but its not gonna be a burst and it wont be combined with a stun lock. Thus the GFs are super killers and paladins are not. BL has no place in pvp imo. Id love to see Smite as a ranged ability with some sort of cc built in. Binding Oath can return only so much damage. To tell you the truth I dont know how to improve paladins in pvp and perhaps we shouldn't. Perhaps the over-performers need to be adjusted back down a little bit. GFs, HRs those guys imo are too strong - borderline broken. Do you fix this by making everyone else broken ?

If by "broken" you mean "capable of killing" then yes.

Signature [WIP] - tyvm John

edited March 2017

End game the only thing a pally can kill is a TR potentially. I know, there is no way you'll kill an end game GWF, SW, HR, DC, CW, or GF. When I reference any class and its performance it's always BIS and equal skill level. I can wreck pugs in the 2-3K IL all day long on ANY BIS character because of the gear disparity. There is no skill or comparison in making those types of apple to orange descriptions of a class.

Binding oath should be, imho, the ONLY ability a Pally has that is straight piercing damage. Without returning the amount of damage done it offers no threat end game. However, my main talking point was about allowing abilities of certain classes to reduce the targets incoming healing. Abilities like warlocks bargain or burning light. Thus giving them utility and a offering the class a little bit more threat in the age of insignias, mount heals, weapon heals, pot heals, lifesteal and random other internal health regens.

Addendum: The reason burst classes have SOOO much damage is the damage multipliers available to their class through feats, encounters, abilities etc. You mentioned GF and for good reason, it has tons of damage multipliers that make it's already considerable damage very high in 1v1's. For example:

A GF has a base damage that is then buffed by: Double mark offering huge combat advantage bonus and damage bonus, Shield warriors wrath giving damage multipliers, trample the fallen offering damage multipliers to controlled targets (most of GFs damage is CC), Into the fray offering damage buff, Powerful attack (a damage buff feat), Wrathful warrior giving damage buff when temp HP, staggering challenge from griffons wrath damage buff, reckless attacker another damge buff. By the time they hit you their damage has been multiplied many times over.

Paladin has very few damage buffs, most damage they deal is straight damage. Wrathful strikes is damage bonus to your at wills, stem the tide offers limited damage buff under specific circumstances, vengeful judge buff damage, aura of solitude offers 1v1 damage buff but not if allies are near, bane and vow of enmity which then use up one of your limited damage/survivability encounters. This is why Pallies underperform in PVP damage. A distinct lack of damage buffs. I was attempting to come up with creative methods of "buffing" their damage that would not affect their PVE status as this is always the devs concern. It's one reason piercing damage was introduced. It's easy to get above PVE DR, nigh impossible to get above PVP tenacity DR and regular DR combined. Hopefully this explains a bit why at end game damage must be ridiculous to actually kill anyone with max tenacity in PVP.

imgur pics don't work

• finalfantasyac7finalfantasyac7 Member Posts: 582 Arc User

Playing on console.

I don't have time to watch your videos unfortunately but I can tell you if you're surviving 2v1 against HR/TR/GF then the other team is either unskilled or ungeared or both. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN against a decent premade. My guildmates will wreck a 4.3 K IL SW 2v1 in seconds. If you're surviving it's because someone else is failing.

As an SW soulbinder spec you can kill CWs, other SWs, Paladins (because of loop damage from aura of courage), or perhaps TR (if they're bad). That's it. Good luck killing a GWF, GF, HR, DC. Mostly you're a fast moving tank in a 1v1 unless you go glass cannon, in which case you MAY kill another class but you're just as likely to die 1v1 and do so quickly.

Next time, please use text to explain your position as video's don't do justice because we have no idea what IL, Build, Skill level those players are on the other team.
    Those people were high geared and skilled players. I know because i play a lot with them or against them.
    I do agree a little bit with you about SW cannot survive 2v1 IF i face a maxed gf and hr. Why? because piercing gets buffed by gf and will melt me in second if im not careful. Hr class are broken anyway so why worry too much about them? Class will get a re-balance/fix sooner or later. There is no class i cannot tank at 1v1 unless its a TR using smoke bomb glitch with a dunk. i can survive 2 gf's unless they are doing the mark glitch. So yeah, without all those glitches in pvp and broken hr's, i can tank very well as a SW.

Warlock- Lv80. || Rogue - Lv80. || Wizard - Lv80. || Paladin - Lv80. || Cleric - Lv80. || Ranger - Lv70. || Barbarian - Lv70. || Fighter - Lv70.

¨˜ˆ”°¹~•-.„¸ρℓαуιиg иєνєяωιитєя ѕιи¢є 2015¸„.-•~¹°”ˆ˜¨

• ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    PVE damage vs PVP damage is definitely an "issue" and I appreciate trying to discuss this more @tolkienbuff

I think the PROBLEM is Self Healing.
    - We have talked about this a ton before. But when looking at the HPS (healing per second) in PVP, even with heal depression its insane... So classes that are more DPS focused rather than Burst focused, have a horrible time because of the Healing that is done.

So the real fix to this, would be looking at the sources of self healing and addressing that. In doing so, you will "balance" DPS classes vs Burst classes.

This is much easier said than done now though because ALLLLL the sources of self healing. I dont know the best solution frankly, because heal depression was already (IMO) a bad idea and I cant in good conscious recommend them increase it, however one POSSIBLE solution they could tinker with is increase the severity of heal depression up to 75-80% (meaning heals effectively only do 20% -25% of its PVE value). This is ONE possible solution that could help PVP.

Currently heal depression is pegged to 50%, and I think bumping it to 80% might be one "bandaid" to the problem. My only concern is how that would affect support classes like DC and if a heal DC would even be viable anymore. With a direct reduction of HPS in PVP, it MIGHT (just MIGHT) tip the scales back to where DPS is on par with Burst damage.

The other thing I would LIKE to see is them standardize tenacity across all characters and remove it from gear.
    - Bump "Damage Resistance" up to about 75%
    - Keep ARP resistance at about 80%
    - Remove Crit Suppression
    - CC Tencaity stays about the same
    - Piercing Damage now impacted by Tenacity (at 75%)

Im just brainstorming numbers but the IDEA is that with less healing (now 20% effective values) people need more tankiness (DR buffed to 75%) and no more crit suppression.

Also removing tenacity on gear, gives ALL players equal footing in PVP... Or atleast MORE equal footing in PVP. Removing piercing damage will really only affect HR and TR (to my knowledge) and SOME of that is made back up by no more crit suppression.

All in all, base damage goes down, net healing goes down, tankiness goes up slighty, crits go up compared to non crits, tenacity as a stat went goodbye.
  • waywardwizard#4349 waywardwizard Member Posts: 201 Arc User

After spending some time in PVP these past few days I can safely say that indeed my 4k paladin cant kill a darn thing :smiley: ...if that thing is bis that is.

Anyway, to be brief, Id buff a protection Paladin by making his TW more effective in PVP only. A bit longer cc and at least double damage. Thus a pally gets some reasonably instant control and the dmg to generate the essential temp health. Vow of enmity needs to become a buff + damaging attack. Applied once it activates its buff, applied a second time it delivers a ranged attack. Both the buff and damaging portion have separate cooldowns. So if I go in PVP with CoP, buffed TW and changed VoE Im sure even a pally can do some damage.
  • paixnidiaris2paixnidiaris2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 16 Arc User

This is so NOT true. All we need is a little time to gather 30 soulsparks. Thats your timeframe and only chance to make your kill.

PavlosT, PVP Scourge Warlock
    Youtube Channel