test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can Devs share some light on plans for PvP?

I'm being totally honest as player interested mostly in PvP, I think this is a question for many of us PvPers, what are the plans for PvP? Anything going to happen at all?

@mimicking#6533

Pug Panther - PvP SW until module 16 Undermountain

Youtube Channel
Scourge Warlock Haven - Legacy Build Videos - PvP Content - Other Features.

R.I.P

Comments

• Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    Not this module....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    Plans for PvP? What an optimist.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    LOL - right after they "fix" the Foundry. I wish PvP were more balanced but I've been waiting on that since Mod 2.
    I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    waywardwizard#4349 waywardwizard Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    self moderated
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    @etelgrin - my comment was no slight on you or your PvP prowess. I respect what you've accomplished with your SW and salute you for the dedication it took to get there.

Let me be more detailed in what I think PvP needs:

1. PvP needs a mechanism whereby fresh level 70s are not matched again BiS 4K+ toons with SH boons, drains, etc. Because there is no such mechanism, most folks stay away from PvP unless they're just running the daily. L2P is one thing; continuously getting stomped teaches no one anything except frustration.
    2. Drains, of any type, should never have been introduced. It was a stab in the dark by the devs that failed. Remove it and move on.
    3. PvP needs some new maps to attract at least the semi-casual player. I'm sure those of you that PvP every day would agree that the old maps are getting stale. See #7.
    4. PvP needs some new game types - CTF comes to mind. Capping a point ad nauseum was fun back in Mod 2. How about King of the Hill? Skulls (like Halo)? Something, anything, is better than what we have now. More variety would lead to more players.
    5. Some of the PvP community is quite toxic. They just want to Queue (especially pre-mades) into a match, kill some pugs, pat themselves on the back at their superiority and move on. This is off-putting for folks that just want a friendly match. Not all PvP'ers but enough that it can make folks stay away.
    6. Gauntlgrym was the epitome of teamwork in a PvE and PvP setting. They stripped out the PvE side but the PvP side can still be fun but only if everyone is acting like adults, not 13 year olds that just learned how to spell the F word.
    7. The Devs have access to a mountain of map-making talent in this game. The Foundry is an example of this. If they could promote a contest of sorts for PvP map designs that the community could then vote on and play, I think you'd see more people n PvP.
    8. BRING BACK NEVERWINTER COMBAT LEAGUE. That was the last time I played PvP on a regular basis. It was fun, the queues were short, and everyone had a great time. It was a great idea that unfortunately has not been revisited or implemented since.
    9. @mimicking#6533 - it would be great if you folks could at least talk about PvP in a post or blog article. Even the foundry has had more "press" than the current state of PvP.

For those of you that regularly play PvP, please know that no offense was meant. These are my thoughts gathered for the last 3.5 years that I've been playing.

P.S. One final thought, make PvE and PvP powers separate such that an adjustment to one does not negatively affect the other.

I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    They talked about pvp..
    They said they want to work on other things as of now
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    etelgrin said:

Guys im tired of people saying pvp is unbalanced to be honest. pvp is what it is, stop complaining and adjust or move on to where you see your playstyle fit, if you're some 2k player, maybe you should visit couple of lostmauth lairs before you venture over to pvp content or maybe don't cry about it as it is like this, some players worked for gear for modules other did pay to win, both options are viable to chose from is either time invested or money spent really this simple, it just lacks the content and attractivity. I play scourge warlock when I picked it up I did so because I heard is the weakest class and proved it to be well worth playing it and adjusted it survivability on the Hellbringer build where I don't get healing passively and 15% deflection chance from borrowed time to the top, everything is possible, is just those heavy criers always finding something, this bad or that. Adjust or leave, I'm just making my adjustments in this topic like I said. I'm asking for plans because those of you who constantly cry about something will anyway continue to do so no matter what content they release or how rewarding there will be always something.

