test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Terror Vs Frost

zekehubriszekehubris Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 79 Arc User
I have both a Transcendent Terror and Pure Frost enchantments available for my conqueror GF. I am seeing a lot of contradictory information about what effects these enchantments actually have. I would very much appreciate a clear and simple comparison of the effectiveness of the two.

Comments

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    In PvE...

Terror is triple mitigated, granting a mere 1.2% damage resistance debuff.

EDIT: Frost is no longer bugged and is still a solid and useable debuffing enchant.

TL;DR: use a Frost if you want to debuff your enemies.

(Since you're a Conqueror, I'm wondering why you're not using a Vorpal or Feytouched, since both increase your damage.)
    Post edited by rjc9000 on

• zekehubriszekehubris Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 79 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

(Since you're a Conqueror, I'm wondering why you're not using a Vorpal or Feytouched, since both increase your damage.)

Very simple answer, these are what I have and I don't fancy spending money :-)

• dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    I own a terror (don't laugh) cause the visual is baaaad-<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Like a sword crossed with a sphere of annihilation or a singularity. Best looking weapon enchant in the game IMHO.

Sadly, the debuff of terror is not as incredible as it's looks. Sad, really.

Not terrible, but many better choices, even plague fire.
    For conq, you should be doing damage, not debuff. Sell your terror and buy a low-level vorpal. Still more damage then terror.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.

I own a terror (don't laugh) cause the visual is baaaad-HAMSTER. Like a sword crossed with a sphere of annihilation or a singularity. Best looking weapon enchant in the game IMHO.

Sadly, the debuff of terror is not as incredible as it's looks. Sad, really.

Not terrible, but many better choices, even plague fire.

For conq, you should be doing damage, not debuff. Sell your terror and buy a low-level vorpal. Still more damage then terror.

Not going to. In fact, if you're able to successfully able to use garbage weapon enchantments, then that likely just improves your awesomeness credentials.

(and also, why did we revive this thread that was already answered long ago? lol)

• dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    @rjc9000
    "if you're able to successfully able to use garbage weapon enchantments, then that likely just improves your awesomeness credentials."

Transcendent Terror is mediocre compared to it's peers, but I wouldn't call it garbage. It works, but it is "meh".
    I just like the look of it. I switch to my plaguefire or lightning (for chain aggro) for important runs.

And thank you for the compliment, but I demure from awesome status. Lol.
    My main GF is a protector. In all modesty a very good damage-erasing tank (Bowser IV 4k), a glass canon's best friend, but no sane person has ever called a protector "awesome".

I freely admit that Tacticians bring more to the table. I just like the Bowser playstyle, bland as it is.

"(and also, why did we revive this thread that was already answered long ago? lol)"

There are three related current threads on Frost and terror right now. I searched terror to research it to prevent repetitive posting and saw this.

As one of the few sorry saps who still use Terror thought I could be helpful to the OP.

Thanks for discussing.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • sulajplsulajpl Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    Does terror & frost debuff help my party members in a Dungeon?
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    sulajpl said:

Yes, both debuffs help with any incoming damage on the enemy target.

Enemy mobs in PvE don't actually have defense or deflection, just Damage Reduction so the debuffs to the target's defense (terror) or deflection (frost) get calculated as a damage buff in the game's damage formula.

That said, the scale of the buff doesn't match the tooltip because of a "mitigation" mechanic. It's not all that intuitive, but in addition to your Resistance Ignored vs. enemy Damage Reduction apply to the actual damage you deal, it also is separately also applied to the part of the damage formula where the debuff is being applied as a multiplier. That's what is meant by "the buff is mitigated". For terror, it's especially bad since some of the mitigation calculation is applied multiple times reducing the effectiveness of the buff far below what is stated on the tooltip.

Also, AFAIK Frost scaling with power was patched in the most recent update. It's still a very solid option, but not nearly as broken-powerful as it was before with certain builds.
  • oria1oria1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    rjc9000 said:

In PvE...
    Frost is currently bugged and its debuff scales with the player's power.

Frost is not bugged and has not been for a while, the latest patch, fixed a totally different problem that frost had. The power scaling (if it happend) happend only on preview server.

Voodoo
    MoF Debuffer

oria1 said:

rjc9000 said:

In PvE...
    Frost is currently bugged and its debuff scales with the player's power.

Frost is not bugged and has not been for a while, the latest patch, fixed a totally different problem that frost had. The power scaling (if it happend) happend only on preview server.

Voodoo
    MoF Debuffer
    Check the date, it was written in November 17th when, well, it was bugged.

While I'm here, according to @michela123's notes...

Frost became a DEF3 buff, which means that the debuff is only 3/4ths as effective on Level73 enemies than if you're using a Frost on other enemies.

In exchange, Frost, in addition to the Repetant Dragon Cultist and Ambush Drake, demitigate debuff mitigation.

• oria1oria1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Though i didnt see the post date, even back then, frost was ok and as i said the bug only happend on preview.

Voodoo
    MoF Debuffer

• sulajplsulajpl Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    dupeks said:

sulajpl said:

Yes, both debuffs help with any incoming damage on the enemy target.

Enemy mobs in PvE don't actually have defense or deflection, just Damage Reduction so the debuffs to the target's defense (terror) or deflection (frost) get calculated as a damage buff in the game's damage formula.

Wow. Didnae know that the system works in these cases like THAT. Good i have some terror on my battleaxe so I make myself a bit more supportive. Shocked by this fact.
    Thanks, bit more knowledgeable from now.