test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

In praise of this game (and why I left ESO for Neverwinter)

Okay, so this is going to be a long post, but I just wanted to give the developers some kudos for this great game and explain why I prefer it to so many other MMO's out there, particularly Elder Scrolls Online(ESO)--from whence I came, after having played that game since launch. While I know it's always fashionable to complain and moan about a game on its forums, I wanted to take some time to detail all the things this game does RIGHT. Granted, I've only played this game for a few weeks, but there is still so much I've seen that impresses me compared to ESO and most other MMO's I've played.

Here are the big things this game does RIGHT, and the big reasons I prefer it:

1) As a newb, I don't feel hopelessly behind in this game.

In ESO and most other MMO's, it can take months (or even years) for a casual newb to reach end-game content. And the "grind" to end-level is a NIGHTMARE. I've played ESO since launch and I *STILL* feel hopelessly behind in the game. If you're not playing 10 hours a day and buying every expansion that comes out, you're ALWAYS hopelessly behind. And your guildies treat you like dirt if you don't have the latest expansion pack and the new Super Awesome Helm of Something that you can only get by grinding the new Super Hard Dungeon of Woe about a million times.

In this game, I've never felt that end-game is hopelessly out of reach. Level progression so far has been quite reasonable, even after level 60. Everyone complaining about the 60-70 "grind" in NW has obviously never experienced the grind of doing Vet levels in ESO. Imagine grinding every day for a week and barely seeing your level progression bar move. Now THAT's a grind.

2) The coop and PvP elements of this game are fun, rewarding, and easy to get into.

Let me paint a picture of what coop and PvP is like in ESO. To do a coop dungeon, you wait FOREVER in a queue, then you spend an hour+ (or HOURS if it's a Vet dungeon) going through it, only to reach the final boss and wipe repeatedly, all the while praying that some member of your party doesn't quit in disgust. And all this for some junk gear that you can't use and with no real financial reward. And you can't even sell the junk gear you get unless you happen to be in an exclusive trade guild, because there is no auction house.

And PvP is even WORSE. You're dumped on a huge map alone, with no real goal other than "help your alliance." You may then discover that your "alliance" is either hopelessly outnumbered or in complete control of the map already (leaving you with basically nothing to do either way). And, even if you do manage to find a non-lopsided fight, what is your reward? Some Alliance Points that are basically worthless and no XP. Little wonder why so few players participate.

By contrast, coop and PvP in NW is fun and rewarding. Queue waits are minimal. You get great AD just for participating. And the dungeon runs, skirmishes, and PvP matches are well-balanced and don't take a ridiculous investment in time to do. And "fun" is the key word there. I have *FUN* doing coop and PvP in NW. In ESO coop and PvP are a slog, and usually give you no real rewards.

3) The paywall in this game is reasonable and doesn't feel forced on you.

A lot of people complain about this game being P2W. But you forget that even B2P and subscription MMO's have cash shops now with similar offerings. You also don't appreciate that NW is one of the few games that lets you (legally) exchange in-game currency for cash-shop currency and doesn't require you to pay for expansions. Try playing other MMO's for a while and you'll see some REAL paywalls.

4) The story content is rich and deep, but not overwhelming.

The lore and depth are defintely there in this game and you can go as deep as you like into the Forgotten Realms D&D mythology that goes back decades. But it never gets in the way of play or feels overwhelming, unlike with ESO or many other MMO's.

5) The console community is active and thriving.

This is probably the only MMO I've ever seen with a thriving Xbox community. Most other MMO's are either PC-only (with all the attendent "master race" nonsense) or have relatively weak console communities. If you play ESO or Elite Dangerous on an Xbox or PS4, you're always treated like a second-class citizen. In NW, the console community seems to be much more respected.

6) The auction house makes buying and selling easy.

Other MMO's have auction houses, but many (including ESO) don't. To sell anything in ESO, you have to be a member of a decent trade guild (most of which have very expensive weekly dues). Otherwise, your only choice to sell any gear is to get a pittance for it at a merchant or stand on a street corner hawking it in chat.

So having said all that, there are some things I wish were better. Though they pale in comparison to the "pluses," IMHO:

1) It's not as "open world" as ESO and some other MMO's.

This doesn't bother me so much. The maps in NW are plenty big enough for me, and the "exploration" in most MMO's is overrated anyway. You get bigger maps in open-world games, but they're usually just big empty spaces anyway. There is no real reward in most MMO's for exploration. Elite Dangerous is the perfect example of this. A whole galaxy to explore just to see same few dozen planets and stars over-and-over again.

