test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

(pre-mod 12) Damage Resistance debuffs effectiveness

michela123michela123 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
edited July 2017 in Guides
GROUNDWORK

Kaelac and @mythlond2 did the first tests on debuffs and found that some of them are mitigated.
In this thread you can find the 200% effectiveness cap explained by @chemodan007.

CREDITS

(in alphabetical order):
@falkon84 found the exact Dread formula and helped with some tests with Lantern, Repentant Dragon Cultist and Vanguard Banner.
@jazzfong hired some human sacrifices from the DC_Channel to help me get my Vanguard Banner on preview server and reported some changes on Frost enchantment.
@micky1p00 tested Greenscale Bowman and Vanguard Banner.
@niubaracs cross-checked TR, OP skills and Vorpal and reported me a bug on Vow of Enmity (now fixed).
@rjc9000 pointed out the missing War Boar and Token of Chromatic Storm and helped testing them.
@thefabricant cross-checked CW and HR skills, tested Ambush Drake, borrowed some enchantments and helped find people that owned items I was missing.
@zekthesinner and @thefabricant tested Faerie Fire.

DEBUFFS LIST

You can find the debuffs list in this document. I compiled it on August 2016, some information may not be updated. Hopefully there aren't typos, I derived it from the old original list. I'll try to check everything again, eventually.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1N8Y_AmqnnhOdaCT2Sg9e-OcC0m6q5nUJLfujZVsI1Z0/edit?usp=sharing

Some bugs are better explained in these bugs report:
arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1224762/lantern-of-revelation-vanguards-banner-heart-of-the-black-dragon

CAPPED AND UNCAPPED DEBUFFS

Effectiveness is lowered by enemy’s Damage Resistance, but your Resistance Ignored can raise it up to 100%. Debuffs can raise it even more, but the majority of them are capped at 200% effectiveness. Uncapped debuffs allow us to exceed this limit. This is a simplified formula to understand their behaviour:

Where:
DR = enemy’s Damage Resistance
RI = attacker’s Resistance Ignored

Example:

Enemy’s DR = 24%
Attacker’s RI = 6%
Capped debuffs = Daring Shout (20%) Bronzewood (5%)
Uncapped debuffs = Staying Power (10%) Sellsword (10%)

(1-0,24+0,06+0,20+0,05) * (1+0,10+0,10) = 1,284 (that is 128,4% effectiveness)

In this case the final damage is:
5263,8 * 1,284 = 6758,7

MITIGATED AND UNMITIGATED DEBUFFS

Mitigated debuffs are lowered by enemy’s Damage Resistance (regardless of your Resistance Ignored) and they are only 75% effective against level 73 mobs. For example a Transcendent Terror enchantment (4%) against a level 73 enemy with 60% DR is 4*(1-0,6)*0,75 = 1,2%.

EXCEPTIONS

Some debuffs work a bit differently. I’ll just give some general information about them because they really complicate the formula.

Dread:
It is capped at 200%, not mitigated by enemy’s Damage Resistance and 75% effective against level 73 enemies. It slightly increases the effectiveness of mitigated debuffs.

Ambush, Quarry, Dreadtheft:
They are multiplicative with everything, even with other debuffs from the same category, they are capped at 200% and they are not mitigated.

Ambush Drake, Repentant Dragon Cultist, Frost:

They aren’t capped at 200%, they aren’t mitigated by enemy’s Damage Resistance, but they are 75% effective against level 73 enemies. They slightly increase the effectiveness of mitigated debuffs.
Post edited by michela123 on

Comments

• thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    Great! Now I can stop referring to your debuff spreadsheet and just link this instead.

:P

• chemodan007chemodan007 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Thanks! It is wonderful! :)
    Post edited by chemodan007 on
    Drider
    edited December 2016
    I just checked dreadtheft (just to see if it is or is not going beyond the cap, to see if it is an issue with multipliers) and it is not.

With:

2x Swath
    Combustive
    2x Ray
    Divine Glow
    Dreadtheft

Effectiveness was 200%.
    Post edited by thefabricant on
    Yes,I made a mistake somewhere :# sorry
    Drider
  • jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    I feel like i want to back to game to test again... Didnt even claimed my VIP keys for a few days... TY michela for your work :)
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    just go a trans terror will come back with info.
    Post edited by mamalion1234 on
  • treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    To everyone involved in this:

Seriously i've wondered about war boar and fiery fire for so long but i didnt have the zen to try them, deep thanks.