At first glance it would seem you are correct. But a deeper look shows otherwise. At any given time there are like what, 20-30 ppl in the pvp queue if even that. Half of them if not more are part of one or another bis pre-made. The rest are road kill for whoever gets to them first once the match starts. I like pvp, Ive played it all the way since beta to now, the combat system is what makes it enjoyable. 6 of my 11 characters are in full prestige with some warborn here and there. My main is built with pvp in mind but.. I queue solo. What do I see? Either I am grouped with some other 4k monsters vs just-starting players or I am the odd one among starting players vs the 4k monsters. 1st scenario I stop playing cause everything dies by just looking at it. 2nd scenario, the bis guys kill off my team mates, see that none of them can kill my toon alone so they end up ganking me. Great fun in both cases right?

An uninitiated observer may say " - But this is a rare occasion right? '' Sadly, he'd be wrong, since this is the norm. Killing player characters half my item level is no fun, being gang killed by 5 of my equals is no fun ergo pvp is no fun.

There is no argument you can make here etelgrin. Things are either bad or worse.
  • Options
    Your reply has nothing to do with my comment. Instead of looking at the situation I described and admit its the reality you assumed Im some PVE guy who cant survive PVP and started waxing poetic about how I can improve my play... Did you even read?

• Options
    edited February 2017
    etelgrin said:

Your reply has nothing to do with my comment. Instead of looking at the situation I described and admit its the reality you assumed Im some PVE guy who cant survive PVP and started waxing poetic about how I can improve my play... Did you even read?

Typical answer, having harsh time admiting what I wrote is true, maybe play lostmauth it should not make your tears drop so hard.

Also for people saying about gearscore difference affecting so much, do you go fully potted into PvP? If not you are currently missing 38 hybrid rank 12 enchantment worth of statistics more or less which transforms somewhere into 32.000 points of statistics more or less. Measuring by TIL is far worse than measuring by actual gear score difference.

I also have many examples as well as recordings of people with TIL 3k or 2.9k performing very well in premade and also have very little to no deaths, if this concerns you, I have too many arguements to support what I said unlike your whining.
    Omg man you really did fail to read or comprehend my original comment. FYI, your own warlock needs the help of at least 2 other bis players to down my main. But that is beside the point I was making. If you want to talk about the point go back to my original post, re-read, understand what I wrote and maybe we can talk. Nothing more to say

PS: Your baiting via calling my comments "whining" and "crying" is in fact the typical trolling some PVP players resort to when they have nothing of substance to add to the discussion.

PS2: Trolls are to be ignored and reported. Done and done.

Post edited by waywardwizard#4349 on
  • Options
    The very fact that this thread is getting toxic proves my point :)
    I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    You guys, do your 1v1, and settle this - the rest of us will watch the video and munch popcorn.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    adinosii said:

Plans for PvP? What an optimist.

Lol so true.

Lets me honest guys, it's never going to happen.

To fix PVP you need....

1. Matchmaking, in order you have matchmaking you need more players doing it.
    2. To make it more accessible they would have to remove tenacity from rings,chest piece etc since the large majority will no keep taking out enchantments and putting them into another set. Those who like both pve and pvp are not going to choose only PvP (no content and broken) over PvE (most content and less broken).
    3. To balance you need to get rid of drains and I've never seen the devs remove something they have put in. Also skills that could affect pve, as well as enchantments and such. And the way Neverwinter works, rebalances are done by a class by class basis months apart so it's impossible to balance everything like they do in real PvP games. There are broken feats/powers that have been around since beta 4 years ago. So yea, thinking they will balance PvP properly is rather optimistic.

These three points are FAR to much work for an aging MMO, that needs to focus on PvE first and theres enough problems with PvE already.

It's a shame, but thats the reality of it. My advice is to just PvP if you still enjoy it and take what you can get. I know it sucks because neverwinter has a great combat system compared to most other MMOs.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    4k soloqueue HR. My experience of the current pvp climate is much the same as wayward wizard's
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    In the end it will all depend on what the higher-ups at Cryptic will give them for dev time that will determine what they will do for PvP.