test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

RNG still disgusting

feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
Many people have suggested changing the RNG so that after every failed attempt to win loot or refine an item 1% gets added to the chance of success. This would be a welcome change.

So would simply letting us bypass the thing while refining. This would mean simply sumping enough preservation wards into an enchantment to avoid gambling, i.e. 33 wards for an R12, 20 for an R11 and so on.

After 50 attempts to make an R11 I'm beyond frustrated with it.

Comments

• rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Cause you never lost 82 preservations for a rank 9
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    50 attempts for 5% is only 2.5 times worst than average. Not unreasonable. I've had much worst, like 5x worst than average happen a few times already.
  • qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    And, as with all things relating to RNG in NW, some people have good luck/runs while others have bad ones. I just refined an Epic Off-hand to Legendary at the second attempt. So I only burned up one P-ward. At a 10% chance, I definitely beat the odds. I just hope my run of luck lasts throughout this 2 x RP weekend.
  • feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    Yes. I. Know. Sometimes. You. Get. Lucky. The reason I posted this is to emphasize the suggestion that Cryptic should implement a way to avoid having to gamble with the RNG.
    Yeah, it's called a coal ward. But its like very expensive insurance. Might be worthwhile to use for the 3% upgrade for peace of mind.
  • zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    The problem, I think, is that people allow themselves to experience the game as if it is a lottery. That the main way to proceed is to randomly advance. If you instead view it as a game where you steadily acquire wealth to purchase what you want, and random good fortune is just a non-essential bonus, then it's easier to enjoy. Or easier to abandon the game, if you really hate grinds, I guess, and can't/won't put in what's necessary. I always play with an eye to my guaranteed gains, and any coincidentally fortuitous events are just a pleasantry. The unfortunate events just fall away as background noise.
  • drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    Do your research... it is not a standard random roll RNG. It is like "gambling" or "playing the slots"... where every hand or pull is a new chance at the odds.
    10% does not mean that 1 in 10 rolls will come up with gold. It means that you will have a 10% chance... every roll of the RNG monster. Oh yeah... and if you are in a large area, with a high population... you may want to move to a low pop one. It has been theorized that we are competing against the others who may be rolling on that map at the same time. Meaning if someone is trying their luck at a node... you are screwed.
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    It took me 47 attempts with a 20% chance. RNG isn't disgusting, it's just pure HAMSTER in most cases. I suspect someone at cryptic is sadistic and enjoys adding RNG even where it doesn't make any sense at all, like opening skill nodes with kits.

Yes. I. Know. Sometimes. You. Get. Lucky. The reason I posted this is to emphasize the suggestion that Cryptic should implement a way to avoid having to gamble with the RNG.

Cryptic earn a significant chunk of revenue by selling C-Wards. This is the option Cryptic has implemented to avoid the RNG. They also provide P-Wards as a way of potentially mitigating the swings and roundabouts of RNG. You are basically saying they should remove RNG as an option altogether. You might as well simply suggest that Cryptic offer fixed prices for upgrading enchantments and the like along the lines of the existing Companion Upgrade options. While that might hold some appeal, it is simply never going to happen as long as Cryptic see players gambling on their version of RNG as a good way to generate revenue.

• hammbo1969hammbo1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 165 Arc User
    Can't remember who posted it (kind fellow), but if you fail five times with a pres ward, log out and back in and it seems to help with the success.

Now I poo poo'd this, but I managed to get from rank 10 to rank 12 on three bondings using this routine exhausting only 25 pres wards.

Make of this what you will...

Yeah, it's called a coal ward. But its like very expensive insurance. Might be worthwhile to use for the 3% upgrade for peace of mind.

