test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Missing patch note: owlbear cub nerf.

macaran5123macaran5123 Member Posts: 122 Arc User
UPDATE2: Affected classes: DC, CW, and OP dots. SW PoP and TR Smoke Bomb still proc per tick, reportedly.
UPDATE: this seems to only affect DCs, bringing their dots inline with other classes. SW is unaffected.

Just as an FYI, the patch note regarding the change to the Owlbear Cub is missing.

(Owlbear Cub now only procs once per encounter usage, instead of every tick of an encounter's damage).

EDIT: This may need to be tested for non-DC classes. (Could be DC specific?)
Post edited by macaran5123 on

Comments

• bvirabvira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 385 Arc User
    Hasn't it always been the case? It only procs once for DoT the first day I got it.
  • macaran5123macaran5123 Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    On my DC on live it procs every tick of a non-crit Forge Flame or Break the Spirit. On preview only once. I have a SW friend that is going to test if it no longer procs every tick of whatever the non-crit SW power is that they use to do ridiculous Cub damage with. I assumed it was an intentional fix.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    Paladin players should check their Burning Light too.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • hastati96hastati96 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Same with CW's Conduit of Ice. The owlbear procs just 1 time instead of every DoT now. Seems like they fixed it
    Nero - Palacetamol - Essence of Aggression
  • hastati96hastati96 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    etelgrin said:

Good cause this owlbear cub is a bit too much but on the other hand its the only thing that I seen as viable in constructing my non-crit based build on.

I agree. The owlbear had quite a good effect. I was very satisfied with it for my MoF Build. Now it is quite useless :neutral:
    Nero - Palacetamol - Essence of Aggression
  • trentbail21trentbail21 Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    Glad they are finally fixing this... now just the shadow demon 1 hitting people and we can all play seige again!! WOOT!
    Find me in game if you want and send me a domination/ gaunt invite. If you are good and im not busy ill play with you. Im not an elitist ill play with almost anyone.
  • oggycz#5356 oggycz Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    Tried it on my pally and it is nerfed/fixed. Milions of AD gone. :(
    Svatá Prdelka
    game - Human/real life - ???
    OP 18k+ Devotion/Justice - Light
  • shazza53shazza53 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    Seriously ... I know nothing is ever permanent, but this is ridiculous. This has been one of the few DPS options for a Paladin. Did I miss something where it was a bug that it procced on multiple hits with burning light? I know people said it was a glitch, but I never saw it that way. Was I wrong?
  • oggycz#5356 oggycz Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    Mine owlbear never did piercing dmg. I have it few months.
    Svatá Prdelka
    game - Human/real life - ???
    OP 18k+ Devotion/Justice - Light
  • mrshabokmrshabok Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    How exactly is the SW not affected by this? Wouldn't the description also apply to PoP DoT?
    3.5k HB Temptation -- Dread Legion
    Xbox GT -- Mr Shabok
    My Guide
  • lavlamplavlamp Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    null
    I am also curious how this does not effect sw, anyone actually test it?
  • craoluscraolus Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    I wonder why they would leave that out of the patch notes.
  • russ4ua17#7677 russ4ua17 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    Needed to be fixed. Thx for sharing. Thx Cryptic for not giving it to us on PS4 right before nerf/fix. Shocked you didn't milk us. Mr. Madoff must be on vacation.
  • crizpynutzcrizpynutz Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    So just to ask, has anyone confirmed owlbear cub on OP and SW?? Has it been changed?
  • nic1985nic1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 415 Arc User

I went on preview with my OP to test on a dummy and indeed Owlbear Cub now only procs once per non crit encounter usage.

A guildmate mentioned SW's DoT on preview still multi proc with owlbear cub.
  • bonninebonnine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 22 Arc User

So just to ask, has anyone confirmed owlbear cub on OP and SW?? Has it been changed?

it doesnt multiproc on OP anymore, on SW only 3 skills multiproc it now, rest either dont proc it at all or only 1 hit
  • polaris1986polaris1986 Member Posts: 320 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    on lurker server (version NW.70.20161025B.2 the same you have on your Preview)

DC on life:
    FF,BtS - 5/5 (procs on every DoT's hit)
    DL,CoBL - 2/2 (on 2 targets hits for each)

test.
    FF,BtS - 1/5 (procs only on first DoT hit)
    DL,CoBl - 2/2

SW on test.
    Warlock's Bargain - 1/6 (procs for first DoT hit only)
    Dreadtheft - 27/72 (procs only for each non-crit hit, chance of crit on skill - 29%)
    BoVA - 16/33 (procs as Dreadtheft, chance on crit on skill - 42%)
    PoP - 30/30 (hit for every target on every hit)

TR on test
    Smoke bomb - 18/18 (looks like SW's PoP)
    Deft Strike - 1/2 (procs for non crit hit for 2 targets, crit chance 50%)

OP on test
    TemWrath - 2/3 (procs on non crit hit for 3 targets, 33%)
    Burning light seems the same.

so nerfed only solo DoT skills
    for aoe skills it procks for every target in case of non crit

just leave to learn SW's PoP to have crit hits for sometime, hah.
    "sometimes the world doesn't need another hero, sometimes what it needs is a monster"

• archangelzorak01archangelzorak01 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 324 Arc User
    As far as doing dps on a paladin. Firstly, its not what the class is designed for. We can heal exceptionally well and we can tank exceptionally well, if we could dps exceptionally well what would the point of any other classes be?

