test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Kitten you! And kitten your kitten ancient ostorian chest!

jaysun1977jaysun1977 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 177 Arc User
Seriously, wtf? 13 runs, 13 keys and all I have to show for are flawless saphire, enough to paint my house blue and salvage items! Not a single armor item drop! This a blatant cash grab to force players to spend their key before they know whether there is an armor item in there for them or not.
There is no reason, other than greed to not just add the contents of the box to the loot table of the reward chest in general, so players know when to spend a key and when not to. But I guess you didn't sell enough keys, so now you just force players to spend them.
Add to that the ridiculous cost of the campaign key that basicaly means you get a CHANCE at an armor piece every 6 FBI runs, unless you throw money at your zen store!

Given your miserable communication policiy, this is just another slap in the face of your player base! There is no excuse for this.

Comments

• frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    100% agreed. Just insane. They priced the 'free' keys soo darned high and additionally force you to use your key. This is just terrible. The campaign keys are pretty expensive at even just 2k VB but they had to add an additional 55 TTS. :rage:
    FrozenFire
  • sh00termcl0vinsh00termcl0vin Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    You can't even preview chest contents before using a key? Looks like lootless breaker island will be a one and done for most people. Way to kill farming...
  • jaysun1977jaysun1977 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 177 Arc User

You can't even preview chest contents before using a key? Looks like lootless breaker island will be a one and done for most people. Way to kill farming...

You can preview the chest content, but here's the catch:

The new armor pieces can be found only inside a "ancient ostorian chest" (or somesuch nonsense), wich is a drop inside the left Reward chest (yes, a chest inside a chest as a reward drop). To open the left Reward chest, you need either the campaign key or a legendary dragon key.

You need to use up either of these keys to loot the ostorian chest from the reward chest. You then need to open the ostorian chest in your inventory and it can have a salvage item or refinement stone (usually a flawless sapphire, I have seen aquamarines, black opals and brilliant diamonds as well, though) or a piece of unrestored relic armor.

So, before you even know if the chest contains an armor piece, you already had to spend the key. And then, even if a piece drops, it's not even sure if it is the one you wanted.

It is absolutely ridiculous!
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Yes it's HAMSTER, we know it. I only take the chest if there's a rank 8 + enough salvage in the box to make it up for the cost of the key, which doesn't happen often. There's only junk in that paid secondary chest, and it's a complete waste of money and time. The fact that armor is hidden inside another RNG box is absolutely infuriating.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    After the very long thread on preview discussing loot in FBI, they put RNG inside RNG to get the good gear? Kittens. :(
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    The gear just isnt good enough to warrant this.

And as a special bonus if you do bother...you get to farm lanolin and blood and other stuff just to restore it. And THEN you get to farm blood for hours just to use it for less time than it took to farm it.

Remind me why I would want to do this?
  • mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    I was almost going to write a similar post. I have done probably 15 to 20 FBIs, and the way the extra chest at the end is structured, you have to open the box to see if get get a good piece of gear. So far, I have mostly gotten black opals. I am not going to spend zen to buy any more keys. NO way.

Now, that said, by doing FBI and opening the extra chest, we get plenty of ten town supply which has allowed me to get the epic shirt and pants and their re-enforcement kits. Also, I now have two rings from FBI that are actually better than my current rings, so I always have them on along with the shirt and pants also. So, basically I have enough gear without even needing the relic gear from that last extra chest.

Once I finish my boons, I am basically done with mod 10. I would only go back and do FBI if there was something of value to sell, but this game doesnt really do that anymore.

This is working out good for me, because by not getting the relic gear I dont have to worry about farming those miserable HEs anymore.

SO, now I just will do dailies/weeklies until I get last two boons and its adios mod 10.
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • andorrabellandorrabell Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 437 Arc User
    I was about to write the same post. KITTENS. And on top of all this, the rings are bound to CHARACTER, so I can't even use them to defray everfrost resistance issues on alts. Truly, truly horrible risk and cost for keys versus rewards.

Please fix this asap- no one is going to run this content with this situation with the chests and rewards.
    @everyone
  • bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User
    This is the reason I'm not wasting my time to get into this dungeon that gives NOTHING useful except campaign currency as a reward. Ran it several times on preview and got only flawless sapphires. Not running a dungeon to get rings I don't need or RP I don't want. I'll just complete the campaign and move on.
    Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.

• hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    Please calm down, folks. The devs have said that they're taking a second look at the rewards. Just don't run it for now: that's what I'm doing. Sit it out and see what changes they make.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • sh00termcl0vinsh00termcl0vin Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    "Taking asecond look" usually means adding more useless bound items and then patting themselves on the back for a job well done.
  • ubershortyubershorty Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    and people wonder why I've not even stepped FOOT into the new areas yet, rofl ... SEE ABOVE!
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User

Remember the chest rule - Open the chest, if you don't like the contents - You do have the option to decline. That saved me a lot of wasted keys.

Remember the chest rule - Open the chest, if you don't like the contents - You do have the option to decline. That saved me a lot of wasted keys.
    You didn't read what I wrote, so you are forgiven. The armor piece is a chance of a drop in a chest, within the reward chest. You already have to spend the key to even get the chest into your inventory, long before you had the chance to see what's in the box.

To avoid confusion, let me use different desriptions:

Standard Reward Chest (SRC): The treasure chest unlocking after you kill the final boss, requires an epic dungeon key
    Extra Reward Chest (ERC): An additional treasure chest next to the reward chest. Requires either a campaign key or a legendary dragon key.
    Ostorian Box (Box): A possible drop with in the ERC and only the ERC.

The armor pieces can only be inside the Box. They can not be inside the SRC and they can not be a standalone drop inside the ERC. The only way for you to get those pieces, is if you open the box, for which you need to loot the ERC first, having to spend a key to do so, to then have a random chance at either an armor piece, random refinement materials or a salvage item.

To give you an idea: I am now through 15 keys and 15 Boxes and still no armor drop.
  • greyhawk#1973 greyhawk Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    Damn, this mod sucks and I haven't even played it yet. Wow, can they get any more out of touch with what retains players?

This would be a funny thing to watch from the outside, but I'll be living it soon. *Sigh*
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    All fo you guys are obviously doing it wrong. @sharpedge is making 1 mill AD per day from FBI by his own admission so yeah, shut it and grind it
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    hustin1 said:

Please calm down, folks. The devs have said that they're taking a second look at the rewards. Just don't run it for now: that's what I'm doing. Sit it out and see what changes they make.

It still doesn't change the fact that not being able to determine the real value of the content from the second chest due to the silly mystery box is mildly infuriating. The value of the content of the second chest is very often inferior to the value of the key required to open it. I would still complete the collection just for the sake of it, or in case the devs finally see the light and make maintaining relic gear trivial, but the current stae of thing is that this is absolutely horrible for those of us who hate gambling, and apparently, we are many. This box is a very, very bad idea and there's no way to make it better. Gear should be dropping in both chests and not hidden, period.
  • silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    My plans: FBI - nope. Mod 10 campaign - slowly but surely. Not gonna get excited about anything yet as I'm sure they'll change it as soon as enough people have complained or made it through FBI. Same thing happened to Black Ice Empowering, reducing the black ice drop rate from the Remo HE because they couldn't fix the graphics issue with so many pieces falling after you had won the event, removing dungeons, gateway, etc.

So, for now, this Mod is just like some of the other bad ones - Same as it ever was.

I'd love to know if anyone in their marketing/business department plays this game?
    I aim to misbehave
  • arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    This is such a poor mechanic and coupled with the great dislike it has generated, I will wait until Black Ice 2.0 is removed. It is however a question of when.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • pekupekuipekupekui Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 21 Arc User
    I see I'm not the only one who sees a problem with having to open a chest with a ZEN key (or campaign key that it's somewhat expensive to make) to get a CHANCE to get the new armor. I just hope they don't follow this for future content...

"Spend ZEN for a CHANCE to unlock the new content!" Or 1 tarmalune if you fail.
    edited September 2016
    pekupekui said:

I see I'm not the only one who sees a problem with having to open a chest with a ZEN key (or campaign key that it's somewhat expensive to make) to get a CHANCE to get the new armor. I just hope they don't follow this for future content...

"Spend ZEN for a CHANCE to unlock the new content!" Or 1 tarmalune if you fail.

I hear ya. I'm at 19 keys now and not a single armor drop.

The main issue is this:

You have principally three methods to award loot from content.

1. You award loot directly upon completion
    This works well for quests and short term goals but not so much for high end rewards. To obtain high end rewards that easy would cheapen them and reduce the sense of accomplishment of actually gettign them.