Gee, I never heard of those. Maybe I'll start a thread suggesting a less expensive way to upgrade to an R12 that still benefits Cryptic. Oh, wait...
    drkbodhi said:

Do your research... it is not a standard random roll RNG. It is like "gambling" or "playing the slots"... where every hand or pull is a new chance at the odds.
    10% does not mean that 1 in 10 rolls will come up with gold. It means that you will have a 10% chance... every roll of the RNG monster. Oh yeah... and if you are in a large area, with a high population... you may want to move to a low pop one. It has been theorized that we are competing against the others who may be rolling on that map at the same time. Meaning if someone is trying their luck at a node... you are screwed.

Do you seriously believe that you are the only person on the internet who knows the obvious facts behind a discussion, or does it just make you happy to pretend that you are?
    qexotic said:

Cryptic earn a significant chunk of revenue by selling C-Wards. This is the option Cryptic has implemented to avoid the RNG. They also provide P-Wards as a way of potentially mitigating the swings and roundabouts of RNG. You are basically saying they should remove RNG as an option altogether. You might as well simply suggest that Cryptic offer fixed prices for upgrading enchantments and the like along the lines of the existing Companion Upgrade options. While that might hold some appeal, it is simply never going to happen as long as Cryptic see players gambling on their version of RNG as a good way to generate revenue.

Gee, I never heard of coalescent wards. Maybe I'll start a thread suggesting a less expensive way to upgrade to an R12 that still benefits Cryptic. Oh, wait...

qexotic said:

Gee, I never heard of coalescent wards. Maybe I'll start a thread suggesting a less expensive way to upgrade to an R12 that still benefits Cryptic. Oh, wait...
    Since you clearly did not bother to read most of what I said, I will follow your example and repeat it:

So you are basically saying they should remove RNG as an option altogether. You might as well simply suggest that Cryptic offer fixed prices for upgrading enchantments and the like along the lines of the existing Companion Upgrade options. While that might hold some appeal, it is simply never going to happen as long as Cryptic see players gambling on their version of RNG as a good way to generate revenue.

Oh, and a little P.S. Since the maintenance patch finished on Thursday, I have experienced my best ever run of refining RNG since I started playing this game. I have used 89 P-Wards but that has given me three pieces of Artifact Gear taken from Epic to Legendary, five Rank 9 enchants from 20 Rank 7s, two more Rank 9s from four Rank 8s, my first Rank 10 from two more Rank 9s I made from four Rank 8s, one Rank 11 Bonding Runestone to Rank 12, and finally one Perfect Bonding to Rank 11. I don't like to think how many it would have taken me using the method suggested at the start of this thread.
    qexotic said:

qexotic said:

Since you clearly did not bother to read most of what I said, I will follow your example and repeat it:

So you are basically saying they should remove RNG as an option altogether. You might as well simply suggest that Cryptic offer fixed prices for upgrading enchantments and the like along the lines of the existing Companion Upgrade options. While that might hold some appeal, it is simply never going to happen as long as Cryptic see players gambling on their version of RNG as a good way to generate revenue.

If you're going to suggest that someone didn't read your words, you'll do better in arguments if you do not simultaneously demonstrate that you have either not bothered or utterly failed to understand what that person wrote. Please go back and try again. Your attempt to put words into my mouth, also, is a logical fallacy known as the strawman. Using logical fallacies also makes your arguments less convincing. At this point you're basically talking to yourself and doing nothing productive.
    I made a few R11s last night and this morning. My pres ward cost were 63, 5, 0, 8, 3, 0, 16, 2, 11, 1
    So after finally upgrading the dark enchantment from hell, I had a very good streak which included two free upgrades. The effective rate was 12% vs 5%.
    I had a number of 10/20/25% upgrades that went 3-4x worst than average. Luckily, this streak offset those losses. So pretty good weekend for me so far.
  • greyhawk#1973 greyhawk Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    I made a Lesser Vorpal; a normal Vorpal; a Perfect Dread; and a Lesser Negation with about 80 preservation wards. That's four 1% upgrade for less than a discounted coalescent ward.... And in a span I've 10 minutes!

I've also used over 50 pres wards taking an artifact from epic to legendary.

I'm not sure about how their RNG works, but I know she's a fickle mistress. :)