test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Introducing our newest Community Moderator, tripsofthrymr!

strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
With the influx of new players from three different platforms now, the community team has decided to recruit another Community Moderator!

I'm sure you guys already know him from his presence here in the forums and in-game, but say hello again to @tripsofthrymr. He'll be joining @ironzerg79 @zebular @kreatyve @ambisinisterr to be the fifth moderator for these forums.

I'll let him say hey himself :).

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

Comments

• tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    Well met!

I have been playing D&D since the box set. My friends and I eagerly awaited the first Player's Handbook, then the Monster Manual, then the ultimate gaming book... the Dungeon Master's Guide. Not 5.0, 4.0, 3.5 or even 3.0. Old-school, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. When I heard that a Neverwinter MMO was in Open Beta, I was hooked and have been an active player ever since.

I founded the guild Caritas to help players newer to Neverwinter get off to a good start. Feel free to talk to me in game if you have any questions about Neverwinter. Chances are good I either know the answer, or know where to find it and I'll do my best to help you.

We have been through ups and downs with the game. That's to be expected. Player feedback really is heard by the development team and so I'm excited to help keep that feedback flowing and where necessary help keep things respectful.

Yi the Charitable (DC)
    Agni (CW)
    Vorn (GF)
    Rynor (HR)
    Leogan (SW)
    Ian (OP)
    Nox (TR)
    @tripsofthrymr

Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    Welcome to the team! :smiley:
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    Have fun buddy! >:)

I'd personally like to see a bit more variety in the Community Team. Judging from the outside all Moderators seem to be very similar lore/d&d/rpg-focused that come from the same niche of players. Since I didn't catch an official recruitment thread, I assume you recruit personally and basically get someone you like and probably is a lot like you.

Don't get me wrong, I just think the team should represent more aspects and groups of the playerbase. Most rules are not objective so having players with a different background and ties helps to properly understand and evaluate certain situations. It's especially important since the Community Team has never been uncontroversial and a one-sided view on things indeed has created issues.​​
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    loboguild said:

Judging from the outside all Moderators seem to be very similar ... Since I didn't catch an official recruitment thread, I assume you recruit personally and basically get someone you like and probably is a lot like you.

@loboguild, that's a reasonable concern. However, I think you'll find that I bring my own unique perspective to the moderator team. You don't have to look further than my signature line for a hint that I am vocal about my point of view on game matters. I go way back as a D&D player but if anything my specialty is systems, not lore. I have a good understanding of how the combat system works (that understanding was better when I was heavily into PVP mod 5-ish) and a good understanding of how the economic system works. I understand how they can be manipulated and how they can fail.
    loboguild said:

Most rules are not objective so having players with a different background and ties helps to properly understand and evaluate certain situations. It's especially important since the Community Team has never been uncontroversial and a one-sided view on things indeed has created issues.​​

Every view point is important. Neverwinter is strongest when it speaks to a wide range of players and respects a wide range of opinions. Respect. There's a word. When people differ in their opinion, respect for the other party is key to bridging gaps. I encourage all communication and I also encourage that communication to be respectful. My view on a particular issue is unimportant. As long as discussions are respectful, I will support them.

If you have specific concerns, feel free to PM me in game or in the forums. We won't all agree all of the time but I'll do my best to ensure that all opinions are heard.

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Good to have you here with us! Huzzah!
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    congratulations (or more likely, commiserations)

I'm sure the rest of the team could use some help keeping the rest of us unruly types under control when the next round of class balancing is up for discussion :)

AD&D ??? - old school indeed ;p
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    metalldjt said:

why did u picked only community moderators that are/can be manipulated as you wish, and u didnt chose one from other guilds aswell ?
    synergy,eoa , midnight, gutbuster ?

lol
    good luck trips, dont sell your soul
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    Best wishes, Trips.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    metalldjt said:

why did u picked only community moderators that are/can be manipulated as you wish, and u didnt chose one from other guilds aswell ?
    synergy,eoa , midnight, gutbuster ?

I actually did spend some time in EoA around Mod 5 when PVP was fun for me. I founded my current guild, Caritas, to help newer players get off to a good start.

Every community does best when all opinions are heard. Discussions flourish when community members are respectful of others, even (and especially) if they have a different opinion. It is in that spirit that I will moderate.

• xxmantaraxxxxmantaraxx Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    Awesome! Good to see another vocal and very individual forum user become a Mod!

Happy to see that you will be looking out for us regular lurkers XD

Ara Atheanes GWF
    Traxus Atheanes GF
    Bastiel Atheanes DC
    Ellara Atheanes CW
    Keira Atheanes TR
    Sarasin Atheanes SW
    Jerkface McGee HR
    -MANTARA- OP

• frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Sweet, good luck ahead trips... ;)
    Post edited by zebular on
    FrozenFire
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    @tripsofthrymr
    Congratulations... I guess? I mean to say, I would never wear a chain and shackle while sitting at the computer. The worse thing is this means yet another forum friend I have to walk on eggshells just to be around. In the future, I will typing up some reply or cute retort and the next thing I know... "Oh God! Their name is green!! Hit delete! Delete! Abort! OMG, ...." user banned.