This is a bit more specific but if anyone is interested:

Marks dont simply just stack:
    Primary mark (GF Tab mark) : 20% debuff.
    Secondary mark : 8% debuff(Mark from ET), no damage increase paired with GF mark or terciary mark, still 20%, stacks normally with tide of iron.
    Terciary mark - 20% debuff (Threathning rush)
    3 marks : 32% debuff (secondary mark is irrelevant)

GWF:
    GWF mark to gwf:
    20% from daring shout;
    20% from TR;
    32% at most

GWF mark to allies:
    8% no matter what, both marks or just one

GF/Gwf interaction
    main GF mark with ds -- nothing both
    main GF mark with tr --nothing both
    main GF mark with both - nothing both

And doesn't frostburn also apply debuff to afflicted targets?
    Post edited by treesclimber on

edited December 2016
  • silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    Great resource and thanks to all for working on this!

One tiny request - can you set it so that the column headers stay at the top when scrolling down through the data (row 7)?

Thanks
    I aim to misbehave
  • michela123michela123 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    @jazzfong I see DC section is quiet without you^^
    @treesclimber Marks were pretty interesting to test. @rjc9000 got the idea to test if the War Boar stacked with other marks and I was surprised it didn't. Frostburn has been reworked several times. I think that now (in pve) it has only a slow/disable effect. When I checked it against mobs, the debuff didn't increase my effectiveness. Anyway I only gave a quick look at it.
    @silence1x Done!
    edited December 2016
    michela vanguard banner appears to have problem when you are already at 100% from ri. ARE three things happening.
    1: you debuff the mob your first hit is 8% addition to 108%.
    2: your next hit show n/a on act. you are saying that is increasment to your ri.
    3: exiting the vanguard area and entering again i saw banner red letters to appear and then the act were showing : 92% efffectiveness my next attacks. THE area debuffed me when i gone out and entered again.

BASED ON THOSE 3 facts i think happens this: BOTH mob and player get debuff. YOUR first hit you are not debuffed. THEN the debuff triggers on you and equalises damage debuff 8% -8% damage resist debuff=0. SO for the next hit you hit with 100%. IF you exit the banner and enter again you get the debuff only you monster doesnt get it because it seems to dissapear if you exit the banner. AND you go 92% .

WHatever happens that artifact is better to not use it.

http://prnt.sc/dlghnx here is an example my ri is 75% =for sure 100% effectiveness from ri part.
    Post edited by mamalion1234 on
    @mamalion Yes, I couldn't explain it in detail in the sheet, but I linked the bug reports I did some months ago. Bear your Sins and Pillar of Power have the same bug. It was funny the first time I used Pillar and saw 90% effectiveness at dummies. We should keep reporting them until they listen to us :)

@mamalion Yes, I couldn't explain it in detail in the sheet, but I linked the bug reports I did some months ago. Bear your Sins and Pillar of Power have the same bug. It was funny the first time I used Pillar and saw 90% effectiveness at dummies. We should keep reporting them until they listen to us :)

michela vanguard banner appears to have problem when you are already at 100% from ri. ARE three things happening.
    2: your next hit show n/a on act. you are saying that is increasment to your ri.
    3: exiting the vanguard area and entering again i saw banner red letters to appear and then the act were showing : 92% efffectiveness my next attacks. THE area debuffed me when i gone out and entered again.

BASED ON THOSE 3 facts i think happens this: BOTH mob and player get debuff. YOUR first hit you are not debuffed. THEN the debuff triggers on you and equalises damage debuff 8% -8% damage resist debuff=0. SO for the next hit you hit with 100%. IF you exit the banner and enter again you get the debuff only you monster doesnt get it because it seems to dissapear if you exit the banner. AND you go 92% .

http://prnt.sc/dlghnx here is an example my ri is 75% =for sure 100% effectiveness from ri part.

whoawhoawait...

This debuffs the TEAM's damage resistance?

Uh, well... gotta watch where I step when I'm on my GF.