2) I wish there was a more active online community for the game.

I do wish there were some podcasts, more websites, etc. dedicated to NW. This games deserves much more attention than it gets.

3) There are WAY too may currencies in this game.

Whatever the reasoning, there had to be a better way to do it than this. I feel like I need an encyclodpedia just to keep up with all the different currencies in this game and where to spend them.

Anyway, that's my take on the game so far. Will I still feel the same way a year from now? Don't know. But I'm sure enjoying it right now. And as soon as I get some money coming in, I plan on buying a mount and VIP access just as a way to say thanks to the developers for a fun game.

Comments

• armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    It's good to see the other side of the coin and it's true you really don't have to P2W, sure you get there faster but everything becomes pointless very quickly that way.

Most people that complain are either ex-mod 5 players (like me) who remember the synergy of the old system and compare it to the present, which is just, well, cheaper - or are overly competitive pubescents who resent someone else getting a higher paingiver score than them and want everyone nerfed except for their class.

On the whole it's a good game. The one thing I would want Cryptic to do is engage more fully in two-way discussions with the community, it's the one thing they have always been truly bad at.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • livefast1#9341 livefast1 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    The game becomes much more grind and tedious after 70+. It can take months for significant upgrades past 2.8 itl. Even if you play ALOT. Therefore the people who feel the need to be the best or be a mainly pvp character have to spend money. At least most of the content is doable fairly easily at 2.8. except with the new mods dungeon being at 3.1 itl entry. Forcing people to grind, pay, or quit.
  • dratomic1#3275 dratomic1 Member Posts: 66 Arc User

It can take months for significant upgrades past 2.8 itl. Even if you play ALOT. Therefore the people who feel the need to be the best or be a mainly pvp character have to spend money. At least most of the content is doable fairly easily at 2.8. except with the new mods dungeon being at 3.1 itl entry. Forcing people to grind, pay, or quit.

Nonsense. If you dedicate your time to 1 character then getting to 3500 is easy enough.

However people seem to love to cry that it's hard getting past 2500-2800, yet fail to commit to their character, don't have the boons and are utter failures in edemo / tiamat. Getting to 3k and beyond requires commitment, hence the 3k+ groups, the high level content requires smart play by players that understand their characters and their roles and the situation they are in.
  • mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    But that's the whole point... the grind requires commitment.

I made 70 in a few weeks, and went from 1.7 to 2.5 in about 2 months. I've spent the past month or two building my companion set and finally getting the epic mount I've been after. Consequently my IL has barely risen, (in fact at one point it dropped as I swapped some stuff out for gear that gave my powers and boons more pazaz.)

In that time I've also finished many of the campaigns and built boons so while my IL hasn't changed greatly, my TR now hits far harder, and stays alive far longer.

I *could* have dumped a bunch of cash and bought the mount, and companions in one day and ground out for tons of refinement. And while I do buy Zen every now and then, its more as a donation to the game than a serious attempt to buy gear.

Like the OP says, NWO is one of the best options for anyone who likes the idea of time rich/cash poor players being just as important to the economy as cash rich/time poor players who throw money into their coffers.

without grinding players farming the AD for the well off to trade, and the items they then buy... NWO would slowly die.

The only way I foresee myself dropping out is when STO comes out in a couple of months.

Like pallmor says, its de rigeur to slag the game on its own forums for every perceived slight, but in my opinion, NWO is one the best games available on XBONE.
  • kuero21kuero21 Member Posts: 454 Arc User
    I considered if I should play ESO instead of NW. I have watched several gameplays but in the end I dont like ESO at all.
    ESO has good graphics and nice colors, also its an open world mmo but beside that I could not find any decent reason to play it.

If just one of the better mmos out there make it to console, I dont think the current ones will survive.
    The first game I got for XBO was Destiny. And while I enjoyed the basic campaign, I realised quickly that it was going to cost quite a bit to play the whole game.

I loved Skyrim for 360, and was all ready to buy ESO, but after my Destiny experience decided to look into the real costs.
    It did look very expensive, and then someone pointed me to NW. I expected to play for a few weeks then hit the pay wall. But then I realised that I could trade AD for Zen...

The thing is, any games company could run a similar F2P model, but it would need to be a HAMSTER hot game that has a lot of game play and captures the imagination of its player base.
    But more importantly, it would need to be understood that most of the player base will be subsidised by a smaller number of players.

I often read on here about how PW are only interested in forcing open everyone's wallet. But I have never felt that. And the fact that the Zen market never dries up is testament to how the system works well.

The only times you need to buy zen are if you either;
    a) want something in a hurry
    b) don't have the time to grind
    c) want to contribute to the game designer.

Any other time you can grind the AD and trade for zen...

I'm in the UK and since starting I've spent hundreds of pounds worth of zen, but bought less than a hundred pounds worth. But the designers' don't mind, because they realise that people like me provide the people actually buying those zen with a reason for buying it.

I've never felt the slightest pressure to pay to play or that PW are trying to raid my wallet.
  • pallmor#4634 pallmor Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    Oh, and I forgot a BIG one: EVENTS! This game has fun weekly and quarterly events like the Summer Festival and the CTA event last weekend. ESO and Elite have no regular events to speak of and no rewards for participating in them even when they do rarely have them. These events in NW are a way-cool way to feel like you're in a real community of players.

I even got a nice-looking Shadow Wolf out of the CTA. And I would have gotten that water horse too if I hadn't came in on the tail-end of the Summer Festival.

Oh, and I forgot a BIG one: EVENTS! This game has fun weekly and quarterly events like the Summer Festival and the CTA event last weekend. ESO and Elite have no regular events to speak of and no rewards for participating in them even when they do rarely have them. These events in NW are a way-cool way to feel like you're in a real community of players.

I even got a nice-looking Shadow Wolf out of the CTA. And I would have gotten that water horse too if I hadn't came in on the tail-end of the Summer Festival.

Just wait till the events come in the wrong order, or without due warning, or get cancelled.
    Even for an internet forum for a computer game, the rage is quite astonishing.

I think people forget the events are bonus material.

Just check the "grrr where are my double AD???? It's not fair!!!!!!!" threads.

I've decided to ignore the calendar, and if a useful double event happens, so much the better.
    It might mean slower progress, but it looks like the alternative runs the risk of needing prescription beta blockers.
    Haa very true.

I've played for about 16 months, almost since release on xbox and I've spent maybe $20, all on keys & that was in the 1st couple of weeks.

I actually like the 1-60 levelling content, I've done it 8 times now. 60-70 is easier now we don't have to repeat vigilance tasks, just run the 8x3 and move on. getting to 2.6k is very easy now I understand what I'm doing and have resources that I can transfer over - getting from there to 3k requires a 2x RP and enough AD + refinement which means taking a bit of time (depending on how long you have to wait & how much AD you can generate).

But the thing is an mmo is supposed to take months to get properly geared, if you need instant gratification then you should play FPS games.

Its all about managing your expectations and if you quickly come to terms with the idea that HAMSTER takes time to achieve you dont mind so much when you do take time to get better.
    I chose to join a low level guild because I'll get more long term gameplay out of helping get to the good stuff. That's my choice, and I could have gone for easier access through a higher guild, but as much as I want to be able to stand my ground on CN, its more important to me that I enjoy the process of getting there.

It seems that a lot of people want to burn through everything quickly, and then complain that there's no more new material, or that then reaching the dizzy heights costs too much cash to continue progressing at the same rate.

Its an unrealistic expectation, and I'll gladly stay a middling 2.5k -2.8k and enjoying the game rather than an angry 3.8k who seems to think the game exists to make them miserable, and that every decision the devs make is some specific attempt to HAMSTER them off.

I played the Paranoia rpg in the 90's... I don't need it for real on an MMO...
    Mind you... if they ever DO get round to unleashing The Foundry on XB, I'll probably takes years to get near to 3k... my son is obsessed with Infinity and Project Spark, and my daughter used to help me mod NWN2, and both want to play NWO.
    Modding NWO is just about a dream ticket for me.
  • jokeey#0578 jokeey Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Yup there is no paywall in this game I, thought that when I first played but I can make 1mill ad in a week now.. just playing the market and buy zen cheap then sell that for ad when zen exchange goes up made 700k yesterday
    null
    No crying here dude, just stating from my experience. I have a job, a life, a girl. I don't spend 8 hours a day on the game. I'm sure if you did, you would understand where I'm coming from.
    The amount of time you play will always be the major factor.
    If it were easy to move quickly with little play time, then those with lots of available time would still be far ahead of those with little.
    The disparity would always exist. It would simply be at a higher level, the end game stuff would be harder, and the players with time/money would get there quicker.

The situation would be the same as it is now, except people would be debating the relative merits of the upcoming L250 armour sets.

MMOs require time investment by their nature. That's not unique to NWO.

If you can't invest either time or money into an MMO you either need to accept that progress will be slow, or find a type of game that better suits your circumstances.

I have a wife, kids, and I'm self employed... 8 hours a WEEK is often the best I can manage, and the fact I have kids limits how much money I have to throw at cartoon horses and magic keys. But I don't expect PW to change their business model to suit my circumstances. I understand the limitations my life imposes on a video game.
  • thedramacusthedramacus Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    armadeonx said:

But the thing is an mmo is supposed to take months to get properly geared, if you need instant gratification then you should play FPS games.

Felt that was worth repeating...

Dramacus 3.1 SW, Raven 2.9 HR, Aurora Shadowbain 2.7 GF, Mirduatas Vras 2.5 DC
    Si Vis Pacem 2.5 DC, Jade Shadowbain 2.4 CW, Para Bellum 1.5 GWF, President Not Sure lvl 69 OP
    Faith Shadowbain lvl 69 DC, Toof Fairy lvl 68 GWF, Arnie Shadowbain lvl 63 GF

Your Credit Card Has Been Declined
  • indylolindylol Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    The "paywall" argument is actually false now. I play on PS4 and XB1, and there are a handful of packs that are locked in the $ store on PSN. Sure they aren't required to play the game, but its pretty corny to make a free game and say "we've got a shiny new race, bag, and artifact plus other fun stuff for $75."

Neverwinter itself is a fine game but i'm about to take a few weeks to hop into ESO as I've accomplished everything that there is to do as a f2p on neverwinter. The main thing OP has missed in his comparisons is experience in NWs endgame. You will quickly find that all there is to do is statistically improve your character. Theres no epic quest chain that takes weeks to unlock some amazing item, no mounts to grind because they have a tiny drop chance. Just get better stats or cosmetics. Once you've had your fill on both you'll see the content is a bit more shallow than ESO.
    B) LGPG Leader B)
    Indy - XB1 & PS4 - GF
    xeV Indy - PS4 - TR
    Nde - XB1 - HR
    GT: its indy time
    PSN: itsindytime
    Twitch: indygoinlive
    The Kanye West of Neverwinter

Just wait till the events come in the wrong order, or without due warning, or get cancelled.
    Even for an internet forum for a computer game, the rage is quite astonishing.

I think people forget the events are bonus material.

Just check the "grrr where are my double AD???? It's not fair!!!!!!!" threads.

I've decided to ignore the calendar, and if a useful double event happens, so much the better.
    It might mean slower progress, but it looks like the alternative runs the risk of needing prescription beta blockers.

Coming from an MMO that didn't even have events, I'm just thrilled to have anything at all. That said, I think it's going to take me a very long time to upgrade my Wondrous Gadget to a Doohickey.

The game becomes much more grind and tedious after 70+. It can take months for significant upgrades past 2.8 itl. Even if you play ALOT. Therefore the people who feel the need to be the best or be a mainly pvp character have to spend money. At least most of the content is doable fairly easily at 2.8. except with the new mods dungeon being at 3.1 itl entry. Forcing people to grind, pay, or quit.

If you want to be one of the best, it takes a lot of time (and/or money). That's true in any MMO, even the ones that charge monthly subs. Personally, I'm fine being just an okay player. I've never aspired for greatness. I'd rather just play for fun and take what comes.

A foolish man is one who, calls the opinions of others nonsense, for it is merely their point of view.
    I know that in internetland and in particular on contentious fora, there's a popular misconception that simply having an opinion means that that opinion is just as valid and worthy as anyone else's.
    Unfortunately, (and, it seems, especially in internetland) that's simply not the case.

Opinions often stem from preconceived misconceptions, and ill informed partisan stances.

Opinions can, in fact, be utter nonsense whether the person voicing them has a right to state them or not.

One of the most popular online opinions is that one person's dissatisfaction with something is the inevitable outcome for everyone who experiences that thing... and that by voicing their "opinion" to that end makes it a fact.

The idea that one persons bad experience will inevitably be shared by everyone else... that's as close to nonsense as it gets.. cos it makes no sense.
    A fragile man is one who reads offence where none was given simply because the other disagreed.

• wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    I played ESO for 1 week... It had no damage numbers and was just boring and HAMSTER... Neverwinter is far far better... Just needs more Dungeons :)
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
    More varied dungeons might.

If you are queuing for something that needs X tanks and healers then yeah, more dungeons would probably mean longer queues. But dungeons designed for primary DPS might possibly get more people queuing.

I read the other day that the Foundry idea may have been shelved, but if it ever does come to XBONE I'll show you what I mean.

If the STO Foundry is coming as part of the XB package, I can only hope that people use it and PW see how having User Created Material can help bring vitality to a game.