I wonder if you will become all corrupted by your new super user powers? Start wearing a uniform and develop a narcissistic personality disorder? Pretty sure that it starts small, by replacing grammatically incorrect slang with cute fuzzy animals and progresses to a major meltdown, resulting in someone sitting with underwear on their head tell everyone to what they should think about the current political state of the Principality of Sealand.

Yes, so I will once again applaud your promotion to moderator, and tip my hat - if I had one. Remember there is no pay check... unless you are into counting grey hairs. One last bit of advice before the medications start working. Whatever you do, don't drink the Kool-Aid™.

Good Luck!
    wb-cenders.gif
  • kuero21kuero21 Member Posts: 454 Arc User
    wow, this moderator is new and already has over a thousand posts.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    kuero21 said:

wow, this moderator is new and already has over a thousand posts.

Cause he's been on the forums for a few years? Moderators are just volunteers, we are mainly just players like you.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • kuero21kuero21 Member Posts: 454 Arc User
    oh.. so moderators get recruited from the forums?
    kuero21 said:

And the game, yes. StrumSlinger is in charge of that.
    kuI2v8l.png
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    So Trips is not replacing Ambi? Because Ambi seems so inactive, I figured he quit.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    Thank you for joining the team tripsofthrymr!
    You've been an active member of the forums nearly as long as I can remember which is all the way back to the pre-alpha days. And wow...all the way to the Box Set? You are giving Zeb a run for his money. I started back in the tail end of the AD&D days. :D

My only gripe is now I will actually have to learn how to spell your name. I've been like Nemo saying anemone with your name for three years now. Tripsoftyme, tripsofthryme, tripsoftimer...I give up!
    kuero21 said:

Yes. Every person labelled "Community Moderator" is a player with some permission changes on the forums. We have the ability to contact Andy (The Community Manager) and a select few other staff members but we are players that volunteer personal time to help the CM keep the forums safe and friendly and act as additional eyes and ears for critical issues or feedback for the developers.

So Trips is not replacing Ambi? Because Ambi seems so inactive, I figured he quit.

I am still around. I work a lot more hours the last year to two years than I have in the past and seeing that we are in the middle of peak season work is only getting busier right now. Even my free time seems to be less and less free as I am either drafted to help family and friends or lack of energy has me more interested in bed or TV than interacting with a computer screen. :p

I am normally around at the slowest time of the day (now) and the little moderating that needs to be done ends up being quietly done or behind the scenes. So I am officially a lurker. :D
  • ravenskyaravenskya Member Posts: 1,891 Arc User
    Congrats and welcome! Though it seems like everyone else already knows you - I just showed up with PS4 so HI!
    Founding Member of "Wrong Side of the Stronghold"
    Ravenskya - TR / Krisha Chaos - OP / Waffles - GF / Dex Domitor - HR
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

My only gripe is now I will actually have to learn how to spell your name. I've been like Nemo saying anemone with your name for three years now. Tripsoftyme, tripsofthryme, tripsoftimer...I give up!

OK let me help you out.

Thrymr is from an old D&D campaign involving a village named after a Norse god Thrymr (one of several variant spellings).

Trips is a character name I have used in many online and offline games.

Trips as a handle was already taken. When creating the account, it looked like casing would be respected, as in TripsOfThrymr. Well, totally wrong. Different UI's - forum, game client, gateway (I miss you....) - used different rules for capitalization. Confusion ensued. I soon realized I wanted to change the handle, and soon realized it can't be done. Oh well. Now you have to deal with it :smile: Auto-complete is your friend.

• ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User

Congratulations... I guess? I mean to say, I would never wear a chain and shackle while sitting at the computer. The worse thing is this means yet another forum friend I have to walk on eggshells just to be around. In the future, I will typing up some reply or cute retort and the next thing I know... "Oh God! Their name is green!! Hit delete! Delete! Abort! OMG, ...." user banned.

By all means please feel free to PM me any insults, jokes, wacky gifs or other retorts directed at Trips, and I'll personally ensure they're delivered. :smiley:
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1

Congratulations... I guess? ... The worse thing is this means yet another forum friend I have to walk on eggshells just to be around.

Banned! Just kidding. I have been one of those voices calling for improvement since open beta. I care about the game and want to see steady improvement. As long as you treat others with a reasonable level of respect, I look forward to seeing your opinion on the forums.

@tripsofthrymr
    I wonder if you will become all corrupted by your new super user powers? Start wearing a uniform and develop a narcissistic personality disorder?

What do you mean... develop a personality disorder? Bua ha ha! Seriously though, I'm not here to exercise superpowers over those that express themselves differently than I wish they would. I'm here to try and keep the discussion positive or at least respectful.

• hav0clolhav0clol Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 147 Arc User
    Guys he literally has a thread on the front page of this very forum criticising the sharp decrease in voucher drop rates this event.

By all means please feel free to PM me any insults, jokes, wacky gifs or other retorts directed at Trips, and I'll personally ensure they're delivered. :smiley:

Uh huh. And since when can a normal forum user PM anyone, let alone a mod? ;)
    That should be fixed now. Please see if you are able.
    kuI2v8l.png
  • josephskyrimjosephskyrim Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    Congrats Trips! :smile:
    If you can't stand on a chest, it is a mimic!
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Wait wait wait. Did someone say up there that sitting in the corner with underwear on one's head is somehow inappropriate?

Erm. Oh. *slowly removes underwear from head*. Ahem.... right then.