• jaime4312#3760 jaime4312 Member Posts: 844 Arc User
    Woah woah pillar of power does decrease damage output or damage resistance?? Can you guys answer that question please?
    rjc9000 said:

whoawhoawait...

decreased effectiveness of my damage from 100% to 92%.
    edited December 2016
    The guide from @thefabricant said:
    "Mitigated 3 Times: Maximum magnitude*(1-Defender DR+Attacker RI)*(1-Defender DR)*0.75"

Multiplier (1-Defender DR+Attacker RI) confuses me. This means that if I have low RI, these debuffs are for me weaker?

Now I found the answer to my question on another site. Do not have more questions.
    Drider

rjc9000 said:

whoawhoawait...

decreased effectiveness of my damage from 100% to 92%.
    Well, looks like I need to watch my step when playing a DPS character and I see duckonaplate.

"Mitigated 3 Times: Maximum magnitude*(1-Defender DR+Attacker RI)*(1-Defender DR)*0.75"

Multiplier (1-Defender DR+Attacker RI) confuses me. This means that if I have low RI, these debuffs are for me weaker?

Yes, assuming the debuff itself is mitigated.

If your Resistance Ignored is less than Enemy Resistance needed to do full damage, mitigated debuffs versus your attacks are weaker in making your attacks do damage.

edited December 2016
    rjc9000 said:

If your Resistance Ignored is less than Enemy Resistance needed to do full damage, mitigated debuffs versus your attacks are weaker in making your attacks do damage.
    Example.
    I have 30% RI. Mob 73lvl have 60% DR.
    I use 28% DR debuffs and Plague Fire.
    Then Effectiveness will (1-DR+RI+ƩDRdebuffs)*(1+PlagueFire*(1-DR+RI)*(1-DR)*0.75) ?
    or (1-DR+RI+ƩDRdebuffs)*(1+PlagueFire*(1-DR)*0.75) ?

Now I found the answer to my question on another site. Do not have more questions.
    Drider

rjc9000 said:

Example.
    I have 30% RI. Mob 73lvl have 60% DR.
    I use 28% DR debuffs and Plague Fire.
    Then Effectiveness will (1-DR+RI+ƩDRdebuffs)*(1+PlagueFire*(1-DR+RI)*(1-DR)*0.75) ?
    or (1-DR+RI+ƩDRdebuffs)*(1+PlagueFire*(1-DR)*0.75) ?
    I suck at math, so this is the point where I'd let @michela123 explain this.

Drider
    edited January 2017
    @rjc9000 @jaime4312 The 10% debuff of Pillar of Power decreases your damage, but only for a fraction of second. Actually, PoP has also a buff that increases your damage, so you should step inside it anyway. In this ACT log for example the debuff increases my damage by 10% for a couple of hits, then nothing, then -10% with the last hit:

@chemodan007 I’ll explain that part anyway, since probably other people have the same doubt. Let’s take for example the Sellsword (10% debuff). If you have a mob with 30% DR, 0% RI and no other debuff, Sellsword is (1-0,3)*0,10 = 7%. If then you cap your RI it is (1-0,3+0,3)*0,10 = 10%. That’s why Kaelac and other said that it is mitigated. Although the math is correct, I find the explanation inaccurate. Sellsword in fact, like all uncapped debuffs, is just multiplicative with the “base effectiveness” given by DR, RI and capped debuffs.
    First of all, you can reach 100% effectiveness just with capped debuffs and 0% RI, and in this case Sellsword is still 10%. So you don't need RI to overcome the mitigation. Furthermore, when the base effectiveness > 100% (and this basically happens in every party contents), Sellsword’s effectiveness is more than 10%, since as I said it is multiplicative. In fact, if you have 200% effectiveness, Sellsword is 20%. So if someone says those debuffs are mitigated, it just makes them appear weak, while they are actually the strongest debuffs in game.
    Also note that in the example where the Sellsword provides 7% effectiveness, the damage increase is still 10%, since 7% is 10% of 70%.
    Then there are debuffs that are actually mitigated: the High Prophet set explained by Kaelac and the ones that Sharp calls triple mitigated debuffs. This is the (less simplified) formula that includes them:

When enemy's level < 73:

When enemy's level = 73:

Where Ʃ is a symbol that means "sum of".