As an aside, I can actually do a very respectable amount of damage on my healadin by speccing it similarly to how I spec my TR. 100% crit and use a vorpal but... very few people will take a healadin over a DC as the DC offers much stronger buffs and debuffs while a healadin compensates with raw healing potential. Thus is the bane of 5 man dungeons as a game design focus.

5 man content will never be a good thing to design a game around, only the 10 man or greater content will allow for full utilization of the wide array of spec's available in a game like Neverwinter. Ever wonder why 9 out of 10 paladins are tanks? Try getting a group as a healadin... but I digress.

As far as the Owlbear is concerned; no item in the game... companion, weapon, artifact, whatever... should EVER, and I mean EVER be doing 50-60% of a player's overall damage(based on SW logs from ACT). Hell, no single item should even come close to 20-25% of a player's overall damage. I consider it bad game design and makes further game development just that much more difficult, because any new items introduced would have to be made that much more overpowered in order to make people want to replace the current overpowered item they are using. It also makes it that much more difficult for the developers to balance classes when they have these recklessly overpowered (and adorable) companions wiggling their butts all over the place.

I understand the frustration from people who have built and equipped a character (at great expense) around taking advantage of this one companion... but at the same time you have to realize the danger in doing so, and accept the repercussions thereof.
    Neverwinter Module 6: The only MMO expansion in the history of MMO's to remove more content than it added.

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User

Bad generalization because Burning Light is AoE.

Seriously, anyone who built around this should have been aware of the risks.

Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • shazza53shazza53 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited November 2016

Bad generalization because Burning Light is AoE.

Seriously, anyone who built around this should have been aware of the risks.

I expressed dismay over this change earlier, so will comment on "should have been aware of the risks." Some of us didn't build around it ... we just happened to have an owlbear active and found it worked really well with burning light - for a long time. I don't PVP, so didn't think I was using an exploit. I will adapt, so this one change is not a big deal.

It just seems like it is one thing after another that is being changed. I believe you said it best earlier when you said not to chase BIS. I have viable level 70 toons for all classes, so can adapt. I did calculate I've spent millions of AD to improve my toons, only to have those items nerfed, even though none were equipped to consciously take advantage of an exploit. (The AD spent includes Masterwork, which is probably a different subject but still adds a straw to the camel's back).

Again, that's the nature of the game, and we learn not to count on anything that is too good to be true. But a day or two of being disgruntled is perhaps allowed, especially when these changes are not advertised but are just dropped into the game.

• macaran5123macaran5123 Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    Further testing on my DC has shown that whatever they did to the Cub has re-broken the Owlbear on DC's Chains of Blazing Light. I can not get Chains to proc the owlbear under any situation.

Are there any HRs out there that could test if their "ground targeted trap" spells also are broken with the change?
  • polaris1986polaris1986 Member Posts: 320 Arc User
    what's your last patch number on test?
    "sometimes the world doesn't need another hero, sometimes what it needs is a monster"

• emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    Now this can be called 'fixing a bug'. Proc on every tick of a dot is too much, my pally never relied on the broken cub for dps. Also guys if you have played this game for some time now you should know not to jump and invest in every broken thing coming out. Cryptic releases broken things on purpose to milk us. Then they fix them and release the next.
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • thetrixterchickthetrixterchick Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Lather rinse repeat...

ABRA CADABRA ...aww you're still talking....
  • crizpynutzcrizpynutz Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Honestly, what's NOT broken? If we don't invest in things that are broken might as well uninstall. Is anything about DC WAI? Guess I shouldn't play that class. We could go on and on.

My problem with most of these "fixes" like keygate, SW's TC, etc. Is they are micro targeted changes that tend to have macro level impacts. There needs to be a balanced approach to these changes that doesn't swing the scale so far one way or the other.
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    The problem about those broken stuff (and multiprocs from boons and DOT´s is exactly what is broken in NWO since release because they forget to test things or implement an internal CD...allways.
    Some day those things get fixed and a hole class/paragon, aimed to be balanced, seems to be build arround bugs and doesn´t work that great anymore... I am sure this already happened in NWO, can´t remember wich class.
  • artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    Owlbear cub and HR :

- Multi-proc
    Rain of Arrows, Thorn Ward, Fox Shift

- No proc at all
    Marauder's Escape, Spilt the Sky