2. You award loot currencies and allow the rewards to be purchased for several successes worth of currency.
    This version is bascially what the seals did and still do. It allows the achievement to still feel rewarding, while making the actual acquisition something that can be planned for and worked towards. It does, however not grant the "lucky drop feel" of getting something you really wanted dropped or something really valuable.

3. You award loot at random, with a small chance of handing out the desired reward.
    This is basically what they have done here, what they have done previously with the rings and and what they have done previous to Module two. There is an important difference between how they did it before module 2 and how they did it with the rings: The loot previous to Module 2 was auctionable.

And this is where Cryptic dropped the ball. I can to some degree understand their reasoning behind no longer making sellable armor drops part of their loot mechanic, but if you make that decision you CANNOT make reward distribution random. It is idiotic. It goes against all basic game design premises and completely fails to aim at the pleasure center of your customers. It is a rookie mistake, it is a silly mistake and it is an unnescessary mistake. It leads to frustration, anger and disappointment.
    If you have loot drop at random, it needs to be auctionable so players can trade the pieces to complete their set. If you don't do that, you run the risk that some players, regardless of their efforts and achievements will never complete their set and that is a terrible designdecision and by proxy a terrible business decision.

There are a few things I actually like about Mod 10:

- FBI is actually fun to run
    - The new HEs feel challenging and the monsters are actually a threat to lower geared alts.
    - The new boss mechanics are versatile, challenging, yet fair.

But I guess this is just a lucky break on their part. When it comes to game design competency, this reward mistake is a failure that is not to explain by anything other than sheer incompetence. And it is not alone:

- Campaign costs in general (to be addressed next patch
    - Unnescessary EFR requirements for the new content
    - Impossible bugs (like the SW problems)

And I am not talking about just bugs. Those can happen in every game at every update. I am talking about bugs that should not be possible, like elixirs that not only don't work as intended, but can also be consumed during a death state, or like knockdowns that accidentally perma-stun CC immune targets (how the fvck that could happen is utterly beyond me), or damage blocking abilities that don't block damage... the list goes on.

It is that incompetence paired with the utter arrogance that infuriates me most of all.
    Post edited by jaysun1977 on
  • sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User
    They need to put the Relic Chest in the first Chest (the one that you use the Epic Dungeon Key on).

They also need to keep the Relic Chest in the second Chest (Which you use a Runic or Leg Dragon Key).

Thus - spend Zen on the key, have double the chance of getting the gear.

Look @strumslinger - I fixed it.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User

They need to put the Relic Chest in the first Chest (the one that you use the Epic Dungeon Key on).

They also need to keep the Relic Chest in the second Chest (Which you use a Runic or Leg Dragon Key).

Amazing! You really did.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia

That would make it a lot more bearable, but it wouldn't fix it. There would still be a chance that some players, regardless of how many times the run fbi, would get their set together, unless you allow the set items to be traded.
  • sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User
    I know it's not perfect - but considering the line of thinking the devs are going with on how they want us to get the gear, this is the closest to what they want plus what we want. I'd be really happy with this compromise (I obviously want BOE and also a higher drop rate, but I'll take what I can get right now).

I know it's not perfect - but considering the line of thinking the devs are going with on how they want us to get the gear, this is the closest to what they want plus what we want. I'd be really happy with this compromise (I obviously want BOE and also a higher drop rate, but I'll take what I can get right now).

I can certainly emphasize with that line of thought. It's a sad state of affairs, though, if we're looking forward to swallowing a HAMSTER rather than poison and given no other option.
  • andorrabellandorrabell Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 437 Arc User
    edited September 2016

Sorce for Emperor of the known universe.
    + at least make the rings account rather than toon bound.
  • asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    A friend ran FBI, each run between 30 min and a whooping 3h and she got bound to character +5 rings and sone HAMSTER. I continued grinding POM and got the +5 rising crit ring, BtA.

I got 3k RAD and min. a blue ring to salvage/ 15 minutes, she got BTC rings and gear I would not use, if I would get it for free.

Many players, including myself, asked the Devs on preview, to spike the loot. They promised it, they failed. Good intentions dont make ppl run a dungeon, good design and rewards do.

BTW I wont get my hopes up on 'we look into it'. They are still 'looking into' dragon hoard nerf and Stronghold HE nerf. Guess what happened?
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.