test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

For those that weren't around to experience Spellplague the first time . . .

silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
edited January 2017 in General Discussion (PC)
I submit this 49 minute video for your perusal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsnJNRKRYYc

Just wanted to let the newer folks see how it was. I have not entered the new one on Preview yet.

From December 2013. NOT MINE.
I aim to misbehave

Comments

• Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Not the best showcase of this dungeon. Video left out some of the hectic parts.
  • Options
    cerberusxllcerberusxll Member Posts: 387 Arc User
    sing followed by avalanche, that sound sequence takes me back/
    Cerberus | Scylla | Orion | Makelo | Nemesis | Ares | Artemis | Asclepius | Nyx | Hades | Dexithea | Dolos | Demonax | Athena | Enyo | Medusa | Talos | Alcyone
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    I played the leveling version up on Preview. It brought back fond memories.

I hope the epic version (which "needs a little love" before it's ready for preview) will be as challenging as the original. Maybe my Control Wizard will be able to control things in a meaningful way :smile:
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User

I've only watched Kali Gold's video of the reintroduced dungeon and it looks like some of the vast space was tightened up but not *too* much. The lighting has been redone. Still plenty of mobs.

The preview party was able to run it so quickly mostly because it's only a levelling dungeon, and that was less challenging than the epic even in their original iterations.

Level 55 Spellplague didn't have the Nothic "frogs" in the final boss fight, for example, only the "zombie" mobs.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I hope those elites that shoot ranged beams hit like green dragon cultists. You get a brief indicator of their trajectory so it'll be refreshing to finally fight things that don't take 9 hours to land a red area on you. Too much HAMSTER is easy to dodge and all the minor baby hits are what kill you.
  • Options
    bvirabvira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 385 Arc User
    Singularity + shard haha old times
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    edited January 2017

I've only watched Kali Gold's video of the reintroduced dungeon and it looks like some of the vast space was tightened up but not *too* much. The lighting has been redone. Still plenty of mobs.

The preview party was able to run it so quickly mostly because it's only a levelling dungeon, and that was less challenging than the epic even in their original iterations.

Level 55 Spellplague didn't have the Nothic "frogs" in the final boss fight, for example, only the "zombie" mobs.
    Yup, and that last difference was EVERYTHING. Having players with good CC was absolutely critical in the epic version. My ultra-CC CW can't wait to be broken out of the glass case that says, "break in event of spellplague" :blush:
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    The baby SP on preview is practically void of any real mobs.

Huge open areas that are almost empty.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    The old heroics felt empty as well, if you were used to the epics.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    pitshade said:

Yes, Spellplague was a lot of running through empty space. There were side areas in many original dungeons that had flavor and exploration, but there were also areas where you were really just walking through real estate for the sake of walking. Travel that exists solely so that things will take longer is not my idea of good design, and in spite of this whole plan to make dungeons shorter because that's what the players want, dammit, the devs have been relying WAY too much on making quest objectives really far apart just to waste time or make people covet legendary mounts.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    pitshade said:

Did you see the last area before the final boss? It was GUTTED of mobs. It's not my imagination.
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    I still remember trying to get my baby CWs HV slippers from SP. Great dungeon. Hope the new version will still retain the magic.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    kemi1984kemi1984 Member Posts: 849 Arc User
    As far as I remember, SP dropped the helm - and BTW I never got it, bought it of AH after some serious farming :P
    Nancy - Dragonborn, SM Guardian Fighter
    A proud member of "mythical horde of DPS GFs"

1). Is SW more dps or tank based?
    2). Yes. I am panzer!
    3). Get ACT if you want to celebrate your epeen.
    4). Horniness will not stand between me and what I believe - "MM"
  • Options
    lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    hahah kiting the adds at the end, not much of that happening nowadays, well none
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User

pitshade said:

Yes, Spellplague was a lot of running through empty space. There were side areas in many original dungeons that had flavor and exploration, but there were also areas where you were really just walking through real estate for the sake of walking. Travel that exists solely so that things will take longer is not my idea of good design, and in spite of this whole plan to make dungeons shorter because that's what the players want, dammit, the devs have been relying WAY too much on making quest objectives really far apart just to waste time or make people covet legendary mounts.
    The biggest thing that sold me on VIP was the travel signpost - and those ME quests for Pirate's Skyhold and Icespire Peak. And SoMI is 80% padding that really can't be skipped.
    ghoulz66 said:

pitshade said:

Did you see the last area before the final boss? It was GUTTED of mobs. It's not my imagination.
    I haven't been on Preview, but I remember that area well in the old Heroic dungeon pre-mod 6. It was easily possible to avoid most or all of the mobs just by running around them then. The population density was so low that reducing it further wouldn't make any change to avoiding them, it was already trivial to do so.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    waywardwizard#4349 waywardwizard Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    Ahh good times :)
  • Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    I ran SP at least 100 times on two toons. In the quest for the helm, my HR took about 40 runs and my GF took the other 60. Yes, kiting was a thing there and in FH. Alas, kiting is no longer needed methinks. Oh well, it's fun to reminisce. . .
    I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    Spellplague was my favorite dungeon.

I argued aggaints the add fest in the dungeons that existed in...well...every dungeon from Launch EXCEPT spellplague.

Spellplague was perfect as it was. It had a great challenge and unlike many of the initial dungeons had a strategic option for those who don't like piling DPS. I really did not want it changed mechanically in any way. :(
  • Options
    crowdsourced#3904 crowdsourced Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    Neverwinter dungeons used to be so much fun. Just watch Kripparian play it. People nowadays have no idea.
  • Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    jonkoca said:

I still remember trying to get my baby CWs HV slippers from SP. Great dungeon. Hope the new version will still retain the magic.

SP epic dropped helms. ToS epic dropped chests. FH epic dropped boots. KR epic dropped gloves. The Tier 2 versions of that gear.

SP was my favorite dungeon. Best period in NW history. (Also a period where CWs exploited nearly every dungeon, by jumping into places and pew pewing where they shouldnt of been able to)

We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    OMG- The tank. He's KITING <3 and that DC has Divine Astral shield for a heal. -Sigh- CW Exploding meatball goodness. <3

Nice video xD This brings back warm fuzzies.
    Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.

• Options
    kemi1984kemi1984 Member Posts: 849 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    One of the worst things we now have in dungeons is...runing, lol it may sound weird but back in the days it was a crawl indeed.

Of course we were A LOT weaker back than, and....we were a lot slower lol. Adding to this that we had hordes of adds that was s true dungeon crawl.

That's why CN and SP were two of my favourite. Even when I look this on YT and heard those noises in the dungeon...make me shiver.
    I was one of those that hated DV tho :P I get the point that it was hard, but all those mobs that stunned and pushed my back nad forth...that was bad :D

Now? we're steamrolling through dungeons, literally. Door to door pulls are something normal, especially with "farm runs". I'm doing it yet I dislike it. That's why FBI is different, and that's why it's marked as the best dungeon we have from a long long time.
    Nancy - Dragonborn, SM Guardian Fighter
    A proud member of "mythical horde of DPS GFs"

1). Is SW more dps or tank based?
    2). Yes. I am panzer!
    3). Get ACT if you want to celebrate your epeen.
    4). Horniness will not stand between me and what I believe - "MM"