An example of "capped mitigated" is Terror, an example of "uncapped mitigated" is Plague Fire.
    Post edited by michela123 on
    edited December 2016

Lots of interesting stuff.

and the ones that Sharp calls triple mitigated debuffs. This is the (less simplified) formula that includes them:

I think I prefer the terms capped and uncapped to different layers of mitigation, since it describes how they function better :)
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited December 2016

Just to make sure, the parenthesis are correct? Especially the ArP part just added to the capped debufs?
    So at the end it will be:

Where I[something] is an Indicator of something and equal 1 when something = true, and equal 0 when something = false.
    Skillmodifier is the at-will / encounter / dailiy modifier and it's rank

(I don't remember the main Ability for all classes, so STR is for example)
    Yes, they just sum up. The debuffs I listed as exceptions are the only ones that work a bit differently, I'll write their formula in the next days when I have more time.
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User

Yes, they just sum up. The debuffs I listed as exceptions are the only ones that work a bit differently, I'll write their formula in the next days when I have more time.

Thanks, and thanks for all the work.
  • fogcrowfogcrow Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    thanks, awsome job^^
    The list leaves only one type of question regarding debuffs unanswered: which ones stack with the same one used by another player on the same target. f.e. If both players use trans dread: is the target debuffed for 8 or 16?
    Also, I´ve read somewhere that the debuffs from 2 dancing shields won´t stack, but the debuffs from 2 sellswords will...is that true?
    fogcrow said:

thanks, awsome job^^
    The list leaves only one type of question regarding debuffs unanswered: which ones stack with the same one used by another player on the same target. f.e. If both players use trans dread: is the target debuffed for 8 or 16?
    Also, I´ve read somewhere that the debuffs from 2 dancing shields won´t stack, but the debuffs from 2 sellswords will...is that true?

can't do much in terms of dread, but...

I can confirm that multiple Dancing Shields DO NOT stack.

Multiple Sellswords/Con Artists stack.

@rjc9000 @jaime4312 The 10% debuff of Pillar of Power decreases your damage, but only for a fraction of second. Actually, PoP has also a buff that increases your damage, so you should step inside it anyway. In this ACT log for example the debuff increases my damage by 10% for a couple of hits, then nothing, then -10% with the last hit:

Thanks for your answer, Michela, wow, Pillar of power sounds quite buggy and as such I'd like to ask you:

1. How much does it increase damage for the caster? is it 20% average or less than that?
    2. Given answer #1, do you think it is worth using it still or is it better to replace it with a hard hitting encounter such as killing flames?
    3. Considering what you know about pillar of power, do you think vorpal is a good alternative to dread, especially in boss fights? I really like at-wills and daylies (especially Hellish Rebuke and I love, TC, BoH and GoH) being more powerful, I really love Hellish Rebuke and it's what stops me from getting a dread enchantment. I'm currently on mod 10 (xbox 1) so that's pre-TC fix and I think once we get mod 10.5 I really want to stay HB SW, played SB for quite some time originally and always felt like I'd like Hellbringer more which is what happened. We have no ACT available on xb1/ps4 so testing is kind of limited, that and that you pc guys understand the game much better.

Thanks for your answer, Michela, wow, Pillar of power sounds quite buggy and as such I'd like to ask you:

1. How much does it increase damage for the caster? is it 20% average or less than that?
    2. Given answer #1, do you think it is worth using it still or is it better to replace it with a hard hitting encounter such as killing flames?
    3. Considering what you know about pillar of power, do you think vorpal is a good alternative to dread, especially in boss fights? I really like at-wills and daylies (especially Hellish Rebuke and I love, TC, BoH and GoH) being more powerful, I really love Hellish Rebuke and it's what stops me from getting a dread enchantment. I'm currently on mod 10 (xbox 1) so that's pre-TC fix and I think once we get mod 10.5 I really want to stay HB SW, played SB for quite some time originally and always felt like I'd like Hellbringer more which is what happened. We have no ACT available on xb1/ps4 so testing is kind of limited, that and that you pc guys understand the game much better.

Quoted myself lol. Anyway, hope to hear from you, really want to know the answer to these questions. Thanks in advance and keep up the good work! You're helping the community a lot with what yoou are doing :smile: