test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GPU Settings Bug on AMD 16.11.2 64-Bit

zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
edited November 2016 in Bug Reports (PC)
Started getting this every load of the game since it's release on 11/04/16 after updating my GPU to "Crimson Edition 16.11.2 Hotfix" - a.k.a. "Radeon Software Crimson Edition Graphics Driver Installer for Windows 10 64-Bit."

The image depicts the version number of the game client, shown up top of the screen. The error message below that is what shows in the bottom left of the screen while in the initial loading and character selection screens. The message goes away upon pressing the Login Button. There's also a pop-up message that appears prior to the client launching but when it first appeared, I check marked for it to not show me the message again for a week or gpu version change.

I tried uninstalling my GPU Software/Driver and reinstalling it fresh, to no avail. The message appears despite me having the very latest AMD Drivers released by AMD for the 64 bit version of windows.

The game seems to play find regardless of this error. However, I figured I should report it in case it was something you needed to do on your end. Also, that message must be quite old because the AMD website has been www.amd.com for quite some time and not www.ati.com anymore, even though the latter redirects to the new url.

Comments

• paynekillapaynekilla Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2 Arc User
    It's some weeks now I installed latest AMD Graphic Drivers, actually AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.10.1 Hotfix Update.

Since then the game says I have old drivers installed: in the character selection lower left corner I have this warning:
    Your computer appears to be using older drivers for your video card
    This application may run poorly or not at all without updated drivers.
    Please update your drivers by visiting www.ati.com
    In some cases, such as laptop, you may need to get the lastest drivers from your computer manufacturer site.

Beside that the games run smoothly at very best quality settings and never crashes.

Today I even updated to version AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.10.2 Hotfix Update, but the warning is still there.

If I go to Windows device manager (got Windows 10 64bit), and see driver properties for my ASUS R9 280 it says the driver is dated 17/10/2016, is that not updated enouth? :smiley:

Is there something I can do to reset this warning, or should just ignore it maybe? I asked around and, beside almost everyone seems to have an Nvidia video card, I didn't find anyone else having this warning at game startup.
  • nwncaspernwncasper Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 9 Arc User
    I have the same problem for a few weeks.
    have latest driver installed and cant get rid of this error message.
    and the biggest problem so far is, that i cant enter preview server! i get the same error message and when i start preview i have no font, cant read anything, all buttons are empty.
    (windows 10 64bit, amd radeon r9 270x graphic card)
    any suggestions?
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    Strange... try a total reinstsll?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • laserducklaserduck Member Posts: 44 Cryptic Developer
    I doubt a reinstall is going to help. We'll look into the possibility of a code issue.
  • jiaxusaysjiaxusays Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Having the same problem on AMD R7 360 ever since updating drivers to 16.10. Also have never been able to run DirectX 11 without game client crashing repeatedly even after trying the "safe mode" work around.
  • eitchaareitchaar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Same problem here. The game launches without AMD drivers but still saying that I have outdated drivers. With the latest drivers from AMD, nada zilch zero null - stops at Cry...ptic screen, half- bar loaded and then crashes in flames!!
    Problem seems to be directx 9 coding from Cryptic or who's doin' the coding. Maybe next patch will solve it.
  • kwn2kdkkwn2kdk Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I have the same issue, and i just installed AMD Driver 16.10.3 still getting the Failure popup.
  • bahnenbahnen Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2 Arc User
    Same error here.. 16.10.3 hotfix from 27 oct.. even rolling back drivers via device managers did not work...
    R9 200 series.. really annoying when you're trying to run an up to date rig.. please help
  • isis418isis418 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Freshly downloaded & patched, when I launch the game I get a message saying that my hardware may not be able to run the game and an option to choose lowest settings instead. I was able to play on this exact PC about a year ago on high settings and earlier last month on another, weaker system.

Freshly updated drivers as well.

Other games work fine. Tested it on Dragon Age:Inquisition and it works perfectly.

When I choose the lowest settings, the game just freezes and I have to close it via task manager. When I try to launch the game from Radeon Settings, it crashes on launch..

System:

AMD 10-6800K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 4.10 GHz
    RAM 8GB
    Radeon R9 270, 2048 MB, GDDR5
    OS Win 10

Anybody know what to do? Any help much appreciated..
  • ferridusferridus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    Same here. Have you noticed it says go to ATI.com for drivers. Didn't they stop using the ATI name 6 or 7 years ago !!
  • yamato146yamato146 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 51 Arc User
    Having the same issue here. I've also noticed decreased performance. I've had to lower my graphics settings just to be able to play.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2016
    Even after updating to the newest AMD version released yesterday, I still get this. It happens in all three Cryptic Games by the way.
  • agello24#9338 agello24 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    im getting this error too! i have 2 systems that are both running neverwinter. however the system with the athlon 5350 and the 7850 is coming up with this error. The system with the fx 8310 and the rx 470 is not having this issue. what is your system build specs?
  • misquamacus2misquamacus2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 193 Arc User
    Same here on my 7970 running 16.11.2

• micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    16.11.2 on 380x
    The game wont recognize the drivers as new.
    Not life and death, but annoying.
  • stomacstomac Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Same issue here Windows 10 64bit R9 270x Driver 16.9.2 latest's stable Drivers
    also started get this same message in STO after patch.

FYI just updated to 16.11.3 drivers and still get the the same message in both STO and Neverwinter
    Post edited by stomac on
  • sidhemagesidhemage Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Same issue here on R7 200 series driver 16.9 and above with both Neverwinter and STO. This is Cryptic's response:

Thank you for contacting us. We are aware of the issue you're reporting, though Cryptic seems to believe this is an issue that is best resolved on AMD's side. It's been my understanding that this message, when ignored, doesn't actually make any adverse changes to the game itself, hence why this has been deemed by Cryptic as a low priority issue.

I rolled my driver back to 16.3.2. Anyone with this problem should contact AMD.

• negokunegoku Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I am running into the same issue. The game worked fine before. I uninstalled and then reinstalled the game and uninstalled and reinstalled my graphics drivers. I am running on an AMD Radeon 7800 HD.
  • tornnomartornnomar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Seriously? This many issues and not one fix from your end? I bought a brand new gaming rig today (Black Friday) and I can't even load the game because it crashes after telling me that my cards drivers are not up to date.
    "deemed a low priority issue" Thats golden!
    I can run Forsaken World, and other PWI games with no issue. As with others in this thread, its Cryptic's games that have issues.

EDIT: I was finally able to load the game by switching the options on the launcher to safe mode. I also chose to boot in Windowed mode instead of full screen. The game loaded.

[img][/img]NORresized.png
    Branch Lead
  • symbad#6264 symbad Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I just upgraded to a new computer to face this problem. Wont there be any action from Cryptic to fix their incompatibility with AMD?

I checked with AMD support and they said if my drivers are up-to-date, then it is an issue with the coding of the game.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2017

I checked with AMD support and they said if my drivers are up-to-date, then it is an issue with the coding of the game.

This seems much more sensible than it being AMD's job to make Cryptic's games somehow not tell you your drivers aren't up-to-date when they are.

My husband is having the same issue. Able to play the game but it does pop this error message.

The issue might also be related to y'all running Windows 10, as I am relatively certain I have a similar video card but didn't upgrade my OS, and I don't get the driver error messaging.

Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    Just upgraded to Catalyst 17.1.1 and still getting the error messages as stated in the original post. Not game stopping for me yet I'd like to see this resolved for those in which it is.
    edited January 2017

Stupid suggestion: How about just not using the Catalyst bloatware all together. It used to be pretty pointless to anyone unless you wanted to overheat your GPU. Does it offer anything you can't do without these days?

Last time I had an AMD GPU (granted, that was a long time ago when I had a similar issue with another game back then) I could just extract the drivers from the Catalyst setup by extracting the file with winrar/7zip and install the drivers manually. Failing that, copy the drivers to another location after installing Catalyst then use windows system restore to roll-back the installation and install the drivers manually afterwards. Catalyst has always caused trouble in one game or another. It's been like that since they started using it. Using stand-alone drivers used to fix most issues. Perhaps it can help people in this case?

I realize it's not ideal, but it might be something worth trying for those that can't play at all.

I've used AMD Graphics for decades and honestly, I've never had a system that couldn't handle the Catalyst Control Center. (I think it may also be key that I generally always have an AMD Processor too... most people that I know that have issues with AMD Graphics have Intel Processors. Even then, many people run both just fine. I'm fully aware that some people try to use CCC on devices that sorely need upgraded (or replaced) but really, CCC isn't bloatware anymore for anything standard within the past several years.

The only things I like it for is that it keeps my graphics drivers updated automatically and now just recently it allows you to do a fresh install instead of an overwrite upgrade, which is what I would normally do in the past. In the past, I'd uninstall CCC then run a cleaner to wipe all AMD Leftover Drivers and then install the new version of CCC. Now, the newest version of CCC does this for you if you choose. Which is another thing for many people I hear of that have issues with CCC is that they don't uninstall the old version first, they just keep overwriting the old version with the new. I got in the habit decades ago to always uninstall the old and then install the new just to ensure a clean and safe "upgrade."

Plus, I like CCC's profiles to change settings on the fly according to the game I am playing, as well as it has built in features like Eyefinity and now ReLive (which can be chosen to not install), along with more video options than what can be accessed just with the base drivers.

So, for me, it is QOL reasons that I use CCC and not just the drivers.

No need to extract drivers manually though. AMD offers just the base drivers for download separately should one choose.

• ingilliningillin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1 Arc User
    Never had a single issue for over 3 years playing the game,suddenly when somi went live all kinds of problems started:crash to desktop,blue screen.I was told by the support that they are aware of the issues with 16.9 driver and above,so roll back would solve.Well it didn't,went till december 2015 drivers from AMD,none worked;even in preview the issues are still present,maybe even more than live.Sure it's a code issue,since drivers that never had problems before,now they keep crashing or hang.It's been over 2 month that this still persist,no fix has been found and this tells a lot how much care they put into the pc version.Please don't bother me that's on my end,after all the testing with different drivers,different OS (windows 7 and windows 10 64 bit),sure it's not on my end.
  • twitchdigit1twitchdigit1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 62 Arc User
    I still have the same issues that Zebular posted in his original comment, even after my lovely husband surprised me with a new graphics card for Christmas. Bear with me, I'm not a techie person, so forgive my mistakes here...

I WAS using an AMD Raedon 7970 series with the latest drivers. I didn't let my drivers get out of date.

I NOW use an AMD Sapphire 480 with the latest drivers. Same case, I don't let my drivers get out of date (can't tell you the exact ones I'm using, I'm at work). Neverwinter does the whole "You're using old drivers..." at the character selection and login screens (no, I'm not). I also get the same pop up window at the launcher...

So...not sure what's going on, but it isn't from my end. Both AMD cards have been doing this since Storm King's Thunder went live (I think it was the first patch after actually). My husband runs an NVIDIA card (forget the name) and doesn't have this issue with the game, just me. Maybe Neverwinter hates AMD all of a sudden (it shouldn't since according to Steam, the game is optimized for AMD...).
  • drobbybdrobbyb Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm having this issue as well. System specs are as follows: Intel 6500k, 16 GB DDR4, Asus ROG AMD RX480 8GB, Asus Z170-A Motherboard, SSD and conventional hard drive. All other games run fine. Only this title has issues.
  • chrisolliecchrisolliec Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 37 Arc User
    I have the same issue with the (optional) 17.1.1 (and also .2) driver.

But this issue just popped up after installing the 1607 build of Windows 10.
    (I had this update delayed due to disk space issues that prevented any earlier installation.)

My setup:

Win 10 Pro;
    AMD FX (TM)-8150 Eight-Core Processor, 3.60 GHz;
    AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series GPU, 4 GB GDDR5 Memory;
    16 GB DDR3 Memory;
    Samsung 250 GB SDD

----------------------------------

If I had to guess, though, I'd like to blame Windows for the issue.

I can't imagine this being a mere coincidence:

Yesterday, everything was running normal - except that I was unable to install the newest version of AMD Crimson.
    Throughout the night, I installed this 1607 build of Win10 and this morning I had some issues getting my computer running smoothly.
    After I had fixed that, I wanted to play a little NWO - and first of all, I get these disturbing messages.
    I remembered the driver update and tried to do it - neither it worked from within the software nor with downloaded drivers.
    Downloaded the drivers again from AMD.com (does ati.com even exist anymore?) and finally was able to install them.

But as I started the game again, I still got this message.
    "I came from a long gone time, saw many other times...
    But I'm still human."
    Admiral Chris Curtiss, Temporal Ambassador
    ---
    "I don't like the smell of this."
    Eliza Sandtracker, Hunter Ranger